CAGcast #289: In Window Veritas

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]The gang discusses The Amazing Spider-Man (movie & game), Spec Ops: The Line, Cheapy's Steam problem and oh so much more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]198[/podcast]
Download - 1 hour 8 minutes, 41MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Get your free audiobook at Audible![/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Super Snooper - Metroplex/Bruticus Commercial

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! New CAGCast! Forgot all about expecting one. My eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store when I saw this.

11 more until the exciting 300th!

I agree with Wombat, if you can do it cheaper, it's not worth it. Get some pencil and paper, and even those instruction books, a kid can learn to read and write in no time, especially with parental supervision.

What a beautiful day....the sun is shining, it's Friday, and there's a new CAGCast. Does life get any better?! The correct answer is NO!

9:45 Amazing Spider-Man (movie)
12:00 21 Jump Street
16:45 New Releases
16:45 Spelunky
21:30 Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends
22:00 Theatrhythm
22:30 Secret World
23:00 Endless Space
23:40 Legend of Zelda / Nes Golf on Virtual Console
24:00 Amazon PC download sale
24:00 Spec Ops
27:15 Syndicate
28:15 Kingdoms of Amalur
32:00 Amazing Spider-Man (game)
38:00 THQ gives Devil's 3rd rights to Itagaki
38:45 Android Console
39:45 Hypewagon: Transformers Fall of Cybertron
43:45 Sony buys Gaikai
45:30 New Slim PS3 rumor
46:45 More Transformers
48:00 Apple stuff
48:15 Small Ipad rumor. Or a rumor about a big Iphone that can't make calls.
50:45 CSR Racing
52:00 Mass Effect Infiltrator
53:15 Fisbee Forever II
55:30 Where the *#$& is the Steam Summer Sale
57:00 Cagcast Livestreaming?
58:00 Vita opinions
61:00 Sega HD rereleases
62:15 Upcoming pc games
62:30 Desk stuff
64:00 Anything good coming out this summer?

Deadlight isn't Shadow Complex. It's more like Limbo from what I've heard.

I don't think asking for every PSN developer to port their games to Vita is very realistic. They are bringing mobile games to Vita. If Cheapy wants a ~$5 Vita game, check out Stardrone Extreme for $4.

If memory serves, The Dinobots were built by WheelJack after they crashed on Earth. I'm not sure how they are going to work Grimlock into the game. Time travel perhaps???

[quote name='ObiBen']If memory serves, The Dinobots were built by WheelJack after they crashed on Earth. I'm not sure how they are going to work Grimlock into the game. Time travel perhaps???[/QUOTE]

Yeah, apparently in the cartoon the Dinobots were built on Earth. In the comics, however, they began on Cybertron. Transformers lore is a mess.

I am still baffled with the talk about handheld gaming when the Vita and 3DS talk came up. I agree that the main games for the system should be top priority, but I don't think a big fuss needs to be made for the iPhone/Pad like games for it. Nobody buys the iPhone/Pad for gaming. It's a different type of device with gaming as an added bonus, while the Vita and 3DS are gaming first and foremost. And let's face it, there's plenty of games on the PSN in the price range Cheapy asked for, and even more, there are deals every week on games to bring them down to that price range as well. There's plenty there, I just don't think those type of gamers are willing to spend the kind of money the Vita is asking to play those games specifically.

And I don't know why anyone should have that much more faith in the games coming out for 3DS like Luigi's Mansion, the new Mario, Animal Crossing, etc. There's already Mario games out for it with Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, you have Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Starfox 64 3D (not new, but so many people want to replay these again apparently), Kid Icarus: Uprising (apparently another game people were looking forward to release?...), and an offshoot Pokemon game (Rumble Blast or whatever). I personally don't see why anyone should be more excited to run out and play any game that's coming out for it based on what is already out. Why would anyone be more eager to play New Super Mario Bros 2 over Super Mario 3D Land? And I know everyone loved Luigi's Mansion so much that they were clamoring for a second...

While I'm sure these games will cause more systems to be sold, I don't think it will be doubling the sales anytime soon and I'm not sure why anyone would think the sales of the 3DS will be flooded with new customers because of these games. There's nothing really "new" coming out that would cause customers to suddenly want one if they weren't already swayed by the games already out for the system.

i agree with cheapyd on the transformers game i want a g1 version already or just sell all the damn skins whatever id pay for it for the chance to use g1 starscream ( of course id ike the g1 voices too i hated the new starscream voice). also the combaticons were way better than the constructions fucking bruticus was the shit. and if you go by the cartoon the dino bots were made by wheeljack but i believe the comics have it different but the videogames are loosely using the established stories.

