Photo
- - - - -

Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

• Please log in to reply
902 replies to this topic

#871 200STM

200STM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

I found the $19.99 PS3 3D glasses thanks! I am enjoying my display so far its been working fine for about 3 months I must have gotten a good unit. Um I hope that you all have the same luck as me and enjoy this monitor... this is my first step into 3d gaming and so far I am enjoying it but its just a little extra and wow to any game so far Halo Anniversary and super stardust are the most notable of the 3d effect.

#872 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Ok, I think I've gotten my first hint of a problem with the display. It turned black for a second while playing a movie. If this starts happening more frequently, I suspect I'll have to get Sony to fix it. Is anyone familiar with what I would need to do in that case?

#873 milehighshooter

milehighshooter

MASTER PRESTIGE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

pick up the display two weeks ago but i think im going to return it and re-buy on black friday the tv looks good but i dont like the glare and the size even for my room that is small i have to sit real close to the tv

#874 pummy84

pummy84

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

OT: just picked mine up and set it up, i'm trying to watch a movie but its saying that it doesn't detect a 3d BR player. Its a ps3, so I know it is. Any suggestions?

Did you make sure to set up the display settings on your PS3 to work with the 3D display?

Bought one myself today, using a $5 rewards certificate, and paid for it with some of the rewards points from my card. Made sure to get the extended warranty too. Thing is pretty sweet, though the glare is a bit distracting.

#875 donaldlee

donaldlee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

They seem to be getting snatched up now, at least in my area. Only one store in two pages of stores with it in stock now. I caved and bought it.

#876 Machikunas

Machikunas

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

I picked one up, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep it.

I've been trying to get 3d to work on my PC for a good chunk of the day without any luck.

I was following the guide I found here: http://forums.redfla...isplay-1175972/ . So I installed an older version of the Nvidia drivers, installed the display driver so Nvidia thinks the monitor is an officially supported one, and installed the 3DTV software. Once it's installed I get an error "Primary display's adapter does not support 3D Vision."

According to the Nvidia site, my video card (GeForce GT 335M) is in the list of working cards for Nvidia 3DTV Play: http://www.nvidia.co...quirements.html and in the list of supported cards for 3D Vision http://www.nvidia.co...quirements.html. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Machikunas, 30 September 2012 - 04:13 AM.
Found my card in the 3D Vision list.

#877 AssaltineCracka

AssaltineCracka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:59 AM

I picked one up today...ill post my 2 cents worth of an opinion later( used my trade in credit)
Posted Image

#878 SCIENCEEE

SCIENCEEE

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

How does the best buy warranty work? I'm keeping my receipt just in case.

#879 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

How does the best buy warranty work? I'm keeping my receipt just in case.

It might tell ya on the back of that receipt your saving ;)

#880 zetaX

zetaX

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

This thread's been quiet for a while...

Anybody have any thoughts/comments/experiences regarding these 3D displays? What percentage are actually dying? You only hear about the duds....

Local BB still has a couple of them...tempting/taunting me.

#881 Jommy

Jommy

Cool Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Ive had mine for over 100 days now and it's still going strong. I use it regularly for PS3 games as well as Star Trek marathons on Netflix.

#882 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Haven't had any issues whatsoever. The monitor is on a good 10 hours a day while my 3yr old watches netflix and plays his games.

#883 brandtron8000

brandtron8000

Devilution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Got mine a couple of months ago just before Kmart started their clearance on these. I use it everyday for heavy gaming and netflix and stuff, so far it's been working like a champ. The 3D is great if the size fits your needs. I turned down the brightness a bit from the default settings and it still looks gorgeous. I also sprung for the BB 2 year warranty since I had the credit so I'm not worried about it much. But, I have not had any problems with flickering or dead pixels or anything like that.

My only real gripe is the built-in speakers kinda suck, so I just use some pc speakers and that works great.
Posted Image

#884 thebytewasbit

thebytewasbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

I hope to be able to afford one of these while they are still in stock. I had my flips lined up to get one from best buy however my wifes phone stopped working and to use my credit towards getting her a new phone. Bah!!!

#885 Dysheekie

Dysheekie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Haven't had any issues whatsoever. The monitor is on a good 10 hours a day while my 3yr old watches netflix and plays his games.

No offense, but you let your 3 year old watch TV and play games for 10 hours a day? Gulp
Posted Image

#886 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

He doesn't watch or play that much, the monitor and the PS3 are just on the majority of the day. He might actually play/watch something 3-4 hours out of the day.

#887 Dysheekie

Dysheekie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Just playing with you -- I have a 3 year old as well, I know how it goes :)
Posted Image

#888 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I haven't had any problems with my display. But I have it hooked up to my Windows PC, and it gets used very lightly at the moment. (no more than an hour a day, and often less) So my use case isn't exactly high-volume. Also, I have never run it in 3D, which I would imagine would increase the risk of overheating or screen burn-in.

I've actually been enjoying the built-in speakers. But then, I've been using it as a computer monitor, and compared to the average computer speakers it is just fine. (compared to the surround sound system in my living room I would imagine it's not nearly as capable)

#889 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Just playing with you -- I have a 3 year old as well, I know how it goes :)

haha. Does your kid play a different game like every other minute?:lol::lol:
I have PS+, so I have all the free games for him to play. My wife says I have created a mini gaming monster haha.

