Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#121 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

A new circle pad would've caused the entire OS to be re-written to support a 2nd pad, and that older games (RE:R) would automatically act like the CPP was there. That's probably why you're not seeing it...yet anyways.

I imagine a 3DS lite (something to cross between the current model and the XL) will have a 2nd pad, as well as a new interface that supports the NiN account system. But that's just a guess.

But until I see a better color scheme I have plenty of 3DS goodness to look forward to this year: Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2, Theatrhythm, NSMB2, Epic Mickey and of course Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 (for my DS).
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#122 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:19 AM

Agreed. Leaving out the 2nd analog pad is a huge mistake. Are they waiting to release a 3DSXLi with an additional analog pad later? Makes no sense at all to not include this in the revision.

Seriously, if it included that, I would even consider buying one; overall the XL looks to be much improved from the crappy original 3DS model. But not including the 2nd analog is just a huge blunder; it curtails the entire life of the system.

Come on let's be honest. There was no chance you were gonna buy this. If they'd have included a second analog stick, you'd have complained about something else.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#123 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:47 AM

With the way things are looking I wonder if they will discontinue support for the CPP eventually, or just make it very, very optional or very few games might use it, maybe 1 game a year. Nintendo has a history of making peripherals where only 1-2 games use it.

I also wonder if they will release a new version for the 3DSXL model, which would make it incredibly large. If they don't then we can probably safely say support is dead or almost dead for it. If they were going to fully support it, I assume it would have been included in the new system, with owners of the regular 3DS having the option to purchase the pad separate as they do now so the user base doesn't get segregated.

#124 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:55 AM

With the way things are looking I wonder if they will discontinue support for the CPP eventually, or just make it very, very optional or very few games might use it, maybe 1 game a year. Nintendo has a history of making peripherals where only 1-2 games use it.

I also wonder if they will release a new version for the 3DSXL model, which would make it incredibly large. If they don't then we can probably safely say support is dead or almost dead for it. If they were going to fully support it, I assume it would have been included in the new system, with owners of the regular 3DS having the option to purchase the pad separate as they do now so the user base doesn't get segregated.

No way Nintendo WON'T release a CPP-XL. Monster Hunter sold a lot of 3DSs, and I don't think they'd be that dense and not realize the potential there.

#125 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Come on let's be honest. There was no chance you were gonna buy this. If they'd have included a second analog stick, you'd have complained about something else.

I'm gonna agree with this. There has been straight up nitpicking backlash from the community, and I don't get it. There is always a critic no matter what you do, you can't please everyone.

"If I asked my customers what they want, they simply would have said a faster horse."

-Henry Ford.

#126 thisboywillbreak

thisboywillbreak

it's never been easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

Can't wait to see some old games stretched out on that big screen.
Posted Image

#127 Cap'n_RDM

Cap'n_RDM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:07 AM

The DSi XL is the best DS system. It's big and sexy and awesome.

I agree with you there but you can't dispute that there is some give and take with a larger screen at the same resolution.
Now Playing:
:ps3: Mortal Kombat
:wii: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
:psp: The 3rd Birthday
:ds: Pokemon Black

#128 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

DS games on the XL looked so much better at that bigger size. Plus you could hold it farther away.

I thought most 3D games looked worse. You could tell that the games were not designed with pixels that big in mind.

#129 RoMee

RoMee

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

So what games are you avoiding now because it doesn't have a second analog stick? Seems like if it's collecting dust nothing would make a new one a "day one" purchase.

I'll translate for the Nintendo fanboys.

My 3DS is just collecting dust. If Nintendo want me to upgrade, it'll take more than just a bigger screen.
A second circle pad would had been enough for me to upgrade.

#130 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

man i dont know to either buy a new DSI XL or a 3ds xl

130 to 200....

with only like 3 3ds games i would even want to attempt to play i think i wait for a deal

tales of abyss , the new FF game coming july 4 and the heroes of ruin game are about the only things i even want.. and already own a used 3ds i could play them on.

maybe around xmas it be nice to see

3ds Xl with 50 buck gift card... I would be all over that

now to wait for a good DSI XL DEAL what would push it under 100
WOOOO I STINK

#131 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

A new circle pad would've caused the entire OS to be re-written to support a 2nd pad, and that older games (RE:R) would automatically act like the CPP was there. That's probably why you're not seeing it...yet anyways.

You sound pretty confident about something that sounds like straight bullshit.

I would think the OS supports that input whether it's built-in or add-on (CPP). But let's assume that this OS is limited for some reason in that way. As OS revisions go (at least in the ones I'm familiar with), it's usually not a big deal to revise to support a given device/input. Especially if the device is supported in a previous version.

There may be a legitimate reason why a second pad wasn't included, but the OS limitations dog don't hunt. I'm guessing that the legit reason is that Nintendo wanted to hold back a potential upgrade for a newer 3DS version a year or so down the road. The Apple analogy isn't on the nose, but it's close enough: the expectation is that people will own more than one DS/3DS. You gotta hold back a goodie so people will want to buy the next model.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#132 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

A second stick would not require an OS rewrite. At all. It would take a few lines of code at most to make it work. The games that support it would also need to be patched but it's something a junior coder could handle.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#133 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

umm how can they say 90% larger screens if they were already

3.55 and 3.02

wouldnt that make them close to 6.74 and 5.73

not 4.88 and 4.18

area

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#134 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:26 AM

You sound pretty confident about something that sounds like straight bullshit.

