CAGcast #287: Stand and Deliver

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]CheapyD stands up for himself, Shipwreck runs out of environment, and Wombat plays a game that rhymes with Mego Catfan Moo.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]196[/podcast]
Download - 1 hour 24 minutes, 51MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

This episode sponsored by Stack Soap!
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Girl Talk - Feed the Animals

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sway']Thank you Gaming Moses. Thoughts on the 3DS XL?[/QUOTE]
Not interested. Maybe if that thing came out first, but there is no way I'm double dipping on a 3DS. That's just crazy talk.

OMG that alphabet song outro was sooo cute! HNGGGG!

Great show guys as usual. Cheapy, maybe you should get a desktop microphone stand. Keep us updated on how that desk works out.

I like how none of you seem to know the difference between the Three Kingdoms period in China, and the Sengoku period in Japan. "Oh yeah, that Nobunaga game -- is Lu Bu in it?" Americans...

[quote name='option.iv']OMG that alphabet song outro was sooo cute! HNGGGG!

Great show guys as usual. Cheapy, maybe you should get a desktop microphone stand. Keep us updated on how that desk works out.[/QUOTE]

I have a desktop mic stand, but I had the arm extended too far and it kept sinking. I think I have it properly set for next time.

After standing from 9:30am-3:30pm (with a break for lunch & to pick up Tai) I was pretty exhausted. Felt really good working while standing though.

One thing I forgot to mention about Indie Game: The Movie; Jonathan Blow uses a standing desk.

This month in Bullshit Quarterly, The Circulatory Benefits of the Standing Desk* by world renowned researcher and author Dr. Vinnie Boombotz. Followed by The Life and Times of Brittney Hendricks, in which our esteemed editor, Wombat, details his week at E3 with the highest paid booth babe in the industry, with a special focus on how she plans on spending the $20,000 she earned at the conference.

For our online subscribers, witness Wombat's driving acumen in his hands on video review of the Lamborghini Gallardo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY

*Commissioned by the SDMRC (Standing Desk Manufacturers and Retailers Coalition)

FYI, Nobunaga was a Japanese warlord. Lu Bu was Chinese general/warlord and Romance of the Three Kingdoms was in China. Cao Cao was the fat guy Wombat mentioned. Koei has succeeded in confusing everyone.

Cheapy, are you going to stand while you game in the living room, or just when taking care of bidness?

And Wombat, you do have a following. Have you forgotten about the WLA?

I think the Blizzard thing is ridiculous, but here is my theory as to what it is combatting (as Wombat was up in arms with Cheapy's explanation). I have had people message me in game to sell me gold and they had account names like 'fgggdfdfd'. I'm guessing as they get banned, they are constantly making new accounts and this way it takes them 3 days to be able to do their nonsense

It is amazing how much Lollipop Chainsaw feels like Shadow of the Damned, despite it being so different. I prefer Lollipop, though. I didn't like the characters in Shadow.

As for the continuing at checkpoints, if you go back to the map screen and then back into the stage, it will make you start over, but backing out to the main menu (where "Cherry Bomb" plays) will let you continue from the checkpoint. Protip: This will also let you keep your stage score high... if you die, choose to quit and back out to main menu. When you rejoin your game, it will not count as using a continue.

I need to see Indie Game the Movie.
Cheapy, do you think you will ever go back to play Fez? I just finished a couple weeks ago, and I have to say, it is probably up there for my game of the year. It is fantastic. I can see how it isn't for everyone. It had some puzzles that were hands down some of the hardest I have ever encountered.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Ship should do a video review of that boat game.[/QUOTE]

With the green screen too.

[quote name='drew327']I think the Blizzard thing is ridiculous, but here is my theory as to what it is combatting (as Wombat was up in arms with Cheapy's explanation). I have had people message me in game to sell me gold and they had account names like 'fgggdfdfd'. I'm guessing as they get banned, they are constantly making new accounts and this way it takes them 3 days to be able to do their nonsense[/QUOTE]

I think the main reason for this is to combat credit card fraud when purchasing digitally, so you are limited while the transaction clears. Basically, rather than stealing active accounts a nefarious ne'er-do-well may opt to instead obtain stolen credit card info and use this to purchase valid copies digitally. A day of power-leveling later and this person can be up and running gold farming or otherwise generally screwing up the economy. Upon discovery of this fraud by the cardholder the transaction would be disputed and cancelled leaving blizzard with no sale and an economy worse off.

