Gaming Stores Houston, Tx

ryuk1214

CAGiversary!
Didn't see a recent thread so I made this on.

So, today I drove to 4 local Thrift Stores. Between the four of them, they had (which I bought none of):
Dreamcast w/o wires ($25)
X-Men Sega Genesis (2.98)
Tennis NES ($2.98)
Dreamcast controller ($3.98)
Gamecube in horrid condition ($8.98)

In short, I need to find good spots for buying games. Mom n' Pops, Thrifts, Flea Markets, even Pawn Shops that are good for gaming finds. I am looking primarily for retro (3rd-5th Gen) and secondarily (is that even a word???) for Call of Duty, bro nope, just retro games, systems, swag, and places that I can go to 1-2 times a month and still find good, solid, deals on nice games.

Any leads, like locations, any games you've gotten with a rough recollection of the prices you paid for 'em, sales in a mom 'n pop, anything. I have nowhere to build my retro collection except for ebay and listia, and that's going nowhere pretty damn fast.

Oh, and despite the city of Houston being an extremely small city where I can walk from one end of it to the other in an hour, I'm going to give you a rough idea of where I live: it'sGreater Houston I'm not telling you, you potential murders. But yeah... East Houston, Magnolia area, Greater Houston, Harris County... not too sure of where I live myself haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can travel to league city (south of clear lake) there was a microplay store there. Last time i was there, maybe four years ago, they had a mint neogeo pocket and some other great finds.

[quote name='drysushi']If you can travel to league city (south of clear lake) there was a microplay store there. Last time i was there, maybe four years ago, they had a mint neogeo pocket and some other great finds.[/QUOTE]
I stay here procrastinating my workout and watching random youtube videos for that reply? LOL thanks really but last I saw microplay doesn't sell retro anymore. Don't feel like driving that far for something I can get at best buy.

[quote name='mitch079']Haven't been to it yet but Game Over Video Games sells for all systems - http://www.gameovervideogames.com/

Hwy 59 between Edloe and Buffalo Speedway
3281 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027
713-664-OVER (6837)
Store Hours:
Mon-Sat 11am-9pm; Sun 12pm-7pm

There's also GamesPlus - http://www.gamesplusus.com/pages/Locations.html[/QUOTE]
Thanks, sounds great and organized, it might be be cool to spend a Sunday there seeing as they do tournaments, speed runs, etc. At the very least I will be donning a silver mask, blue cape and sword and be chanting "yadayadayada" around the store on Super Smash Bros. day to get 25% off on their inventory.

EDIT: Their pricing of games, however, is complete Gamestop.

I swear I look up my regional section at least 10 times a day to see new replies :p I still need good Thrift store locations, and maybe a Pawn Shop or two that tend to have good, cheap games/systems. Looking to get a PSPGo now, and still need quite a bit of n64 games before I hit the 100 n64 game mark.

Just moved here a little bit ago and already miss Disc Replay in the Midwest. They had what I described as "ebay minus shipping" prices. This seems more like boutique retro game pricing, unfortunately.

SI

I usually visit all of the thrift shops, pawns, and flea markets on the East side of Houston (where I live) and all of Pasadena, and times Texas Medical Center (where I work) and most of them just suck outright but I do have some secret locations where I can get great oldies games for cheap.

Usually its best to hit up pawn shops but sometimes the manager goes off the range and start pricing them with ridiculousness gusto.

I remember one time, found me a green N64 complete in box almost looks new and well taken cared of, then I ask the manager, how much for the N64? a few keystrokes later, $75 "wait, what?! never mind" then I saw what is on the computer screen by the reflection of jewelry cases, eBay.

Pro Tip: ALWAYS haggle at pawn shops, the price labeled is the suggested price, for instance game priced at $8 dollars counter with $5 + tax or $6 taxes included, you wont believe how fast they jump on that, just dont get stupid about it.

Pawn shop employees, managers, or owners that dont want to haggle, then it aint a real pawn shop it just became a used emporium shop, its just best to leave.

[quote name='EnronLackey']I usually visit all of the thrift shops, pawns, and flea markets on the East side of Houston (where I live) and all of Pasadena, and times Texas Medical Center (where I work) and most of them just suck outright but I do have some secret locations where I can get great oldies games for cheap.

Usually its best to hit up pawn shops but sometimes the manager goes off the range and start pricing them with ridiculousness gusto.

