Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#271 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

To be clear, it's an order to ALL defend and ALL go out, meaning you still need to navigate their messy UI to defend with only one character. I really wish they had tuned the combat system more because I feel like it's 20% skill and 80% familiar match-up/tactics. That should really be reversed.

And I say halfway because I'm just going by chapters and when you get it, you're about 3.5 of 7 chapters done. I think much of the game is left to exploration after you get a certain something hehe.

Oh poo... oh well, I guess I'll keep chugging along.

And I don't know why, but it seems like all the familiars from battle suck. I've only been using the familiars that were given to me or came with my my allies. There's this goat that might prove to be useful, but he's only level 13 while the others are level 20-ish.

Currently playing:
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#272 swizzy

swizzy

Secretly Lurking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

played for about 6 hours so far, just got to the desert place. i have two questions:
1)where do i redeem my Griffy ticket i got from preordering at amazon?
2)-VERY LIGHT SPOILERS- so I found out that the guardians are also familiars, so my question for anyone that has either finished/deep into the game, do you eventually get to use guardians as your own familiar?

:ps3: Puppeteer 

[PS4] Knack & Killzone single player(gotta finish dat fall semester before I go all in on mah ps4)
:pc: Skyrim & New Vegas goodness <3
:wii: Smash Bros Brawl Project M
:360: Halo 4 (indefinite hold)
:psp: Tearaway & Killzone

#273 Souljah

Souljah

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

23 Hours in
Spoiler
and still no one in my party has a revive spell or even an MP heal?

anyone that is further know if you do get these or do you just have to use items the whole game??

Also think im just going to
Spoiler

Edited by Souljah, 27 January 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#274 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

A little off topic I imagine but I love the fact that the standard version of the game has been sold out at Amazon for a couple days now. Really interested to hear what sales have been like vs expectations.

#275 swizzy

swizzy

Secretly Lurking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

A little off topic I imagine but I love the fact that the standard version of the game has been sold out at Amazon for a couple days now. Really interested to hear what sales have been like vs expectations.

i truly hope it sells well so it can prove people still care for jrpgs if done right. also, i want studio ghibli to work on another game :P

:ps3: Puppeteer 

[PS4] Knack & Killzone single player(gotta finish dat fall semester before I go all in on mah ps4)
:pc: Skyrim & New Vegas goodness <3
:wii: Smash Bros Brawl Project M
:360: Halo 4 (indefinite hold)
:psp: Tearaway & Killzone

#276 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Ok, I got the triangle to defend thing. Yay!

And is Swaine retarded or something? Half-way through every fight, he pulls his familiar and starts attacking himself... doing 1 damage and taking 20 in the process.:roll:

23 Hours in

Spoiler
and still no one in my party has a revive spell or even an MP heal?

I'm not gonna read your spoiler since I'm no where near where you are, but AFAIK, no game has ever had an "MP heal" spell. The idea of using MP to restore MP doesn't really make sense... If you could use MP to restore MP, then you'd a huge and unfair advantage since you theoretically have an unlimited supply of MP. You'll just have drink before before/during/after battles.:-P

Speaking of MP, Oliver and Esther are fairly close in level but for some reason, Oliver has nearly 100 MP while Esther only has 65 MP. Is that normal? I guess Oliver is the magic user... but it seems like a such a huge gap.

The fact that the game sold out at Amazon is a very good indication of sales and will help build hype (in addition to the hype from the WE fiasco). I doubt we'll see any numbers until February though but I think Namco's probably pretty happy.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#277 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Ok, I got the triangle to defend thing. Yay!

And is Swaine retarded or something? Half-way through every fight, he pulls his familiar and starts attacking himself... doing 1 damage and taking 20 in the process.:roll:

I'm not gonna read your spoiler since I'm no where near where you are, but AFAIK, no game has ever had an "MP heal" spell. The idea of using MP to restore MP doesn't really make sense... If you could use MP to restore MP, then you'd a huge and unfair advantage since you theoretically have an unlimited supply of MP. You'll just have drink before before/during/after battles.:-P

Speaking of MP, Oliver and Esther are fairly close in level but for some reason, Oliver has nearly 100 MP while Esther only has 65 MP. Is that normal? I guess Oliver is the magic user... but it seems like a such a huge gap.

