Are bike helmets safer... or even safe?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:25 AM

I've had two catastrophically bad bicycle accidents in my life. (well one pretty damn bad one and a really damn bad one, I'll post pics if I get enough requests). I cracked my skull the first time, and majorly fucked up my face the second time. (also keep in mind these accidents were about 16 years apart)
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#32 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

Wearing a matching helmet with your bike is considered douchey? Huh.

UjCoyFa.png

#33 Guest_Pliskin101_*

Guest_Pliskin101_*

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

I've had two catastrophically bad bicycle accidents in my life. (well one pretty damn bad one and a really damn bad one, I'll post pics if I get enough requests). I cracked my skull the first time, and majorly fucked up my face the second time. (also keep in mind these accidents were about 16 years apart)

Post the pics. Had a friend about twenty years ago who lost it on a corner and lost the entire side of his face on the cheese grater.

#34 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

I'd have two less siblings if helmets didn't make a huge difference in survivability of motorcycle crashes. Both of my brothers are alive and mostly well today after at least one accident each that would have killed them outright from head trauma. They have their cumulative aches and pains but aren't paralyzed or brain injured. (There is some room for argument on the last but that is more of a family issue.

And for motorcycles when I say helmet I mean a serious full face model. Those skullcap jobs the weekend warrior types wear to get around the law are a joke. Except when you see the horrific results.

For example, in 1979 Older Brother #2 was riding his Suzuki GS550 in traffic somewhere in LA. Not sure IIRC where exactly but he ended up at Cedars Sinai Hospital. Anyway, approaching an intersection, an idiot ahead in the left lane suddenly decided he needed to make a right turn and waiting for the next intersection just wasn't acceptable. He cut across three lanes of traffic and this caused a SoCal Edison pickup truck to turn nearly sideways while struggling to stop. Because of this sudden wall my brother had nowhere to go and slammed into the side of the truck. He was thrown about 30 feet and came down face first. If he hadn't been wearing a proper helmet and somehow survived, it would have been a very uncomfortable life without solid food.

Instead, his head injuries were minor. The most severe injury was a fractured left femur. They put in a rod and it was a near total recovery. He later developed rheumatoid arthritis and that leg gives him more trouble than the other but all in all he had every reason to be extremely glad he wore a good quality helmet. The fact that he was able to feel extremely glad about anything considering the potential damage is saying a lot.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.