Kidney Transplant

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

Alright, so my aunt is in pretty bad health right now and her lone kidney is only working at about 5% of what it should be. She was recently put on dialysis and isn't doing very well. My mom recently consulted with the family about donating one of her kidneys, but then I got to thinking that she's not in the greatest health either, so I volunteered to donate my kidney. I understand I'll be in the hospital for a few days and need to rest for 2-3 weeks after, so I'll have to take off work, but can anyone here provide anymore insight than that?

Thanks!

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#2 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

you are a better man than me.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#3 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

I believe they have to do a number of tests on you first to make sure you're a match.

#4 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

Hey man, that is damn awesome of you to do. I hope you are a match and everything goes well for you. It is great to see people in this day that still put family before themselves. My grandfather is currently suffering from Alzheimer's and I would give damn near anything to give him back his mind.

As far as the missing time from work, even if you do not have enough vacation time to cover your leave, you can not be fired due to the Medical leave act. Just be upfront with your employer about what you are doing and the time you expect to be away and keep them updated.

Also, if you do not already have one, invest in some sort of handheld gaming device before the hospital stay. Unless you enjoy watching nothing but Jerry Springer and People's Court reruns.
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#5 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

I believe they have to do a number of tests on you first to make sure you're a match.

That is correct.

Hey man, that is damn awesome of you to do. I hope you are a match and everything goes well for you. It is great to see people in this day that still put family before themselves. My grandfather is currently suffering from Alzheimer's and I would give damn near anything to give him back his mind.

As far as the missing time from work, even if you do not have enough vacation time to cover your leave, you can not be fired due to the Medical leave act. Just be upfront with your employer about what you are doing and the time you expect to be away and keep them updated.

Also, if you do not already have one, invest in some sort of handheld gaming device before the hospital stay. Unless you enjoy watching nothing but Jerry Springer and People's Court reruns.

Thanks! Fortunately, my blood type is O+, which is a universal donor, so there shouldn't be any problems as far as matching up blood types goes.

I've kind of lost touch with my extended family and would like to get back in touch with them. I figure this is my chance to do something for them and also for my parents because I don't want them risking their health.

I have a variety of handhelds and am planning on taking my Kindle Fire where I can catch up on some comics.

Thanks for the advice though!

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#6 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:34 AM

Respect to you on your decision and hopefully the tests come out positive. The only way somebody gets my organs is if I'm dead and they see the dot on my driver's license.
Posted Image

#7 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

anyone who can do that has my respect. id be too paranoid about all the negative possibilities that could come from doing that.

#8 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#9 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

[quote name='Tsel']That is correct.

Thanks! Fortunately, my blood type is O+, which is a universal donor, so there shouldn't be any problems as far as matching up blood types goes.

/QUOTE]

Technically O = (Negative) is the universal donor. But it shouldnt matter if your grandomother is O positive or Negative. She's not a woman of child bearing age any more. (I assume)

There's also HLA antigens that need to be checked to ensure the kidney is a match as well. Also the donor has to be screened for various diseases, HIV, Syphyllis, Hepatits, even CMV.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#10 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Assuming you are a match, I hope everything goes well for you. You are indeed a nice person and one who is unlike most of the population who would just wait for their family to die and inherit whatever they have to offer.

Good luck to you and keep us updated with your handhelds. Much respect to you and I would rep you up if I could.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#11 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

wow good luck

#12 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Living with a single kidney doesn't usually affect a person in good health all that much, though your body will have to adjust for a bit. However with my limited background, the one piece of real advice I can offer is if in the future you are placed on any medications in a high dose or any powerful medications such as certain antibiotics make sure that your doctors act carefully and run labs/tests for your kidney function. You don't want to damage your kidney function if you only have 1 remaining. Also you may consider eliminating some foods from you diet that have supposed been linked to kidney stone development, I can't remember them now, but I'm sure you doctor can tell you.

#13 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Turns out her blood type is also O+, so we have the exact same blood type. Good sign thus far.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#14 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

Good luck and keep us posted. This takes a lot of balls.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#15 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

You're a pretty good dude for that. Volunteering for any kind of operation takes some real balls.

#16 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

You're a pretty good dude for that. Volunteering for any kind of operation takes some real balls.

And for this one, also 2 kidneys.

Now playing (& watching):
:br:-Strike Back: Vengeance
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#17 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

i donated a kidney to my younger sister fairly recently - dec. 28, 2010 so i hope i can help u with any questions u may have. i had to undergo testing for a full year while my sis was on dialysis before they could consider me ready to be a donor. this is because they have to test your urine/blood for any irregularities and im sure they tested it for compatibility with my sisters blood.

during that time i was also subject to several counseling mental/emotional evaluations for them to make sure that this is what i wanted to do. they need to make sure you really want to donate and try and get u to back out to weed out any 'heros'. since they invest alot in you they can't waste time on someone thats gonna back out later on, even though they say u can change your mind at any time. they tried to psyche me out and say that i could die and that its not guaranteed to work -especially because my sis has lupus- but i just smiled and said lets do it.

it realllllly helps to lose any extra lbs u may have as the less fat the doc has to go thru the easier surgery will be for him. mine was done lapriscopically. i was in the hospital for 5 days, if everything goes well u could probably be out in 3. recovery time varies on an individual basis and could be from 2 weeks to a month or more. u can't be active for the first 2 or u can cause a hernia or opening the surgical scars and have them get infected. ur not supposed to drive for that time either, for the same reason and also because the pain meds they give you are strong and would impair your ability to drive safely.

ohhh, if for some reason you aren't a match, see if they have a swap program- they find a recipient for ur kidney and in return they find a donor for your aunt. both happen around the same time, and they fly ur kidney out to where it needs to be if necessary. i dunno if ur program offers that,
i donated at stanford university hospital and they gave me that option in case i wasn't compatible with my sis.

oh yeah. don't do drugs and don't drink. seriously. after the surgery thats even more important, since u'll only have 1 kidney to deal with and filter all those toxins so the doc will likely recommend u stop drinking altogether.

also, post surgery, be prepared to do similar testing/evaluations for the following year. so, you're going to be missing alot of work throughout this whole ordeal depending on where your surgery is taking place/how far it is/when you can schedule appointments/etc. a year of testing presurgery, surgery, and then recovery+ year of postsurgery testing, and then less regular testing/evaluations for subsequent years depending on ur program. since ur a graphic designer see if ur company will let u work from home and telecommute on the days u have medical appointments/are in 2nd week of recovery+.

thats all pretty basic stuff, if u have any more questions feel free to respond here or pm me. good luck!

edit- tried to pm u to let u know that i posted this but ur inbox is full.

Edited by technicalstylez, 23 June 2012 - 02:20 PM.

my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#18 dopa345

dopa345

All around nice guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Best of luck to you. Fingers are crossed that things will go well for both you and your aunt.

#19 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

This may seem like a weird suggestion but you may want to look up the English translation of the original Parasite Eve novel the games were inspired by. It may be a bit dated in some ways but the description of a kidney transplant that is a major subplot is remarkably well told.

It depends how you feel about such things, since obviously some scary stuff happens in the book. My family is funny that way. My aunt gave my mother a copy of 'Coma' to read before she went in for elective surgery many years ago.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.