They've since acknowledged that the level cap restriction was an unintended bug and a fix is incoming. The main intended restrictions are against using the auction house and gold/item trading.

D3 Forum Source

Wombat...thank you. I dont recall you ever doing so, so thanks for not boring us to tears with lame simulation games. Cheapy had that damn Japanese train one, now Ship has boats. Please dont play a plane simulator any time soon...

[quote name='penfold.01']I think the main reason for this is to combat credit card fraud when purchasing digitally, so you are limited while the transaction clears. Basically, rather than stealing active accounts a nefarious ne'er-do-well may opt to instead obtain stolen credit card info and use this to purchase valid copies digitally. A day of power-leveling later and this person can be up and running gold farming or otherwise generally screwing up the economy. Upon discovery of this fraud by the cardholder the transaction would be disputed and cancelled leaving blizzard with no sale and an economy worse off.

They've since acknowledged that the level cap restriction was an unintended bug and a fix is incoming. The main intended restrictions are against using the auction house and gold/item trading.

D3 Forum Source[/QUOTE]

I see Cheapy's point about not penalizing legitimate customers but in this case Blizzard's actions are very much in the interest of its customers. Besides, anyone who has waitied until almost the end of June to buy Diablo III can wait 72 more hours.

whats the deal with Dragon's Dogma Wombat?
I know you want to dig on Capcom's DLC but you didnt get a chance, lets hear it.

@ CheapyD (and possibly Shipwreck), you mentioned that 360 controller support is a big deal to you. It is to me too, so for those games that do not have controller support, I use a program called Xpadder. It lets you map keys, clicks, and mouse movements to the 360 controller.

Basically I spend 5 minutes looking up the controls to the game, quickly map them to the controller interface in Xpadder, and save the profile. Then, anytime I want to play a PC game with no controller support, I quickly open xpadder and select the profile I made for the game. It really helps you enjoy other PC games you might have missed otherwise.

There are other programs that do something similar, but Xpadder is my favorite.

[quote name='kaze1o1']With kinect not really working well and further showing motion controls don't really work well yet do you think this new device will catch on.

Its called Leap Motion, is way cheaper, smaller and looks to work much better than Kinect.

http://leapmotion.com/

http://youtu.be/_d6KuiuteIA[/QUOTE]

I hate to double-post here, but this looks incredible. :applause:

I have high hopes.

Unlike Wombat, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about Shipwreck's adventures with the Ship Simulator game. It's the quirky PC games like this that I'm most excited to hear about him trying.

Let's see if Shipwreck can get a code for Railworks 3: Train Simulator 2012 and it's $2000 worth of DLC on steam or possibly Farming Simulator 2011.

[quote name='Fearbeard']Unlike Wombat, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about Shipwreck's adventures with the Ship Simulator game. It's the quirky PC games like this that I'm most excited to hear about him trying.

Let's see if Shipwreck can get a code for Railworks 3: Train Simulator 2012 and it's $2000 worth of DLC on steam or possibly Farming Simulator 2011.[/QUOTE]

dear god

I really hate when you guys mention any apple product.. and wombat have to take the OMG WTF YOU TALKING ABOUT ITS SO MUCH BETTER CRAP.. you make it seem like any apple product isthe best products ever made.. they are not.. overpriced junk.

anyways.. good show.. :)

Two comments about the show.

1. In further defense of Wombat, the giant coin and dinosaur appeared frequently in Batman the Animated Series and Batman Beyond. The Animated Series even had an episode origin episode for the penny where Batman was tied to it by Two Face. Cheapy may have been too old to watch the Animated Series, but I imagine Shipwreck was at the right age to catch that show in it's heyday.

2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dynasty Warriors, Red Cliff, Lu Bu, etc. are all Chinese related. Nobunaga is Japanese.

Thanks again to Wombat, the paragon of maturity, for trying to stifle his laughter while Shipwreck talked about the Avenger's balls in the new pinball table. On the other hand, I've been meaning to try the Zen pinball tables and think I will actually pick up these tables when I get paid next week. Another great show.

I was very disappointed with this show. Wombat and Cheapy both mentioned that they were sweaty, but Shipwreck didn't, so now I'm left wondering if he was too cool to sweat or if he was also sweating.

