CAGcast #286: The E3 2012 Premium Limited Collector's Digital Deluxe Edition

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

What's with all resentment toward E3 swag? I've actually heard several other podcasts mention a dislike for this swag. Is it the tourist equivalent of wearing a Hawaiian shirt with a camera around your neck? As someone that isn't in the business, I would jump at the opportunity for any free gifts given to me during an event like this. I mean that's what it's there for, right?

I think people's issue is that E3 is not PAX. . . meaning E3 is an industry only event, where as an event such as PAX is for fans. Cosplay, swag grabbing, and fanboy applause is considered unprofessional by many people.

#32 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Since all three of you were VERY unimpressed with the Wii U, exactly what would make you guys want so that you can impressed with the next iteration of the PlayStation/Xbox. What more could they add besides better graphics and online play? Because if that's it, then what is there to care about?

I personally wasn't too impressed with the games previewed, since it just involved guiding little chibi characters though a landscape minigames or not or ports of this gen's games.

Batsugunner.png

#33 basston3s

basston3s

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

The thatgamecompany deal wasn't done so they could bring their current games to other platforms, but so that they could make their future games for multiple platforms. Sony owns the rights to their previous games.

Wombat, you don't need to download those PS+ games. Just purchase them and you can download them whenever you want to play them, though it might be time to do a hard drive upgrade if you're out of space.

It's because they're there to work and not to grab swag like it's a vacation.

Wait, the CAG crew was there to work?? :D
Definitely seemed like vacation time to me. Which there is nothing wrong with. I'm glad they were able to have fun this year. I think Cheapy just needs to get over how he's seen amongst the other gaming sites, most of which are definitely there to bust their asses. He definitely seemed embarrassed of Wombat and Ship looking like tourists.

#34 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

Wait, the CAG crew was there to work?? :D
Definitely seemed like vacation time to me. Which there is nothing wrong with. I'm glad they were able to have fun this year. I think Cheapy just needs to get over how he's seen amongst the other gaming sites, most of which are definitely there to bust their asses. He definitely seemed embarrassed of Wombat and Ship looking like tourists.

The work part of the sentence was referring to the podcasters he was talking about and the vacation part of it was talking about Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#35 monahawk217

monahawk217

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

As a Rochester native, the ease of access to garbage plates factors in largely to applying for residency there

#36 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

How can Cheapy compare the Wii U to a damn iPad. Stop fellating Apple! That comparison makes NO sense. Yes, it has the tablet controller, it's a new home console, though. That compares to an iPad how? *sigh*

Enjoyed the show otherwise, though!

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#37 basston3s

basston3s

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

The work part of the sentence was referring to the podcasters he was talking about and the vacation part of it was talking about Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck.

Thanks for clearing that up. It's still weird that Cheapy looks down on the swag so much. He looks down on it like the press does. It's not like he has a reputation to uphold :P

#38 Crawley

Crawley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Ship, it seems like you're having so many problems with your BRAND NEW PC. Even I felt frustrated seeing your tweets. I was getting ready to purchase mine a few months back when I ran into ibuypower, did some research and heard a lot of testimonials about their terrible service. Needless to say you should have went with Digital Storm instead. 2 week turnaround and top-notch customer service. I guess it's too late to say to return it? Anyways, happy PC Gaming.

It took like a month for my iBuyPower system to be built after I ordered it during one of the holiday sales - it sat for weeks on the "gathering parts" stage too. However I wasn't under any time constraint, so other than the anticipation I didn't bug the company for updates.

One nice thing that occured was I had selected ground shipping to save some $$ but iBuyPower shipped it air anyways. The computer unexpectantly arrived the day after it completed - I wonder if they ship it air regardless to avoid any potential issues that could occur during ground shipping.

The gurgling sound you mentioned with the water cooling is one issue that is frequently reported in iBuyPower support forums. Basically it sounds like the water cooler they use are cheap. Some of the coolers have air in the lines which causes the sound. When I read about that I called them up to change from the water cooling solution to a CPU fan.

I did run in to one issue when I got the computer. I quickly discovered my second hard drive wasn't hooked up nor formatted. It wasn't a huge deal as it was easily rectified but obviouslly that didn't get tested during their quality assurance check process.

In any case the computer hasn't had any technical problems since I got it and I'm happy with it. The price was inexpensive for what was included and its always worth it for me to pay a little extra to have someone else build the system than have me spend time putting it together and troubleshooting.

