Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#61 Crimson Mist

Crimson Mist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Oh hell yeah! Time to put my Zelda 3DS on sale so I can get this bad boy. :D

#62 blcklblskt

blcklblskt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'm definitely interested in this. I thought I would hate the DSi XL, but after playing with it, I cannot go back to playing DS games on smaller screens. It's that good.

However, I probably won't buy the 3DS XL simply for the fact that there is no second analogue stick. Unless I could pick one up for really cheap...

#63 doc_j88

doc_j88

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Sold the 3DS and bought a Vita.

So far from the looks of things...great investment.

#64 Japanaman

Japanaman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

No second analog stick? DUMB!!! Imagine how big that thing with be with the Circle Pad Pro XL.

#65 henry00x

henry00x

Chosen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

whats funny to me about this is if this XL model was the first model released everyone would complain about how big it is, but now people want to trade their 3ds for the bigger xl version lol

makes no sense to me

#66 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Damn, it looks TOO big. That being said, I think I still would have bit if there was a 2nd analog stick. Since there's not, guess I'll stick with the regular 3ds until if/when a 2nd stick model is released. Come on Nintendo, you know you want too...

that was exactly my reaction. I wouldve preferred much thinner and only like 50% bigger screen.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#67 fifthof9

fifthof9

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Damn, it looks TOO big.

That's what she said! Oh!

Sorry, had to do it.:applause:

On a serious note, I just got a Vita. I don't have any of the Nintendo handhelds. I need advice from you guys.

Should I just hold onto my Vita (love the sticks, screen, etc) and/or invest in a used DSi XL/3DS/new 3DS XL? I wold love to play some of the recommended DS games. (I don't care for 3D because I never used it)

P.S. I have big hands and love the bigger screens. I play my handhelds at home or on vacation. Plus, I'm cheap so I may end up looking for a DSi XL.

I welcome any thoughts. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

308762.png

#68 Ather

Ather

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

So, first they over charge the original, then drop the price, now make an unweildly giant version. This should have been the 3DS released, and at this price. Plus, with this and gamepad controller, it seems Nintendo wants in on the tablet market.

Well, too rich for my blood (especially considering Wii U). Maybe if they hadn't charged $250 for the first one, or released the first one.

Funny, Nintendo tweeted about this, yet never replied when I asked why they didn't just release this first. :P

#69 Ather

Ather

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

@jimmayhorn if you really want a Nintendo handheld, go for the 3DS. Might as well get the latest version. If price is a concern, look for used. If not, go for the 3DSXL. Again, might as well go for latest. That's why i got a 3DS. Had the original DS, and needed an upgrade. Might as well get the latest.

#70 pjgamer007

pjgamer007

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

That's what she said! Oh!

Sorry, had to do it.:applause:

On a serious note, I just got a Vita. I don't have any of the Nintendo handhelds. I need advice from you guys.

Should I just hold onto my Vita (love the sticks, screen, etc) and/or invest in a used DSi XL/3DS/new 3DS XL? I wold love to play some of the recommended DS games. (I don't care for 3D because I never used it)

P.S. I have big hands and love the bigger screens. I play my handhelds at home or on vacation. Plus, I'm cheap so I may end up looking for a DSi XL.

I welcome any thoughts. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

I currently have a DSi XL and love it.

I have resisted getting a 3DS so far, but I may have to cave and get the 3DS XL. If it had the second stick and they had gotten rid of the sliders (I like the volume control on the DSi XL), there would be no question of me getting it. Right now, I'm just not sure...

#71 Ragnorok64

Ragnorok64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

If this system has the buttons configured in such a way that I can play through a whole circuit in Mario Kart without my hand's feeling like they've been abused, I'll buy it.

#72 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Just got off the phone with Gamestop. Regarding the possibility of a Trade-up promo, the guy told me he can't imagine there not being one. He just couldn't confirm because Nintendo hasn't allowed retailers to list it for pre-order yet.
Posted Image

#73 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

If this system has the buttons configured in such a way that I can play through a whole circuit in Mario Kart without my hand's feeling like they've been abused, I'll buy it.

