Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS3) $29.99 @ Newegg

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

The Ico/Shadow collection also had one less game that had to be ported. The developers also didn't have to spend time and money bringing that collection to two different systems. They could focus solely on the strengths of the PS3. In a way the extras helped to justify the $40 price tag to consumers when other companies were offering 3-game collections for the same price. Plus Sony didn't have to worry about paying any hardware royalties to publish the game. That allowed them a larger profit margin on each disc sold compared to the DMC collection and therefore they could justify investing more the collection's development.

I'm sorry, but there is no reason Capcom couldn't have done a proper job on this and still maintained the $40 price tag. There are literally companies now that specialize in these HD remakes and they essentially do the work for a few hundred thousand dollars using a small team. Hardware royalties and replication fees are very minimal and other companies seem to deal with them just fine on their HD collections. Capcom just did what they have been doing more and more lately which is delivering the bare minimum to squeeze out the maximum profit.

#32 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

Buddy of mine loves Silent Hill. He bought this used at GS and returned it 3 days later.

#33 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:03 AM

I had a friend who plays CoD and liked this game

#34 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:09 AM

I'm sorry, but there is no reason Capcom couldn't have done a proper job on this and still maintained the $40 price tag. There are literally companies now that specialize in these HD remakes and they essentially do the work for a few hundred thousand dollars using a small team. Hardware royalties and replication fees are very minimal and other companies seem to deal with them just fine on their HD collections. Capcom just did what they have been doing more and more lately which is delivering the bare minimum to squeeze out the maximum profit.

The royalties are in no way minimal. According to this link it's $7 per copy that goes to the platform owner for a $60 game. That may scale down to somewhere around $5 for a $40 game.

If you want a company that delivers the bare minimum when it comes to these collections, look no further than Ubisoft. In the Prince of Persia trilogy they cropped part of the screen off to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio and completely cut the multiplayer content from the Splinter Cell collection.

My point is the Ico/SotC collection offers you 2 games + extras for $40. The DMC collection offers you 3 games as-is for the same price. To me they're both pretty solid good collections.

Edited by Thrinn, 13 June 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#35 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Does these DMC games work better on a control pad or a control stick? If it works better on the pad, I'll just pick it up for PS3.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#36 TheKbob

TheKbob

Rock On, Duder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

I held off and I'm glad I did. Not updating the cut scenes is a damned shame. $20 or less, now.

I got Lollipop Chainsaw instead for $45 on Amazon.

"aaronrodgers" ... your avatar. I don't have a 360 anymore, but Lost Odyssey was brilliant. I still listen to the soundtrack. Those dream sequences were incredibly moving.
Posted Image

#37 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:54 AM

The games run at 60fps with cleaned up textures and visuals. What more do you want? I really don't understand. It's bare-bones porting, but it's solid, and when you look at the disaster that is the Silent Hill HD Collection, I think it becomes obvious how bad HD Collections can actually become. There was considerable work done on each of the titles.

For those who are saying that Capcom (actually Foundation 9 did the porting) didn't upgrade the visuals, I dare you to go back to the original games and see how they look by comparison.

Also, several of the cutscenes can't be up-res'd because they're actual movies. They'd have to completely remake the entire cutscene in order to make it "HD", and I'm pretty sure they don't have the assets to do that anymore (nor is ANY HD port job likely ever going to do that. Look at actual CG cutscenes in any HD port out now.). The more extravagant cutscenes in DMC3 were created in-engine for a uniform look, but they are still just movies in video format. A lot of you are expecting way too much out of an HD Collection, frankly. I can understand wanting to wait for a lower price, but this is absolutely NOT a bad port.

Does these DMC games work better on a control pad or a control stick? If it works better on the pad, I'll just pick it up for PS3.

The d-pad in DMC3 actually toggles menus, so the stick is the only real way to control.

I held off and I'm glad I did. Not updating the cut scenes is a damned shame. $20 or less, now.