I would think the OS supports that input whether it's built-in or add-on (CPP). But let's assume that this OS is limited for some reason in that way. As OS revisions go (at least in the ones I'm familiar with), it's usually not a big deal to revise to support a given device/input. Especially if the device is supported in a previous version.

There may be a legitimate reason why a second pad wasn't included, but the OS limitations dog don't hunt. I'm guessing that the legit reason is that Nintendo wanted to hold back a potential upgrade for a newer 3DS version a year or so down the road. The Apple analogy isn't on the nose, but it's close enough: the expectation is that people will own more than one DS/3DS. You gotta hold back a goodie so people will want to buy the next model.

well, I mean that it'd basically have to be built like the CPP is there all the time, which is something the OS doesn't do at the moment.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#135 exceed19

exceed19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

What will happen to all my downloaded games for my 3ds if I buy the 3dsXL. I have around $120 worth of stuff on my handheld. Would nintendo "unlock" the games and put them on my new handheld if I sent it to them to do?

I would hate to be out of a 3ds for 2-3 week though. I have a vita, but my 3ds gets all my "work" lunchbreaks, 5 days a week.

Oh, and your front butt is showing lol :)

#136 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

You have to transfer them from one system to another. It's just how it is.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#137 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Two French sites posted some previews of the XL:
Site 1 (Summary/Google Translation)

From Google translate:

Huge screen
Better viewing angle
3D effect looks better/more effective/more natural
2D mode looks better than regular 3DS
Image looks better/softer (they assume there might be some filter but not sure)
The grip (round corners) fit nicely
Unit fits better in hands (they wonder if it should've been the main design in first place)
Unit is lighter than they expected
There's a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look
Not sure at the sound as the room was quite noisy

Site 2 - Summary

- the screen looks good, very good
- while the image looked worse on a DSiXL than on a DSi, it's not the case here. 3DSXL pixels look as defined as on 3DS.
- the screen seems very luminous
- 3D effect is more comfortable and more immediate
- the analog stick is more convenient to use, no need to bend your thumb anymore

#138 vherub

vherub

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Personally was hoping for a 3ds lite model, focused on ultra-high battery life, and standardizing a 2nd stick, as well as a more aggressive price point.

#139 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

nice screens...only thing now is I'm hoping the button layout is more comfortable to use.

#140 Achilles00

Achilles00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:48 AM

You know, I am pleased with the announcement. The system looks similar to the original, has better battery (even if only minimally), and is bigger. For the way I use it, that's perfect. My main complaint, however, is that the 3D sweet spot is too limited. In any game that has action (Mario Land, Revelations, for example), I usually have the 3D off because everything becomes blurry as I move a bit.

Was pleased to hear about the 20th Anniversary Kirby coming to Wii, though. Seems like a nice collection of games.
Posted Image

#141 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Achilles, the 3D effect is apparently improved with the new model. You will get your wish.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#142 Jacoblee23

Jacoblee23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

So I just bought a 3ds at best buy two weeks ago on my best buy credit card. Since I am within the 30 day return period, could I return my 3ds and get a refund so I can buy a 3ds xl? And do you think the xl is worth the upgrade?

#143 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

So I just bought a 3ds at best buy two weeks ago on my best buy credit card. Since I am within the 30 day return period, could I return my 3ds and get a refund so I can buy a 3ds xl? And do you think the xl is worth the upgrade?

call best buy.
1-888-237-8289

the XL looks pretty stunning and yeah, i think it's worth the upgrade.

#144 Jacoblee23

Jacoblee23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

call best buy.
1-888-237-8289

the XL looks pretty stunning and yeah, i think it's worth the upgrade.

I called them. They said I can get my money back no problem. The problem is though is I don't know what I done with my action replay cards. Ugh. Would I get denied taking it back without them? Lol not sure where the instruction manual is either, but I am sure I can find both if I need to.

#145 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

I called them. They said I can get my money back no problem. The problem is though is I don't know what I done with my action replay cards. Ugh. Would I get denied taking it back without them? Lol not sure where the instruction manual is either, but I am sure I can find both if I need to.

to avoid a potential restocking fee...i'd find them. ymmv.

#146 Chris in Cali

Chris in Cali

Mr. Negativity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

When is Amazon gonna put this bad boy up for pre-order?

#147 H4Y4TO

H4Y4TO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

I will probably pick it up but I will wait for a special edition or a price drop...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#148 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hmm... I may finally buy a 3DS when this releases... decisions, decisions.

#149 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

I will probably pick it up but I will wait for a special edition or a price drop...

This.

The Zelda cosmo black 3DS last year was gorgeous. Can only hope for a spiffy version of the 3DS XL to win me over.
End of line.

#150 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:21 AM

When is Amazon gonna put this bad boy up for pre-order?

I'm beginning to think they won't. They never ended up selling the Midnight Purple 3DS, and they've stopped carrying 3DSs altogether for god knows how long now.
Posted Image