Photo
- - - - -

Final Fantasy VII (PC DD) w/ Achievements, Character Booster, Cloud Saves for $9.99

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#181 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

IIRC FFVII PC was on 4 discs though for some reason.

The fourth disk is the install one. Same reason why FFVIII PC has five disks.

Incidentally, FFVII International also has four disks. Its fourth has image galleries and other special features.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#182 Wario64

Wario64

Will tweet for @videogamedeals

• Forum Moderator

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

lol, I guess you should have bought it on Saturday. I hope people ignored me.

"This weekend, our teams were testing the product website for the upcoming relaunch of Final Fantasy VII on PC. While the website was being tested in its live state, a small number of people were able to purchase a pre-release build of the game. For those customers, Square Enix will be offering full refunds for the purchases and for their inconvenience, a free version of the classic Final Fantasy VII on PC when it is launched.

We want to thank our community for their continued support and excitement regarding the upcoming rerelease of Final Fantasy VII. We will have more information to share about the launch of this anticipated title shortly."

#183 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

You know, as bad as it sounds. If I was offered a free copy of FF VII, I still wouldn't touch it on PC. Just because of the DRM and stuff. I would rather just buy a PSN version.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#184 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

"This weekend, our teams were testing the product website for the upcoming relaunch of Final Fantasy VII on PC. While the website was being tested in its live state, a small number of people were able to purchase a pre-release build of the game. For those customers, Square Enix will be offering full refunds for the purchases and for their inconvenience, a free version of the classic Final Fantasy VII on PC when it is launched.

We want to thank our community for their continued support and excitement regarding the upcoming rerelease of Final Fantasy VII. We will have more information to share about the launch of this anticipated title shortly."

Dang wish I'd been around this weekend. I totally would have jumped the gun and bought it day 1 only to regret paying for a DRM infested piece of trash. But I'll take a free version of the game especially if they give up and scrap the DRM. (which makes no sense on a game this old)

#185 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

You know, as bad as it sounds. If I was offered a free copy of FF VII, I still wouldn't touch it on PC. Just because of the DRM and stuff. I would rather just buy a PSN version.

Seconded. One guy even said the Securom seemed to be causing issues on his computer even after he uninstalled the game.

Also, I'd have to download and run another client AND Securom with limited activations?

I'll pass even at free.

If anything, this just inspired me to go dig out my old disc copy and go looking for mods to update it. What a missed opportunity because I really wanted to buy it from Square.

#186 Guimengo

Guimengo

Sim and Real Racing + Sports

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Again, links for people who already own FF7 on PC and want to make it look and sound better:

http://www.finalfantasy7pc.com/

http://www.scribd.co...3537207/ff7-fix

htya.jpg

3DS, GameCube, N64, DreamCast, PS1, PS2, PS3, PC, DVDs, iPod: Here

#187 sykotek

sykotek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Eh, it's alright. I was still debating and I'd seriously considered it when I saw it on here, but SecuROM DRM just doesn't make sense for such a basic port of such an old game. Anyone who intended to pirate the game would've done so a long long time ago. I don't like to feel like I'm being punished when I'm purchasing a game. Had potential, but poor execution all around...now, damage control. It could've been free, but I can live without it, especially if it's going to mess up my computer.

#188 dandragonrage

dandragonrage

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Eh, it's alright. I was still debating and I'd seriously considered it when I saw it on here, but SecuROM DRM just doesn't make sense for such a basic port of such an old game. Anyone who intended to pirate the game would've done so a long long time ago. I don't like to feel like I'm being punished when I'm purchasing a game. Had potential, but poor execution all around...now, damage control. It could've been free, but I can live without it, especially if it's going to mess up my computer.

Agreed. If a company punishes me as if I were a pirate from the start, then why would I give a crap about them? I do not buy anything with SecuROM or StarForce or any of the really bad DRM schemes. If it's a game that I want to play, I'm going to play it in a way that does not install SecuROM, StarForce or similar on my PC. Take that to mean what you will. (Again, I do legally own FF7. The old release did not have this BS DRM. And anyone who knows how to download and install a game will know how to apply a DRM-removal patch anyway (or pirate the old version and, again, use the FAR better community patches))

#189 apolloimburning

apolloimburning

I’m Captain Basch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

It's back up, but if you enter a quantity and click "buy" it gives a different error this time. Hopefully this means it will be up soon.

#190 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

It doesn't suprise me at all that something else fouled up when they go to put it back up.

One of the Square reps has been posting on the forums there so I posted a (hopefully) polite expression of my disappointment with this release there. I will probably get a new asshole ripped 8 ways to Sunday by hardcore Square fans but I don't care. I've been a loyal customer of theirs going all the way back to the 80s and I own almost every game Square Eidos has on Steam and some of their mobile games but I just can't support this release at all.