I got Lollipop Chainsaw instead for $45 on Amazon.

FYI, most of the cutscenes actually are updated so that they fit widescreen format, and a lot of the cutscenes ARE in HD because they were rendered in-game. Like I said above, the cutscenes that are just movies rendered in-engine, however have minimal touching up. Unfortunately, that means the crazier cutscenes are more pixelated since those were the ones that required the most editing and couldn't be run in real time during the PS2 era (they still look good, though). It's honestly just not realistic. Though, I can understand wanting to wait for $20.

Edited by GuardianE, 13 June 2012 - 04:04 AM.

My name is in your Resident Evil 5 manual. ;)

#38 TheKbob

TheKbob

Rock On, Duder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

Edit: NVM you addressed what I said, awesome.

And yep, $20 seems fit for these games as I have played them already (even DMC2... I pre-ordered that, beat it in a day, and flipped it).

It'll be cheaper soon.
Posted Image

#39 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:09 AM

Edit: NVM you addressed what I said, awesome.

And yep, $20 seems fit for these games as I have played them already (even DMC2... I pre-ordered that, beat it in a day, and flipped it).

It'll be cheaper soon.

I'm not sure what your question was, but the biggest gripe aesthetically that I had with the collection was that some of the menus are in 4:3 and some of DMC1's cutscenes are in 4:3. The menus being in 4:3 is just nitpicky, in my opinion. I personally couldn't care less that the menu doesn't take up the whole screen as long as the menu is in HD.

As for the cutscenes, it again has to do with the limitations of the video cutscenes. In DMC1, there wasn't a letterbox in the cutscenes that were in video format, whereas in DMC3 did use letterbox. This let them edit DMC3 cutscenes, but they unfortunately didn't have the same flexibility with DMC1.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Lollipop Chainsaw. I have it pre-ordered myself, so enjoy! :)

#40 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

The d-pad in DMC3 actually toggles menus, so the stick is the only real way to control.

Thanks! I'll get it for 360 then. :D

"aaronrodgers" ... your avatar. I don't have a 360 anymore, but Lost Odyssey was brilliant. I still listen to the soundtrack. Those dream sequences were incredibly moving.

Lost Odyssey is one of my all time favorite games of ever. xD The battle theme is a ringtone on my phone. The Thousand Years of Dreams were amazing.

Will always have wonderful memories of LO. Great to talk with other fans.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#41 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:55 AM

I'm waiting for $19.99 or less on this one. All these HD rereleases are not all that impressive really, you could get better results with your PS2 discs in an emulator sadly.

ostzsk.jpg

#42 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

The games run at 60fps with cleaned up textures and visuals. What more do you want? I really don't understand. It's bare-bones porting, but it's solid, and when you look at the disaster that is the Silent Hill HD Collection, I think it becomes obvious how bad HD Collections can actually become. There was considerable work done on each of the titles.

For those who are saying that Capcom (actually Foundation 9 did the porting) didn't upgrade the visuals, I dare you to go back to the original games and see how they look by comparison.

Also, several of the cutscenes can't be up-res'd because they're actual movies. They'd have to completely remake the entire cutscene in order to make it "HD", and I'm pretty sure they don't have the assets to do that anymore (nor is ANY HD port job likely ever going to do that. Look at actual CG cutscenes in any HD port out now.). The more extravagant cutscenes in DMC3 were created in-engine for a uniform look, but they are still just movies in video format. A lot of you are expecting way too much out of an HD Collection, frankly. I can understand wanting to wait for a lower price, but this is absolutely NOT a bad port.

FYI, most of the cutscenes actually are updated so that they fit widescreen format, and a lot of the cutscenes ARE in HD because they were rendered in-game. Like I said above, the cutscenes that are just movies rendered in-engine, however have minimal touching up. Unfortunately, that means the crazier cutscenes are more pixelated since those were the ones that required the most editing and couldn't be run in real time during the PS2 era (they still look good, though). It's honestly just not realistic. Though, I can understand wanting to wait for $20.

