GOG Deals Thread

I have been quite interested in Rayman Forever, since I'm a huge platformer fan. However, I do wonder, is it worth it? Does the game hold up well after all these years?

I don't know, but I have fond memories of playing Rayman on the PSX when I was a kid (Rayman Forever is a really good port of that one; the original). I think classic platformers like Rayman hold up better than most genres because they aren't so graphically intense. Rayman still looks pretty damn good though!

I was looking at reviews on that one and the general consensus is that it doesn't even deserve to be considered into the Might and Magic series. Complaints of weak story, terrible linearity, etc etc. For $3 I can't imagine you can go all that wrong, but I can't say much about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='EliotAndrews']I have been quite interested in Rayman Forever, since I'm a huge platformer fan. However, I do wonder, is it worth it? Does the game hold up well after all these years?[/QUOTE]

I would say yes. I'm passing on the sale myself because I have the Rayman games on GOG already. Not interested in the others.

[quote name='Vap']Has anyone ever played Might and Magic?[/QUOTE]

I would only consider Crusaders of Might and Magic if you like the video game equivalents of B movies. You might be able to reap some ever so slight fun from it despite, or maybe because of, how bad it is.

I closed my thread that had fallen down to page 2. I don't mind since it'll mean less work for me to do.

[quote name='Bosamba']I closed my thread that had fallen down to page 2. I don't mind since it'll mean less work for me to do.[/QUOTE]
You are certainly a busy CAG (I'm sure everyone appreciates the effort). Consider GOG deals taken off your hands then. ;)

This place is the best. Try Tiny and Big if you like platformer/puzzle games. HOLY SHIT it is fun.

I also had to snag Myst, I hope Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy wins for tomorrow.

[quote name='sultangaming']This place is the best. Try Tiny and Big if you like platformer/puzzle games. HOLY SHIT it is fun.

I also had to snag Myst, I hope Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy wins for tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Looks like it's blowing away Alone in the Dark at the moment (10642 versus 5903 votes), so it's pretty safe to say that Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy will be $2.39 at midnight. The game has always interested me; $2.39 looks like a steal.

Bought Myst for my grandma. The game always hurt my brain when I was a kid; I'm sure she would fare much better at it than me! :roll:

[quote name='Idiotekque']Looks like it's blowing away Alone in the Dark at the moment (10642 versus 5903 votes), so it's pretty safe to say that Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy will be $2.39 at midnight. The game has always interested me; $2.39 looks like a steal.

Bought Myst for my grandma. The game always hurt my brain when I was a kid; I'm sure she would fare much better at it than me! :roll:[/QUOTE]

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually liked Indigo Prophecy a lot more than Heavy Rain.. I don't think you'll regret your purchase, but I wonder what the controls are like, and if it has gamepad support? I don't think I'd want to play it with a keyboard/mouse lol.

Not sure why but I decided to get myst. I remember seeing that thing in the case and it having like 6 cds or something. On a side note I just created my account so i just wanted to know if those free games stay in the account or if i should go ahead and download them.

Does anybody know if $5.99 is a good price for 7th Guest? I've always wanted to play it and don't see it on Steam so I guess it won't be in the Steam summer sale. Is there anywhere I can find it cheaper (and compatible with Win7) or is this the best I'll find?

I was thinking about getting Myst: Masterpiece Edition as well since I lost my copy of the original Myst a long time ago but figured I'd wait until the Steam summer sale to see if they have a nice sale on the Cyan Pack since I'd like to get Riven and Uru as well. If not, then I'm in no rush to get it and figure it will be on sale again sometime.

[quote name='JanusDS']Does anybody know if $5.99 is a good price for 7th Guest? I've always wanted to play it and don't see it on Steam so I guess it won't be in the Steam summer sale. Is there anywhere I can find it cheaper (and compatible with Win7) or is this the best I'll find?

I was thinking about getting Myst: Masterpiece Edition as well since I lost my copy of the original Myst a long time ago but figured I'd wait until the Steam summer sale to see if they have a nice sale on the Cyan Pack since I'd like to get Riven and Uru as well. If not, then I'm in no rush to get it and figure it will be on sale again sometime.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the sale is over on both of these titles. Each new sale starts and ends at 9AM ET.

