Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#31 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

well, remember this was not hot in japan. I fully expect it to be mediocre and not get great impressions and final reviews.

#32 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

I haven't gotten a chance to play my PS3 in ages so I had to update it, then get the new store (which is nicer, but still slow) and then do the daunting 2.6GB download/install.

I just played forest half of the demo (there are two small story parts you can play) and I gotta say, it was damn awesome! The graphics look amazing, and the music and voice work were excellent.

The introduction to the combat system is where the demo sort of drops the ball. You're thrown into a boss battle without any instructions about combat and how to use the familiar. Granted, you will figure it out but I stood there for a good 2-3 minutes without realizing that this isn't a standard based combat system, it's an action combat system. They tell you some things, but they should've have told you about the HP/MP restoration things and how to use familiars.

After that, the combat was gravy and pretty fun since moving around actually does impact how battles go (i.e., you can avoid attacks and keep enemies away from Drippy so he can throw out those HP/MP restoration things).

So far, I'd say my expectations have been meet, if not exceeded in some aspects. I know that the Japanese receptions to this game haven't been good but tastes there vary greatly. I mean, take a look at how Famitsu scored The Last Story (a 38/40) versus Xenoblade (36/40) and compare that with your own opinion if you've played those two games. To me, Xenoblade is a masterpiece, while TLS is just good. I get that that's only one source, but it's all about differences in taste.

I personally think Famitsu is a joke these days (given some of the games they've handed out their "coveted" perfect 40s to in the past decade), but this game got a 36 from Famitsu so it's not a bad score. Then again, there was a notable spread in individual scores with an 8, two 9s, and a 10.

Hopefully I'll get to play the second half of the demo tonight.

Currently playing:
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#33 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

The 25 minute limit screwed me on the first half. I paused the game to use the bathroom and smoke a square, lost half my time. Finished the second portion though.

Demo definitely cemented the fact I am going to make a rare day one purchase

#34 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Behind the scenes #1

I'm so ready for another Level-5 console JRPG.

This. Level 5 has me just as excited as the ghibli name

#35 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

You are all insane.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#36 vic_x51

vic_x51

World Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

Demo was great, everything felt polished and fun. I hope it has a long story .

#37 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Demo was great, everything felt polished and fun. I hope it has a long story .

Level 5 games always have long stories because they pad them out with really stupid inane shit.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#38 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

I got through the Volcano part today and that part was just as fun. In this part, you have another ally with you, which brought up a new issue (there's a notable gap when you try to switch from one character to another) and another question (how do you get the non-controlled character to defend?). This battle was a lot more hectic and fun.

Can't wait for this come out... hopefully, the final product is good.:D

Currently playing:
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#39 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

You are all insane.

:lol:

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#40 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Level 5 has done what to excite you exactly?

They have done Dragon Quest VIII, IX, and Layton. Everything else is just mediocre.

Dragon Quest is a give me. It's Dragon Quest.

Which leaves Layton as their 1 successful franchise/game. They then milked it.

Ni No has only gotten a luke warm response in Japan. It will be much less here. Xenoblade got great reviews and was on the biggest selling highest penetrating console this generation, yet got a luke warm consumer response. Expect even less for this game.

I remember a similar hype surrounding White Knight.

#41 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

Level 5 used to be cool. Back when they made Rogue Galaxy.

#42 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

They have done Dragon Quest VIII, IX, and Layton. Everything else is just mediocre.

Ni No has only gotten a luke warm response in Japan. It will be much less here. Xenoblade got great reviews and was on the biggest selling highest penetrating console this generation, yet got a luke warm consumer response. Expect even less for this game.

And DQ was done with the supervision and work of SE. Same with Layton, Nintendo made sure they didn't Fuck it up. When left to their own devices, basically anything not DQ or Layton, it's shit.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#43 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Level 5 games always have long stories because they pad them out with really stupid inane shit.

