Microsoft Surface (new tablet)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

All Ivy Bridge family processors have HD 4000, which is a significant improvement over 3000.

Then the chart I read was wrong.

Should be able to play D3 then.

#32 Yagami

Yagami

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

Just looking around a little, seems to me that MS hasn't made it easy for anyone to port their stuff over to the Metro UI. If they've made it such a pain for developers they may have limited support for the RT version of this.

WP7 has been around for awile and there's not much complaint on incorporating Metro there.

To be honest, developers are little bitches. Anything MS incorporates that requires them to do something different they will whine about costing them resources/training.

I'll never forget how MS gave a lead time of at least a year in open beta for the upcoming driver changes in Vista, and even longer in the specs/requirements. Vista came out and all of the big vendors, including HP/etc tried to play it up as if this was some big surprise that their old shit did not work with Vista. Same thing happened when MS switched to the old 3.0 to 95 driver model.

I love the Metro design for my phone I think it'll work well with a tablet.

#33 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Oooohhh...only way I'll ever afford one of these is if I find one someone accidentally left sitting somewhere.
Praxus_07.png

#34 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

I like the look of the it (design) and the keyboard case however I wonder how the apps will shape up.. because thats one of the key reasons the iPad is so successful.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#35 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

looks really nice, but I still haven't been convinced about needing one of those vs just using my laptop. I already have an iphone, what is the point of getting a tablet?

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#36 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

looks really nice, but I still haven't been convinced about needing one of those vs just using my laptop. I already have an iphone, what is the point of getting a tablet?

For me its mainly for reading stuff--PDFs, newspapers, magazines etc.

I hate reading on a laptop or PC, and a phone is too small (as is my Kindle 3) for documents etc.

If you don't care about that, probably not much use for a tablet for you. Especially if you already have a very light laptop (or just don't need to carry a laptop around very often).

I do a lot of web surfing, e-mail, checking my calender etc. on it as well. But that's all stuff I could do on my laptop. I just often do it on the iPad since it's lighter and always around usually.

#37 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

WP7 has been around for awile and there's not much complaint on incorporating Metro there.

To be honest, developers are little bitches. Anything MS incorporates that requires them to do something different they will whine about costing them resources/training.

I'll never forget how MS gave a lead time of at least a year in open beta for the upcoming driver changes in Vista, and even longer in the specs/requirements. Vista came out and all of the big vendors, including HP/etc tried to play it up as if this was some big surprise that their old shit did not work with Vista. Same thing happened when MS switched to the old 3.0 to 95 driver model.

I love the Metro design for my phone I think it'll work well with a tablet.

Well to be fair, a company like MS lives and dies by the developer community. If nobody writes software for it, nobody will want to buy it because of how limited the available software is. And what triggered that post was a thread I was reading about VLC being ported.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#38 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Well to be fair, a company like MS lives and dies by the developer community. If nobody writes software for it, nobody will want to buy it because of how limited the available software is. And what triggered that post was a thread I was reading about VLC being ported.

VLC is going to be ported to the Win tablet platform? They haven't even beta'd the Android version yet!:lol:

#39 Wet Ninja

Wet Ninja

Cheaping from the shadows

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

"iPad killer?" They're a few years too late to be claiming that already. I won't lie, it does look very nice. But this is typical Microsoft -- wait a few years after another company innovates, then imitate with a few extra features to claim originality.

Microsoft first had tablets out in the early 2000s, 8-9 years before the iPad. They were a lot clunkier, but the idea was there.

I can't decide if I want to go for an Android tablet or a Windows 8 tablet to replace my old and slow notebook. I have an Android phone and like the OS, but it would be nice to have my Steam library in a more portable format (my notebook can run only 3-4 of my 174 games). I haven't tried Windows 8 yet, though, so I'll have to demo that before I decide.

#40 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

I'm not a tech person but aren't most programs windows based? I see very little reason as to why it would be difficult to make windows based applications.