Came to say this. I liked the 3DS but got rid of it after a couple of months because it was just too small and uncomfortable. I'll pick this up if they bundle it with Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion for $199 on Black Friday.
\\:D/

#74 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Came to say this. I liked the 3DS but got rid of it after a couple of months because it was just too small and uncomfortable. I'll pick this up if they bundle it with Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion for $199 on Black Friday.

You know good and well that the Holiday Bundle will be NSMB2.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#75 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Why would anyone want this over the original version?

Once I got the DSi LL I never looked back at the DSi. I ended up picking a second LL so I could play one while the other charged. It's just that good. Folks who got used to the LL had a very hard time playing with the O.G. 3DS and it's a big part of the reason I got rid of mine.

I only play my handhelds at home or friends' places so portability is not an issue.

In this hobby of ours it is not wise to be an early adopter (PS3 probably being the lone exception). Next year Nintendo will release the 3DSi with a second analog feature.

No chance. If Nintendo isn't willing to fracture the user base on the second revision they're not going to do it at all.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#76 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

I don't know...the system design looks pretty ugly and I already have a 3DS. I wasn't crazy about the DSi XL mainly because they never up the resolution on these bigger screens. I guess it wouldn't matter as much if I didn't have a VITA where everything looks great on it. I'm wondering if the new screen would be any brighter as the current 3DS is fairly dim. No docking cradle kind of sucks as well...one feature I really love about the current 3DS. This just screams meh to me.

Edit: Why don't we get the white or silver?

Edited by jkam, 22 June 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#77 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

No chance. If Nintendo isn't willing to fracture the user base on the second revision they're not going to do it at all.

Exactly, this is a message that the second analog games will be more or less done after Kingdom Hearts. Going forward you will see very, very few games support the circle pad pro.

#78 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Oh cool! Just noticed that this will be released a few days right before Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Awesome.

Going to be a tough decision:
Vita Wi-Fi $250
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward $40
Memory Stick 4GB $20
Total: ~$310 plus tax
Already have more than a handful of PS1/PSP/Minis games.

3DS XL $200
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward $40
SD card 1GB $10 (Not sure if the 3DS even uses a memory card since I don't have one.)
Total: ~$250 plus tax
Already have more than a handful of DS games.

#79 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Strike the SD card from that list. The 3DS XL includes a 4GB SD card in the package.

#80 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

I know it's been said over and over but I also can't fathom why they would not include the second analog stick on this design...

Are we going to see a "Circle Pad Pro XL"?

Are they going to scrap the whole dual analog stick support?

I really see no reason to get this. The bigger screen would be nice but it's not a deal killer for me and I'm fine playing on my slight smaller original 3DS screen.

#81 smallsharkbigbite

smallsharkbigbite

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

umm how can they say 90% larger screens if they were already

3.55 and 3.02

wouldnt that make them close to 6.74 and 5.73

not 4.88 and 4.18

It's about the screen area. The top screen is 16:9 and the bottom screen is 4:3 ratio. The 3.55/3.02 to 4.88/4.18 describes the diagonal distance of the screen. We'll just look at the top screen. The 3.55 diagonal means that means the screen is about 3.1 inches wide and 1.74 inches tall for an area of about 12.6 square inches. The redesign is 4.88 diagonal, or about 4.25 inches wide and 2.4 inches tall. This leads to an area of 23.8 inches of viewable space. I came to about 89% larger screen but I don't have the exact specifications, either way it's alot bigger.

#82 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

I might jump on this. I wanted the 3DS for the longest but the screens were too small and there were not enough games for me to get on board. I just got a DSI XL and love it. I'll wait and check out some reviews and/or a good holiday bundle before getting one. I feel the same about a Vita too, it's just $250 is too much for me. I soooo want to play Gravity Rush and Persona 4.:drool:

#83 ck76

ck76

Winter is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Getting a 3DS in 2012 just went from "meh...maybe..." to "highly likely, especially if they bundle Mario with one this holiday season!"