$5.99 is GOG's standard price for older games. They do have rotating sales so it's possible it may go on another GOG sale at some point however it may be some time before that happens. They don't have regular storewide sales like Steam so you would have to wait for a weekend deal and there's no telling when that would be. Could be next weekend (unlikely since it was just on sale) or next year.

Also the most they will discount generally will be 50% off. Don't expect 75% off since GOG doesn't go that low.

[quote name='Bosamba']Unfortunately the sale is over on both of these titles. Each new sale starts and ends at 9AM ET.[/QUOTE]

Oh crap, I didn't even realize it was that late already...doh, I hate how fast time flies when I'm goofing around on the internet. #-o

[quote name='Motoki']$5.99 is GOG's standard price for older games. They do have rotating sales so it's possible it may go on another GOG sale at some point however it may be some time before that happens. They don't have regular storewide sales like Steam so you would have to wait for a weekend deal and there's no telling when that would be. Could be next weekend (unlikely since it was just on sale) or next year.

Also the most they will discount generally will be 50% off. Don't expect 75% off since GOG doesn't go that low.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, thanks for the info, I haven't used GOG very much so any info I can pick up is great. Actually I'm still somewhat of a Steam noob too (despite having nearly 60 games :whistle2:o) but I think I've gotten pretty well acquainted with the "cag strategy" for it over the past few months from visiting and posting on the Steam thread. I've only bought 1 or 2 games from GOG thus far but I do like their selection of older games and the fact that they're compatible with Win7. :)

Heh, sorry for so many noob questions; but since I just missed yesterday's sales, I'm kind of interested in both of the games today - any opinions on price and quality of the games? Thanks!

Bought Alone in the Dark, but really annoyed that I missed 7th Guest. I need to get that and 11th Hour when the go on sale at some point.

[quote name='JanusDS']Heh, sorry for so many noob questions; but since I just missed yesterday's sales, I'm kind of interested in both of the games today - any opinions on price and quality of the games? Thanks![/QUOTE]

IMO, Fahrenheit is a must-buy, especially at this price point (never been cheaper, at least in the uncensored version). This is one of Quantic Dream's pre-Heavy Rain releases, so I can't imagine it being anything less than stellar. I just have to go through that annoying hassle of calling my bank so I can spend money at Gog. That's the biggest headache when dealing with these foreign sites.

[quote name='warreni']IMO, Fahrenheit is a must-buy, especially at this price point (never been cheaper, at least in the uncensored version). This is one of Quantic Dream's pre-Heavy Rain releases, so I can't imagine it being anything less than stellar.[/QUOTE]

The first half of the game is great, without a doubt. The game starts to go off the rails towards the end though, so be prepared for some disappointment.

Definitely worth the $2.39 though.

[quote name='Jon7']The game starts to go off the rails towards the end though, so be prepared for some disappointment. [/QUOTE]

I've read that in other places (one of the top reviews on Gog, for example), but I'd kick myself for not picking it up at this price.

Everyone seems to have the right idea of Indigo Prophecy - The first half is worthwhile, but be prepped for when the story goes aggressively and completely downhill. The gameplay is still intriguing, but it does wear thin once the quality of the story plummets.

I find the current voting scenario to be quite humorous - People seem to want Postal 2 more than Serious Sam. (Admittedly, I'm sure most own a version of Serious Sam 2 at this point.) I have played Postal 2, and I feel that a sub-$3 pricetag seems appropriate for the sampling of the game's idiocy.

Picked up Indigo Prophecy. I remember playing the demo when it first came out and being interested but never got around to buying the game for whatever reason. I have good memories of the AITD series but I have a feeling they haven't aged very gracefully. Hope some the Might and Magic and Lands of Lore games are part of this promo eventually.

OP updated.