Thanks for the great post addressing all the ignorant whining in this thread.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#43 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the great post addressing all the ignorant whining in this thread.

Nothing ignorant about it at all. Most of us just won't pay $40 for something that is not much better than we already own. Consumers like yourself who accept the bare minimum are the reason why Capcom and other companies will continue to do a half assed job on these collections.

#44 sixteenvolt420

sixteenvolt420

Hidefninja.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

$20-$25 is my range for this. Should be about another 2 or 3 months for me to wait.

sixteenvolt420.png

#45 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

Nothing ignorant about it at all. Most of us just won't pay $40 for something that is not much better than we already own. Consumers like yourself who accept the bare minimum are the reason why Capcom and other companies will continue to do a half assed job on these collections.

The HD versions of DMC 1, 2 and 3 are far better looking than the originals and much more than the bare minimum of effort went into making them. Look at the Silent Hill HD collection to see an actual example of a half-assed HD port, instead of embarrassing yourself by claiming DMC HD is some sort of hack job when it clearly is not.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#46 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

Also, DMC 3 has 'bonus content' and is the "special edition". Don't think you'll find that anywhere else. Do not know exactly what it offers as a bonus, haven't opened it yet.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

Also, DMC 3 has 'bonus content' and is the "special edition". Don't think you'll find that anywhere else. Do not know exactly what it offers as a bonus, haven't opened it yet.

It allows you to play as Vergil, as well as some other content I can't remember.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#48 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

The HD versions of DMC 1, 2 and 3 are far better looking than the originals and much more than the bare minimum of effort went into making them. Look at the Silent Hill HD collection to see an actual example of a half-assed HD port, instead of embarrassing yourself by claiming DMC HD is some sort of hack job when it clearly is not.

To me, Ico and Shadow collection is the gold standard. If it's not up to that (which clearly it's not), there really is no point. I already own and have played through the originals. I don't need something that just has a quick gloss of paint and some upscaling for another $40. There really is little point in continuing to argue this. If you think it's a good deal, by all means buy it. The rest of us will either wait for a significant price drop or not bother at all.

#49 HanawayCoca

HanawayCoca

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

You can also nab one for about $25 - $28 on Ebay brand new.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item231e0d7786

#50 Zen Rukasu

Zen Rukasu

Yo No Comprendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

To me, Ico and Shadow collection is the gold standard. If it's not up to that (which clearly it's not), there really is no point. I already own and have played through the originals. I don't need something that just has a quick gloss of paint and some upscaling for another $40. There really is little point in continuing to argue this. If you think it's a good deal, by all means buy it. The rest of us will either wait for a significant price drop or not bother at all.

Judging from your perspective, you're better off not buying it all.

#51 headbanger1186

headbanger1186

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:41 PM

Thanks! I'll get it for 360 then. :D

Lost Odyssey is one of my all time favorite games of ever. xD The battle theme is a ringtone on my phone. The Thousand Years of Dreams were amazing.

Will always have wonderful memories of LO. Great to talk with other fans.

Lost Odyssey is officially the RPG of this gen...it's sad when it's better and feels more like Final Fantasy than FF actually does nowadays. Of course it makes sense seeing as how it was headed by Sakaguchi and the soundtrack was perfect thanks to Uematsu. If it is the last masterpiece I play by them I will be happy because what a title it was. Final Fantasy 7 was my title of the Psone days, Suikoden 3 won me over in the PS2 era and this gen I'm glad to say LO will Always stand out. With the laziness and trend RPGs are taking these days I hope there is something as amazing this next era..

#52 chunlirocks

chunlirocks

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

Lost Odyssey is officially the RPG of this gen...it's sad when it's better and feels more like Final Fantasy than FF actually does nowadays. Of course it makes sense seeing as how it was headed by Sakaguchi and the soundtrack was perfect thanks to Uematsu. If it is the last masterpiece I play by them I will be happy because what a title it was. Final Fantasy 7 was my title of the Psone days, Suikoden 3 won me over in the PS2 era and this gen I'm glad to say LO will Always stand out. With the laziness and trend RPGs are taking these days I hope there is something as amazing this next era..

