Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#271 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

^I so would buy that Pikachu themed 3DS XL if it was released in the North America! Never owned a themed console.

Going to hold out for a themed console or a Mario/Zelda/Sonic type 3DS XL bundle.

#272 M_Wrizzle

M_Wrizzle

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Its pretty pixely! Tried it the other week at gamestop here in Germany!

Therefore.... I ended up getting the normal 3DS w (2 game bundle) with charger new for same price as the XL alone! Pretty happy so far!

#273 maigoyume

maigoyume

The Lost Dreamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

If and this is a huge IF, Nintendo releases the LE Fire Emblem design they did on the 3DS on an XL I'm ALL IN.

They might as well take my credit card.
Posted Image

It's cheap to ship to/from Canada. Please take a look at Magiic's Magiical Shipping Guide.
For info on Canadian Customs and Tax exemption check Here,
Here and Here
Currently Playing:
Spoiler

#274 MrSneis

MrSneis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Love the console, dislike the colors. Currently only have my DSi XL which is the glossy red/black Mario Kart edition ~ maybe I should ebay it over the weekend.
Virtual Hydlide, Bad Dudes

#275 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

meh.

if the 3DS XL wasn't region locked I'd be getting this from my friend's trip to Japan soon.

#276 Modest Oddity

Modest Oddity

You can't quit me.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

I wonder how the stock will be on these things, hoping to score the blue and black one, it's looks awesome.

#277 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

In a weird way, I have to thank Best Buy for using my lack of impulse control up before the 3DSXL release date. I had enough credit for one after the 100% trade-in bump... but then the gaming blowout sales wiped that out.

Given I'm not thrilled with the colors and would rather wait, it's not a bad thing that my means to pick one up on Sunday disappeared. Ha.

#278 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

I'm probably not getting one for launch (unless my girlfriend ends up getting me one for my birthday next week) but if there's a special edition one for black friday, I'm completely sold.

#279 ddhex27

ddhex27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Can anyone explain how to change virtual console games from 1:1 to full screen on the 3dsxl?

#280 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

Same as the regular 3DS: Hold Select upon start-up.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#281 ddhex27

ddhex27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Same as the regular 3DS: Hold Select upon start-up.

Thanks. I guess this doesn't work on the NES games, which is why I was having trouble. Maybe that is old news to most people, I had never tried it before. Worked great on the VC version of minish cap though.

#282 Fuzzibunny

Fuzzibunny

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Just got the XL .... Well worth it. I can finally see the screen and I am addicted to Mario kart and Heros of ruin demo
:3ds::applause::psp:

#283 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

Just got the XL .... Well worth it. I can finally see the screen and I am addicted to Mario kart and Heros of ruin demo

Ah yes, good to hear a positive feedback from a "real" person (not reviewer). Sent the OG 3DS out last week and just waiting on delivery from Newegg to try and run this thing into the ground before classes start again next week.
Posted Image

#284 pjgamer007

pjgamer007

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

Got my 3DS XL today, the blue one. This thing looks soooo much better than pictures made it out to look.

Haven't had much time with it yet, but I have been playing FF Theatrythm and I LOVE IT. I am very happy with this purchase!

#285 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

So are these things going to be hard to find? I want to pick one up tomorrow if possible.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#286 pjgamer007

pjgamer007

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

So are these things going to be hard to find? I want to pick one up tomorrow if possible.

They may be hard to find at Gamestop, at least. Seems like they only got enough for preorders at mine.

If you have a Fry's nearby, you really should try for one today, since they are $180 today only.

#287 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

Got my 3DS XL today, the blue one. This thing looks soooo much better than pictures made it out to look.

Haven't had much time with it yet, but I have been playing FF Theatrythm and I LOVE IT. I am very happy with this purchase!

The blue on the original one looked horrid in pictures too but was actually really sharp in person. I would have went that route had they made the entire unit the same color all over, OCD made my decision last time. Went red on 3DSXL but was really indifferent toward the color options offered to be honest.
Posted Image

#288 rhymenoceros

rhymenoceros

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

So far I'm really enjoying it. The only gripes are minimal. The sound seems lower than the3DS and the 3d viewing angles seem smaller. any slight head tilt and you can lose the effect, it seems. And i kinda sorta miss the little light that tells you the 3d effect is on. It's not necessary but was a nice little touch. Also, last thing I swear, the stylus is cheaper than the original metal telescoping stylus on the 3DS.
That was all. I'm currently enjoying kingdom hearts and theatrhythm a lot right now. And will start devil survivor overclocked soon!