I'm sure things have changed a little but most software was always made for windows AND it was also Mac compatible. I'm sure there are a few Mac Os specific programs and applications out there but I always thought everything was made to work for Windows and if it was popular as well then it a Mac Os version was made.

But outside of iPods I haven't used and apple products since iMacs were forced on school systems... so I could be way out of tune.

#41 ShadowSx

ShadowSx

Why so serious?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Internet Explorer at it's finest.

Whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you.. stranger.

#42 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

VLC is going to be ported to the Win tablet platform? They haven't even beta'd the Android version yet!:lol:

Didn't mean that. It was someone posting on their forum about wanting to use the source and port it. VLC's creator mentioned about why that would be difficult. Something about only being able to access certain things through APIs. Doesn't mean it's impossible, just more difficult than it would be with a normal copy of Windows. I wasn't really looking for it, just happened upon it randomly.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#43 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

Internet Explorer at it's finest.

I have to give MS credit, they do know how to screw up a presentation. And that's far from the first time something like that has happened in the middle of one of their demos.

#44 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Didn't mean that. It was someone posting on their forum about wanting to use the source and port it. VLC's creator mentioned about why that would be difficult. Something about only being able to access certain things through APIs. Doesn't mean it's impossible, just more difficult than it would be with a normal copy of Windows. I wasn't really looking for it, just happened upon it randomly.

I know, I was just being facetious.;)

#45 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Rumors are that the Tegra 3 / Windows 8 RT version will be >$599 and the Intel Core i5 / Windows 8 Pro version will be >$799:

http://www.digitimes...20619PD210.html

Edited by shrike4242, 21 June 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#46 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I know, I was just being facetious.;)

Yeah, I don't want anyone else getting their feathers ruffled.

edit- Well I guess I won't be buying it if those prices are true.

#47 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

This thing looks slick. I wonder if they'll do a beta of it? I would definitely be in for that.

Forza 5 Full Game Download/Titanfall Full Game Download - $80 bundle

Ms. Splosion Man and Pinball FX XBL Codes for Sale/Trade

This is my new theme song. "Man, you're a CheapAssGamer."

YouTube

#48 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ahh, that's some good youtube. You can see the fear in brother v-neck's eyes, he's thinking, "What else on this fucker isn't going to run?" The pessimist in me believes he's goofing on the teleprompter to buy time for a stealth reboot.

Jesus, MS is lousy at product reveals and launches. I guess I'm just basing this on the 360 stuff, the Zune, and now this. Who knows.

Also, I hate v-neck sweaters. Especially with a t-shirt underneath. I don't like them much with dress shirts, but with t-shirt only? That is not appropriate, mister.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Rumors are that the Tegra 3 / Windows 8 RT version will be >$599 and the Intel Core i5 / Windows 8 Pro version will be >$799:

http://www.digitimes...20619PD210.html

(fixed)

The article said 'above.' So that means the Tegra 3 is at least 599 and the x86 is at least 799. Analysts are guessing here, no more.

#50 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

The article said 'above.' So that means the Tegra 3 is at least 599 and the x86 is at least 799. Analysts are guessing here, no more.

Fixed my previous post, thank you for catching that mistake.

And yes, it's rumor at this point, we'll probably know more in a couple of months' time.

#51 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

I think the industry's plan must be to artificially inflate MSRPs in the existing laptop market, because Steve Jobs's "third device" argument still doesn't take. Outside of eReading, I don't see the role that a tablet fills that isn't handled better by a laptop or smartphone (and then economy eInk readers do the job better than tablets).

There's just not a viable market for tablets at these prices if laptops remain what they are. The only way I could see it is if a decent laptop for work/play suddenly cost $1500-2000 instead of $500-1000. And that's kind of what Apple's doing, I guess, by forcing all MacBooks into the Air model and price, they're forcing the tablet idea and clearing more room for the iPad.

But for non-Apple folks? Are ASUS, Dell, etc. gonna follow suit? God I hope not.
Posted ImagePosted Image