The History of Sonic the Hedgehog [Artbook] - $31.24 (OUT NOW)

Diggeh

CAG Newbie

Authors: Marc Petronille, William Audureau (Pix'n Love)
Hardcover: 300 pages
Publisher: Udon Entertainment (January 1, 2012)

[quote name='Book Description']Celebrating over 20 years as SEGA's official mascot, The History of Sonic the Hedgehog is the ultimate guide to SEGA's spiky blue speedster! This hefty 300-page hardcover volume covers in detail every 2D and 3D Sonic game, plus spinoffs and crossovers. You'll also find character profiles, promotional artwork, rare concept art, and a detailed look at the origins of the "Blue Blur".[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks op. I really dig these kinds of books. Bummed that I missed the Megaman X book that's like $80+ now.

[quote name='IzzyF3']Thanks op. I really dig these kinds of books. Bummed that I missed the Megaman X book that's like $80+ now.[/QUOTE]
They're being reprinted dunno when. The classic series/zero series and okami book have been reprited already and are back down to $20

I thought the part "Celebrating over 20 years as SEGA's official mascot" was kinda funny... because you know, Sonic sucked for most of those years and there really isn't much of celebrate.

*Puts on flame retardant suit.*

wow, since when does udon print hardcovers? took them long enough. i'll start buying their books in the future as long as this continues.

[quote name='Vinny']I thought the part "Celebrating over 20 years as SEGA's official mascot" was kinda funny... because you know, Sonic sucked for most of those years and there really isn't much of celebrate.

*Puts on flame retardant suit.*[/QUOTE]

Last I heard, Sonic the Hedgehog PS3/360 came out in 2006. "Most" you say?

they did a hardcover of the darksiders artbook as well, except that one was major spensive.

[quote name='PublikDefender']wow, since when does udon print hardcovers? took them long enough. i'll start buying their books in the future as long as this continues.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the cliffnotes version
Sonic 1 ---- BLAST PROCESSING!!!!!!
Sonic 2 awesome even if sonic did get some tail
Sonic 3 good but he looked funny
Lockon tech
Sonic CD Awesome again
Suck
Suck
Suck
Suck
Some good gba games
Suck
Suck
Suck
A kart game, some tennis and a gold from the olympics
Suck
Suck
Suck
Sonic generations decent

I have now saved 30 dollars

Thanks OP! This slipped under my radar and I love Udon books. FYI for anyone that hasn't pre-ordered a Udon art book, there is a very good chance this will get pushed back to the end of the year or early next year as almost everything I have pre-ordered by Udon gets pushed back by 4-6 months. Just a heads up if someone is getting this for a gift for someone else.

[quote name='PublikDefender']wow, since when does udon print hardcovers? took them long enough. i'll start buying their books in the future as long as this continues.[/QUOTE]Technically, this isn't by Udon. It's the English version of a French book made by Pix'N Love. Udon seems to just be the publisher for the US version.

By the way, here's a review of the book that pretty much mentions what it contains and has some preview pictures of what's inside.

I pre-ordered last night since I might as well take advantage of it being on sale from $45/$50, especially since $32 is a good deal for a 300 pg. history/art book.

[quote name='Zonic505']Technically, this isn't by Udon. It's the English version of a French book made by Pix'N Love. Udon seems to just be the publisher for the US version.

By the way, here's a review of the book that pretty much mentions what it contains and has some preview pictures of what's inside.

I pre-ordered last night since I might as well take advantage of it being on sale from $45/$50, especially since $32 is a good deal for a 300 pg. history/art book.[/QUOTE]

Yup, unless it is a tribute art book, a handbook or comics, Udon books are mostly translations or collections of Japanese (in this case French) art books

[quote name='Vinny']I thought the part "Celebrating over 20 years as SEGA's official mascot" was kinda funny... because you know, Sonic sucked for most of those years and there really isn't much of celebrate.

