3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

603179485.jpg

The system will retail for $199.99 and has a release date of August 19 here in the states.

Ac Adapter and a 4GB SD memory card will be included in the system package.

Red and blue are the only two so far confimred colors.

Link to the article- http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/22/nintendo-reveals-3ds-xl

Hoepfully now, used prices for 3DS start to lower on different websites (AWD:hot:).

Here's a top down view and close picture of the 3DS XL

603181183.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chunlirocks']Not a deal BroKitten[/QUOTE]

ok? Ive seen a good number of threads that were just posted detailing about a new console or something along that lines. I thought I would post this, so people now know that perhaps another price drop for the 3ds is likely to happen.

[quote name='maxrenderer']No second analog stick? Fail.[/QUOTE]

I agree I got a 3ds after the price drop and even back then the second stick was rumored. I returned the 3ds pretty fast and am much happier with a Vita. I might get another one tho. It was pretty fun and if nothing else my kids would enjoy it and I got a r4I card for it too.

[quote name='Flikman24']Curious as to why this wasn't shown at E3. Seems kinda strange to me.[/QUOTE]

true. Nintendo def. needed this, cause their press conference sucked the most and thats saying something, but yesterday Nintendo finally revealed 2 things that everyone was curious about.
Why they didn't just show this at all a e3 in the first place makes no sense.

1. This
2. Super Smash Brothers 4 will be developed by nacmo bandi, but the lead designer is still head of the project.

Im not good at detailing things so here's the article- http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/22/namco-bandai-developing-next-smash-bros

[quote name='Flikman24']Curious as to why this wasn't shown at E3. Seems kinda strange to me.[/QUOTE]

Because it's ugly.

Definitely won't be upgrading.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']But it's a good item to maybe save best buy credit for.[/QUOTE]
Hey anyone with Majin Buu as their avatar may post whatever the fuck he wants IMO. haha. Babidi-buu saga was the best of them all. Eh starting with world tournament actually. saiyaman had its moments some good some lame.

That's one ugly handheld. Hopefully they do a little more redesign with this thing. Thanks op for the info!

[quote name='kygad']Hey anyone with Majin Buu as their avatar may post whatever the fuck he wants IMO. haha. Babidi-buu saga was the best of them all. Eh starting with world tournament actually. saiyaman had its moments some good some lame.[/QUOTE]

Ha someone gets it:applause:. Best season of the entire series in imo. I also just thought of this. Sony loves to slim their handhelds and consoles, while Nintendo likes to XL them.:lol:

It wasn't shown at E3 because it would have detracted from the buzz they wanted the Wii U to get.

Awesome, guess I have no reason to get DSi XL! I've heard people complain about the look of DS games on a 3DS.

Hoping the picture quality of DS games are as good as a DSi XL if not better, on this newer 3DS XL!

Now I have to really decide on which system to get Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward on. The Vita has my digital PS1 and digital PSP games. I have more physical cartridge DS games though.

[quote name='prettycrazy']Because it's ugly.

Definitely won't be upgrading.[/QUOTE]

I agree, It looks like a kids laptop toy to me. I have the orginal one and will be sticking with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Royal High Knight']Ha someone gets it:applause:. Best season of the entire series in imo. I also just thought of this. Sony loves to slim their handhelds and consoles, while Nintendo likes to XL them.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I think it's where the fan base lays. Bigger is better for children/adults of all ages where adolescents/ "hardcore gamers" want something light and portable. Nintendo could release the old brick phone of portables and it would still find a fan base. I don't believe many others could follow. I mean they had what five different games boys Most still grey scale with a different color shell. I had original and years later got a green one for xmas. The only real flop was virtual boy and that's such a minor stain on an otherwise almost flawless record. I bet virtual boy with today's tech and not in only red would be something to take a look at

1) Not a deal, so wrong forum. Not sure why mods let this stuff slide.
2) Nintendo better upgrade the battery from the shifty one that's in the 3DS or this thing will run out of juice in 20 min.

[quote name='AwRy108']1) Not a deal, so wrong forum. Not sure why mods let this stuff slide.
2) Nintendo better upgrade the battery from the shifty one that's in the 3DS or this thing will run out of juice in 20 min.[/QUOTE]

1) Who cares? Ive seen threads like this here in the deals page untouched by mods, but if you really want to report it, knock yourself out
2) If you actually read the article, the battery life is getting increased in the XL, not by much though.

Small satisfaction in knowing that it doesn't include 2nd analog. Shuts up some of the people who insisted they will only get it with the inevitable second stick revision (which is less likely to happen now with this coming out). It does look ugly though, so I'll stick to my Ambassador Cosmo black one.

I don't know why they implemented that second stick add-on only to snub it for the redesign.

Only want a 3DS for SMT V, so I hope they tinker with this design a bit more. It's a bit ugly as is.