#39 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

I loved Prometheus

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

I'm with Shipwreck. Prometheus was pretty to look at but sufferd from blank characters and a mess of a script. I'd list the problems but Topless Robot's Rob Bricken did it perfectly and funnier than I would. These aren't little nitpicks. These are gaping plot points.

#41 S0LIDARITY

S0LIDARITY

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

I don't understand why so many people shy away from building their own computers. It's really not that hard. I typically save $300+ by building my own towers and the experience I've gotten by building my own computer has given me the opportunity to build for friends and turn a small profit. The added value for building my own computer means I'm much more invested in any computer I've built than any computer I've ever bought.

#42 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

I don't understand why so many people shy away from building their own computers. It's really not that hard. I typically save $300+ by building my own towers and the experience I've gotten by building my own computer has given me the opportunity to build for friends and turn a small profit. The added value for building my own computer means I'm much more invested in any computer I've built than any computer I've ever bought.

I've built PCs in the past. It's not that I can't do it, I just don't find it enjoyable. I'd rather spend the money and have someone else build it for me.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#43 Don Chubo

Don Chubo

Defund NPR & CPB.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

It's too bad that you've had problems with your PC Shipwreck, but damn - an ibuypower PC? What would you expect?

OCDBuzz311 - It is nice that Cheapy talked to you, but why wouldn't he take the time? You and everyone else on here sign his paycheck. Take it easy, he's a guy that runs a website.

Finally, I'm wondering how Ship and Wombat got invited to the show? I can understand Cheapy getting an invite because he owns the site. Shipwreck seems like a nice guy, but he's a "Reviews Editor" that rarely does reviews, and Wombat does even less (thankfully, since he's annoying and his writing is awful).
From the Book of Deluded and/or Ridiculous, Vol. 1, page 1, paragraph 1:

Oh, any ideology has people who speak quite crassly or aren't intellectually deep. Us on the left are proud of the fact that, despite knowing we have them, we don't elect them to office or treat them as vanguards of a movement.

Should we start with Biden, Hank Johnson, Sheila Jackson Lee, and Tony Wiener and work from there? Dumbass.

Posted Image
Don't piss Mooch off.

#44 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

I haven't had a chance to listen to the show yet, but Wombat's twitter mentioned Dragon's Dogma & since it's mentioned here, I just thought I'd throw this in: I was really looking forward to this game. But the demo was only 'ok' and finally I just decided "well, it's Capcom. Somehow it'll be screwed up" and I didn't buy it. For me (note: I'm not saying for all gamers), they are the worst kind of publisher. Tons of DLC - when you buy the game its just a drop in the bucket of the final cost. Also, games are riddled with crappy design choices that seem to be there just to hinder the player.

Had this been a Bethesda game I'd have no problems putting my money on the table. But Capcom? Nah, they'd screw it up.

#45 Joda84

Joda84

EXTERMINATE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

I was pretty disappointed to hear Ship's utter hate of the film Prometheus. I usually agree with Shipwreck on many of his reviews of games, but for movies, I can't really wrap my head around his taste. Especially the fact that he didn't mind Battleship which was absolutely dreadful throughout. Prometheus is not perfect in any shape or form, but it's light years better than a lot of the crap out in theaters today.

I hear ya. Ship is one of the few game reviewers who I tend to agree with on most things.. But I think he has opposite tastes in movies than me haha.

But I think you gotta be a Ridley Scott fan and/or Alien fan to really love it though...

#46 S0LIDARITY

S0LIDARITY

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

I've built PCs in the past. It's not that I can't do it, I just don't find it enjoyable. I'd rather spend the money and have someone else build it for me.

That's fair, I just think a lot of people who are scared of the challenge might surprise themselves and end up enjoying it.

I look at the cost of buying a desktop as the value of my time, It typically takes me about an hour to build the tower, throw in an hour for for OS installation and set-up and that spells out 2 hours for $300 in savings. My time is certainly worth less than $150 an hour, but I like building a computer. I'd still be building my own towers if my time equated $20 an hour. I guess what I'm getting at is that Shipwreck's time might be worth more than $150 an hour.

#47 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

Is saying "waiting on line" to describe people physically waiting in a line a New York thing? I noticed it a lot in this episode.

Ya both Wombat and Cheapy do it. Are they walking on top of people or browsing the internet on their phone.

So where are the PC flamers talking about how you can buy a PC for $500 but then never mention you'll need to keep upgrading it every 1.5-2 years. Or did they already flame when Cheapy got his PC a few weeks back?

