Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#481 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Ok I have a question real quick, I'm about 33 hrs in now (just did the vault of tears) and am beginning to wonder why I can't find a toko at all. I have been going to the island the guide says to go to, the name escapes me but its the one that's kind of northeast of the Summerlands, the one that has mites and drongos on it. I keep fighting groups on those islands but I have yet to see a toko. Are there any other areas to try for them that are level appropriate for me at this point (I'm high 30's with Oliver) or should I just keep playing for a while longer and worry about tokos later?

There's a set of 3 islands there, I believe the Toko can only be found in the southeastern one. I always just ran from one end to the other. I found find 1-2 every 10 minutes at the very least. Sometimes they show up on the map and other times, they would show up in fights with other creatures.

I should hunt down that Dino creature you guys are talking about. Some of the post-game quests are much more fun than Derwin's retarded ones.

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#482 io

io

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Ok I have a question real quick, I'm about 33 hrs in now (just did the vault of tears) and am beginning to wonder why I can't find a toko at all. I have been going to the island the guide says to go to, the name escapes me but its the one that's kind of northeast of the Summerlands, the one that has mites and drongos on it. I keep fighting groups on those islands but I have yet to see a toko. Are there any other areas to try for them that are level appropriate for me at this point (I'm high 30's with Oliver) or should I just keep playing for a while longer and worry about tokos later?

I never caught a regular Toko myself and only saw 1 or 2 in 30-40 minutes of hunting them. You may want to go for the TokoToko near Perdida instead. They are much easier to find. I think you can go there now even though you can't get into Perdida itself (and flying and landing near Perdida will then give you the ability to use the Travel spell to get there even before you can go into the town). You might be a little too low in level for the rest of the monsters there, though. You can always give it a shot - just save as soon as you land. I believe it is Billy Goat's Bluff? It is on the west side of Autumnia (north of Hamelin).

#483 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Ok so question. Which evolutions of Mite and Drongo should I take (the final evolution that is)? Both are about that level to do so. Mite is my all out tank and Drongo is my healer/mage.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#484 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

Damn, it took me an hour and a half to find a Dino. I didn't realize it's first stage maxed out level 10... is he really that good? I get that he's strong as hell and has great defense, but his accuracy sucks and he attacks so slowly.

I also caught one of its final forms (the red one) in the final dungeon while leveling my Dino. Is that worth leveling/keeping?

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#485 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

Damn, it took me an hour and a half to find a Dino. I didn't realize it's first stage maxed out level 10... is he really that good? I get that he's strong as hell and has great defense, but his accuracy sucks and he attacks so slowly.

I also caught one of its final forms (the red one) in the final dungeon while leveling my Dino. Is that worth leveling/keeping?

Do NOT use hammers that lower accuracy on him; the few extra points of attack power are not worth the ~50 points of accuracy you lose. Same goes for any armor that lowers a stat; complete waste on him because he's an uber tank. Also, give him a Dragonstooth Ring soon as you can steal one in glittering grotto off a sasquish (or there's one in a green chest IIRC in one of the forest glades). That will increase his attack speed to 3-star making him a slugger. If you do all that, his accuracy should wind up over 200 once you max him out completely.

As for the red one, blue has higher attack IIRC and better abilities to round him out. The boulder throw he learns has very long range and hits for ~1500 with warcry up. Make sure Oliver uses him since he's good with dragon types and prepare to dominate. :D

#486 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

Do you guys know any good resource/site/forum for maximing familiars? Im just at hamelin but have accumulated around 70 familiars now from the areas accessable to me right now. Using mite, drongo, and tumblenr as my main ones. Not sure which ones to invest time on to level up

#487 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

Do you guys know any good resource/site/forum for maximing familiars? Im just at hamelin but have accumulated around 70 familiars now from the areas accessable to me right now. Using mite, drongo, and tumblenr as my main ones. Not sure which ones to invest time on to level up

Not sure there is a solid resource or database out there, but the guide is pretty invaluable in documenting final stats, abilities, etc. In the end, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference what you choose because everything is mostly a joke at max level. Fan favorites so far have been Purrloiner, Toko, Dinoceros, and that gravestone thingy that I never remember the name of. You will pretty much retire all the starter familiars by the end of the game if you're going for a terminator squad.

#488 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

Not sure there is a solid resource or database out there, but the guide is pretty invaluable in documenting final stats, abilities, etc. In the end, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference what you choose because everything is mostly a joke at max level. Fan favorites so far have been Purrloiner, Toko, Dinoceros, and that gravestone thingy that I never remember the name of. You will pretty much retire all the starter familiars by the end of the game if you're going for a terminator squad.

Thanks for the reply. I believe i got a toko tamed from the ugly dickling island. Leveling him is a pain though. he needs 14k just for the 1st level up. Hmmm.. Il try the purrloiner. Have it maxed at the 1st level i think might try and morph him then. I also have monolith. I think i have him ad swaine's secondary familiar. Im also using golden 2nd level hurly but i feel like his not that good. He keeps on missing attacks.

#489 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Do NOT use hammers that lower accuracy on him; the few extra points of attack power are not worth the ~50 points of accuracy you lose. Same goes for any armor that lowers a stat; complete waste on him because he's an uber tank. Also, give him a Dragonstooth Ring soon as you can steal one in glittering grotto off a sasquish (or there's one in a green chest IIRC in one of the forest glades). That will increase his attack speed to 3-star making him a slugger. If you do all that, his accuracy should wind up over 200 once you max him out completely.