If it was a full on redesign you'd have a lot of people pissed off. This? This is an "upgrade" for those who felt the original was too small by making the screens almost twice as big. If you value portability, the original's better. If you value screen size, the XL is what you'd want. Eventually Nyko will release a battery for it too that'll double the time (which, as you'd expect, is higher).

anyone see any SPECS on this..

same size as the DSI XL or bigger.. looks bigger for some reason

Top screen 4.88 bottom 4.18
3ds 3.55 and 3.02

xl 4.2

so the Top screen is going to be alot bigger while the bottom stays the same.... Why are the screens two different sizes...

Well I had no intention of getting a 3DS til they made a bigger screen, and they did it, and I actually like the redesign better than the original, the rounded edges look smooth, and the buttons look nicer plus extra battery life to boot. I'm sold, bring on August!

[quote name='Jon7']It wasn't shown at E3 because it would have detracted from the buzz they wanted the Wii U to get.[/QUOTE]

Because we all know they hit it out of the park with that.:roll:

I'm waiting to see what the battery life looks like. I hear it's pretty bad on the original 3DS, so unless they dramatically improve it here, I will probably sit this one out.

Oh, wonderful. 90% larger screens and superior battery life. So I guess we have until Black Friday to sell our current 3DS if we wanna get this one on sale so we can also afford the Circle Pad Pro.

[quote name='UnlockPotential']Oh, wonderful. 90% larger screens and superior battery life. So I guess we have until Black Friday to sell our current 3DS if we wanna get this one on sale so we can also afford the Circle Pad Pro.[/QUOTE]

At least in NA we are getting a AC adapter...in Europe they get the privileged of buying it separate. :)

umm how can they say 90% larger screens if they were already

3.55 and 3.02

wouldnt that make them close to 6.74 and 5.73

not 4.88 and 4.18

[quote name='slidecage']umm how can they say 90% larger screens if they were already

3.55 and 3.02

wouldnt that make them close to 6.74 and 5.73

not 4.88 and 4.18[/QUOTE]

When you increase the diagonal part of the screen it increases the area more than a 1:1 ratio. I will try to do the math but I am tired. Doubling the diagonal results in an area greater than twice the original.

I believe in a square doubling the diagonal results in an increase of the area by a factor of 4.

I never complained that the screen was too small.

My issues were:

Battery life - solved (somewhat)
Horrible DS emulation - not solved?
2nd analog stick - solved with add on, not solved with the XL

I was an early adopter (ambassador) of both the 3DS and Vita and was bored to tears with both of them originally.

Now I love my 3DS (and returned my Vita).

I would have preferred a redesign (like Phat -> DS Lite), then an XL of that.

I may pick this up eventually via Cowboom or Amazon Market but I'll be happy with my original Cosmo Black for now.

[quote name='kygad']Agreed! I think it's where the fan base lays. Bigger is better for children/adults of all ages where adolescents/ "hardcore gamers" want something light and portable. Nintendo could release the old brick phone of portables and it would still find a fan base. I don't believe many others could follow. I mean they had what five different games boys Most still grey scale with a different color shell. I had original and years later got a green one for xmas. The only real flop was virtual boy and that's such a minor stain on an otherwise almost flawless record. I bet virtual boy with today's tech and not in only red would be something to take a look at[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the Vita? Not exactly a system you can throw in your pocket for gaming on the go. I think Sony releases the XL version up front then tries to make their system more portable. Nintendo releases their portable system up front and then tries to broaden their audience with a bigger model. Case in point Vita has a 5" screen and the 3ds xl will have a 4.88" top screen. Yeah it'll be thicker than the Vita because of the clamshell design, but I'd argue it's still more portable than a Vita because without the clamshell to protect the Vita screen, you'll need to put the Vita in a case.

Every one is different, I classify myself as more a hardcore gamer and I much prefer a larger model. We don't live in an area with public transportation so I'm not one to whip out a game on a bus. I'm more likely to bring my game systems in a back pack or play them at home. Thus being a small to go system isn't important to me. I had the DSi XL and I thought the extra real estate allowed me to be more accurate with the stylus which is more important to me.

I cannot believe that they can make it a little bigger, add a half hour of battery life and expect this to sell.

I don't get you anymore Nintendo.

I like the idea of a bigger screen, but I don't like that it's got a bunch of dead space where a second analog stick should be.

[quote name='ZForce915']I cannot believe that they can make it a little bigger, add a half hour of battery life and expect this to sell.

I don't get you anymore Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Come on Nintendo, I'm begging you to take my money but you don't want it.

Now I know why it wasn't announced at E3.

But then, why do it at all?

Who asked for it?

So... are they going to make a Circle Pad Pro XL? :whistle2:s

I has really hoped they would have added the second analog stick in an XL redesign. I have no interest in rebuying for a bigger screen AND getting circle pad pro to fit it for some games I like to play (RE: Revelations). I'll wait to rebuy one once they get around to adding that extra stick.

bread's done
Back