Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#91 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I didn't have any problems beating the demo, I didnt die once. I just found the battle system to be slow and boring.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#92 NonShalant

NonShalant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I didn't have any problems beating the demo, I didnt die once. I just found the battle system to be slow and boring.

Yeah, playing part 2 of the demo I was done with the game by the time I got to the boss battle. Simple turn based is more exciting than this smh.
It's not what u do, but how it's done

#93 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

European release delayed 1 week, free gift for European buyers.

http://gematsu.com/2...-week-in-europe

#94 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Really nice overworld music.

I'll get it eventually, needs to drop in price though.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#95 district_9000

district_9000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Personally I loved the combat of the game. A bit of a learning curve but I really never played a jrpg.

That art style has me hooked.

Can't wait for my us collectors edition to come in..

#96 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Resonance of Fate sucked. Showed a lot of promise, but also showed tri-Ace still has their heads up their asses. Are they even making games anymore? Haven't heard a peep since I heard they did some work for FF13-2. SO2 and VP1 are two of my favorite games of all time.

Thanks for the props though. :P

Your welcome, your nothing if not blunt and truthful when you hate something. But at least your honest. ;) And you are right about the last story, game is just too weird and out there to be great.

RoF was ass. Game world was completely skeletal and the hex dungeons were absolutely heinous. I can name a lot of "great" games if we simply go by battle system concepts, but it takes much more to make an actual RPG experience work.

Sadly Resonance of Fate probably isn't Tri-Ace worst game this generation.

Wow tough crowd. :lol: :wave: A crowd with questionable taste though ;) :lol:

I'd argue to any of you the story was good by characterization if nothing else. And the battle system was fresh, deep (if you learned how to use it properly which most of the people who hated it, never bothered to learn it) and the music was excellent as well.
Spoiler

If you didn't laugh while watching that you might want to see if you still are alive or have a soul, that's one of the oddest, yet wackiest things I've ever seen in an RPG and Nolan North nails the absurdity, plus seeing cool as ice Vashyron doing something that goofy just rocks. One more reason to love that game.

And I'm not all about Tri-Ace love, Infinite Undiscovery, now that sucked, not sure what they were thinking when they came up with that one. SO3's battle system based on that gem grid....ummm why?

And someone actually hated VP2, I thought it was a nice transition from 2D to 3D for that series. Good story, voice acting, new and different battle system, beautiful gfx and good music. Sounds like why I personally play RPG's dunno, 'bout some of you others from they way I'm reading the posts.

Anyway back on topic.

I watched all two hours of the video, and honestly thought it was a nice throw back to older RPG's with a whimsical story, that wasn't one of the contrived boy saves world or the princess or some other oft told tale.

My only issue is that they started to talk smack about Blue Dragon, I know that game has issues, but it's old school, co-developed by some of the guys who did Shadow Hearts, and plays like a old school RPG, which I found to be very refreshing (and the main character is voiced by the gal who did Brave Fencer Musashi)

I'll be grabbing Ni No Kuni, there is enough content to make me happy and the battle system is what it is, wouldn't be the first time I'd enjoy something that others didn't. ;)
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#97 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Blue Dragon was codeveloped by Nautilus? I thought it was Lost Odyssey that was.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#98 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but my 11 (almost 12) year old tried the demo and liked it. The game looks gorgeous, for sure. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out the demo soon.
Posted Image

#99 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Just picked up my steelbook! The steelbook looks amazing.

#100 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

@uncle

RoF had some cute skits, but it doesn't dismiss the entire game from being an archaic wasteland.

UjCoyFa.png

#101 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

How? GS isn't supposed to be giving them out until you pick up the game.

#102 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Question seconded. How?

#103 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

How? GS isn't supposed to be giving them out until you pick up the game.

A kickass GS manager. I wanted to make sure they were getting enough for all preorders after online sold out, he told me they didn't get enough and to take mine now to make sure I got it.

#104 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Tried my store, he said they got enough for pre-orders. I'll be sure to get there at opening.

On a side note, anyone know if the Best Buy bonus is in-case or on a receipt? I been checking and no one knows
Posted ImagePosted Image

#105 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Damn I wouldnt have sold my Wizards Edition if I had known it was supposed to be such a good game.

