Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#181 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Level might play a role. You're much higher level than I am. I'm on level 6 and I have noticed that weak enemies seem to be easier to avoid now, at least.

I also just got my second familiar... but stopped playing. He starts off on level 1 though so I hope he still gets experience without actually fighting.

You got your second familiar? hmmm I still do not have a second one yet

Im at
Spoiler

Posted Image

#182 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

I picked up my copy today at GS. About to walk out the door & ask for possible bonus Artbook come with it or not? The guy look up "said no such thing art book" then look up i did not qualify for steel case either ( I pre-ordered my copy 2 weeks ago). He took the steelcase and begin ass hole. Yes, i returned the game in the spot. I'll waits for it go down under $20 now.

damn that was shitty move by him, why dident he just give you a steel case? if he says you dident preorder in time, why should that matter, if they had enough for the preorders, aint like their going to sell the steel books down the road.
Posted Image

#183 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

I picked up my copy today at GS. About to walk out the door & ask for possible bonus Artbook come with it or not? The guy look up "said no such thing art book" then look up i did not qualify for steel case either ( I pre-ordered my copy 2 weeks ago). He took the steelcase and begin ass hole. Yes, i returned the game in the spot. I'll waits for it go down under $20 now.

i thought the steelbook bonus was on a first come, first serve for those who preorder, and pick up their game at gamestop? i preordered about 2 weeks ago too, and i got my steelbook. sorry to hear that, lol i doubt you will ever preorder at gamestop after this experience

#184 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Im a few hours in and having a blast, just got my second familiar, Im at
Spoiler

Posted Image

#185 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

poor2more, is the combat system complicated?

#186 Tuxedo38

Tuxedo38

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

You got your second familiar? hmmm I still do not have a second one yet

Im at

Spoiler

You're real close.

I'm just leaving Ding Dong Dell and I'm not sure if I'm just missing it or what, but is there a place to buy bread, sandwiches, or any other HP/MP boosts?

I burned through a few of them because I completely wasted my MP while not understanding how torches worked (not a spoiler). I've only found them in battles and inside of pots so far.

#187 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

You're real close.

I'm just leaving Ding Dong Dell and I'm not sure if I'm just missing it or what, but is there a place to buy bread, sandwiches, or any other HP/MP boosts?

I burned through a few of them because I completely wasted my MP while not understanding how torches worked (not a spoiler). I've only found them in battles and inside of pots so far.

The old lady -Hootique store (The one who makes you clothes) sells HP/MP restore items in Ding Dong Dell.

Edited by Poor2More, 23 January 2013 - 08:09 AM.

Posted Image

#188 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

poor2more, is the combat system complicated?

Not really complicated at all, just took me an hour to be fluid in combat (using L1 button to switch party members and familiars out of battle on the fly while using directional pad to select them. Once that became natural to me, the battle system was buttery smooth. The combat system might seem simple at first but after you gain another familiar to your party, and have different strength/element weaknesses, you will become very creative and know when and what familar to swap in the heat of battle, so plenty of strategy will defintly be welcomed. I am really enjoying the combat system alot, feels nice and fresh, while oddly still having a classic turn base feel to it even know its an action battle system.

Well its 3am here, Ni No Kuni game kept me up way later then I expected, game is pretty addicting, havent enjoyed an RPG like this since Lost Odyssesy. Yes this game has a RPG golden era (SNES & PSX) feel to it for sure, I mean come on it has a freakin World Map that you can actually travel on, I cant remember the last time I seen one of these in a RPG, and that makes me love it even more.
Posted Image

#189 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

So why isn't anyone talking about this spectacular game? It's been out for a day now! Or is everyone lost in its glory?

#190 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

So why isn't anyone talking about this spectacular game? It's been out for a day now! Or is everyone lost in its glory?

1) People avoid threads until they finish for spoiler reasons.

2) It's only the day after release. Not everybody has a copy yet, such as people who only ordered the Wizard Edition.

#191 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

How necessary is the guide for this game? $60 is bad enough. But $60 + the guide is even worse.

#192 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

How necessary is the guide for this game? $60 is bad enough. But $60 + the guide is even worse.

I honestly just use the Internet or GameFAQs forums when I have a question on where or how to obtain something in game. This game seems like the guide will be pretty useful because secrets/treasure/hidden locations are scattered throughout this game, close to 400 Familiars to obtain (gotta catch'em all right)
The book is nearly 400 pages, hard bound texture lifted cover, 50 pages of exclusive art and interviews from the developers of Ni No Kuni. It also comes with Golden Hurley DLC, which runs around $30-$40 on eBay. I sold my DLC to another fourm site member for $20 so that's paid off my guide completely.

Also some of these hard bound collector guides become rare and can easily fetch what you paid or even double down the road.
Posted Image

#193 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Why would somebody pay $30 to $40 for a DLC item that comes with a $22 guide? Boggles the mind. But good point. Unfortunately amazon is now out of stock. Hopefully they get it back in stock. I'll sell the DLC too.