Well games have had abilities that restore mp but it is more common in Jrpgs just to use a MP potion.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#278 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

This game has so many things wrong with it. And yet I am really, really enjoying it. It's basically Dragon Quest VIII-2 with real time combat.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#279 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

I love the pokemon aspect of catching the various creatures, the thing thats annoying is the % chance of being able to serenade. I'm currently on a quest where you have to capture a small robot familiar and after 30 battles, i've yet to get the serenade popup

*EDIT*

Hoooray! Finally got the serenade popup on attempt #37.

538822.png

#280 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Well games have had abilities that restore mp but it is more common in Jrpgs just to use a MP potion.

Well, he said "MP heal" I figured he was talking about a spell.

This game has so many things wrong with it. And yet I am really, really enjoying it. It's basically Dragon Quest VIII-2 with real time combat.

This is basically how I feel about this game. There's a lot of small issues but I'm been addicted to this game.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#281 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

This is basically how I feel about this game. There's a lot of small issues but I'm been addicted to this game.

i saw the MP heal comment and just let it slide

#282 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

I just want a warp spell already! T_T I'm at
Spoiler
and certain errands have you back tracking fairly far.
Spoiler

Do any older cities pop up with a Take Heart option after you've left them?
Spoiler

The DLC issue, I do not agree that pre-order DLC should not be sold on PSN at a later date, UNLESS any pre-order came with ALL the options. The fact that we'd have to buy 2+ copies, at multiple retailers to get all the DLC is just dumb.

#283 KB24

KB24

Strong Roots

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I just reached Al Mamoon, must say I'm loving the game so far. I feel like I'm underleveled though(currently 12) and on my way to Al Mamoon I had a hard time killing all the desert beasties.

5r8h3bp.gif

578ad03c0ad2df0fd38c01d22c5f5d88_0cdf051

#284 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Oh poo... oh well, I guess I'll keep chugging along.

And I don't know why, but it seems like all the familiars from battle suck. I've only been using the familiars that were given to me or came with my my allies. There's this goat that might prove to be useful, but he's only level 13 while the others are level 20-ish.

Yeah, but at least you no longer have to manually switch to each character to defend lol.

The only two original familiars I've kept were Mite and Drongo. They both have synergy with their original master and are a strong tank/healer line-up. Other than that, I use a purrloiner (Milite synergy) on Oliver when I want to burst an add down or 'now's your chance' burst and Griffy (Aves synergy) on Esther to obliterate whatever I'm tanking. Outside of that, I gave Swaine a bonehead that he never switches out of unless he's out of stamina lol. Seems like having three familiars each is pointless because I've never swapped to the third slot creature, ever. I just put in placeholder creatures so at least they're leveling in case the game ever gets hard.

It hasn't. : \

Do any older cities pop up with a Take Heart option after you've left them?

Spoiler

Good news, you made the right decision. You get way better items from that chain than you do completing the shitty quest on the other island. You will get a chance to finish it later anyway.

#285 lucky19

lucky19

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Uggg had to buy a ps3 just to play this game.

#286 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

My Wizard's Edition is scheduled to arrive by the end of the day this Wednesday... I've been super anxious to play!

Edited by TrumpetDan, 28 January 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#287 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

Game came with the Steelbook (which is good because GS kept their promise and I didn't waste money). My guide is apparently sitting at my fucking post office waiting to be delivered. This sucks because my post office is shit and I am worried about leaving a 3.5 lb guide on my mailbox for 3-4 hours. Plus it's supposed to be bad weather tomorrow so I am really hoping it comes here in one piece.

I am also waiting for my damn guide to play the game. I mean yeah I probably don't need the guide to start but it would be helpful for me. A good JRPG I often times buy the guide for.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#288 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

I just reached Al Mamoon, must say I'm loving the game so far. I feel like I'm underleveled though(currently 12) and on my way to Al Mamoon I had a hard time killing all the desert beasties.

Stick to the sun guys floating around. They're easy to get from behind and do the least damage. I leveled up to 16 with them.

Right now I'm 9.5 hours in and doing the trials. I'm not sure how I feel about the AI controlling my second character and familiar. I have a feeling they'll get aggro'd over Mitey and get killed.

