Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#331 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Oh my god... I just got the quick travel spell. I didn't even know there was one. The game is now 1000x better.

Pro-tip: using the spell resets creature spawns, even if you're 10 feet from where it warps you. Very handy in a certain valley for grinding exp. ;)

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#332 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

Man I wish I had that and I'm only 10 hrs in. Roughly how long until you get that?

It's quite a while into the game. I was clocked in at roughly 22 hours when I got it. Of course, I did all the sidequests and stuff so you might be able to shave of a few hours if you skip all of them.

Pro-tip: using the spell resets creature spawns, even if you're 10 feet from where it warps you. Very handy in a certain valley for grinding exp. ;)

Question: after I got that spell, none of my monster hunts show up in any form... the monsters don't show up where they're supposed to be nor can I see active monster hunts in my journal. I can see/complete my regular quests just fine.

Is this some kind of glitch?

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#333 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:42 AM

I almost had a heart attack when I was hunting for Diamonds in South Billy Goat Gruff and got 9k exp in a battle. Looked online and there's a creature there called Tokotoko that gives 9k exp a kill (and is easy to kill if you can deal w/ its high evasion).

Needless to say, I found my new grinding ground.

538822.png

#334 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

Question: after I got that spell, none of my monster hunts show up in any form... the monsters don't show up where they're supposed to be nor can I see active monster hunts in my journal. I can see/complete my regular quests just fine.

Is this some kind of glitch?

Umm, maybe you finished them all for now? :lol:

I almost had a heart attack when I was hunting for Diamonds in South Billy Goat Gruff and got 9k exp in a battle. Looked online and there's a creature there called Tokotoko that gives 9k exp a kill (and is easy to kill if you can deal w/ its high evasion).

Needless to say, I found my new grinding ground.

That's nothing. Wait til you find a pack of two of them and get 17k exp from one fight. Make sure you get the spell Veil from in town and you'll always get the drop on them. I personally just one-shot them with Ezio (my Puss in Boats ha) using Drop Chop and then Slice n' Dice on the other. They're both dead before they can even act lol.

Also, to efficiently farm them I just teleport to the town and then look over the ledge for the four spawns. If none are there, fly down into the valley and run down the path looking for more spawns. Kill them all and rinse repeat. I generally find one every other run and I'm getting close to level cap on all my characters/familiars. Sucks S rank arena isn't open to me yet because I'm unstoppable now.

Pro-tip: might want to farm the rabbits or steal from the boars in that valley too for the frogdrops to make chocolate with. The only other source is one harvest spot in Rolling Hills and it's on a long ass timer.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#335 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Umm, maybe you finished them all for now? :lol:

Fucking shit, looks like I hit a glitch.:bomb: There's definitely bounties available (there's 5) but my journal doesn't show any of them, just the completed ones.

And after 28 levels, I decided to dump Swaine's familiar. I was hoping it would get better but his defense is just so bad that whoever uses him dies. I'm going to catch and use that tombstone guy some of you were barging about. But it'll take forever to level him to a usable state.

I'm also faced with 5 final form evolutions but I'm not sure who to morph and who to keep.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#336 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

Fucking shit, looks like I hit a glitch.:bomb: There's definitely bounties available (there's 5) but my journal doesn't show any of them, just the completed ones.

And after 28 levels, I decided to dump Swaine's familiar. I was hoping it would get better but his defense is just so bad that whoever uses him dies. I'm going to catch and use that tombstone guy some of you were barging about. But it'll take forever to level him to a usable state.

I'm also faced with 5 final form evolutions but I'm not sure who to morph and who to keep.

Thats sad dude. Well if you just encountered the glitch and havent synchronize your save yet, Just reload your clean save from the cloud... Its better than starting over.

#337 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

I hate to ask, but did you accept the Bounty at the shop? Bounties you have to accept right up front, while Errands are just a list that gets auto-added to your journal.

There is a nice island for leveling just North-ish of Ding Dong Dell called Ugly Duckling Isle, with Toko.

For Swaine's main familiar, I do like Monolith. For Esther I've been using Acee, which resists 2 elements and has Thunderstorm. Has a shield for more +def.

Near the beginning of game it doesn't matter too much, but when I was ready to 3rd form familiars with Jumbo drops I looked for, and only used favorite familiars, the stat boosts are pretty good later in the game.

Another note is certain familiars will only get their 2nd/3rd/4th Trick slot from familiarity or hearts. So be sure to feed your pets too because at Heart level 3 or 5 or so, they'll get more trick slots. While leveling/evolving form was the normal way to get more trick slots.

About 3rd forms: from the guide, the stats are mostly the same +/- 15-30 points. Like form A could have 20 more att but 15 less def than form B. So imo, I'd base your 3rd form decision on the Tricks available to learn and maybe on resists.

#338 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I hate to ask, but did you accept the Bounty at the shop? Bounties you have to accept right up front, while Errands are just a list that gets auto-added to your journal.

There is a nice island for leveling just North-ish of Ding Dong Dell called Ugly Duckling Isle, with Toko.

