Photo
- - - - -

$5 off pre-owned product $9.99 or more when you convert your Game Informer to digital

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 jupiterjones

jupiterjones

WHAT THE CUSS!?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Just renewed PUR in-store during the B2G1, and the guy offered to sign me up for the digital version. Glad I passed on it then - a free coupon is worth the hassle of something I barely glance at anymore anyway.

Jupiter_Jones.png

Check out my blog on music, gaming, wrestling, movies etc etc. It doesn't totally suck!

http://abloggymess.com/

#32 JMClarkent

JMClarkent

I Cheap what I Sow

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

I would be so much more willing to get on board with digital formats if companies would recognize that they should cost less. Yes, they still have to pay the writers, subjects, etc (though ads are supposed to help with that too). But there's no manufacturing or distribution costs at all. Instead, they use it as a way to cut corners and increase profit, and pretend that we're too dumb to notice. I 100% understand the reasoning for going digital, but at least be honest about it.

Agreed, 100%. $5 coupon on used (which drives business to the store and would come off of your most profit friendly product, anyway) would be a good start.

That being said, Gamestop isn't competitive. For the 1st time since the late 90's I haven't even made the $15 investment back.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill"...

#33 klimb22

klimb22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

They automatically switched me when I renewed my subscription. Haven't read it since, because I haven't bothered setting it up. You have to link your account and do all this other BS. While I do like reading news online, reading it in a magazine format is cumbersome. Would rather have it laid out in a blog style format or just get a physical magazine. Was really annoyed at first, but pretty much stopped caring.

Same here in March, without my knowledge. After noticing I didn't get my issue the next month I inquired on my next GS visit. Told me that they will automatically switch you to digital when you renew unless you specifically ask to stay getting the print version. Told me to go on the mag site and fill out the form to switch back. Never did since I barely read them anyway. Fill out the form to switch back to print today and will switch back to digital before this promo ends.

#34 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

lol am i the only who likes the magazine ?

Kind of.

I do enjoy reading it and some of the exclusives they have but the level of writing bothers me, some of it is written by a third grader while others seem to try hard to throw in big words. The reviews can be OK but I usually take them with a grain of salt as I rarely agree but that's usual with me.

Also, I understand they must get a lot of hate mail and they're trying to be funny but it has always bothered me how rude they are to just about everyone who writes them a letter. Just overall they don't seem to be that professional and appreciative considering they have pretty cool jobs.

#35 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

I would be so much more willing to get on board with digital formats if companies would recognize that they should cost less. Yes, they still have to pay the writers, subjects, etc (though ads are supposed to help with that too). But there's no manufacturing or distribution costs at all. Instead, they use it as a way to cut corners and increase profit, and pretend that we're too dumb to notice. I 100% understand the reasoning for going digital, but at least be honest about it.

Agreed.

what really bugs me is when companies talk about how you'd help them go green and save the environment - BS, they just want to cut costs. Don't lie, just tell me, it's not shocking that companies care about money, it's not like anyone would be surprised at this.

#36 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

I kinda collect them

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#37 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

I may have to do this

#38 Tygamr

Tygamr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

Also, I understand they must get a lot of hate mail and they're trying to be funny but it has always bothered me how rude they are to just about everyone who writes them a letter. Just overall they don't seem to be that professional and appreciative considering they have pretty cool jobs.

The way they respond doesn't seem any different than the writers for other video gaming magazines. I've read several, and they all seem to make snarky, sarcastic comments or jokes at the expense of the sender- unless the letter is about something that really resonates with them/they agree with, or something that they never thought about before, something that opened up their eyes. Nintendo Power comes to mind. When I used to read it, they would constantly make jokes that were very hit-or-miss.

#39 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

Same. The magazine gods took Blender from me im not giving this one up just yet.

Sad day in my world as well, I understand.

#40 kburns10

kburns10

You Gots to Chill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

I did this for free just so they would stop filling my trash. Boo.

Agreed. I'm not even reading these anymore so this is a good deal for me. I can filter and get a free $5 off coupon.
Posted Image

$60 for FIVE kick ass games? With a BUNCH of extras?

And some of you are COMPLAINING about the price?

Youre not a CAG, just a CMF!! lol

#41 GoVols

GoVols

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

Can someone post a link that takes me to where I can see what kind of subscription I currently have?
Nobody Beats A SuperCAG Deal!!! Nobody!!!

#42 nietzsche74

nietzsche74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

Does this mean that I'd have to read the full reviews from "The Score" section?

#43 sayu

sayu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

Why are you people throwing your magazines away right after reading them? Do your libraries not take them?