Can't wait to play this though, I haven't gotten into a good RPG since Final Fantasy IX.

#106 district_9000

district_9000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Damn I wouldnt have sold my Wizards Edition if I had known it was supposed to be such a good game.

Can't wait to play this though, I haven't gotten into a good RPG since Final Fantasy IX.

I'm in a similar boat, have the US wizard coming and I really want to play it but flipping to $300 sounds nice.

Also, reviews are coming in. I believe IGN gave it a 9.4 and @gamer mag gave it a 4.25 out of 5.

#107 hellboypi

hellboypi

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Just found out about the GS SteelBook so I stopped last night and asked about it.
My store only received two SB's and only had one preorder so they let me preorder and take the SB since it was so close to release date.

Kind of sad that there was only one preorder but it worked out for me.

#108 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Just found out about the GS SteelBook so I stopped last night and asked about it.
My store only received two SB's and only had one preorder so they let me preorder and take the SB since it was so close to release date.

Kind of sad that there was only one preorder but it worked out for me.

well, the sad truth is JRPG, are still a consider a niche, and there is just not alot of demand for it

#109 prateeko

prateeko

IN THE BUTT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I am going to be upset if my steel book is gone since I won't be back in town till the 20th. Also very hyped for this game.

#110 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Is this a 1080p game?

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#111 pippin

pippin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Is this a 1080p game?

It's 720p.

#112 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

It's 720p.

Well, I'm out.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#113 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

I might end up breaking my rule and buying this for full price at release. It looks so beautiful. Plus our TVs are both 720p. :)
Posted Image

#114 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I was looking into just getting the PSN version but apparently the game is 19 GB and apparently SCEA has no desire to put the pre-order up the week before let alone have any kind of pre-load so physical it is.

It'll still be day 01 digital but I'm not waiting for 19 GB to download over PSN let alone having to then turn-around and install said 19 GB...ugh Sony. Hope this shit gets fixed come next-gen.
sudo mklove

#115 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Is it seriously 19GB? Holy fark. I wonder if there is an install option on the retail disc, and if it's required. And if it's 19GB.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#116 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Well the Japanese version is 19 GB so with dual-audio the NA/EU version will likely be even larger not to mention that, for the HDD space weary, it takes twice the amount of the download in free space so 38+ GB free in total. (19+ GB free for the download and an additional 19+ GB free as it installs post-download)

Neither the download time nor the install size of the PSN version phase me but to not have a pre-purchase and pre-load option in order to offset those is bonkers.

Also, there is a mandatory ~3 GB install for the retail disc.
sudo mklove

#117 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Well the Japanese version is 19 GB so with dual-audio the NA/EU version will likely be even larger not to mention that, for the HDD space weary, it takes twice the amount of the download in free space so 38+ GB free in total. (19+ GB free for the download and an additional 19+ GB free as it installs post-download)

Neither the download time nor the install size of the PSN version phase me but to not have a pre-purchase and pre-load option in order to offset those is bonkers.

Also, there is a mandatory ~3 GB install for the retail disc.

I don't think Sony's ever done a pre-load option for digital purchases, have they?

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#118 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

I *think* that Sorcery was the first title to do it and, if memory serves, they refer to it as pre-buy rather than pre-load (?). That's how rarely they use it though...most people don't even know that it exists.

I'm fully spoiled by Steam and their midnight unlocks but if this is Sony and Microsoft attempting day 01 digital releases then they are dropping the ball all the damn time.

edit: Just to show people how utterly dumb this is and then I'll drop-it: You can pre-purchase Ni no Kuni on the EU store and it has the pre-load option. Great job SCEA!:applause:

Edited by Fell Open Ian, 17 January 2013 - 02:49 AM.

sudo mklove

#119 iversonwii

iversonwii

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

Got my steelbook today. Really cool looking. Was Gamestop not supposed to pass these out yet? I tried two different stores and the first one was sold out but said to check back on Tuesday to see who didn't pick theirs up. The second one i tried just handed it to me.

#120 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Ok, at least the disc install is only 3 GB. I only have a 40GB PS3.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi