Photo
- - - - -

RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1162 replies to this topic

#1141 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

No.

#1142 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

future prediction time up ins: Am i going to buy a 3ds for lalaloopsy carnival of friends?

ftfy

#1143 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

I only have four PS2 games left in my backlog: Sakura Wars, Persona 4, Tales of the Abyss, and Valkyrie Profile 2. Debating on getting rid of that last one (it's still sealed) since I never played the first game and hear this sequel has a lot of references to it that one should be aware of. Hrm...

Don't have Sakura Wars, but have the other three.

Also have:

Suikoden III
Rogue Galaxy
Phantasy Star Universe
Digital Devil Saga I & II
Shadowhearts Covenant
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Quest VIII

And that's just the RPG backlog.

The next one I'll probably finish of those is FF X, because I'm pretty close to the end on that one.
Posted Image

#1144 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

I don't have a PSP, though :-|

You can pick up one of those on the cheap too.

The next one I'll probably finish of those is FF X, because I'm pretty close to the end on that one.

You can probably just throw that away.

#1145 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

FF X wasn't that bad. Voice acting aside, the story was decent, and so were the characters. FF X-2 on the otherhand.....

Out of those games, you should play Rogue Galaxy next IMO.

#1146 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

FF X-2 on the otherhand.......

Was a much better game.

Okay, maybe not much better, but the combat was definitely on top.

#1147 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

You can probably just throw that away.

Being so close to the end, I should finish it. But, I wasn't all that impressed by it. Bad acting, mostly sucky characters. Story was decent, but it was hard for me to care.

FF X wasn't that bad. Voice acting aside, the story was decent, and so were the characters. FF X-2 on the otherhand.....

As others have said, I've heard good things about the combat system, but not really in a hurry to start it.

Out of those games, you should play Rogue Galaxy next IMO.

Probably next on my list. I actually got a decent way in before I stopped. (I'm in the prison right now.) I liked what I did play.
Posted Image

#1148 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

You can pick up one of those on the cheap too.

But then my backlog would grow exponentially, what with all the other JRPGs on there @_@

Was a much better game.

Okay, maybe not much better, but the combat was definitely on top.

It's a happier (in a good way) game, too. Plus it has Sphere Break.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#1149 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Probably next on my list. I actually got a decent way in before I stopped. (I'm in the prison right now.) I liked what I did play.

I remember there being a part in that game where one of the characters from the very underdeveloped planet tells another character that they sound like a broken record.

Shouldn't have even known what a record was. Immersion shattered.

But then my backlog would grow exponentially, what with all the other JRPGs on there @_@

Exactly.

It's a happier (in a good way) game, too. Plus it has Sphere Break.

I'm not too hot on Sphere Break, but if there's anything I'll give to FFX is that it has Blitzball, the best minigame to ever come out of a FF.

#1150 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

X is so good, been itching to replay it but will wait for the HD version. Hope they do the same for XII.

#1151 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Picked up FF XIII-2 on the cheap and have about 10 hours into it. As someone who hated XIII I'm surprised to say I'm really enjoying it!

#1152 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

I'm not too hot on Sphere Break, but if there's anything I'll give to FFX is that it has Blitzball, the best minigame to ever come out of a FF.

Blitzball sucks. I was never able to win a match, so I gave up on it.
Posted Image

#1153 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

I'm hoping something good for the :psp: goes on sale this tuesday so I can maybe switch out from playing Yggarda Union.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1154 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

X is so good, been itching to replay it but will wait for the HD version. Hope they do the same for XII.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the HD version as well, since it's my favorite game and all. The voice acting was the worst part of the game, but I still listen to the soundtrack every day, and I miss the Sphere Grid when I play other Final Fantasy games. X-2 was pretty bad, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Loved Paine and the Music.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#1155 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I didn't like Blitzball either.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#1156 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

Had fun reading through these and these so thought I'd drop the link here.

#1157 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

Some of those are kinda lame, but I fucking loved the Shard Vigil and Corrupted Blood. Not covered in the Cracked articles, but the history of the Goonswarm Vs Band of Brothers in EVE Online is fucking fascinating, even for a non-EVE player like myself.

Gamasutra also had a really good article on Ultima Online the other day. One of the developers was reminiscing about a bunch of griefers who blocked off the main exit to a city by building a massive pile of furniture to clog up the gateway, and creating a gauntlet of high-level PKers at the only other exit. It was only cleared up when the devs released a patch allowing players to destroy furniture with axes.

Posted Image

#1158 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

Working through Dragon Quest VI again. Am stuck at the first dungeon after you can dive. It's a long one and I don't think my characters are leveled enough. There's some tough enemies in there too.
Posted Image

#1159 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

I suddenly got in a Harvest Moon mood, so I may just play A Wonderful Life (another backlogged game) and put off Tales of the Abyss...
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#1160 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

The wife actually just got back into playing Harvest Moon on the PS2.
Posted Image

#1161 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Well actually Blitzball was just really broken at first it's really hard to win matches since your team sucks then as you approach the end of the game you can buy some of the best players and then just stomp all over the other teams, although one of them has an insane goal tender (Al Bhed I think) who can even block point blank jecht shots. Outside of that it's basically just learning to take advantage of the really stupid defense the AI runs to make them leave huge gaps open which isn't hard if you basically steer their entire team to one side. Honestly the worst thing about Blitzball is after you get an insane team you still end up having to play a ton of matches which are super easy but the matches aren't that short, so it's this snore fest of you just doing the same thing over and over until you've won as many matches as you want.

--

On a totally unrelated note. Although not exactly an RPG (although Steam classified it as one so I guess it counts?) I highly recommend checking out To the Moon, the story is fantastic (the soundtrack is really nice too). I just finished it straight through without stopping and I seriously can't stop thinking about it.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#1162 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Outside of that it's basically just learning to take advantage of the really stupid defense the AI runs to make them leave huge gaps open which isn't hard if you basically steer their entire team to one side. Honestly the worst thing about Blitzball is after you get an insane team you still end up having to play a ton of matches which are super easy but the matches aren't that short, so it's this snore fest of you just doing the same thing over and over until you've won as many matches as you want.

I feel like everything you said here applies to the actual combat in the game as well.

#1163 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

On a totally unrelated note. Although not exactly an RPG (although Steam classified it as one so I guess it counts?) I highly recommend checking out To the Moon, the story is fantastic (the soundtrack is really nice too). I just finished it straight through without stopping and I seriously can't stop thinking about it.

I would have liked to have gotten it with the bundle it was in, but I have this problem of no job right now.
Posted Image