Great podcast and the 20-30min audioboos were awesome. I had listened to them as Cheapy posted them, so this podcast was really only 1.5hr, which is the perfect length.

#48 warmonked

warmonked

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

I totally agree with shipwreck: Prometheus is terrible. I wonder if the vague and convoluted writing is due to it being co-written by Damian lindlof, who was a writer for lost.

Also I think you guys, in the audio boo, are confusing asynchronous and asymmetrical gaming

#49 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

One of the funnier things about the Xbox LIVE Games on Demand sale is one of the titles, Facebreaker. EA shut down the server for it so you can't do multiplayer. They're selling it essentially broken.

#50 ILikePopCans

ILikePopCans

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Do you know what will make the show better? If Wombat stops fucking interrupting Shipwreck EVERY time he talks.

#51 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

01:30 Ship PC update
04:30 Diablo III
09:30 Prometheus
14:00 General E3 Stuff
34:00 Lollipop Chainsaw
37:30 Babel Rising
41:00 ICarly
41:45 Gravity Rush / Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
45:00 NPD
47:45 Peter Molyneux
52:15 MS out of Japan game expos
54:15 PS Plus free games
60:00 Xbox Live mobile app
61:30 Pokemon Conquest
64:45 WiiU pricing
70:30 Pocket Planes
73:00 Cagbag
82:00 Driver: San Francisco
(Audioboos not listed since I already listened to them)

BTW Lollipop Chainsaw auto-saves at multiple checkpoints, so you can stop mid-level without losing progress. It doesn't look like it though. They really needed someone to come in and overhaul the UI. It's a fun game but the UI is so clunky. Even the UI sound effects are clunky.

#52 bug_nuts

bug_nuts

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

What is the exact wireless hdmi adapter you bought cheapy?!
----------------------------------------
How bout we just post when it will benefit the greater community.. i mean most of the stuff is funny but not helpful... thanks for your support

#53 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

What is the exact wireless hdmi adapter you bought cheapy?!

he mentioned the brand is I/O Data
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#54 Jasper Kazai

Jasper Kazai

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

I sorely wish I could play this Pocket Planes game. Cheapy tweeting things about it doesn't help. But I don't have a smartphone, and the one friend who does (and he doesn't use it as a phone anymore, meaning I could play it without using up his actual phone) can't find his iPhone. Ugh.

And I agree with building your own PCs being the way to go. Any service that builds it for you is just going to be somewhat of a scam.

#55 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Still trying to reconcile the Fit Bit talk with the Garbage Plate talk.

#56 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

Late to the party for the audio boo, but Ship and Cheapy...you're assholes. How can you not know the giant penny and robo dinosaur in the Batcave? Its pretty much in every picture of the batcave in comics after 1980 or so. Tsk tsk...

#57 MisterSmi13y

MisterSmi13y

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

Just thought I might make a correction with regards totomb raider. The controversy does not surrojndbthe take sequence. The controversy arose on how those showing the game addressed the sequence.e. the giantbomncast covered this a little bit, but in a nutshell here it is. The way it was presented is that they want you to feel that Laura was a girl to be protected. Therefore manipulating what one would call a mans basic instinct. This is why it was offensives. It was explained that she is someone who needs help and not a girl who is developing as a person. That is essentially where the controversy stems from.

I hope by this day and age gaming has matured and subject matter as such should not be surprising or evm shocking since every other artform has touched on it already. Sorry for the long post nut I had to address this.

#58 polly

polly

Karma Policeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

I would've kept my fuckin space helmet on, just in case.

[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

#59 epicelite

epicelite

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

It's kind of annoying when you guys start talking about something and then it catches my interest but you never say the name of what it is again. I listen to you while doing other crap and often miss the name.

EX: You start talking about some game you played on your phone and go off on a tangent about it, yet say the name of the game one time before the conversation really started.

Could you shoehorn in the name of what your talking about at the end of the conversation too?

Thanks.

#60 Jasper Kazai

Jasper Kazai

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

It's kind of annoying when you guys start talking about something and then it catches my interest but you never say the name of what it is again. I listen to you while doing other crap and often miss the name.

EX: You start talking about some game you played on your phone and go off on a tangent about it, yet say the name of the game one time before the conversation really started.

Could you shoehorn in the name of what your talking about at the end of the conversation too?

Thanks.

I remember that about a month or two ago someone said they should mention the topic more often (perhaps it was you?). They said they would start doing so, and literally never did again. But I agree: I never listen to the podcast in one fell swoop, so I'm bound to forget what the current topic is when I get back to listening.