#890 pwnthee

pwnthee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

No problems with the screen or performance to report here.

My gripe is the fact that it doesn't come with a friggin' remote control. Seriously Sony WTF? The thing was $500 when it first came out. You couldn't throw in at least a crappy $2 remote with power and volume? I have never bought a TV without a remote. I remember dial tvs as a kid, but those are ancient, long gone dinosaurs. Even super cheap off-brand $20 dvd players come with a remote. I'd have taken a remote over an hdmi cable (which is included) and Motorstorm Apocalypse (also included) combined.

Otherwise good TV imo. And yeah the speakers aren't that good, but they're all that way on the flat screen tvs. Not really worse than what I've heard on my tvs.
Billy Mitchell is better than you.

#891 GodSmackedMe

GodSmackedMe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

We have 2 of them and both have the flicker problem. Hers we have had a month or 2 longer than mine, and hers did it every so often just for a split second or 2. Then hey few days before the Walking Dead Season was to start, it started doing it repeatedly, like 5 or 6 times in a row and every 10 minutes or so. Of course, that meant I had to swap hers out with mine, because there was NO way she was putting up with that for the Walking Dead :) Mine only did it every so often before we switched them, but has since started doing it more frequently. Granted, she does use it more than I had previously.

Once hers started doing it more frequently, I finally put in a call to Sony, and the lady knew what I was talking about, and sent the RMA box right out. I was expecting it to take about a month to get it, based on io's prior posts, but it actually showed up within a week. That's as far as I can report at the moment though, because even though I got the box quickly, it has been sitting at the foot of the bed since we got it o.0 I guess I should probably get 1 of them sent out, huh?

I'm not worried about it though, because I went into fully aware of the problems, planned on stress testing them until they did flicker, so I could go ahead and send them back to Sony for replacement/repair sooner rather than later. I also have Best Buy's 4 yr warranty on 1 of them, and since they are tracked by sku, and not serial number, I should be able to use the warranty on either 1 of them if there's a problem down the road.

Oh yea, and otherwise, we absolutely love them.

Edited by godsmack13, 06 November 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#892 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

This thread's been quiet for a while...

Anybody have any thoughts/comments/experiences regarding these 3D displays? What percentage are actually dying? You only hear about the duds....

Local BB still has a couple of them...tempting/taunting me.

I constantly see this model getting returned because people don't know how to use it, and for odd reason it wasn't compatible with one of the cable company's HD set-top box. I wanted to snag one, but whatever. I'm glad people are enjoying their 3DTV though.

Forza 5 Full Game Download/Titanfall Full Game Download - $80 bundle

Ms. Splosion Man and Pinball FX XBL Codes for Sale/Trade

This is my new theme song. "Man, you're a CheapAssGamer."

YouTube

#893 Dysheekie

Dysheekie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

haha. Does your kid play a different game like every other minute?:lol::lol:
I have PS+, so I have all the free games for him to play. My wife says I have created a mini gaming monster haha.

Yeah I think I have a little monster as well. Although most of the time he just wants to play iPad games (constantly switching games). Every once in a while he'll get really excited about playing a game on the TV.
Posted Image

#894 blcklblskt

blcklblskt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've had it since it was $160 a few months back and I love it. The display looks great, and the 3D works well. Someone posted a link with a great way to optimize the settings (i.e. not having the brightness on max), and the display looks very crisp. I'd definitely recommend it.

#895 ChaosLaw

ChaosLaw

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

^i need to look at that lol cuz when i got mine it looked like shit and i ended up returning it. might pick it back up if it goes down to 150/below

#896 htz

htz

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

I bought mines in September no problems at all but I notice that it turns on by itself sometimes(I don't even have a remote for it).

#897 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

My gripe is the fact that it doesn't come with a friggin' remote control. Seriously Sony WTF? The thing was $500 when it first came out. You couldn't throw in at least a crappy $2 remote with power and volume? I have never bought a TV without a remote. I remember dial tvs as a kid, but those are ancient, long gone dinosaurs. Even super cheap off-brand $20 dvd players come with a remote. I'd have taken a remote over an hdmi cable (which is included) and Motorstorm Apocalypse (also included) combined.

Otherwise good TV imo. And yeah the speakers aren't that good, but they're all that way on the flat screen tvs. Not really worse than what I've heard on my tvs.

You do understand this is a 'display' and NOT a tv? They even say it can be used as a computer monitor. But, yeah, it would have been cool to include a remote.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#898 ChaosLaw

ChaosLaw

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

You do understand this is a 'display' and NOT a tv? They even say it can be used as a computer monitor. But, yeah, it would have been cool to include a remote.

step 1. label product x as y, where products y have less features not because of any inherent reason but because of their perception as such
step 2. ???
step 3. profit

#899 GodSmackedMe

GodSmackedMe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

sorry but considering it has no TV tuner built into it, it is not a TV

Granted @ $500 it probably should have come with a remote, just wanted to make sure you two realized that just about any universal remote will work. I'm pretty sure it was the first Sony code listed for my Comcast remote. I don't know about a 3d button, because I've only used it for a couple 3d games with the my ps3 and it automatically switched, but I'm pretty sure all the other buttons work, including going through the menus.

Edited by godsmack13, 06 November 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#900 pablo escobar

pablo escobar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

I've had it for a few months and so far the only complaint are the terrible built in speakers. The screen is pretty reflective but I got used to that.