Demon's Souls is brokitten tho the Odyssey of the Lost is pretty solid
:joystick: CERTIFIED GRADE A VIDIOT:joystick:

IN MY CONSOLES - NOW PLAYING:
:ps3: BLAZBLUE and DEMON's SOULS
:360: MUSHIHIMESAMA FUTARI 1. 5
:ps2: EVERBLUE 2
:wii: METROID PRIME TRILOGY
:psp: Field Commander
:xbox: XYANIDE

#53 Bleedingwickedly

Bleedingwickedly

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

Didn't even realize this was released already. Never played a DMC game, but i always wanted to check them out. Regardless the job on the HD, is it worth getting if ou never played them before? Also, what's the gameplay like, God of War? Hack n Slash?

#54 headbanger1186

headbanger1186

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Not reall sure what brokitten is but I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for their old school difficulty and relentlessness, but I mean like turn based and pure JRPG. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are really excellent Dark Action Adventure titles. From Software is one of my favorite developers out there...I have loved them ever since Otogi graced me with it's presence.. there is an HD collection I'd like,...Otogi 1 and 2.
Posted Image

#55 trunks982

trunks982

Wii are the Champions!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

u mean Lost Odyssey?

#56 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

Didn't even realize this was released already. Never played a DMC game, but i always wanted to check them out. Regardless the job on the HD, is it worth getting if ou never played them before? Also, what's the gameplay like, God of War? Hack n Slash?

Definitely pick it up when you get a chance. DMC1 and DMC3 are insta-classics. DMC2 is a notable blemish on the entire series, but the other two are amazing. These games birthed the standard for the entire action genre. Without DMC, GoW might never have existed, though the gameplay is more like Bayonetta than GoW.

Generally speaking, DMC1 gets a lot of praise for its aesthetics and design. DMC3 gets a lot of praise for its revolutionary combat. It's hack and slash, but on a more technical level. It requires finesse, precision, and manual dexterity... and it takes a little while for it to all "click". But once it does, the experience is unparalleled. Like Bayonetta, these games were also all intended to be played through on multiple difficulties with New Game+ features. The harder difficulties rebalance enemy placement, patterns, and enemy skills.

There are varying degrees of skill with which you can approach DMC. To an extent, you can mash buttons and spam items to get through the game, but the GOAL of the game is Stylish Action, and you want to be as slick as possible with your combos. Here are some examples of expert play in DMC3:

These are just examples though. You can find plenty of videos of all the games on Youtube. Hope this helps!

Edited by GuardianE, 14 June 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#57 Bleedingwickedly

Bleedingwickedly

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Definitely pick it up when you get a chance. DMC1 and DMC3 are insta-classics. DMC2 is a notable blemish on the entire series, but the other two are amazing. These games birthed the standard for the entire action genre. Without DMC, GoW might never have existed, though the gameplay is more like Bayonetta than GoW.

Generally speaking, DMC1 gets a lot of praise for its aesthetics and design. DMC3 gets a lot of praise for its revolutionary combat. It's hack and slash, but on a more technical level. It requires finesse, precision, and manual dexterity... and it takes a little while for it to all "click". But once it does, the experience is unparalleled. Like Bayonetta, these games were also all intended to be played through on multiple difficulties with New Game+ features. The harder difficulties rebalance enemy placement, patterns, and enemy skills.

There are varying degrees of skill with which you can approach DMC. To an extent, you can mash buttons and spam items to get through the game, but the GOAL of the game is Stylish Action, and you want to be as slick as possible with your combos. Here are some examples of expert play in DMC3:

These are just examples though. You can find plenty of videos of all the games on Youtube. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the lengthy response. I will definately be checking them out.