Stan Lee Autograph SDCC 2012 - 7/13/12

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

He was at the Philadelphia Comic Con a few weeks ago that I went to and my cousin dropped $55 for his autograph. He was a nice guy but they moved the line super fast so you only get to say 4 words to him.

#32 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken the way it usually works is that they get paid to be there by whoever is putting the show on, and the fees charged are basically the show runners trying to make money. I guess the hope is that they'll make more than they had to pay to get the person there.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#33 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken the way it usually works is that they get paid to be there by whoever is putting the show on, and the fees charged are basically the show runners trying to make money. I guess the hope is that they'll make more than they had to pay to get the person there.

I think you're right. Celebrities usually get paid an "appearance fee" to attend these type of events. The admissions costs for the signing is a way for whomever organized the event to recoup that cost / make money.

#34 mrosnwo

mrosnwo

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

Not sure how things work at SDCC, but I do know that at the Wizard cons, celebrity guests are forced to charge a minimum of $20, no matter what. The Stern show has been making fun of Jackie Martling for weeks now for charging $20 at Philly/Chicago, and he said he'd sign for free if he could, but they enforce the minimum $20 on everyone. Some cool guests who don't want to charge will compensate by giving you free photo ops and 8x10's, or whatever else they could be plugging there to go along with your paid auto. Most comic creators are still free, but relegated to artist alley, and can be difficult to find, or have weird signing schedules due to the number of sketches they've been commissioned for over the weekend.

#35 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Just because it has been done before doesn't mean it's right.

Yeah but its America we're talkin' here. Obama charges about $2K for a picture with him. If we dont have a price set then everybody will just come out.

#36 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Yeah but its America we're talkin' here. Obama charges about $2K for a picture with him. If we dont have a price set then everybody will just come out.

And $4K for a plate.

#37 Rock_Dash3X

Rock_Dash3X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:32 AM

Not sure how things work at SDCC, but I do know that at the Wizard cons, celebrity guests are forced to charge a minimum of $20, no matter what.

Before at SDCC, nobody really charged. It wasn't till like 6 years ago (it seems to me. The actual number may not be correct) that they started charging. I only asked one person about it (Phil LaMar) and he said they require people to start charging now. He gave me a free signature though cause he said he didn't like the new rule and forgot how much he was suppose to charge people cause it was new to him. Not sure if it's true, but I will believe him. SDCC has been charging crazy ammounts for things so it sounds like something they would do to me.

#38 Will

Will

Official CAG Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

He did Dallas Comic Con recently and from what I was told, his line is UNREAL so I can just imagine what it will be like at SDCC.

http://www.cheapassg...trade-gone-bad/

Heroes.jpg
I dont trade out of the US anymore!!!!!!!

#39 Simmeltron

Simmeltron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Don't forget the $20 autograph "fast pass". ;)

But seriously, Stan Lee is a legend. If I was anywhere near SDCC I would shell the $55 out gladly.