Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

• Please log in to reply
902 replies to this topic

#91 Zippon

Zippon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Wow. People are still comparing items that wear out with use (like houses and cars) with digital media, which essentially lasts forever and provides an identical experience to each new owner as it's sold over and over and over again? That's a major logic fail right there. :drool:

S'okay. Enjoy saving that $5 per game as more and more studios go out of business. Eventually everything will be download-only, and the "right" to resell will be gone, just like with PC software. One user per license. Easy-peasy. ;)

Still tempted by this offer, but I just don't know. Guess I should inventory all my 3D games and blu-rays to see if it's worth it.

#92 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'm down if it goes to $99; after seeing the high failure rates and how sony doesn't care to accept them...the thing is a display, but has no DVI or VGA inputs... no official remote included so that's an extra $24 if you want a PS remote (which I think some type of remote should have been included instead of an HDMI cable), plus whatever converer cable needed for your computer to send to one of the HDMI ports if you want to use it w/out a console or BR player... According to GS there is low stock of it in about 10 GS around me, so I might buy it at $150, definitely at $99 but $200 is just too much. In my Sam's Club there are a bunch still at $400+.

The official Sony remote WAS $2.49 at Kmart, but it went outta the system before I could grab one for my PS3.:roll: As for an adapter to hook up a PC, they sell fairly cheap DVI to HDMI adapters online. I actually picked one up(Philips brand no less) about 6 months ago at a discount store up in Syracuse(NY) area for $1.

HDMI to VGA adapters: http://www.amazon.co... to vga adapter

HDMI TO DVI adapters: http://www.amazon.co...to dvi adapters

So really, to me the only thing(besides price) that'd dissuade me from buying one of these is the failure rate. But the price is only holding me back since I bought an HP 2159m monitor(w/ DVI & HDMI) for $20 at a thrift store a while ago and if I want to I could use that for my PS3 AND my PC in one shot. Not only that but I feel that 3D is a gimmick at best, which is evidenced by the lack of more 3D capable games coming out.

Edited by IAmTheCheapestGamer, 24 June 2012 - 10:37 AM.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#93 thetruth1983

thetruth1983

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm surprised that so many people have problems with these monitor. I have had mine for 3 months and never had a problem. I don't need a tuner since I have cable and a htpc hooked up to it. I doubt this will every fall to $99 though.

#94 IzzyF3

IzzyF3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

1. Why do they have to give back to the publishers for the sale of used games? So you expect amazon.com, best buy and gamestop to give back to publishers? How about car dealerships that sell used cars? Should they give back to Ford, GM and Chrysler? :lol:

2. 15% TIV? You sure of that? For every game? You know that the company needs to make a profit so you have to include shipping costs to the warehouse, the salary of the employees who refurbish the games and the managers, plus the costs of benefits for these employees. I can keep going on and on. And you know that amazon and best buy have similar TIV, right?

3. Stealing? Nobody puts a gun to your heat to force those trade ins. So it is not stealing when you trade in broken stuff? (like many do).

4. So if they are out of stock of used copies, there is no stock at all even if they have new copies? That's a bold statement there. Obviously the company will push the sale of used copies since that's where they make the most profit but I have never heard of an employee that will not sell you a new copy if they have one in stock.

5. So they literally call you an "idiot" for not buying an used copy? Man, you must be really sensitive or you must go to bad locations. I have been to stores in Texas and Oklahoma (dozens of them) and I have never been called an idiot. Yes, I have dealt with bad employees but nothing to the extreme as to what you describe.

6. If that were to happen, that's when you get the manager's name and call corporate to report this shit and ask for compensation. I wouldn't put up with shit like that. I have called Best Buy corporate for shit that I got from a manager when I bought a TV. Got me a nice $50 gift card.

7. Typical "GameStop hater" that will buy stuff at GameStop when they have deals, yet bitch and complain about the company like there is no tomorrow.

8. Yeah, you are so fired up that you are ready to go to the store to buy this bundle because it is a good deal. Makes sense to me. :applause:

Sure. GameStop’s used game market poisons the games industry, but there isn’t anything wrong with new games. Good deals on new games and in this case, new 3D displays, why not? Does makes sense.