If others feel the same I think it's a good idea to let them know. Nothing may come of it but still I don't want them walking away from this thinking there is no PC market of the game doesn't sell due to their mishandling.

http://na.square-eni...ot_Nothing?pg=3

Robert, I am very, very dissapointed in this release as are others I have talked to.

I am baffled why Square Eidos who has a history of successfully launching quite a number of PC games on the very popular Steam platform chose this route to go with their own client and then lump the problematic Securom with a limited number of activations on top of it.

I purchased the game originally when it was very first released on the PC. I have also purchased many other games from Square Eidos and I in fact bought the entire publisher pack of all Square Eidos games on Steam last year. I also recently purchased Final Fantasy I & III for Android and have been very happy with those versions.

However I will NOT be supporting this release. Paying customers should not be limited in such ridiculous ways, especially for a game so old. I will instead dig out my old disc and search for community mods that update the game.

I really wanted to be excited about this Final Fantasy VII release but instead it's been nothing but a huge dissapointment to me. Some people at your company made some very bad decisions about the release of this game as far as I am concerned. Consider me a customer lost as far as the FF VII re-release goes.

#191 apolloimburning

apolloimburning

I’m Captain Basch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

It doesn't suprise me at all that something else fouled up when they go to put it back up.

One of the Square reps has been posting on the forums there so I posted a (hopefully) polite expression of my disappointment with this release there. I will probably get a new asshole ripped 8 ways to Sunday by hardcore Square fans but I don't care. I've been a loyal customer of theirs going all the way back to the 80s and I own almost every game Square Eidos has on Steam and some of their mobile games but I just can't support this release at all.

If others feel the same I think it's a good idea to let them know. Nothing may come of it but still I don't want them walking away from this thinking there is no PC market of the game doesn't sell due to their mishandling.

http://na.square-eni...ot_Nothing?pg=3

Or, in all likelihood, you will go ignored by SE staff.

#192 Guimengo

Guimengo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

Motoki, I hope your line "I will instead dig out my old disc and search for community mods that update the game" doesn't get the very few sites left to be attacked. Square shut down the awesome remake of Chrono Trigger and have put no money into a new release... I'd not put it past them to go after Team Avalanche.

htya.jpg

#193 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

I think it is back down but I bet it comes with one giant Sephiroth virus that Meteors your hard drive next.

the_it_crowd_moss.jpgdefault.png

#194 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

Should have just released this shit on steam.

#195 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Motoki, I hope your line "I will instead dig out my old disc and search for community mods that update the game" doesn't get the very few sites left to be attacked. Square shut down the awesome remake of Chrono Trigger and have put no money into a new release... I'd not put it past them to go after Team Avalanche.

Why would this happen?

Unlike Chrono Trigger remake this is just modding the existing game, not totally recreating something from the existing IP. I could see if someone was doing FF7-2 or something along those lines then yeah, Squenix smack down incoming.

I figured by now they are well aware of the mods and would have gone after them if they thought they would devalue their IP or the brand name, which they f-up all on their own, but that's another discussion for another time.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#196 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

I figured by now they are well aware of the mods and would have gone after them if they thought they would devalue their IP or the brand name, which they f-up all on their own, but that's another discussion for another time.

Eidos used to poach the server bandwidth of a programmer who made a patch that kept the game from crashing at a certain point; they directly linked to the patch from their support pages without any warning. This person is also the author of asset viewers and save file editors for FFVII PC and FFVIII PC, and hosts forums that are well-known to many modders of those games.

Meanwhile, Square Enix is suspected of including a fan patch with the copy of FFVIII PC that's sitting on Steam's servers without so much as giving a heads-up to the original creator.

I'd say they're well aware of the FFVII/FFVIII modding scene...
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#197 Guimengo

Guimengo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

Nice bit of info there, blueshinra. Much appreciated!

htya.jpg

#198 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:43 AM

Eidos used to poach the server bandwidth of a programmer who made a patch that kept the game from crashing at a certain point; they directly linked to the patch from their support pages without any warning. This person is also the author of asset viewers and save file editors for FFVII PC and FFVIII PC, and hosts forums that are well-known to many modders of those games.

Meanwhile, Square Enix is suspected of including a fan patch with the copy of FFVIII PC that's sitting on Steam's servers without so much as giving a heads-up to the original creator.

Newsflash: fans who work on games owned by corporations are fucking morons. If you don't want your work being hijacked without you seeing a dime, work for the company instead.

EDIT: or don't bother wasting your time.

Edited by Nintendonly, 10 August 2012 - 12:55 AM.