Such a waste. I lived off of 10 cent magazines in the pre-broadband days.

#44 Psychonik

Psychonik

Psychomancer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:14 AM

Wait there's a non-digital form of game informer? I'm sorry but I'm not going to read a digital magazine which is why I was pissed I didn't got with best buys reward program.

#45 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

I don't understand why GS will automatically sign you up for digital. They need to realize that some people are always on the computer at work and don't feel like looking at a damn screen again once they get home just to look at a magazine.

#46 Paladinion

Paladinion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

im keeping the physical copy because I like getting something in the mail that doesnt say "Final Notice" on it.

#47 leylines

leylines

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

I don't understand why GS will automatically sign you up for digital. They need to realize that some people are always on the computer at work and don't feel like looking at a damn screen again once they get home just to look at a magazine.

It's vastly cheaper and most people don't actually read the magazine anyway regardless of form.

#48 Buuhan1

Buuhan1

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

My local GameStop didn't know a thing about this. Is it live? Not instore?

http://www.youtube.com/KyleFedora

Posted Image
Backloggery

I'm 34 years old, and damned it, I want my freaking half-undressed anime chick.

In for 12 to afford a dozen roses for my body pillow Kimiko.

#49 IronsideGrunt

IronsideGrunt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

:lol: My exact thoughts!

Heh, and here I thought I was the only one :lol:

#50 thesuzukimethod

thesuzukimethod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

they dont automatically sign you up for digital - at least not universally - I renewed my plus, and GS rep switched me back to paper issue - not necessarily on purpose, he just didnt ask and that was apparently the default...

it took a month or two to get it switched back (i did it online)

#51 infiniteHorizon

infiniteHorizon

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

no thanks.

#52 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Why are you people throwing your magazines away right after reading them? Do your libraries not take them?

Such a waste. I lived off of 10 cent magazines in the pre-broadband days.

I usually keep mine for a while but that's a good suggestion - I never knew libraries take magazines. I will check with mine, I'd rather not throw them out if someone could use them.

#53 cagfansub

cagfansub

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Not worth five bucks to give up my toilet reader.

Not to mention that we CAG can really use it as toilet paper as well once the real thing runs out. The smooth glossy paper feels good... :lol:

#54 thenutman69321

thenutman69321

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

lol am i the only who likes the magazine ?

Probably. I don't have any problems specifically with the magazine. My problem is by the time something makes it in the magazine I've read that information half a dozen times on different websites weeks ago.

#55 K_G

K_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Each issue probably costs more than dollar to print and mail.

Back when there was lots of ad money for print ads, printing and mailing expenses were not an issue because the magazine made a ton of money from advertising. Nowadays, most of that print ad money has disappeared and I'm sure that GS is looking at ways to cut expenses. Likewise, recent changes to ABC paid circulation rules now allow electronic editions to count towards paid circulation data, so shifting folks from paper to electronic doesn't knock down their paid circulation numbers (a key number for ad rates). And some folks probably turned down the print magazine because they didn't expect to read it/thought is was waste of paper, but now those folks will likely be given electronic versions automatically, so the paid circ numbers go up from those additions. As result, Game Informer gets a bigger paid circulation number while printing fewer magazines, resulting in significant printing and postage savings. This is clearly evident given that Game Informer's paid circulation jumped a staggering 48% last year

Now GS has probably done the math and concluded that worth the hassle/ad rate hit to convert existing print subscribers to electronic to save money. While electronic editions circulation likely don't have the same value in advertisers minds as the print version, the odds are the printing and mailing savings massively outweigh the ad rate erosion caused by shift towards electronic versions on the limited number of ads Game Informer is getting nowadays.

#56 weeman43302

weeman43302

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Read the OP again. It says you will receive a coupon on the powerup rewards site. You can then print that off and use it in store.

:pc: Titanfall, Minecraft

:360: Deadpool, State of Decay: Breakdown

:3ds: Pokemon X, Adventure Time Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW!

#57 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Should work anywhere - it says you can sign up in store. I'd feel safer doing it online though, you'll have to link your account anyway and this way it's all handled by the website instead of relying on someone entering your info into the computer.

#58 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Add me to the list of people who like having the print copy. Scrolling through it with a mouse or smearing your finger on a tablet is just not the same as flipping through physical pages.

On the plus side, if the print version is completely discontinued, that means my collection of back issues will be worth... er... probably not that much since they deal with ancient games. :(

#59 nietzsche74

nietzsche74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to poweruprewards.com. I just got a new PC...

#60 TheThoughtlessOne

TheThoughtlessOne

Blame Jon Irenicus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

Does the coupon expire?