#289 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

Can you feed a familiar infinitely? I'm afraid to feed any one anything right until I know. And also, are the gold DLC characters skins that override the current characters or entirely different familiars? I have the gold Mitey and don't know if he will start at lv1 or not.

Finally, I'm looking for the amazon Griffy code! I have a flutterby to trade!

#290 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

That will be taken care of soon enough when you take care of business at Al Mamoon.
Posted Image

#291 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Can you feed a familiar infinitely? I'm afraid to feed any one anything right until I know. And also, are the gold DLC characters skins that override the current characters or entirely different familiars? I have the gold Mitey and don't know if he will start at lv1 or not.

Finally, I'm looking for the amazon Griffy code! I have a flutterby to trade!

The familiars get full, and in time you can feed them again.

If the Gold Hurley(#445) from the guide is any indication the Mitey will be lvl 1 and a new familiar with its own number in the Creature Compendium.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#292 Cabhills

Cabhills

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

So I'm 26 hrs into the game so far and I'm having a blast. Want to give a tip to those who are at or going to Porcine Palace in Hamelin.
Spoiler

Cabhills.png

76561198031533789.png

#293 Lokki

Lokki

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

I picked it up on Friday and I'm loving it so far. I haven't had time to play as much as I'd like to though. I'm about 8-9 hours in.

My Best Buy hadn't even put them on the shelves yet and it took me forever to find someone to retrieve them, but I got it, so I was happy.
Posted Image

#294 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Can you ever purchase or get receipies to make better treats? Feeding familiars with the standard treats takes way too long once you've leveled a trait 2-3 times. I know you can get better treats as rewards/from quests/battle but that's pretty rare and you only get a few.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#295 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Can you ever purchase or get receipies to make better treats? Feeding familiars with the standard treats takes way too long once you've leveled a trait 2-3 times. I know you can get better treats as rewards/from quests/battle but that's pretty rare and you only get a few.

Make it a point to talk to every NPC as you get into new towns. They're not marked on your map, but I've found two just standing around who both gave me an abundance of formulae. I can make up to tier 3 treats now, I believe.

Also, considering how little I enjoyed the demo, this game is eating my soul. I've somehow dropped 27 hours into it already. Can't get enough.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 6/28/14   Child of Light       |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#296 Souljah

Souljah

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

i saw the MP heal comment and just let it slide

I wrote that up wrong guys i meant a revive spell and something other than ice tea to replenish MP.

23 hours in and ive only came across 1 pheonix feather lol

#297 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Talk to the NPC in a purple coat outside Swift Solutions in Hamelin for the T3 treats. Other recipes usually come from more obscure tasks and usually require some hard to get materials.

I wrote that up wrong guys i meant a revive spell and something other than ice tea to replenish MP.

23 hours in and ive only came across 1 pheonix feather lol

Upsy-Daisy makes the game even easier, especially in arena fights (no items allowed) so I'm glad they don't give you access early in the game. The familiar you want is a Toko or you can evolve the Thumblelemur you get to an Aye-Aye Catcher for the same spell.

#298 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

The familiars get full, and in time you can feed them again.

If the Gold Hurley(#445) from the guide is any indication the Mitey will be lvl 1 and a new familiar with its own number in the Creature Compendium.

Thank you! Cannot wait to play again soon!

I've been nervous about feeding any of them, that if there is a cap, I could feed them the 'wrong' food, boosting stats that aren't the most beneficial for a particular familiar, then capping the food, not allowing me to boost beneficial stats.

#299 Cabhills

Cabhills

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Talk to the lady on the boat with the basket on her head in Castaway Cove for some more recipes. Jodou mentions the other one that I know of so far.

Edit: Seems another recipe giver can be found at
Spoiler

Edited by cabhills, 28 January 2013 - 08:20 PM.

Cabhills.png

76561198031533789.png

#300 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

I'm still confused on how this feeding thing works. I get that familiars have their favorite food, and specific foods raise specific stats. What I don't get how the fullness works, IE can you only feed them let's say 50 treats, but if I feed Mitey 50 treats that increase magic attack (which is pointless), does that bar me from feeding him 50 chocolate afterwards?