If you're happy with everything GameStop, then by all means, buy as many used games, and trade in as many things as you like. More power to you.;)

Gamestop.com had some really awesome deals in the past, but imagine how the gamestop.com shopping experience would be if it were like their retail stores. Before you check out, popup: would you like to preorder the next Call of Duty? Close. New popup: would you like to preorder Madden 2014. Close. (Because I’m buying Xenoblade Chronicles) New popup: would you like to preorder The Last Story? Close. New popup: would you like to sign up for powered up rewards? ……. Close. Item arrives… and… it’s a gutted copy. Oh and one more. If there a new release out of stock, there’ll be a popup that says, “You should have preordered.”

#95 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Gamestop.com had some really awesome deals in the past, but imagine how the gamestop.com shopping experience would be if it were like their retail stores. Before you check out, popup: would you like to preorder the next Call of Duty? Close. New popup: would you like to preorder Madden 2014. Close. (Because I’m buying Xenoblade Chronicles) New popup: would you like to preorder The Last Story? Close. New popup: would you like to sign up for powered up rewards? ……. Close. Item arrives… and… it’s a gutted copy. Oh and one more. If there a new release out of stock, there’ll be a popup that says, “You should have preordered.”

:rofl::rofl::rofl::applause::applause::applause:

Posted Image

#96 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image

#97 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

The official Sony remote WAS $2.49 at Kmart, but it went outta the system before I could grab one for my PS3.:roll: As for an adapter to hook up a PC, they sell fairly cheap DVI to HDMI adapters online. I actually picked one up(Philips brand no less) about 6 months ago at a discount store up in Syracuse(NY) area for $1.

HDMI to VGA adapters: http://www.amazon.co... to vga adapter

HDMI TO DVI adapters: http://www.amazon.co...to dvi adapters

So really, to me the only thing(besides price) that'd dissuade me from buying one of these is the failure rate. But the price is only holding me back since I bought an HP 2159m monitor(w/ DVI & HDMI) for $20 at a thrift store a while ago and if I want to I could use that for my PS3 AND my PC in one shot. Not only that but I feel that 3D is a gimmick at best, which is evidenced by the lack of more 3D capable games coming out.

LOL, i had the same exact hp monitor, which i bought almost 2 yrs ago for $160 + tax. i just recently replace it with a dell from bestbuy with the trade in credit

#98 Fire2box

Fire2box

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Can this work as a computer monitor if I use a DVI to HDMI adapter? This would be perfect for a monitor.

Don't see why not.

Isn't the 3d monitor like 720P only? Since that is what most PS3 games run at anyhow, no reason for sony to throw in extra pixels/res to go to 1080p.

#99 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm still in the $150 camp with this, or waiting till they release a bigger one. Especially with the high failure rates and everything.

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#100 hav0k99

hav0k99

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Isn't the 3d monitor like 720P only? Since that is what most PS3 games run at anyhow, no reason for sony to throw in extra pixels/res to go to 1080p.

You've heard of 3D Movies on Blu-ray right?

#101 xenophreak

xenophreak

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

How do you price match this at best buy without an ad?
Can i buy it this week at BB and then PM it next week?

#102 Edge

Edge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

No, as I stated earlier in this thread, it supports 3D 1080p/24hz. That's the standard for 3D movie formats for Blu-ray, you can get full resolution 1080p 3D on this display.

Even aside from that, why shouldn't it at least support 1080p for all other content that isn't in 3D? It's not like it requires everything you view to be in 3D, you know.

#103 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

If it didn't have 1080p, I probably wouldn't be buying it. It's going to be a secondary computer monitor for me as well, and I don't want a 720p monitor. Not to mention, there are several 1080p non-3D games, as well as 1080p 3D (and non-3D) movies.

Personally, Simulview is one of the selling points for me, despite the fact there's only half a dozen games or so that support it. I wish more split-screen games did.

#104 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

How do you price match this at best buy without an ad?
Can i buy it this week at BB and then PM it next week?

you tell them to look at up on the gamestop website. that is what i do when i want them to price match gamestop

#105 hav0k99

hav0k99

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Has anyone gone into the store to verify this deal yet? On the website it still shows original price of $399.

** Edit **

I just called 2 gamestops and they state the price drop is to $299 from $399 :wall:

#106 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Had 2 at the local BB when I went to get the $10 games this morning. The guy was surprised when I mentioned what bad reliability I've heard about them, he said he hasn't heard of anyone having problems, and if anything has had people coming back to say how great the monitors were.