As for the red one, blue has higher attack IIRC and better abilities to round him out. The boulder throw he learns has very long range and hits for ~1500 with warcry up. Make sure Oliver uses him since he's good with dragon types and prepare to dominate. :D

Gotcha, thanks.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#490 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Is level maxing really worth it? I haven't been maxing my familiars, just evolving them when they get all their abilities.

Is the bonuses you get that much better, or should I not worry about it. I been trying to get a decent team now. About 22 hours in and I just reached
Spoiler

Posted Image

#491 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Is level maxing really worth it? I haven't been maxing my familiars, just evolving them when they get all their abilities.

Is the bonuses you get that much better, or should I not worry about it. I been trying to get a decent team now. About 22 hours in and I just reached

Spoiler

Wow, I forgot quoting you would reveal the spoiler. Totally not cool CAG.

Well to answer you, I too fought myself on when to morph a familiar. I can say that by the time you find the fairy island, your familiars should be near max level on their first form, so just wait it out and don't morph early, you'll regret it later if you're OCD.

#492 Teh Reaper

Teh Reaper

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

man im at the Tombstone Trail and its hard as hell. Anybody have any pointers? im lvl 23 about 13 hours in maybe im moving to fast in the game so thats why im finding it difficult in this dungeon.

#493 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

I had some time to play during the weekend and all I really wanted to do was grind. I went to the Toko island and did some major power leveling. Upgraded a bunch of familiars to thier final form. I still haven't finished Hamelin yet. I need to go on with the story now.

#494 Teh Reaper

Teh Reaper

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

where is toko island at rodimus?

#495 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

See the 3 highlighted islands? It's the southern most one. This cluster of islands can be found north of the main contenent that you start out at:

Posted Image

#496 Teh Reaper

Teh Reaper

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

sweet thanks.

#497 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

man im at the Tombstone Trail and its hard as hell. Anybody have any pointers? im lvl 23 about 13 hours in maybe im moving to fast in the game so thats why im finding it difficult in this dungeon.

Are you doing the quests? They give pretty good rewards and money, which is good for buying treats/items/equipment.

Also, make sure you do Horace's riddles. He's the ghost you first meet in Ding Dong Dell and appears in every town you go to, assuming you answer his riddles (he won't move on until you answer them). He gives you some really useful spells. If you missed him though, it's a long trip and probably not worth going back for until you get better travel options.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#498 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Draggle DLC is now live! Get him while he's "hot"!

#499 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

sweet thanks.

What level are you? You have no chance unless you're a least lv30+.

#500 io

io

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

Draggle DLC is now live! Get him while he's "hot"!

Wait, what? Is this free? Too bad I finished the game already. I could never catch the gold Draggle and variants that you see post-game.

#501 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

Well did some research and decided on my team I am gonna use to finish the game. Can't get it all now but I can get most of it. Just need to capture a toko but the great part is every time I fail capturing one and just kill itl, I still get a boatload of xp 8-).

Also leveling up my party for a bit before I continue the story.
Posted Image

#502 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

What level are you? You have no chance unless you're a least lv30+.

If you have Monolith and use Yoo Woo to draw attention. You might stand a chance, not a good chance but it's a tactic I used until my party was up to par.

Also I should note the Toko's like to run away almost immediatly. It's better to sneak up on them and target them first. The Toko's are pretty easy but the Mites and monkey's will hit hard if you're under leveled.

#503 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Out of curiosity, did anyone else notice that mobs tend to gravitate towards whoever you're controlling for aggro? I dropped any taunt abilities after realizing that 95% of the time I had aggro lol.

#504 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Just got the game. I am not a fan of anime, but the game is so highly praised, I had to give it a shot. I have to admit, the intro was fantastic. Really showed off the world you are about to explore in an exciting, captivating manner, coupled with great audio work. I hope to expect this level of quality in the actual game.

Just a quick question, does the game reward a lot of random exploring, or is it more straight forward?

#505 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

It's fairly linear at the start until you get more modes of transportation, but for the most part you can explore anywhere you like if you don't want to follow the quests. Finding hidden forest glades or chests are the only real reward though and are quite literally hidden on the overworld map until you get a spell to reveal them. Until then, you'd basically have to run around spamming X to find them by luck or guide.

#506 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Cool, thanks, I will wait then until I can reveal and just concentrate on enjoying the atmosphere and quests.

Played up to the
Spoiler
and I am surprised at how taken I am with the game. I expected to enjoy it, but I have really resonated with this adventure thus far.

#507 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Out of curiosity, did anyone else notice that mobs tend to gravitate towards whoever you're controlling for aggro? I dropped any taunt abilities after realizing that 95% of the time I had aggro lol.

Yep, which makes it all the more annoying when Esther or Swaine go into their random "maybe I'll just stand here for 15 seconds doing nothing" while Oliver gets pummeled.

During some fights though, enemies close in on Esther and kill her off (because she's too busy making sure I'm fully healed even though I still have plenty of HP left). She doesn't have the ability to aggro but I found that kinda weird that the enemy AI is smart, but your allies are dumb as bricks.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#508 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Just an update on Draggle so far.... he seems useless. I have him near max level form 2 and his stats are very low with no good abilities. Griffy still destroys every other familiar in game at this point right before Hamelin.

#509 Action!

Action!

King Koopa.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Just an update on Draggle so far.... he seems useless. I have him near max level form 2 and his stats are very low with no good abilities. Griffy still destroys every other familiar in game at this point right before Hamelin.

I like mine. I got my gold one up to Dragamuffin a while ago though.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 6/28/14   Child of Light       |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in early access! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#510 rpghope18

rpghope18

Never enough RPG's!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Got my platinum for Ni No Kuni last night! :bouncy:

Such a great game!

RPGHope18.png