*Puts on flame retardant suit.*[/QUOTE]
[quote name='z3razerviper']Here is the cliffnotes version
Sonic 1 ---- BLAST PROCESSING!!!!!!
Sonic 2 awesome even if sonic did get some tail
Sonic 3 good but he looked funny
Lockon tech
Sonic CD Awesome again
Suck
BLAH BLAH BLAH STFU

I have now saved 30 dollars[/QUOTE]

halolz-dot-com-sonic4-hatersgonnahate.gif

Anyway... will definitely be buying this. Been a huge Sonic fan through the good times and the bad, and STILL a fan. No fair-weather here. :D

[quote name='Nohbdy']Last I heard, Sonic the Hedgehog PS3/360 came out in 2006. "Most" you say?[/QUOTE]
You're just proving his point since that game sucked.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']
halolz-dot-com-sonic4-hatersgonnahate.gif

Anyway... will definitely be buying this. Been a huge Sonic fan through the good times and the bad, and STILL a fan. No fair-weather here. :D[/QUOTE]

Dont read my post the wrong way i have supported sonic thru thick and thin but some times sega made it really......really hard ;D

They will show the first 3 games on the first ten pages, then the other 290 pages will be pictures of a piece of shit repeated over and over.

Edit: before any huge sonic fans try to bash me over this post, it was a joke.

[quote name='Xtrminatr']They will show the first 3 games on the first ten pages, then the other 290 pages will be pictures of a piece of shit repeated over and over.

Edit: before any huge sonic fans try to bash me over this post, it was a joke.[/QUOTE]

If you really don't want to be bashed enough that you are going to put a disclaimer after your "joke," then it would be better to, you know... not make the joke.

I have this gut feeling that rest of this thread is just going to consist of haters looking for ways to make them feel good.

So... screw all of them, I'm excited. :D

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Ha ha people are funny. There's a reason why Sonic has endured past all of the Bubsies of the platforming world[/QUOTE]

Well spoken. yes, there have been some bad games, the great far outweigh the bad.

At first I read the title and thought that maybe Sega was releasing some awesome, giant collection of most of Sonic's games and rereleasing them for the 360/PS3. Way to get my hopes up, jerks!

Thanks for mentioning this deal OP, I had a couple of friends decide to bite on this. Me being impatient I decided to import the french version off of pixn love's website instead. Cost me about $46 after S&H though so this is a pretty good deal.

[quote name='Zonic505']Technically, this isn't by Udon. It's the English version of a French book made by Pix'N Love. Udon seems to just be the publisher for the US version.

By the way, here's a review of the book that pretty much mentions what it contains and has some preview pictures of what's inside.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I love Sonic but wasn't going to consider this without seeing a review first.

Meehh Id rather have the comic books or even build my sonic game collection more. I'm just not a fan of paying for art books.

Its nice but I don't think it makes you any bigger of a fan when you get this book and you only own 1-2 sonic video games.

I'd consider this for the info on obscure titles. Just hope it primarily focuses on Sonic and doesn't devote too much attention to his lame friends.

[quote name='Wompdevil']Thanks OP! This slipped under my radar and I love Udon books. FYI for anyone that hasn't pre-ordered a Udon art book, there is a very good chance this will get pushed back to the end of the year or early next year as almost everything I have pre-ordered by Udon gets pushed back by 4-6 months. Just a heads up if someone is getting this for a gift for someone else.[/QUOTE]

you called it.

I received a email from amazon saying the book was pushed back to "January 14, 2013 - January 18, 2013". Already waited a couple months, whats a couple more..

Yeah, not sure what's going on with this delay. Udon's site still has it up for Sept. 1/2 tempted to e-mail them and ask them for confirmation.

Thanks for the update guys. I expected as much from an UDON-published book. It might have been released by now had Pix'n Love published it themselves. Wonder why they asked UDON to handle it?

[quote name='district_9000']you called it.

I received a email from amazon saying the book was pushed back to "January 14, 2013 - January 18, 2013". Already waited a couple months, whats a couple more..[/QUOTE]

I had pre-ordered this with Amazon credit... and now I spent the credit. Hopefully I have that 30 bones in January! :D

Got a response from Udon with a link for a blog post on their site explaining the situation. There's also a new 12-page preview as well.

Simply put, yeah, it got delayed, BUT it should be out in Dec before Xmas (2nd or 3rd week of the month, they said). Reason for the delay was because the English translation was a bit stiff, so they went back & re-translated every page to make the overall quality better.

I can't believe there's a market for expensive video game artbooks. Don't me wrong, I love full color video game history books and have a few. But $30+ for books on one game or series? Nice to know about, but I don't think this belongs in the deal forum. We need a Luxury Ass Gamer forum.

bread's done
Back