NOT doubting anyone, just interesting-- you seem to either get a good one or have no end of problems... and my luck with Sony products is such I'm sure I'd be in RMA hell.

BB has them on sale for $249 this week and he said they'd PM Gamestop if the $199 price materializes..

I didn't buy one, though...

#107 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Has anyone gone into the store to verify this deal yet? On the website it still shows original price of $399.

** Edit **

I just called 2 gamestops and they state the price drop is to $299 from $399 :wall:

It's listed here on their upcoming Gamestock sale thing although that says:

Available 06/27/12-07/31/12

so the dates might be a bit off.

http://www.gamestock...sOfTheWeek.aspx

#108 TheLounge

TheLounge

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

It's listed here on their upcoming Gamestock sale thing although that says:

Available 06/27/12-07/31/12

so the dates might be a bit off.

http://www.gamestock...sOfTheWeek.aspx

Looks like it's display and a set of glasses, at least from the ad. I'm more interested in maybe getting duke nukem balls of steel for $10...
:booty: Working on the last few trophies on JustCause2 plat :booty:

Looking for: GCs to BB
Have tons of: Skylanders figures, Mortal Kombat DLC codes, Square-Enix codes (ps3?), Armor of Brutus PS3 code, Revelations online pass PS3... please pm

#109 superhippy1986

superhippy1986

Collecting Panties

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

I've heard nothing but bad news about this thing. From it not turning on to dying and crap.

At this rate its going to drop to $150 pretty soon I'm thinking.
Bethesda Excuse defined..

http://www.urbandict...Bethesda Excuse

#110 @FIF

@FIF

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

The gamestock page (good find!) shows a PS 3D Display for $199, but it looks like it's the base package only. Also confirms Twisted Metal for $30 (6/25 only) and Starhawk for $30 (MSRP just dropped to $40, and it's $10 off on 6/26).

#111 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

I've heard nothing but bad news about this thing. From it not turning on to dying and crap.

At this rate its going to drop to $150 pretty soon I'm thinking.

you never know, especially with bestbuy, you might actually get it for that price as dotd, or in the outlet center,LOL

#112 @FIF

@FIF

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

Looks like it's display and a set of glasses, at least from the ad.

It shows Motorstorm on the screen and a pair of glasses next to the TV. I think ti's just a stock image of the in-box contents, no extras added in to sweeten the deal :-(

#113 frpilot

frpilot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

if you're in california, i'm assuming they will charge recycle/environmental/disposal fee?

#114 iiSaviour

iiSaviour

RIP In Peace

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

No TV tuner ... Fuck.

#115 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

No TV tuner ... Fuck.

From what I heard, you can use it as a TV if you have a receiver that uses the video inputs. (Anything digital/HD afaik)

Cognitive Dissonance: Wanna join my Call of Duty 4 clan?
Me: Who are you?
Cognitive Dissonance: You ask too many questions. Never mind. You're out.

#116 Olympus

Olympus

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

NOT doubting anyone, just interesting-- you seem to either get a good one or have no end of problems... and my luck with Sony products is such I'm sure I'd be in RMA hell.

My first one was a lemon. The HDMI connection kept dropping out for 2-3 seconds at a time. I took it back and my new one has performed flawlessly for months now.

#117 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

There is now proof that it IS 100% real. I just received a PowerUp Rewards email that had a link. The link stated that it is valid from 6/27/12 to 7/31/12. For a $199 SONY Playstation 3D Display. Check your email if you are a member.

#118 Vice

Vice

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Mugatu, I was starting to have my doubts. I'm still hoping for the bundle that will make this a no brainer. $199 for just the base package is still pretty tempting, though.

#119 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

1. Shipping to the used game warehouse only usually applies if the games are mangled beyond belief 2. or the store employees are raping every customer for refurb fees, even on stuff that's immaculate.

3. Again, see above. If GS employees were told to be more selective in the feces and other indeterminate substance covered, scratched up, disc only shit they took in then those employees would be redundant and no longer necessary.;) 4. Not only that, but I believe that most GS employees usually print up those fetching anime kid covers for the disc only games, so no need to send those out and pay someone else to do that.