So, from my perspective, well done Nintendo.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#84 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Agreed! :applause::bow:

#85 fifthof9

fifthof9

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

@Ather I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately I am not one to jump at the newest thing. I know I have a Vita but I traded for it. You're right, might as well shop 3DS's on Craigslist. I found some for as low as $85. (saw the DSi XL for $60)

I currently have a DSi XL and love it.

I have resisted getting a 3DS so far, but I may have to cave and get the 3DS XL. If it had the second stick and they had gotten rid of the sliders (I like the volume control on the DSi XL), there would be no question of me getting it. Right now, I'm just not sure...

Yeah, I've been eye-balling the XL. Of course if all games work on the 3DS and I can find it cheap enough then that's a good way to go. Hmm. Decisions, decisions. Like I said above, I usually am not an early adapter.

Edited by jimmayhorn, 22 June 2012 - 06:36 PM.
price correction

308762.png

#86 fifthof9

fifthof9

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

I might jump on this. I wanted the 3DS for the longest but the screens were too small and there were not enough games for me to get on board. I just got a DSI XL and love it. I'll wait and check out some reviews and/or a good holiday bundle before getting one. I feel the same about a Vita too, it's just $250 is too much for me. I soooo want to play Gravity Rush and Persona 4.:drool:

Was in BB the other day and played Gravity Rush on their display model. It was sweet. Great game. I could see maybe paying full price for that one. The controls were weird (think 3D space) but very neat. I got used to them after the demo.:applause:

308762.png

#87 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

After getting a DSi XL, the difference in size would be well worth getting a 3DSXL. Unfortunately, there's a couple of obvious problems that might still keep me from getting one.

For starters, I (like many of you) am an Ambassador on the 3DS. Although I would assume that they will give people the ability to transfer everything over, I'm not sure if that would work with the ambassador status as well. Either way, as somebody already mentioned, I would need to have both my 3DS and my 3DSXL in order to do a transfer of things like Pushmo (XL Pushmo? :bouncy:) which would kill any possibility of using "trade up" programs.

The second thing is that I've already put forth a decent amount of effort to address all the issues that I had with the 3DS; Circle Pad Pro, Nyko Power Grip, cases etc. I don't want to have to go and get XL versions of these things all over again.

#88 jello44

jello44

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

No. North America is getting it. It is in Europe that is not.

http://www.guardian....22/nintendo-3ds

Japan isn't either.

Can you imagine the bitch fest that would happen in America if they didn't release it with one? Not that I wouldn't agree with people about it, it's still stupid as hell to not include it with one. What about those who DON'T have a 3DS and want the XL one because the screen was too small for them? Oh, it's OK, just shell out an additional 20-30 dollars for it. Bullshit.

#89 fifthof9

fifthof9

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

After getting a DSi XL, the difference in size would be well worth getting a 3DSXL. Unfortunately, there's a couple of obvious problems that might still keep me from getting one.

For starters, I (like many of you) am an Ambassador on the 3DS. Although I would assume that they will give people the ability to transfer everything over, I'm not sure if that would work with the ambassador status as well. Either way, as somebody already mentioned, I would need to have both my 3DS and my 3DSXL in order to do a transfer of things like Pushmo (XL Pushmo? :bouncy:) which would kill any possibility of using "trade up" programs.

The second thing is that I've already put forth a decent amount of effort to address all the issues that I had with the 3DS; Circle Pad Pro, Nyko Power Grip, cases etc. I don't want to have to go and get XL versions of these things all over again.

For future reference, would love to know what case you use. I appreciate you listing your accessories. I'm the kind of person that uses accessories to improve my gaming experience. I like practical stuff. Plus, I have large hands so anything to help that. I was looking into the grips for my Vita.

308762.png

#90 KirbyLovesTacos

KirbyLovesTacos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Perfect timing for me. I always dismissed the 3DS as a legit gaming device because of the super small screen. I'll pick it up along with New Mario and Kingdom Hearts. Hopefully Gamestop has a decent trade in deal for the original 3DS.