So you're saying that it's a game from Japan then? ;)
sudo mklove

#44 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

And DQ was done with the supervision and work of SE. Same with Layton, Nintendo made sure they didn't Fuck it up. When left to their own devices, basically anything not DQ or Layton, it's shit.

Well, I enjoyed Dark Cloud 2. But you're right for the most part.
\\:D/

#45 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

After playing the demo, I am completely convinced that no one would give a single Fuck about this game if the Ghibli name weren't attached.

Sums it up for me.

And what a heinous battle theme. BA Nah nah nah nahhhh.....BA Nah nah nah nahhhh

UjCoyFa.png

#46 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Well, I enjoyed Dark Cloud 2. But you're right for the most part.

DC2 had one of the most annoying and awful stories ever. Guy couldn't get over his mommy and every other thing he said was about how he was going on an adventure!

#47 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

Sums it up for me.

And what a heinous battle theme. BA Nah nah nah nahhhh.....BA Nah nah nah nahhhh

I hate playing demos because I have real games to play but you guys are going to make me play this thing and consider canceling my $80 CE from Amazon UK aren't you?

#48 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

I played the demo last night after the previous post. I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. It's a traditional JRPG and almost everything they showed was the battle stuff. I do think there were too many encounters though.

#49 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

I played the demo last night after the previous post. I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about. It's a traditional JRPG and almost everything they showed was the battle stuff. I do think there were too many encounters though.

Not sure what people are complaining about either. Really, we only got a taste of the battle system and little else. Personally, I thought the battle system was solid, the look over all pretty good, and I still want the game.
Posted Image

#50 pippin

pippin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Um I played the demo and absolutely loved it. Personally I think Jan. 22 can't get here soon enough!

#51 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Not sure what people are complaining about either. Really, we only got a taste of the battle system and little else. Personally, I thought the battle system was solid, the look over all pretty good, and I still want the game.

My only complaint is that you can't command Oliver to use provisions from the monster menu. It slows the game down.

#52 Supreme0ne

Supreme0ne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

i played the demo last week and found it enjoyable. really dug the graphics/music/semi-unique battle system. seems like itll have a huge world to explore. i only have 2 complaints, 1 is the overworld camera. 2 is that the story seems like it'll be pretty "kiddie"

im sure i'll get it, probably not at launch though. picked up alot of new games in the past month to keep me occupied. plus im a big level 5 fan. dragon quest 8 is my favorite game ever, but im not a fanboy. i know a dud when they make it. like white knight chronicles. not rogue galaxy though

not by a long shot, crazy people
-Insert witty or meaningful quote here.-

#53 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm not sure what they're after but the "let me snatch some of your soul and give it to someone else" bit sounded extremely dark to me, though obviously unintentional given the game's warmth and fuzziness. Just felt way off to me.

UjCoyFa.png

#54 pippin

pippin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

There's a new picture on the official website that shows the Wizard's Edition including the ninostarter bonuses.

Spoiler

#55 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

The Japanese version of this game is pretty much a Japanese learner's dream come true: furigana and voice-overs in an RPG. Same goes for the original DS game. I think I might import the All-in-One edition.

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/

#56 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

At least playing the demo, it doesn't have full voice acting though. Unless Scamco dropped some from the NA version.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#57 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

Rogue galaxy I loved on ps2. Quite enjoyed dark cloud as well

#58 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

Jeanne dArc was also good. Inazuma Eleven is fun but Europe only.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#59 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

Rogue galaxy I loved on ps2. Quite enjoyed dark cloud as well

Dark Cloud came off as way too unpolished to me at the time. I rented it, returned it, and vowed never to play again.

Rogue Galaxy I never got to play though. Everytime I hear that game or read it I think Star Wars.

#60 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Was this demo just insanely bad, or is it just me? I really wanted to like this game and was even considering a rare launch purchase, but the demo was so bad that I am probably never going to buy this game. I died almost instantly when trying to fight the green giant, and when I tried the other one, it was Ok for a while but I don't like how I was constantly being hit while trying to issue commands.