I remember one time, found me a green N64 complete in box almost looks new and well taken cared of, then I ask the manager, how much for the N64? a few keystrokes later, $75 "wait, what?! never mind" then I saw what is on the computer screen by the reflection of jewelry cases, eBay.

Pro Tip: ALWAYS haggle at pawn shops, the price labeled is the suggested price, for instance game priced at $8 dollars counter with $5 + tax or $6 taxes included, you wont believe how fast they jump on that, just dont get stupid about it.

Pawn shop employees, managers, or owners that dont want to haggle, then it aint a real pawn shop it just became a used emporium shop, its just best to leave.[/QUOTE]

East side? Where you at? I'm over in CE King by Channelview/North Shore.

You must be my competition at these shops.

[quote name='EnronLackey']I usually visit all of the thrift shops, pawns, and flea markets on the East side of Houston (where I live) and all of Pasadena, and times Texas Medical Center (where I work) and most of them just suck outright but I do have some secret locations where I can get great oldies games for cheap.

Pawn shop employees, managers, or owners that dont want to haggle, then it aint a real pawn shop it just became a used emporium shop, its just best to leave.[/QUOTE]
This man... needs to give me his secret locations o3o

All monotonous kidding aside, I've niche'd in some yard sales, but the rain will be ruining me for a couple more days. I will go out of my comfort zone and start haggling at pawn shops, but will try places I know and "bundle" stuff, training my brain with Pawn Stars lol. I'm East Side, too, unfortunately.

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']East side? Where you at? I'm over in CE King by Channelview/North Shore.

You must be my competition at these shops.[/QUOTE]

Ahh no worries, you're too far east, Im at East Downtown Houston in the Loop area

but never going to give up my secret locations .. hehe

yard sale on the east side of town arent that great .. being in the barrio, all the Tex-Mex manchild like myself are pretty savvy about video games

[quote name='DurbanBrown']Sw houston here, but i dont buy retro games really... Just saying wassup[/QUOTE]
wassup?

Damn rain for the whole week, I'm 14 and gotta mow lawns to feed my gaming habits DX
Good thing my brother owes me a good chunka change that I'll be getting on the 19th :)

Anyone remember the old GameProz store on Uvalde? Buddy of mine ended up buying it, renaming it Press Start, but Gamestop put him out of business within a few years. I remember being 16 and ordering my import copy of Fire Pro Wrestling:6 Man Scramble for Saturn from there.

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']Anyone remember the old GameProz store on Uvalde? Buddy of mine ended up buying it, renaming it Press Start, but Gamestop put him out of business within a few years. I remember being 16 and ordering my import copy of Fire Pro Wrestling:6 Man Scramble for Saturn from there.[/QUOTE]

I actually remember the place since they used to rent games there in the early days. They used to give out a card and you would collect punches for every game you rented, earning you a free rent! Sadly, the place got robbed and they only sold games afterwards :cry: Scumbags :bomb:!!!

Didn't Press Start move near I-10, by James Coney Island?

[quote name='Garza007']I actually remember the place since they used to rent games there in the early days. They used to give out a card and you would collect punches for every game you rented, earning you a free rent! Sadly, the place got robbed and they only sold games afterwards :cry: Scumbags :bomb:!!!

Didn't Press Start move near I-10, by James Coney Island?[/QUOTE]

No, they moved a little further down Uvalde on the other side of the street and then went out of business. Gamestop killed them.

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']No, they moved a little further down Uvalde on the other side of the street and then went out of business. Gamestop killed them.[/QUOTE]
We used to have a Gamecrazy and a Gamestop on the same street. Gamestop put them outta business and it was really sad, they actually did retro because I found reciepts of them selling me a NES Messiah and SNES in 2007. Did not even remember that.

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']No, they moved a little further down Uvalde on the other side of the street and then went out of business. Gamestop killed them.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah! I remember now! I bought the strategy guide for FF8 there, back when dial-up was all we had... Well, NetZero and it was only the free 10hr monthly trial.

But yeah, Uvalde had some good places to find games! Funcoland, EB Games, Press Start. Now its BB and Amazon for me!

Anyone been to GAMESPlus? I've managed to find a couple gems there and they have a couple locations. The one I go to though has just terrible employees. It's right next to my local Best Buy so I can't help popping in there every now and then. The real reason I dread stepping foot into the store is that you can literally smell the years of nerd sweat and shame when you walk in.

bread's done
Back