Photo
- - - - -

The History of Sonic the Hedgehog [Artbook] - $31.24 (OUT NOW)

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#31 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:23 AM

Does the quality of the book degrade as it gets closer to page 300 ... crumbling into nothingness by the end?

#32 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

They will show the first 3 games on the first ten pages, then the other 290 pages will be pictures of a piece of shit repeated over and over.

Edit: before any huge sonic fans try to bash me over this post, it was a joke.

If you really don't want to be bashed enough that you are going to put a disclaimer after your "joke," then it would be better to, you know... not make the joke.

I have this gut feeling that rest of this thread is just going to consist of haters looking for ways to make them feel good.

So... screw all of them, I'm excited. :D

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#33 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

Ha ha people are funny. There's a reason why Sonic has endured past all of the Bubsies of the platforming world

#34 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

Ha ha people are funny. There's a reason why Sonic has endured past all of the Bubsies of the platforming world

Well spoken. yes, there have been some bad games, the great far outweigh the bad.

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#35 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:40 AM

At first I read the title and thought that maybe Sega was releasing some awesome, giant collection of most of Sonic's games and rereleasing them for the 360/PS3. Way to get my hopes up, jerks!

#36 SEGAMew

SEGAMew

Sonic Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

Right around my price range, thanks :D

#37 meatwad3000

meatwad3000

The Mauve Avenger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for mentioning this deal OP, I had a couple of friends decide to bite on this. Me being impatient I decided to import the french version off of pixn love's website instead. Cost me about $46 after S&H though so this is a pretty good deal.

#38 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Technically, this isn't by Udon. It's the English version of a French book made by Pix'N Love. Udon seems to just be the publisher for the US version.

By the way, here's a review of the book that pretty much mentions what it contains and has some preview pictures of what's inside.

Thanks. I love Sonic but wasn't going to consider this without seeing a review first.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#39 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Meehh Id rather have the comic books or even build my sonic game collection more. I'm just not a fan of paying for art books.

Its nice but I don't think it makes you any bigger of a fan when you get this book and you only own 1-2 sonic video games.

needler420.png

#40 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'd consider this for the info on obscure titles. Just hope it primarily focuses on Sonic and doesn't devote too much attention to his lame friends.

#41 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

awesome, thanks op. I want this now though :(

#42 district_9000

district_9000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thanks OP! This slipped under my radar and I love Udon books. FYI for anyone that hasn't pre-ordered a Udon art book, there is a very good chance this will get pushed back to the end of the year or early next year as almost everything I have pre-ordered by Udon gets pushed back by 4-6 months. Just a heads up if someone is getting this for a gift for someone else.

you called it.

I received a email from amazon saying the book was pushed back to "January 14, 2013 - January 18, 2013". Already waited a couple months, whats a couple more..

#43 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Yeah, not sure what's going on with this delay. Udon's site still has it up for Sept. 1/2 tempted to e-mail them and ask them for confirmation.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 Diggeh

Diggeh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the update guys. I expected as much from an UDON-published book. It might have been released by now had Pix'n Love published it themselves. Wonder why they asked UDON to handle it?

#45 thefunkyredcaboose

thefunkyredcaboose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

you called it.

I received a email from amazon saying the book was pushed back to "January 14, 2013 - January 18, 2013". Already waited a couple months, whats a couple more..

I had pre-ordered this with Amazon credit... and now I spent the credit. Hopefully I have that 30 bones in January! :D

#46 Smashbro29

Smashbro29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

So it's really delayed then? Poo. Oh well, at the very least if the price goes up or down or whatever I get the lowest one available.

The Comfort Zone

Live/Recorded

#47 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

I was hoping someone would get this for me for Christmas, but it looks like I'll be buying it myself now. Well, no biggie :-P
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#48 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Got a response from Udon with a link for a blog post on their site explaining the situation. There's also a new 12-page preview as well.

Simply put, yeah, it got delayed, BUT it should be out in Dec before Xmas (2nd or 3rd week of the month, they said). Reason for the delay was because the English translation was a bit stiff, so they went back & re-translated every page to make the overall quality better.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

I can't believe there's a market for expensive video game artbooks. Don't me wrong, I love full color video game history books and have a few. But $30+ for books on one game or series? Nice to know about, but I don't think this belongs in the deal forum. We need a Luxury Ass Gamer forum.

#50 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

So are they confirming a December release date on this?

This is going to be a great stocking stuffer for my GF if it is (she loves artbooks and she loves sonic like I do).
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#51 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

@ElecktroDragon: It's suppose to retail for $50. Saving $20 by pre-ordering is a good deal, I think. Not to mention this is 300+ pages of history (including the cancelled games), not just art. I do understand finding it hard to spend $30+ on a artbook just under 200 pages, though. I got the MvC one for about $8 after getting Amazon credit. It's nice, but I certainly wouldn't have spent the MSRP of $45, let alone $100 for the hardcover exclusive at Comic-Con.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 thefunkyredcaboose

thefunkyredcaboose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Anyone get a copy yet? It appears to be out though Amazon says mine won't be shipping until the 10th.

#53 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

What's with all these little books that have been released lately?

I guess people found a way to profit big off of gamer OCD in a new way. I'm surprised it took this long to think of an idea like this. These books probably cost 20 cents to make per.

#54 thefunkyredcaboose

thefunkyredcaboose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

I guess people found a way to profit big off of gamer OCD in a new way. I'm surprised it took this long to think of an idea like this. These books probably cost 20 cents to make per.

I'm not an expert but I'm certain it costs more than 20 cents to print a 300 page hardcover book.

#55 GaveUpTomorrow

GaveUpTomorrow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Anyone get a copy yet? It appears to be out though Amazon says mine won't be shipping until the 10th.

Yes, I received mine yesterday. The book is well put together and is loaded with text and pictures. It will take quite some time for me to get through the whole thing.

#56 gatordeve86

gatordeve86

CAG Master

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

my son would kill for this... only way it would be better is if it were Lego Sonic lol

#57 EdgeCrusher36

EdgeCrusher36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hi troll, nice to see you.

And yes, it doesn't take 20 cents to print a book like this, and believe it or not, fans of certain things like having art and history to look through, and also to collect. I myself have a whole bookcase full of art books and such just for games.

#58 breakingcustoms

breakingcustoms

Rule The Air

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

got mine...very pleased with it

596772.png

#59 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Inebrious Infinitus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Sounds cool, but half the book might end up to be fairly depressing. Love Sonic, but I just can't pull the trig on this one.

#60 thefunkyredcaboose

thefunkyredcaboose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Apparently they are backordered now. Hopefully it actually shows up in Jan.