5. Since when do GS employees actually get benefits? I mean, aside from being paid via a cash card that rapes them with fees every time they try to use it.
http://kotaku.com/51...as-it-should-be

6. At one point in time, Amazon had values far and above GS and even offered bonus credit. Now they only offer the base value. But right now BB is offering a 100% trade bonus and combined with their 10% bump card and the right games it can't be beat. But yeah, all three places offer shit values otherwise nowadays.:roll:

7. For the record, I only used to trade in nearly broken stuff when dumping crap consoles on them.;) Kidding. Actually virtually everything I traded to them was mint/complete. So someone got excellent condition copies of many games.

8. I had to damn near jump the counter the one time to point out where the new/sealed copies of X or Y game were when I kept asking for a new copy of a recently released game. They kept trying to upsell to the pre-owned copies, all of which were disc only less than a week from launch.:shock::roll:

I've had good employees, bad employees and super pushy employees before. Of the three I'd rather have the good & bad employees, but the super pushy(mention 10 different preorders, then whore out the PUR card) ones can eat a dick. I'd rather pre-order with someone who knows I don't put up with the upselling bs and is laid back rather than Mr. I Think I'm Super fuckin' Salesman Of The Year.:roll:

9. $50? Shit. I'd just rather an actual apology from the employee(s) in question in front of a packed store on a busy night like a Friday or Saturday evening. Embarassing an asshole employee makes me smile more than greasing my palm with a "free" gift card. That free gc basically means I'm giving that dick a free pass to be a jerkoff to someone else in the fuure if it means it'll get him a sale.

10. I only usually bought from GS when there was an actual deal that I considered decent. Otherwise I avoided them like the plague.

1. Which is more than 50% of the games. (most) People do not take care of their stuff. If GameStop only took pristine stuff, they would hardly take any trade ins. A

2. I have traded tons of stuff and maybe 1 time I paid a "refurb fee". How do you know all employees "rape customers with fees"? Assumption out of your ass? or did you conduct a formal surveys with customers checking their receipts?

3. It is not that easy to just take "perfect / complete items". Again, GameStop would hardly sell any used games if that was the case.

4. Wrong. Employees do not print the "disc only" covers. Those come from the Refurb center in Grapevine, TX with the cases and games. There is a special machine that does that. Keep assuming and pulling shit out of your ass.

5. Employees do get benefits and they are better than your average retail store. I used to get CIGNA medical and dental for my family for $120 every paycheck. Try getting those benefits at Wal-Mart. I am impressed with your google search. Nice article about an employee bitching because he gets paid with a card that charges fees. Actually, the story fails to mention that you can transfer your card balance to any bank for free. Also, every employee can get paid through direct deposit at no cost. Nice try.

6. At one point amazon had great trade in values... a long time ago. Right now they will give you $1 for Infamous 2 (if your game is in "good condition"). Have fun trading those games over there.

7. Sure, everything you trade is flawless. Good for you. That's not how most people treat their stuff.

8. How hard were they trying to sell you that used game? Just tell the clerk, shut the Fuck up and give me the new copy. That will take care of the matter right away. Unless, you are sensitive and can't get those words out of your mouth. When it comes to preorders, man, I must be the luckiest guy in America because every time a clerk tries to push a preorder, they stop asking once I say no.

9. Apologies mean shit to me, I rather have a nice $50 gift card. I rather deal with jerks so I can get me a nice gift card so I can buy myself a nice game. An "apology" does not entertain me on my XBOX 360.

10. "Avoid them like the plague but run to the store when there is a deal." Doesn't that sound like hypocrisy? I avoid places I dislike no matter the price I can get. You remind me of the wal-mart haters who cannot stand the company because it kills "local stores", yet these same people go to wal-mart every week because it is the cheapest place to buy goods.
[IMG]http://http://profile.mygamercard.net/conejo%20mexicano[/IMG]

#120 mark_IV

mark_IV

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:25 AM

Just a heads up to anyone considering price matching at Best Buy to purchase an extended warranty, Best Buy no longer refunds the full purchase price should the display be deemed unrepairable. The new terms (don't know when the terms changed since my last claim was back in 2006) are "comparable technology" which equates to whatever Best Buy currently sells that is comparable so you could possibly end up getting screwed down the road if you expect a full refund or exact replacement.