Stan Lee Autograph SDCC 2012 - 7/13/12

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']and when he passes he'll not be involved any film or comic anymore[/URL][/QUOTE]

How do you know maybe they will do like a "Weekend at Bernies" kind of thing with him.

[quote name='GUNNM']wow $55 for an autograph[/QUOTE]

That's not too outrageous. I used to go to a lot of sporting card trade shows with my dad when I was younger and most of the athletes in attendance charged $20+ or more to meet and greet and get an autograph (this was 15+ years ago).

And these were just "B" grade athletes and celebrities.

I've even gone to some where they require that you purchase whatever it is you're getting signed at the event; which means you can't bring in your own memorabilia.

Hell I've even read about certain athletes that would absolutely NOT sign for fans (Ted Williams comes to mind) and others that would request they receive money; even if not at a sanctioned event (i.e. out in public).

To charge people who have made you billions $55 to sign a piece of paper is a lot to me. I also understand having a limit of things to have signed but if you want another item signed its another $55

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GBAstar']That's not too outrageous. I used to go to a lot of sporting card trade shows with my dad when I was younger and most of the athletes in attendance charged $20+ or more to meet and greet and get an autograph (this was 15+ years ago).

I've even gone to some where they require that you purchase whatever it is you're getting signed at the event; which means you can't bring in your own memorabilia.

Hell I've even read about certain athletes that would absolutely NOT sign for fans (Ted Williams comes to mind) and others that would request they receive money; even if not at a sanctioned event (i.e. out in public).[/QUOTE]Just because it has been done before doesn't mean it's right.

[quote name='GBAstar']That's not too outrageous. I used to go to a lot of sporting card trade shows with my dad when I was younger and most of the athletes in attendance charged $20+ or more to meet and greet and get an autograph (this was 15+ years ago).

Hell I've even read about certain athletes that would absolutely NOT sign for fans (Ted Williams comes to mind) and others that would request they receive money; even if not at a sanctioned event (i.e. out in public).[/QUOTE]

Yepp. I've spent hundreds meeting NFL players and having them sign my football.
One event was actually neat because it all went to the relief efforts in Japan. :)

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Just because it has been done before doesn't mean it's right.[/QUOTE]

If you get a comic, card, or movie signed it will be worth much more than $55..

I've spent a ton on horror movie actors and such over the years to sign figures, posters, and movies, and doing it again next weekend at the fright night film festival. 55 bucks for Stan Lee, who will kick the bucket sometime soon probably, is worth it if you have great items for him to sign.

[quote name='GUNNM']To charge people who have made you billions $55 to sign a piece of paper is a lot to me. I also understand having a limit of things to have signed but if you want another item signed its another $55[/QUOTE]

To be fair, it's usually not the guest themselves that are charging the money. More often than not, it's the company that flew them out there that sets up the fees and whatnot. In this case, Desert Wind Comics.

debating it. I dont know what I'd have him sign though. I dont have any comics. Have all the marvel movies and a Marvel poster but I'd be flying there and taking a poster on flight would be a pain.

When he was at Baltimore Comic Con I passed on getting his autograph and still kinda regret it but I just had nothing I could think of him signing worth a crap. OP is right he isn't getting any younger and any of those autographs when he finally passes will easily get you that 55 + back should you choose to sell.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']I've spent a ton on horror movie actors and such over the years to sign figures, posters, and movies, and doing it again next weekend at the fright night film festival. 55 bucks for Stan Lee, who will kick the bucket sometime soon probably, is worth it if you have great items for him to sign.[/QUOTE]

In louisville I'll be there also !! PLus going to sdcc.
I've got a stan lee comic con exclusive figure but I really don't feel like bringing it and carrying it around most the day. I've got Stan Lee Autographs all ready so going to pass. Plus I all ready think I have stuff on friday that I was going to try to get in.

NM I forgot I all ready have stan Lee's autograph on my mall rats VHS along with kevin smith.

only Marvel comics I have are some old Howard the Duck comics from the 70s but there no mention of Stan Lee on them whatsoever so I dont know if thatd be worth getting signed.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']You can use Batman comics if you want.[/QUOTE]
that would be like this:

jack-nicholson-joker.jpg

GEEZ! I remember when people didn't use to charge for stuff at SDCC. But this is me just being bitter cause I've been going since I was a kid and not happy with the way it has turned into. But yeah, for people going they should get it done before he's gone. I saw him 3 years ago there and got to talk to hiim and he did not look good in person. And not sure if it was the area I found him at or him, but something smelled like pee!

Glad that I already have a bunch of comics signed by him over the years of me living.

so if they also selling tickets for a meet and greet and photo does that mean we cant even see him when we get our item signed? if thats the case, I'm going to pass

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']He's in the 80s now and when he passes he'll not be involved any film or comic anymore. [/QUOTE]

This may just be the greatest sentence ever written.

Met Stan Lee last year at SDCC when he and Morgan Spurlock were promoting the Comic Con Episode IV book. He was pretty cool, glad I got his autograph in the book.

Seriously debating buying a nice Avengers poster and paying for him to sign that this year....

