Google "Nexus 7" tablet - Nexus 7 (2013) now available

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#31 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Seems like the Android OS is being updated as much as Apple changes the iPhone. Now my only thing I'm wondering is when it will no longer be updated. Still tempted to order. It all depends on when I can get a Galaxy S III. If that screen is good enough for me then I wont bother if I do want the larger screen for comics and books then this will be ordered. How are comics on 7 inch tabs? Can you read the page with out zooming in on it?

Android is a little quicker than iOS considering how long they've been on the market, but they're close enough. I'd give the tablet at least 2 years of official updates from release with a solid dev support from cyanogen for as long as they can hack updates onto it. If Flash is important to you, you might want to think about another tablet and upgrading to 4.1 because they just announced that there will be no flash support for 4.1 and beyond.

As for comics on a 7 incher, you could read them in portrait mode, but landscape will be much easier. Books obviously won't be a problem, but a 10 inch is far better for comics.

#32 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

Thanks. I guess I will keep looking for a 10 inch.
Posted Image

#33 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Android is a little quicker than iOS considering how long they've been on the market, but they're close enough. I'd give the tablet at least 2 years of official updates from release with a solid dev support from cyanogen for as long as they can hack updates onto it. If Flash is important to you, you might want to think about another tablet and upgrading to 4.1 because they just announced that there will be no flash support for 4.1 and beyond.

As for comics on a 7 incher, you could read them in portrait mode, but landscape will be much easier. Books obviously won't be a problem, but a 10 inch is far better for comics.

Really? No Flash support from 4.1 and beyond? Interesting. Guess Adobe's starting to learn that Flash on mobile devices isn't worth dealing with any longer.

Thanks. I guess I will keep looking for a 10 inch.

That's what she said. ;)

#34 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Really? No Flash support from 4.1 and beyond? Interesting. Guess Adobe's starting to learn that Flash on mobile devices isn't worth dealing with any longer.

Yup. I don't go to a lot of Flash sites on my phone, but I like knowing it's there if I ever want it. Looks like I'm not updating to 4.1 when it comes out.

http://www.gsmarena....5-news-4459.php

That's what she said. ;)

HAHAHA...nice.

#35 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

Yup. I don't go to a lot of Flash sites on my phone, but I like knowing it's there if I ever want it. Looks like I'm not updating to 4.1 when it comes out.

http://www.gsmarena....5-news-4459.php

Very very interesting. Didn't realize that Flash on Android was going the way of the do-do. One nice thing with an Android phone was the ability to use Flash, though most of the time, it's not a huge issue for me.

I'm curious to see how it pans out with phones that go to 4.1 and no one realizes Flash doesn't work.

HAHAHA...nice.

And people say size doesn't matter.....

#36 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

I realize everyone is getting hard over HTML5, but Adobe and Google must understand that there is still a demand for Flash capabilities. The ultimate irony is that youtube uses Flash.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#37 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

I realize everyone is getting hard over HTML5, but Adobe and Google must understand that there is still a demand for Flash capabilities. The ultimate irony is that youtube uses Flash.

Yeah...I'm guessing that Google isn't pressuring Adobe because Google wants more Chrome users. Maybe they'll go the Opera Mini route and do proxy servers. I'm talking out of my ass on this one because I don't know squat about Chrome and obviously don't use it.:lol:

#38 Habbler

Habbler

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

Chrome on the pc uses it's own version of flash player built right into the plugins. You do not have to download it from adobe in order to view flash content. Perhaps when Android 4.1 releases the Chrome for android beta will end and it will have flash built into it as well. That will force everyone to use the Chrome browser over Dolphin and other programs.

#39 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

here's the link to the pre-order page at GameStop if anyone is interested.

http://www.gamestop....der-only/102893

#40 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

How about they make a poverty level version for those of us who can't afford $200, and leave out the camera, GPS, accelerometer, microphone, bluetooth, bloatware, movie, and whatever other doodads are unnecessary?

I've wanted a pad for so long now, but would never actually use any of the things I listed above.

I'd basically use it for video, internet at home, and ebooks. Probably wouldn't actually ever take it outside the house.
Praxus_07.png

#41 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

There are poverty-level tablets out there, just not Google Nexus devices.

Loss of Flash (hopefully the thing about it just being built into Chrome on Android will be an accurate guess) and no external SD card slot has sort of soured me on this device, but we'll see how it's received when it comes out.
Posted Image

#42 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

How about they make a poverty level version for those of us who can't afford $200, and leave out the camera, GPS, accelerometer, microphone, bluetooth, bloatware, movie, and whatever other doodads are unnecessary?

I've wanted a pad for so long now, but would never actually use any of the things I listed above.

I'd basically use it for video, internet at home, and ebooks. Probably wouldn't actually ever take it outside the house.

Get a Nook Color. It's the best one you can get for under $150 when on sale.

#43 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

No SD slot is a turn-off, but otherwise pretty solid specs.

#44 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

Get a Nook Color. It's the best one you can get for under $150 when on sale.

I'm talking $100 or under for something that runs well but doesn't have anything unnecessary like a cam, gps, microphone, or anything else people never use, and isn't an e-reader with some stuff tacked on. If the nexus came bare bones without all the extra stuff it'd probably be around $100.
Praxus_07.png

#45 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

Chrome on the pc uses it's own version of flash player built right into the plugins. You do not have to download it from adobe in order to view flash content. Perhaps when Android 4.1 releases the Chrome for android beta will end and it will have flash built into it as well. That will force everyone to use the Chrome browser over Dolphin and other programs.

