Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#31 thefinal87

thefinal87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Nah, I'll keep my vanilla cosmo black 3DS, the 3DS XL is fugly.

#32 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

umm how can they say 90% larger screens if they were already

3.55 and 3.02

wouldnt that make them close to 6.74 and 5.73

not 4.88 and 4.18

When you increase the diagonal part of the screen it increases the area more than a 1:1 ratio. I will try to do the math but I am tired. Doubling the diagonal results in an area greater than twice the original.

I believe in a square doubling the diagonal results in an increase of the area by a factor of 4.
Posted Image

#33 Zimmy

Zimmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

I never complained that the screen was too small.

My issues were:

Battery life - solved (somewhat)
Horrible DS emulation - not solved?
2nd analog stick - solved with add on, not solved with the XL

I was an early adopter (ambassador) of both the 3DS and Vita and was bored to tears with both of them originally.

Now I love my 3DS (and returned my Vita).

I would have preferred a redesign (like Phat -> DS Lite), then an XL of that.

I may pick this up eventually via Cowboom or Amazon Market but I'll be happy with my original Cosmo Black for now.
Posted Image

#34 smallsharkbigbite

smallsharkbigbite

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Agreed! I think it's where the fan base lays. Bigger is better for children/adults of all ages where adolescents/ "hardcore gamers" want something light and portable. Nintendo could release the old brick phone of portables and it would still find a fan base. I don't believe many others could follow. I mean they had what five different games boys Most still grey scale with a different color shell. I had original and years later got a green one for xmas. The only real flop was virtual boy and that's such a minor stain on an otherwise almost flawless record. I bet virtual boy with today's tech and not in only red would be something to take a look at

Have you seen the Vita? Not exactly a system you can throw in your pocket for gaming on the go. I think Sony releases the XL version up front then tries to make their system more portable. Nintendo releases their portable system up front and then tries to broaden their audience with a bigger model. Case in point Vita has a 5" screen and the 3ds xl will have a 4.88" top screen. Yeah it'll be thicker than the Vita because of the clamshell design, but I'd argue it's still more portable than a Vita because without the clamshell to protect the Vita screen, you'll need to put the Vita in a case.

Every one is different, I classify myself as more a hardcore gamer and I much prefer a larger model. We don't live in an area with public transportation so I'm not one to whip out a game on a bus. I'm more likely to bring my game systems in a back pack or play them at home. Thus being a small to go system isn't important to me. I had the DSi XL and I thought the extra real estate allowed me to be more accurate with the stylus which is more important to me.

#35 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I cannot believe that they can make it a little bigger, add a half hour of battery life and expect this to sell.

I don't get you anymore Nintendo.
Posted Image

#36 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

I like the idea of a bigger screen, but I don't like that it's got a bunch of dead space where a second analog stick should be.

#37 Zimmy

Zimmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

I cannot believe that they can make it a little bigger, add a half hour of battery life and expect this to sell.

Yep.

Come on Nintendo, I'm begging you to take my money but you don't want it.

Now I know why it wasn't announced at E3.

But then, why do it at all?

Who asked for it?
Posted Image

#38 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

So... are they going to make a Circle Pad Pro XL? :-s

I has really hoped they would have added the second analog stick in an XL redesign. I have no interest in rebuying for a bigger screen AND getting circle pad pro to fit it for some games I like to play (RE: Revelations). I'll wait to rebuy one once they get around to adding that extra stick.

#39 slowpantz

slowpantz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

Very excited for this! Glad to know I shall be getting a 3DS by the end of summer.
Check out a classy show, One man asking a series of woman the hard hitting questions! : letsaskalady.podbean.com
Also on iTunes! Subscribe today.

#40 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

I wonder if the larger screen results in it having a larger 3D sweet spot? If so that would definitely be a plus. Not to mention that I'm sure this is much more comfortable in adult hands. But I'm on a budget. Can't buy one this year. Maybe next year.

Crunchewy.png

#41 TheCollegeGamer

TheCollegeGamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'm not sure what to do. I have wanted to get a 3DS, but $200 seems steep (unless the battery life is unbelievable. One of the major reasons I haven't picked up a 3DS is because the battery life is supposed to be terribad) and this is definitely not the re-design I wanted. Was hoping for something more along the lines of a DS Phat to DS-lite redesign that made the system more functional and easy to store/handle/use. Aside from maybe helping DS games upscale better (which would be cool since I would not have no way to play GBA games or DS games if I sell my DS Lite), it looks like the increased size (was hoping they would re-brand the XL to encompass features and simply make customers think it was a 'bigger, better 3DS experience' rather than a bulkier system that doesn't transport as well like the really ill advised and, in my opinion, useless DS XL) is going to be more of a problem than anything.

With the GBA the SP was easier to transport and was all around better than the GBA classic. Then the Micro happened which was cool, but again kind of useless. With the DS the DS Lite was such an upgrade over the Phat (especially since the library had filled out too) and even the DSi was cool for integrating shops that would become higher functioning on the 3DS, even if the DS XL was larger and didn't really make any sense.

Not sure if I should just buy a 3DS now (perhaps using that GS $50 for a DS Lite trade in for a 3DS/buy a 3DS get a free game and battery pack deal) or just hope a better redesign comes in the future and hold my GS credit either for a Vita or the next gen consoles. Not too pleased with this.

#42 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

This actually doesn't come with an AC adapter. You have to buy it separately or use the one on your old 3DS.