Currently playing:

icon_snes.gif- Nothing, 11m9gn4.png- Nothing
:3ds:- Monster Rancher Advance 2, :psp:- Nothing
:ps3:- Nothing, atari_jaguar.png- Elansar, Pippin01.gif- Super Marathon
Wii_U_platform_icon.png- Ducktales Remastered, 20g0cxd.png- Nothing

#199 Vulgarism

Vulgarism

A living, breathing piece of defecating meat.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:51 AM

Newsflash: fans who work on games owned by corporations are fucking morons. If you don't want your work being hijacked without you seeing a dime, work for the company instead.

Jobless fellow who is good with programming: Hey! Gimme a job please!

Big gaming corporation: No.

Care to explain how it's that easy to just "work for the company instead?"

76561198003985248.png

#200 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

Jobless fellow who is good with programming: Hey! Gimme a job please!

Big gaming corporation: No.

Care to explain how it's that easy to just "work for the company instead?"

I'll finish my point: or don't bother wasting your time.

Currently playing:

icon_snes.gif- Nothing, 11m9gn4.png- Nothing
:3ds:- Monster Rancher Advance 2, :psp:- Nothing
:ps3:- Nothing, atari_jaguar.png- Elansar, Pippin01.gif- Super Marathon
Wii_U_platform_icon.png- Ducktales Remastered, 20g0cxd.png- Nothing

#201 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Meh - I'm waiting for PSOne support on Vita. I'd rather play it portable. I have almost zero interest in playing this on pc.

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#202 Guimengo

Guimengo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:35 AM

I'll finish my point: or don't bother wasting your time.

As a former modder of some F1 games I will say this: It's not a waste of time, people that work on mods and updates do so out of love for the game. They also benefit of having a better product in the end.

Most modders don't work for money because selling their updates would be illegal due to infringing the copyright of the game. In the previously mentioned situations Square has behaved very poorly as they make a financial gain off the modders' work.

htya.jpg

#203 Hestar

Hestar

Artax! Stupid Horse!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:44 AM

Meh - I'm waiting for PSOne support on Vita. I'd rather play it portable. I have almost zero interest in playing this on pc.

Me too man..I don't get wth is taking them so long.
Posted Image

Macklin....you son of a bitch 8-)

#204 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:55 AM

The best examples of this being handled well are Gary's Mod and DotA. Both mods were acknowledged by the original game creator and they gave credit where it's due. Look at Saints Row 2.... That game is a steaming pile without fan-made mods to make it even run right. If someone modded my game to make it smoother or run better you bet your ass I'd be giving them credit (and probably looking at hiring the guy over my current inept employees)

#205 apolloimburning

apolloimburning

I’m Captain Basch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

http://store.na.squa...00#.UCSBM51lTke

I don't think they have any clue what they are doing. It's up AGAIN, yet it STILL doesn't work.

#206 jedimario

jedimario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:56 AM

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

#207 Komentra

Komentra

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:01 AM

PC only. Going to have to install a boot camp partition for this on my Mac but it should be worth it. I can't wait. :D

komentra.png card.png

LAST 3 GAMES FINISHED: Murdered: Soul Suspect, The Wolf Among Us, Outlast: Whistleblower 

CLICK HERE TO JOIN "SUPERPOINTS" AND EARN AMAZON GIFT CARDS (SITE IS INVITE ONLY, THIS IS A INVITE LINK)
(make sure to click the "lucky" button everyday, takes about 3 mins and you can win big sometimes. you also win points when i win points and vice versa)

#208 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:02 AM

So am I just supposed to pirate the game? Jesus H Christ
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#209 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

As a former modder of some F1 games I will say this: It's not a waste of time, people that work on mods and updates do so out of love for the game. They also benefit of having a better product in the end.

Most modders don't work for money because selling their updates would be illegal due to infringing the copyright of the game. In the previously mentioned situations Square has behaved very poorly as they make a financial gain off the modders' work.

I am sure some modders wouldn't mind if their name was included in the game if Square did decide to use it for money. I mean fans make fan patches because they love the game but want it to be better because the previous people didn't fix shit with the game like SR2.

I guess Square can legally not give credit because there is probably some clause stating that they can, but come on. How you can sleep at night knowing that your passing someone's else work as your own without giving credit.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#210 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

I am sure some modders wouldn't mind if their name was included in the game if Square did decide to use it for money. I mean fans make fan patches because they love the game but want it to be better because the previous people didn't fix shit with the game like SR2.

I guess Square can legally not give credit because there is probably some clause stating that they can, but come on. How you can sleep at night knowing that your passing someone's else work as your own without giving credit.

Microsoft has been doing this for years.... And Sony has every legal right to claim it as their own work because technically the modding community breaks the agreement that comes with buying a copy of their game. However, that doesn't morally make it the right thing to do.