For Swaine's main familiar, I do like Monolith. For Esther I've been using Acee, which resists 2 elements and has Thunderstorm. Has a shield for more +def.

Near the beginning of game it doesn't matter too much, but when I was ready to 3rd form familiars with Jumbo drops I looked for, and only used favorite familiars, the stat boosts are pretty good later in the game.

Another note is certain familiars will only get their 2nd/3rd/4th Trick slot from familiarity or hearts. So be sure to feed your pets too because at Heart level 3 or 5 or so, they'll get more trick slots. While leveling/evolving form was the normal way to get more trick slots.

About 3rd forms: from the guide, the stats are mostly the same +/- 15-30 points. Like form A could have 20 more att but 15 less def than form B. So imo, I'd base your 3rd form decision on the Tricks available to learn and maybe on resists.

Yeah, I've been accepting them... I don't think I could have gotten this far without figuring that out.:lol: Once I do, though they just aren't showing up in my Journal. I guess I'll just reload an old save and hope it was before the glitch.

Thanks for the tips on leveling and whatnot that should speed things up with the Monolith and level 1 morphs.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#339 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Maybe you can brute force the bounties by going to where the creatures are and kill them. Some bounties aren't on the world map though and inside dangerous places.

I'm sort of disappointed with the game balance as I'm closing in on the end. The game tempts you to grind levels with tokos, but in doing so leaves nothing of challenge. I'm just walking through boss fights without any strategy or planning involved. My Dinoceros goes wild for about 350 a hit now lol and with the gear he has takes almost no damage. Really wish they had found a better way to level familars in addition to your main party because Oliver now has over 500 HP and that's such a deep well that he can heal to full and never die with certain familiar spells. Maybe endgame has something more challenging to do but so far game balance has broken down to: can't beat it? Outlevel it.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#340 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

So before I get to the point of the game with the whole collecting of the familiars (about 4 hours in, should be getting to it shortly), I was wondering what is a good team setup strategy for it? Like what would be a good combination of stats for familiars I should be using?

Thanks
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#341 Psykodelik

Psykodelik

Piw Piw Masta!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

So I have one of the merit quests where it needs a "sun" type familiar. Any idea which one? I was thinking in the desert but I morphed it to 2nd. Do I need 1st or it's a different all together?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#342 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

So before I get to the point of the game with the whole collecting of the familiars (about 4 hours in, should be getting to it shortly), I was wondering what is a good team setup strategy for it? Like what would be a good combination of stats for familiars I should be using?

Thanks

Ideally stack fire/storm familiars early on because they will be in high demand late game. I thought rounding my team off with water familiars would be smart and have ended up never using them. As for stats, high physical attack familiars rock and for the most part tend to have high evasion or defense to balance them as front line fighters. Definitely keep Mite around with the intent of eventually retiring him, but that won't happen until maybe 75% through the game.

Other than that, choose for aesthetics or abilities you want. There's no real clear winners except for Tokos and Dinoceros (again near late game).

So I have one of the merit quests where it needs a "sun" type familiar. Any idea which one? I was thinking in the desert but I morphed it to 2nd. Do I need 1st or it's a different all together?

Could try whipping him out to see, but this game seems to be picky about those quests. You need a sunshine specifically. Sucks these quests get worse later in the game, where they ask you to level familiars. Really makes completing all the quests not fun.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#343 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the print run on the Wizards edition? I just sold mine for $300(after fees)on Amazon...but I am really debating refunding the person and keeping the game.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#344 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

If you were reading the guide it mentioned just to tame "sunshine" from the desert for the merit.

#345 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

You're gonna have to tame the first form again.

#346 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Wow! All my local gamestop dont have the this game in stock anymore! My local bestbuy didnt get any additional games. My local frys didnt even get the game. Seems like they really made a small print number.

#347 Psykodelik

Psykodelik

Piw Piw Masta!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Ahh ok thanks for the response. To be more exact I already morphed it before I got the quest. I'll try to get another then.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#348 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Wow! All my local gamestop dont have the this game in stock anymore! My local bestbuy didnt get any additional games. My local frys didnt even get the game. Seems like they really made a small print number.

They probably did a low print run but it sold really well. The media for this game has been really positive and well it has the Ghibli name attached to it. Ghibli is like Disney to some people :lol:. Plus the game is fantastic.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#349 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Plus the game is fantastic.

Except for the battle system pitfalls with regards to tactics and all familiars starting at level 1 when you capture them with no real decent way to catch them up to your level quickly. Otherwise, yes. ;)

#350 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

This is one RPG that I actually enjoy grinding because of battle/familiar system.
Posted Image

#351 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Maybe in the next couple of weeks or months we will see/learn of grind spots or exploits in game to level up familiar faster. There gotta be some hardcore players already brewing up a resource or something.

#352 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Maybe you can brute force the bounties by going to where the creatures are and kill them. Some bounties aren't on the world map though and inside dangerous places.

I tried to going to locations of all 5 bounties available earlier (even use YouTube/other guides to find the right spots) but nothing there.

I just re-loaded a earlier save (made right after finishing all the story related stuff in Hamelin) and didn't have any active hunts. Went to the bounty guy, accepted them, and they show up fine now.