I'm kind of excited about this but I'll wait for reviews to see if it's worth the upgrade. I'd love to have a bigger screen to play eShop games with. But then again, if the eShop games won't even transfer from my current 3DS, this won't be worth it.
Posted Image

#43 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

I hate to be mean but anybody who buys and supports this thing, and I mean ANYBODY, should be shot in the foot (ok maybe not shot, maybe have your toe stepped on). The fact that they released a second stick peripheral fully acknowledges that they need one... The fact that they are going to (at least as of now) release this thing without a second stick is just spitting right in the face of every Nintendo/3DS fan.

Edited by shrike4242, 22 June 2012 - 02:32 PM.

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#44 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

I'd hate to be stuck with a regular 3DS now, lol.

#45 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Well I had no intention of getting a 3DS til they made a bigger screen, and they did it, and I actually like the redesign better than the original, the rounded edges look smooth, and the buttons look nicer plus extra battery life to boot. I'm sold, bring on August!

Same here i like the matte finish.

#46 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Why would anyone want this over the original version?

#47 AZR43L

AZR43L

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

It may be just a half hour of battery life more than the original but the new battery is more than making up for the (exceptionally) larger screens. The top screen is nearly the size of the Vita's and at $200 its really not that bad. If Best Buy delivers a decent trade in bonus, I'd gladly switch out my current 3DS for this one. Though I do admit, it is kinda fugly...

#48 Dranakin

Dranakin

Member Since Oct 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Because it's ugly.

Definitely won't be upgrading.

I don't think it looks too bad, but I can't see myself spending money to upgrade my 3DS, especially since the resolution is the same.

#49 prettycrazy

prettycrazy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

Is everything else the same, though? Still has region protection? And lol at .5 more % battery life.

IMO Nintendo failed hard with the 3DS. The game line-up is still weak, region protection, bad design and marketing decisions, etc.

If I don't get Monster Hunter by the end of the year I'm going to jump off boat.
[] 3DS Friend Code | 3179 - 6076 - 9676 []
Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

This actually doesn't come with an AC adapter. You have to buy it separately or use the one on your old 3DS.

I'm kind of excited about this but I'll wait for reviews to see if it's worth the upgrade. I'd love to have a bigger screen to play eShop games with. But then again, if the eShop games won't even transfer from my current 3DS, this won't be worth it.

No. North America is getting it. It is in Europe that is not.

http://www.guardian....22/nintendo-3ds
Posted Image

#51 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Methinks they're attempting to imitate Apple's business model. Release product, wait a year, release slightly improved product, get people to buy again. Only they're forgetting not enough people bought the original 3DS. Should be releasing more and better games for it, IMO.

I use an ergonomic handheld base for my 3DS, which makes it feel like a console controller. And the screen size is adequate for me. So I'll stick with the original for now.

I wonder, does Nintendo have plans in place for easily transferring content from the 3DS to XL? Or will you have to re-download everything one item at a time?

#52 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Methinks they're attempting to imitate Apple's business model. Release product, wait a year, release slightly improved product, get people to buy again. Only they're forgetting not enough people bought the original 3DS. Should be releasing more and better games for it, IMO.

I use an ergonomic handheld base for my 3DS, which makes it feel like a console controller. And the screen size is adequate for me. So I'll stick with the original for now.

I wonder, does Nintendo have plans in place for easily transferring content from the 3DS to XL? Or will you have to re-download everything one item at a time?

Well, considering you need your previous system to transfer anything to a new one (unless you're lucky enough to get special permission)...I'm not sure how they'll do this. I'm guessing they'll offer a limited window to register your games then re-download them.

233526.png

#53 derrtaysouth95

derrtaysouth95

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Don't plan on upgrading to this new model....that's too large for a handheld anyway.

#54 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

This announcement does nothing to instill confidence in the Wii U. They get a 2nd chance and still cannot get it right?
Posted Image

#55 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Damn, it looks TOO big. That being said, I think I still would have bit if there was a 2nd analog stick. Since there's not, guess I'll stick with the regular 3ds until if/when a 2nd stick model is released. Come on Nintendo, you know you want too...

#56 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

I like the design functionally, but I don't really care for the look. The matte blue and red are kind ugly. Hopefully they make a black version by the time I'm ready to buy, or some other colors that look better.

Crunchewy.png

#57 DealHunter

DealHunter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

In this hobby of ours it is not wise to be an early adopter (PS3 probably being the lone exception). Next year Nintendo will release the 3DSi with a second analog feature.

#58 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

This announcement does nothing to instill confidence in the Wii U. They get a 2nd chance and still cannot get it right?

Exactly. I sold my Wii a while back because I started to lose confidence in Nintendo since they let so much shovelware and shoe-horned motion controls on their system. I was semi-excited with the original announcement of the WiiU (back when it still had a code name...what was it Cafe or something weird like that) but upon learning more about it I'm really not at all. That's DESPITE wanting to be excited for it.

So between that and this announcement, ouch... Sorry Nintendo you've just fallen another wrung on my gaming ladder.

233526.png

#59 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

In this hobby of ours it is not wise to be an early adopter (PS3 probably being the lone exception). Next year Nintendo will release the 3DSi with a second analog feature.

Except for the $600 price tag:cry:
Posted Image

#60 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

when did you buy the Kindle... the warranty was changed on july 2011..

if you got a warranty before july 2011 you can fight it cause it says right on the paper.. if the system breaks a gift card will be issued..

Maybe that's it then I don't know...I do think it was bought after that, so.

233526.png