EDIT - I swear to god, this site cost me more money than it ever saved me....just ordered a $40 official Avengers double sided poster and dropped $55 on the signing. At least I'm going to have a freaking awesome poster to go next to my signed Gears poster from last year! Now, just need to get lucky and win a Joss Whedon signing at SDCC this year....having him and Lee on the poster would be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GUNNM']To charge people who have made you billions $55 to sign a piece of paper is a lot to me. I also understand having a limit of things to have signed but if you want another item signed its another $55[/QUOTE]
That $55 investment can make you hundreds and thousands if you have him sign the right comics.

I see people complaining, and it's weird. I was going to go to Star Wars Celebration V two years ago, but things came up. Mark Hamill was charging $125 for an autograph. So in comparison $55 isn't that bad, if you really like Stan Lee.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']so if they also selling tickets for a meet and greet and photo does that mean we cant even see him when we get our item signed? if thats the case, I'm going to pass[/QUOTE]
I'm sure you'll see him. The meet and greet is more of a way to get to talk to him and enjoy some special time. When you're signing, you probably just get to say "hi" before you rushed off so they can get other people too.

[quote name='emokid9963']I see people complaining, and it's weird. I was going to go to Star Wars Celebration V two years ago, but things came up. Mark Hamill was charging $125 for an autograph. So in comparison $55 isn't that bad, if you really like Stan Lee.[/QUOTE]

I saw Mark Hamil one year at SDCC. He was charging 75 bucks for a signature. Only catch is he would only sign the special Comic Con exclusive Luke bust that was crazy expensive. Friend's brother who usually has me and the rest go in line go to get signatures (or exclusives) for extras so he can sell them online. While I got to him I said "I love you in The Guyver". He did a single "ha".

I understand the charging... if a anime VA- arguably a 'niche celebrity' at best- can fill a 2-6 hour autograph session and still turn people away, I hate to imagine what someone like Stan Lee can bring in. So, either:
You raffle- yay, a 6 hour wait for 1:1,000 odds!
You cut the line- a nightmare for the poor folks trying to enforce lineup times and prevent cutting, or
You make people pay to weed out causal opportunists and the broke. It sucks, but it works.

I do prefer people who you can see for free though, they tend to be very cool. So you're getting Stan Lee's autograph... my brother got ass-raped by Jason Mewes at ECCC, so there! :D

bought a ticket. Going to have my Spider-Man '67 Collection dvd set signed. Isnt in mint condition, but its in decent/fair condition. And I believe it is OOP, so should be a good item to have signed. :)

May look for something worthy to have signed at the con too in case I change my mind.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']bought a ticket. Going to have my Spider-Man '67 Collection dvd set signed. Isnt in mint condition, but its in decent/fair condition. And I believe it is OOP, so should be a good item to have signed. :)

May look for something worthy to have signed at the con too in case I change my mind.[/QUOTE]

Make sure the art or the discs are signed.

I Keep imagining this will play out like that episode of Simpsons where Matlock visits the old people and they mob him and Grandpa steals his pills.

He was at the Philadelphia Comic Con a few weeks ago that I went to and my cousin dropped $55 for his autograph. He was a nice guy but they moved the line super fast so you only get to say 4 words to him.

I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken the way it usually works is that they get paid to be there by whoever is putting the show on, and the fees charged are basically the show runners trying to make money. I guess the hope is that they'll make more than they had to pay to get the person there.

[quote name='Clak']I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken the way it usually works is that they get paid to be there by whoever is putting the show on, and the fees charged are basically the show runners trying to make money. I guess the hope is that they'll make more than they had to pay to get the person there.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. Celebrities usually get paid an "appearance fee" to attend these type of events. The admissions costs for the signing is a way for whomever organized the event to recoup that cost / make money.

Not sure how things work at SDCC, but I do know that at the Wizard cons, celebrity guests are forced to charge a minimum of $20, no matter what. The Stern show has been making fun of Jackie Martling for weeks now for charging $20 at Philly/Chicago, and he said he'd sign for free if he could, but they enforce the minimum $20 on everyone. Some cool guests who don't want to charge will compensate by giving you free photo ops and 8x10's, or whatever else they could be plugging there to go along with your paid auto. Most comic creators are still free, but relegated to artist alley, and can be difficult to find, or have weird signing schedules due to the number of sketches they've been commissioned for over the weekend.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Just because it has been done before doesn't mean it's right.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but its America we're talkin' here. Obama charges about $2K for a picture with him. If we dont have a price set then everybody will just come out.

[quote name='Donut2922']Yeah but its America we're talkin' here. Obama charges about $2K for a picture with him. If we dont have a price set then everybody will just come out.[/QUOTE]
And $4K for a plate.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Not sure how things work at SDCC, but I do know that at the Wizard cons, celebrity guests are forced to charge a minimum of $20, no matter what.[/QUOTE]

Before at SDCC, nobody really charged. It wasn't till like 6 years ago (it seems to me. The actual number may not be correct) that they started charging. I only asked one person about it (Phil LaMar) and he said they require people to start charging now. He gave me a free signature though cause he said he didn't like the new rule and forgot how much he was suppose to charge people cause it was new to him. Not sure if it's true, but I will believe him. SDCC has been charging crazy ammounts for things so it sounds like something they would do to me.

He did Dallas Comic Con recently and from what I was told, his line is UNREAL so I can just imagine what it will be like at SDCC.

bread's done
Back