I have no idea what I did last time in those few minutes (besides talking to some people) that would cause the glitch but I'm glad everything seems to be normal. I only lost about an hours worth of errands so it's not a huge deal. I feel much better now but I'm gonna have to keep my eye on it.

Has anyone heard anything about the print run on the Wizards edition? I just sold mine for $300(after fees)on Amazon...but I am really debating refunding the person and keeping the game.

I'm guessing we'll never know but because Namco isn't giving out any numbers, I'd imagine it was very low (probably 2-3K).

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#353 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I tried to going to locations of all 5 bounties available earlier (even use YouTube/other guides to find the right spots) but nothing there.

I just re-loaded a earlier save (made right after finishing all the story related stuff in Hamelin) and didn't have any active hunts. Went to the bounty guy, accepted them, and they show up fine now.

I have no idea what I did last time in those few minutes (besides talking to some people) that would cause the glitch but I'm glad everything seems to be normal. I only lost about an hours worth of errands so it's not a huge deal. I feel much better now but I'm gonna have to keep my eye on it.

I'm guessing we'll never know but because Namco isn't giving out any numbers, I'd imagine it was very low (probably 2-3K).

I am wondering if the White Wizard sees a reprint though. Like my guess is its rare as shit but that by the end of all of this they print a bunch more. I am heavily leaning towards selling mine and replacing it with a cheaper digital copy. Too many companies reprint things now days(though im not complaining much about that!).

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#354 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Except for the battle system pitfalls with regards to tactics and all familiars starting at level 1 when you capture them with no real decent way to catch them up to your level quickly. Otherwise, yes. ;)

Yeah, the familiar evolution system is stupid TBH. It encourages you to grind exp to play catch-up whenever you evolve them, especially for the new abilities but since you're leveling your main party at the same time you become incredibly over-leveled for the content pretty fast. They leave it up to the player to maintain balance of just how much to level instead of using a proper system, like scaling enemies to your level or something. It's an interesting system, but hugely flawed.

I just got a sword for my puss in boats that has a 10% LL on it, meaning he's attacking super fast for ~100 a hit> 10 HP per second roughly. He literally outheals everything attacking him after a maddening shout because of the super evasion and solid defense. Only reason I'm using him right now is otherwise my dinoceros takes at best 1 damage from attacks and one-shots every mob ROFL. It's safe to say I've broken the game farming tokos, but I can't stop myself from min/maxing. ;)

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#355 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Ok, my game seems to be back to normal. I was able to finish all the quests without issue... time to move on with the story.

I am wondering if the White Wizard sees a reprint though. Like my guess is its rare as shit but that by the end of all of this they print a bunch more. I am heavily leaning towards selling mine and replacing it with a cheaper digital copy. Too many companies reprint things now days(though im not complaining much about that!).

I doubt Namco will reprint these and face another shitstorm from all the people who ended up paying $200-500 for one of these because DR fucked up. I'm also pretty sure they also explicitly said they can't (or won't?) make more. This story was actually very big... it was even posted on Forbes.

I'm also pretty sure no CE was ever reprinted after release (there was one or two instances where more units were produced before release). What they should have done is given every who's order was cancelled by DR to re-order theirs and then printed enough to fulfill those orders.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#356 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

Im still dreaming in maybe a year or so, theyll release a standalone wizard companion book... Ill buy it for $20-30!

#357 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

I got the dragon...
Spoiler
Would have reduce a lot of the tedium.

Oh well. It's a lot more fun exploring the world now!:D

Edited by Vinny, 31 January 2013 - 05:41 PM.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#358 Psykodelik

Psykodelik

Piw Piw Masta!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I got the dragon... and I'm honestly kinda upset that they would give the dragon so soon after quick travel. They should have given you quick travel after you finished the trials. Would have reduce a lot of the tedium.

Oh well. It's a lot more fun exploring the world now!:D

Dude, spoilers. I was looking forward to seeing what I'd get in the trials.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#359 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Beat this yesterday and I can honestly say it's the best JRPG I've played since FFIX, but that's not saying much as I don't play that many. It reminds me just how good they were, capturing that oldschool magic that has been lost for console generations. One thing that did surprise me was just how rich of a history this game has, but you wouldn't know it until the final two chapters when they start revealing everything. I was also expecting more animated scenes but sadly they're pretty short and few outside of the beginning and end.

If I could change one thing with the game, it would be to stop insulting the audience's intelligence. I swear to god I got so sick of reading dialogue either babying concepts that were so very clear to any drooler that passed 1st grade or just flat out insults your intelligence. "Mr. Drippy, this looks like a circle don't you think?" "Ah yeah, mun. Sure does, but let me lick it to be sure!" "Jeepers Wally, it must be a square then, even though it has no sides."

I get that this game is clearly geared towards kids, but even my niece who is two isn't this stupid lol.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#360 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Dude, spoilers. I was looking forward to seeing what I'd get in the trials.

Honestly not sure why you'd expect anything good from the trials since it's only 10 hours into the game... but my bad, either way. Completely slipped my mind.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png