#289 Wet Ninja

Wet Ninja

Cheaping from the shadows

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

How do original DS games look on the 3DS XL?

#290 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

My pic of DS game (Mega Man Zero Collection, fully stretched not 1:1, image smaller cause it's GBA to DS port):
http://sphotos-b.xx....119450930_n.jpg

3DS game (Dead or Alive Dimensions which looks beautiful on it BTW):
http://sphotos-b.xx....549269310_n.jpg

I really love this machine. The internet was not kidding when they told me the screens were MASSIVE! I was expecting bigger screens but when I opened my XL I reacted with a Bill & Ted "whoooooaa" Hinge is sturdy and so seems the rest of the unit and buttons themselves. D-pad is a lot more comfortable and natural to use compared to the original's.

3D effect looks exactly the same to me but better. Ghosting is reduced significantly but it's still there a little bit. Painfully still obvious playing the Resident Evil Revelations demo which is a shame. The terrible speakers are the only downgrade seeing as they're lower in volume and quality than the original's. But portable speakers are truly crap anyway and I will be using my headphones so that's forgivable.

So I think the 3DS XL is well worth it and I don't regret my purchase. It really is perfect except for the speakers but that's not a big issue here. I've got my old 3DS packed away in it's box ready to be sold to my friend and I will never go back to the original after my experience with the XL.
Posted Image
Thanks to QiG for the kick-ass Duke Nukem Cocksmas Avatar

#291 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

I don't think I've seen a game look bad on the XL yet from pics.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#292 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

Well, my experience has been odd with this unit.
Zero merchandise at Target or ToysRus...nothing, nada.

There were plenty of consoles at Gamestop, but zero accessories.
No overpriced pouches or screen protectors to be purchased. The only option was an odd protector that claimed to work for both the DSiXL and the 3DSxl...but only for the touch screen. I think someone was trying to cash in quickly, without doing much work, 'cause the touch screens on both xl units are identical (or nearly so).

I cut an extra Vita protector, I had, to fit the screen (not perfect but it'll work until the supply comes in). And I used a DsiXl protector for the bottom screen.

Traded in my 'ambassador' unit after transferring the games, and don't regret it. Was really sick of dealing with the screen scratching issue...hopefully it's gone for good with this version.

#293 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Traded in my 'ambassador' unit after transferring the games, and don't regret it. Was really sick of dealing with the screen scratching issue...hopefully it's gone for good with this version.

Its not, lots of complaints about screen getting scratched on the 3ds xl on gaf.

#294 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

I'll be getting my screen protectors in the mail tomorrow. Until then I'm using one of the pieces of paper that came in my XL box to prevent scratches. The product registration paper works pretty well, not too thin and not too thick to do any damage.
Posted Image

#295 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hey, guys I wanted to let you know, I got my local best buy to price match gamestop's $100 towards XL with a 3ds trade-in, in case you don't want to support gamestop.
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#296 jbuck138

jbuck138

Wario for President!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

What's everyones opinion on size for carrying around? I generally carry my 3ds in cargo pockets. Sometimes jeans pockets if necessary. I'm assuming it'll still fit fine in cargo pockets? Is it too cumbersome to take with me?

#297 FasterTTW

FasterTTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

What's everyones opinion on size for carrying around? I generally carry my 3ds in cargo pockets. Sometimes jeans pockets if necessary. I'm assuming it'll still fit fine in cargo pockets? Is it too cumbersome to take with me?

Should be no problem for cargo pockets

Its only about an inch wider and half inch taller than the original.

and its a hair thinner

#298 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

I wear for style so my jeans are the slimmer type that will not even pocket the original 3DS without harm. When I do take my 3DS out I use my red pouch I got from Club Nintendo and either carry it around my wrists or store them in a bag and wear the bag on me.
Posted Image

#299 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Got one last night and I love this damn thing. Soooo much more comfortable to hold. I wouldn't say the 3D is "better" as some reviews led me to believe, as the "depth" isn't altered. I'd say it's roughly the same depth effect, but it is more immersive thanks to the larger screen.

Only complaint is the "warmer" (ie, slightly darker) screens made me think at first that the brightness was turned down or it was in power saving mode. It bothers me, but it's not a deal breaker.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#300 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

Got the blue, love the screen, will gift the blue to my significant other as soon as the white, black, or transparent 3ds XL makes an appearance in the US.