#194 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I too have 2 familiars and am heading to the Desert, level 10. I see a spot for a 3rd familiar, so that opens up good options during battle for weakness/strong vs familiar. But I'm worried only the 3 equipped will level up. That could be a real pain later on when you get a new familiar and don't really know it's true stats because it's 10-20 levels under.

Another annoying thing could be familiar fullness level, does that ever go down? I was feeding some treats that only gave 1 bonus to stat until I found some milk chocolate and that gives 2 bonus to stat, with same fullness value. So wait for higher quality treats to feed?

Loving the game. Walking around in Motor-ville felt like something I haven't done in years, SNES era, in a good way. Then Ni No Kuni overworld is cool, I already got the stamp perk to move around faster in overworld, and harvest more items.

The cutscenes that transition to actual Studio Ghibli footage works well, because the in-game art style is very similar, props to Level 5. I can see a grand storyline unfolding, and I don't think it will disappoint.

#195 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

I got my shipping notice for my Wizard Edition so I can finally focus on this... too bad I've been packed with work today (and will be tomorrow) and haven't gotten much time to play it.

Are you guys doing the quests by chance? I did the first 3 quests and the bounty, and they weren't too time consuming but weren't all that much fun either.

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#196 knightsdwn

knightsdwn

Beautiful Plastic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Are you guys doing the quests by chance? I did the first 3 quests and the bounty, and they weren't too time consuming but weren't all that much fun either.

I've been doing them as soon as they are available. Although they are pretty bland (so far), the perks you can redeem have been very useful especially the increased chance to surprise attack enemies.

#197 Tuxedo38

Tuxedo38

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

I got my shipping notice for my Wizard Edition so I can finally focus on this... too bad I've been packed with work today (and will be tomorrow) and haven't gotten much time to play it.

I'm about 10 hours in and they start to get more time consuming. One that I'm doing is essentially broken into three parts (finding someone, using your locket, and fetch quest). I do think the fetch quest also involves a bounty, so I should be able to do a two for one.

I also have one that requires me to tame creatures, which should be fun.

The rewards you earn from doing them are definitely worth your while.

#198 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Yeah, I had a bit of trouble with one of these early ones. I had to find some stupid forest kid... and there was no clear indication where the forest entry was. But I finished all of them in Ding Dong Dell, and use one card for the faster running on the world map (very useful). I finished most of the second forest and got familiar #3.

The battle theme is getting kinda annoying.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#199 Killbomb

Killbomb

Waiting for Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Just played the game for like 12 hours straight (have 3 days off work) and I'm loving the Dragon Quest VIII vibe. Really hope this sells well so maybe we can get more like it. 3rd town spoilers...
Spoiler

Posted Image

Posted Image

#200 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Just played the game for like 12 hours straight (have 3 days off work) and I'm loving the Dragon Quest VIII vibe. Really hope this sells well so maybe we can get more like it.

Spoiler

there is a good chance, alot of good reviews on the game. from the bestbuy site, it is sold out online

#201 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

there is a good chance, alot of good reviews on the game. from the bestbuy site, it is sold out online

I didn't think it would sell well after that atrocious demo but things are looking up. It's probably selling well at GS too, thanks to the steelbook.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#202 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I didn't think it would sell well after that atrocious demo but things are looking up. It's probably selling well at GS too, thanks to the steelbook.

yeah, maybe if this game does well in terms of sales. it will increase the chances of actually bringing more jrpgs into states. Even gamestops website is sold out for now, it says backordered. lol

#203 district_9000

district_9000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

People still waiting for your wizard edition, digital river & namco have heard the out cry for the shipping situation and made a FAQ about it.

http://namcobandaiga...b09bb52cde3447a

#204 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Argh. You people are making me seriously consider spending the $60 for this game. Damn you! :)

#205 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Argh. You people are making me seriously consider spending the $60 for this game. Damn you! :)

Well I'll ask this, how old are you? If you're over 25 and have played JRPGs before, you NEED Ni No Kuni.

Btw if anyone has the amazon DLC I am looking for it, please let me know!

#206 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm, sadly, well over 25. LOL. However I don't have a history with JRPGs. So I'm not 100% sure I'm going to love it, but I do absolutely love the art style and the promise.

#207 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'm, sadly, well over 25. LOL. However I don't have a history with JRPGs. So I'm not 100% sure I'm going to love it, but I do absolutely love the art style and the promise.

you only live once, lol might as well take the risk/ plunge

#208 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't know if I'd call this game very friendly to newcomers. It's definitely not advanced, but the game does have numerous aspects to it.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#209 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't know if I'd call this game very friendly to newcomers. It's definitely not advanced, but the game does have numerous aspects to it.

It's definitely not final fantasy 13 easy but it is pretty simple and it does have an easy mode for players wanting to enjoy more of the story. It also tells you exactly where to go, so you won't be lost on what to do for the next objective.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#210 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

It's definitely not final fantasy 13 easy but it is pretty simple and it does have an easy mode for players wanting to enjoy more of the story. It also tells you exactly where to go, so you won't be lost on what to do for the next objective.

and just be a few character levels ahead of what's in the area and you should be fine (normal difficulty,easy should be cake then)