[quote name='warreni']I just have to go through that annoying hassle of calling my bank so I can spend money at Gog. That's the biggest headache when dealing with these foreign sites.[/QUOTE]
Why don't you use PayPal?

This site take Paypal or you gotta give them your credit card info? I really don't need to hand out my CC info to any more random sites.

I've bought 5 or so games from them and PayPal has worked without a hitch every time. GOG has been around for awhile and is completely legit also, so there's really nothing to worry about.

[quote name='Rinnetensei']This site take Paypal or you gotta give them your credit card info? I really don't need to hand out my CC info to any more random sites.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they accept paypal.

Can't believe Postal 2 won. I tell ya, anyone who voted for that game deserves it - horrible, horrible game. And I'm not talking about it being offensive, I'm talking about it being crap to play.

[quote name='argyle']Can't believe Postal 2 won. I tell ya, anyone who voted for that game deserves it - horrible, horrible game. And I'm not talking about it being offensive, I'm talking about it being crap to play.[/QUOTE]

I believe since some people already own the Second Encounter since it's been in some bundle before (I think lighting Royal bundle) that some voted for the other game instead. some some some

OP updated. Nothing for me today (thankfully).

I voted for Arx Fatalis. It's cheaper and sounds more interesting to me than Gothic. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but what did you guys vote for?

[quote name='lupe guillotine']I believe since some people already own the Second Encounter since it's been in some bundle before (I think lighting Royal bundle) that some voted for the other game instead. some some some[/QUOTE]

That and the complete Serious Sam pack was really cheap a while back on Steam. The Second Encounter just isn't a good deal at 60% off on gog compared to any of the deals in the past few months.

[quote name='Idiotekque']OP updated. Nothing for me today (thankfully).

I voted for Arx Fatalis. It's cheaper and sounds more interesting to me than Gothic. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but what did you guys vote for?[/QUOTE]

I voted for Gothic myself as I already played Arx Fatalis on the original XBOX. I had bought it brand new since I had just played Morrowind and wanted something similar. It's definitely more focused and linear than Morrowind was (I had to buy the strategy guide just to figure out what I was supposed to be doing), but it's a great RPG. I was so intrigued with the world the developers had created and would have gladly bought a sequel.

I've heard good things about Gothic, but I guess Arx just piqued my interest a bit more. Plus it's so much cheaper, lol.

Thanks for the info. ;)

Anyone think there's a chance of Deus Ex GOTY coming up in the Battle of the Games to combat Steam's sale? It still wouldn't be as cheap even at 60% off but I'd rather get it with extras.

[quote name='Argive']Vote Arx Fatalis![/QUOTE]

ok, i did cause you told me to. As it stands now, it's comfortably ahead. Honestly I liked the concept of being underground better than gothic anyway, never played them though, but now's a good a time as any.

Gothic Ark
4897 5441

[quote name='nitman99']Anyone think there's a chance of Deus Ex GOTY coming up in the Battle of the Games to combat Steam's sale? It still wouldn't be as cheap even at 60% off but I'd rather get it with extras.[/QUOTE]
Impossible to say this sale isn't following any theme besides the pairs of games being of the same genre. Myst and 7th Guest (puzzle/adventure games), Serious Sam and Postal (shooters), Gothic and Arx (RPGs).

I'd guess no, since there has already been a shooter versus shooter vote. Who knows though.

Does anybody have any opinions or would recommend Gothic or Arx Fatalis at these prices? Also as far as Gothic is concerned, assuming it's a worthwhile game, I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be more cost effective to get the 3-pack on Steam, which is currently $20 but that I would wait for a sale on if anybody thinks that a sale on these games would be forthcoming.

[quote name='JanusDS']Does anybody have any opinions or would recommend Gothic or Arx Fatalis at these prices? Also as far as Gothic is concerned, assuming it's a worthwhile game, I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be more cost effective to get the 3-pack on Steam, which is currently $20 but that I would wait for a sale on if anybody thinks that a sale on these games would be forthcoming.[/QUOTE]

Almost everything will be on sale, on steam during the summer sale which looks like it will be next week.

bread's done
Back