The beta for Chrome is already over, still no flash. For whatever reason Google, and I guess Adobe, seem to be siding with Apple on this one, and I don't get why. Like I said Google ,owns Youtube and Youtube still uses flash, it makes no sense. And the final nail in the coffin is that since Adobe is no longer developing the mobile flash player, they're not updating it for 4.1 Jellybean.

So yeah, I'm about to lose flash on my GN when it updates in the near future.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#46 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Review of Android 4.1 / Jelly Bean:

http://www.theverge....lly-bean-review

#47 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Every time I read an Android article on Verge it seems like I can feel an undercurrent of hate towards the platform.

#48 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Has anyone heard if this will be available from Amazon (or anywhere other than Google directly)? Not really interested in buying it unless I can use my 50 dollar Amazon credit on it.

It's not up for preorder, don't know if that's because Google wants everyone to order the first batch from them, or if they just don't plan to sell it anywhere else.
Posted Image

#49 iambeaker

iambeaker

Right Wing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

Has anyone heard if this will be available from Amazon (or anywhere other than Google directly)? Not really interested in buying it unless I can use my 50 dollar Amazon credit on it.

I doubt it will be available on Amazon. The Nexus 7 is the most direct competitor to Amazon's Kindle Fire.

I read that some stores (Target, Best Buy, etc...) will carry the Nexus 7 in August.

#50 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

It's not up for preorder, don't know if that's because Google wants everyone to order the first batch from them, or if they just don't plan to sell it anywhere else.

I posted before that GameStop will be carrying it. I believe it will also come with a Google Play Giftcard, the same as if you bought it from the Google Play Store. Also GameStop wis running a 30% trade in bonus towards the purchase of the Nexus 7. But there is a $50 pre-order minimum. This is what i heard from one of my local GS stores.

#51 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

I posted before that GameStop will be carrying it.

Yeah, that's why I was asking about Amazon. Not interested in dealing with Gamestop.

Thanks though. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
Posted Image

#52 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

Interesting that gamestop will be carrying it. I am debating buying it. I would like to get into android development but it's still a $200-250 chunk of cash for me.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#53 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Does it seem like this thing is going to force other "name" manufacturers (Samsung, etc) to get more affordable with their tablets? I really don't know a damn thing about Android tablets in general, but I looked at the Galaxy Tab 2 and it's around the same price for the same screen size (albeit at a lesser resolution) and allows you to use microSD cards, but the base amount of space you get (less than 5GB after bloatware) is pretty weak and the hardware itself doesn't quite stack up power-wise.
Posted Image

#54 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

The beta for Chrome is already over, still no flash. For whatever reason Google, and I guess Adobe, seem to be siding with Apple on this one, and I don't get why. Like I said Google ,owns Youtube and Youtube still uses flash, it makes no sense. And the final nail in the coffin is that since Adobe is no longer developing the mobile flash player, they're not updating it for 4.1 Jellybean.

So yeah, I'm about to lose flash on my GN when it updates in the near future.

Google can't "build flash" into Chrome, because is solely developed by Adobe. Nobody else can develop it. It's proprietary and everybody is dependent on Adobe to do it right. YouTube uses flash, but it works well on mobile devices via HTML5. You can use the YouTube website without Flash - you don't have to use the YouTube app. It works well.

Crunchewy.png

#55 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Google can't "build flash" into Chrome, because is solely developed by Adobe. Nobody else can develop it. It's proprietary and everybody is dependent on Adobe to do it right. YouTube uses flash, but it works well on mobile devices via HTML5. You can use the YouTube website without Flash - you don't have to use the YouTube app. It works well.

Mmm, it's el goog's decision on whether or not their browser will support it. They've made the decision that Android beyond ICS will not support flash. This despite the fact that you can still install the .apk (not from the play store though) and get flash to mostly work with browsers other than Chrome.

#56 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Mmm, it's el goog's decision on whether or not their browser will support it. They've made the decision that Android beyond ICS will not support flash. This despite the fact that you can still install the .apk (not from the play store though) and get flash to mostly work with browsers other than Chrome.

My understanding was that it was Adobe who decided to stop developing mobile flash. I could be wrong, but that was how I read it. Also I'm sure Google has some or all of the same reservations that Apple had with it, in spite of their early support. So I suppose it could have been the other way 'round - Google tells Adobe they aren't supporting it, so Adobe pulls the plug on it. I don't know.

Crunchewy.png

#57 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Adobe decided to stop developing it (whether they were influenced in that decision I don't know), but google decided that Chrome wasn't going to support flash anyway. Yes, it is up to them decide whether or not it will support it, because even with flash installed, it won't work in Chrome that I know of. I still think it was a bone headed move, lots of flash videos still get embedded on sites (like the one we're currently on). They need to hurry and get Youtube to HTML 5 only, if they want to leave flash behind.

#58 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Probably they will. It mostly works on HTML5. I think there are still some videos you can't access, but most stuff is there. And for not getting all those annoying ads that pop up on top of the videos, it's totally worth it to view the HTML5 site and leave out some of the videos.

Crunchewy.png

#59 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Decided I'm going to get one...now the problem is finding it. I slept on pre-orders and now Staples, Gamestop, Sam's Club, and Google themselves are all backordered. Google guesses 2 weeks for shipping with others slightly longer.
Posted Image

#60 skinsfan56la

skinsfan56la

Redskins Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Decided I'm going to get one...now the problem is finding it. I slept on pre-orders and now Staples, Gamestop, Sam's Club, and Google themselves are all backordered. Google guesses 2 weeks for shipping with others slightly longer.

Fuck google play store. I'm still waiting on any information about my order from July 3rd. People who have ordered July 9th already have it in their hands. What the Fuck is this nonsense?! I can't even cancel my order. You can even go on neogaf and hear the same complaints. So my further advice is never order any device on google play.
Posted Image
R.I.P. Sean Taylor.