Just got to the part in the CAG cast where you guys talk about Saints Row, and are you guys not concerned with becoming bored with Saints Row? I played the 3rd game and really like it but beat it and was pretty much done, having no real interest in doing some of the more difficult challenges.

And while I liked starting the game and having everything already available I like the sense of progress that comes with upgrading your shit and moving up in the world.

With that said though I really enjoyed Saints Row. I mean, I beat which is a rare thing for me to do nowadays.

Most people give up on their standing desks after a month or so. As for the supposed health benefits, short periods of standing during the day have been shown to be beneficial, but standing for longer has not shown any additional benefit and has it's own risks.

Standing to work has long known to be problematic, it is more tiring, it dramatically increases the risks of carotid atherosclerosis (ninefold) because of the additional load on the circulatory system, and it also increases the risks of varicose veins, so standing all day is unhealthy.
The performance of many fine motor skills also is less good when people stand rather than sit. We have tested computer use when sitting and standing in different ways. The problem with standing is that when you raise desk height for keyboard/mouse use you need to also raise screen height above the desk or you get neck flexion.
Also, for standing computer work, the computer fixes the person’s posture, there is greater wrist extension and pretty soon people end up leaning which also compromises their wrist posture, thereby increasing the risks of a musculoskeletal disorder like carpal tunnel syndrome.

Alan Hedge, Cornell University

Your best bet is to work out in the middle of the day (or at least walk if your job site has no facilities). Take regular breaks, and make a point to move around. Walk upstairs rather than just go to the nearest coffee machine, etc.

Cheapy, I have to call out your comment concerning specific skills being required to drive a modern supercar (referring to the Forza girls taxi service). There are certain cars that only have manual transmissions with very stiff clutches and lots of power that make driving them a little tougher than a normal car, plus I agree with you when it comes to older Italian cars, but the cars I saw probably had paddle shifters. Any car with paddle shifters has a fully automatic mode making them as easy to drive as any Honda... as long as you don't put foot it in at least.

[quote name='demonhellcat']Cheapy, I have to call out your comment concerning specific skills being required to drive a modern supercar (referring to the Forza girls taxi service). There are certain cars that only have manual transmissions with very stiff clutches and lots of power that make driving them a little tougher than a normal car, plus I agree with you when it comes to older Italian cars, but the cars I saw probably had paddle shifters. Any car with paddle shifters has a fully automatic mode making them as easy to drive as any Honda... as long as you don't put foot it in at least.[/QUOTE]

About to make the same post. plus 4wd and launch assist. It is harder to program the gps on those cars than drive them. But what do you expect from cheapyD the only things he knows about cars come from TopGear. :)

Cheapy's point on cars still stands, when you take safety into account. Do you really want an inexperienced driver behind the wheel of a $200k to $1 mill car? It may be easy to drive under controlled circumstances, but it's also very easy to fuck up in in a big way, like the lambo video earlier.

Also, the giant penny has been around since 1947 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Plunderer). /nerdmode off

[quote name='donkeydrop']Most people give up on their standing desks after a month or so. As for the supposed health benefits, short periods of standing during the day have been shown to be beneficial, but standing for longer has not shown any additional benefit and has it's own risks.

Alan Hedge, Cornell University

Your best bet is to work out in the middle of the day (or at least walk if your job site has no facilities). Take regular breaks, and make a point to move around. Walk upstairs rather than just go to the nearest coffee machine, etc.[/QUOTE]

I'm really glad you posted about that. I've been hearing about the standing desk trend for about 6 months or so and felt that it was bullshit, but I was still scared by the numbers from various studies. A treadmill desk makes more sense to me but I'm confident my workplace would never spring for one.

[quote name='S0LIDARITY']I'm really glad you posted about that. I've been hearing about the standing desk trend for about 6 months or so and felt that it was bullshit, but I was still scared by the numbers from various studies. A treadmill desk makes more sense to me but I'm confident my workplace would never spring for one.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing earlier. If you're going to stand while doing something at home, why not just walk on a treadmill or get on an exercise bike? You don't have to go crazy with it, I'm sure even at a slow pace it would be better than just standing there.

1. Romance of the Three Kingdom's is a Chinese story. Nobunaga was Japanese.

2. Kinect needs a way to register closed hands so you can "grab" things instead of having to snap to it.

bread's done
Back