[quote name='lokizz']i agree with cheapyd on the transformers game i want a g1 version already or just sell all the damn skins whatever id pay for it for the chance to use g1 starscream ( of course id ike the g1 voices too i hated the new starscream voice). also the combaticons were way better than the constructions fucking bruticus was the shit. and if you go by the cartoon the dino bots were made by wheeljack but i believe the comics have it different but the videogames are loosely using the established stories.[/QUOTE]

The voice of Starscream/Cobra Commander sadly passed away in 1994.

[quote name='shipwreck']The voice of Starscream/Cobra Commander sadly passed away in 1994.[/QUOTE]

yeah i know he was one of my favorites on both cartoons i was hoping theyd find someone who was near enough to him or maybe use some tech skills and piece some sound bits together. damn shame but even without him its annoying they keep denying people a complete g1 experience. id pay for it willingly like the 80s sheep i am.

Not much to add to this week's show. Kind of zoned out during the PC talk and especially during that Transformers confusion, but it was still entertaining as always.

While I agree that mobile games like Mass Effect Infiltrator make logical sense on a handheld system, price-wise these games would never try to compete with their iOS/Android counterpart. You'd have one game that costs $.99 on the iPhone and the same game that costs $9.99 on the Vita and consumers will pick the cheaper option every time.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yeah, apparently in the cartoon the Dinobots were built on Earth. In the comics, however, they began on Cybertron. Transformers lore is a mess.[/QUOTE]

There was a great article on The Verge a couple of months ago that touched on how the developers worked Grimlock and the Dino-Bots into the Fall of Cybertron story line.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...on-dinobots-transformers-cybertron-activision

It is definitely a good read for anyone interested in the game and Transformers in general. I am really looking forward to Fall of Cybertron and was excited to see the release date moved up.

My favorite part of the podcast was Cheapy's disbelief that Wombat didn't want an iPad. It was like telling a Jehovah's Witness you don't believe in god.

Great show. I am sorry Wombat but an iPad is much better learning device than a $2 book but a $500 iPad is too expensive for a young child to play with.

Also Theaterhythm is a great game btw.

Very entertaining, guys. I agree with Cheapy about the iPad. Interactivity is key to learning, and a lot of the apps out there do a great job with that. That being said, Wombat is the parent, and the parent makes the final decision on what's best for his/her child. This is coming from a teacher and a parent. To those of you saying that a $500 iPad is too expensive for a child to play with, yeah, you're probably right. However, I'd like to see you try to keep it from your kid (or wife :)

I agree with wombat on the ipad being a learning tool for toddlers. You could buy a shitty pc and a bunch of cheap software for a fraction of an ipad's cost. You could even just buy one of the leapfrog handhelds or something like it for far less.

Sometimes I think cheapy forgets life before he moved to a deluxe apartment in the sky.

[quote name='banodyne']Thanks bickle for doing Cheapy's job.[/QUOTE]

If Cheapy were to send bickle a free game or something, I think that would be well deserved.

[quote name='banodyne']Thanks bickle[/QUOTE]

You're quite welcome, I'm glad it's helpful!

[quote name='shipwreck']Yeah, apparently in the cartoon the Dinobots were built on Earth. In the comics, however, they began on Cybertron. Transformers lore is a mess.[/QUOTE]
I read the way were making the dinobots and insecticons work, was that they were making them test subjects of Shockwave's experiments for stronger alt modes by examining lifeforms on other planets, and and this case, it was pre-historic earth.

For me the mobile games (iphone/android) will never surpass the enjoyment hand on a nintendo handheld system. Main problem i have is the overheating a lot of it causes on the devices and draining of battery life. But I do appreciate what iphone gaming brings to many people. I'm just not one of them.

Oh and on the new spider-man film. I really like Andrew Garfield as an actor (I recommend watching Boy A to you guys)....... But it's just way too soon after the last trilogy. I think they are using the villain this time that 'Raimi' wanted to use in the 4th one of his???

Btw Great podcast as always :)

I'm really digging all the PC talk on the cagcast. I also purchased a gaming PC this year and have been blown away by all the crazy deals that amazon's been having. I was able to build a decent game library within a month and not even spending over 50 bucks to do so. but I did spend quite a bit on the PC. so i guess it evens out? but yes, it's been tough going back to play on my consoles. playing games on the PC makes you realize how dated the consoles are at this point.

[quote name='M_Wrizzle']I really like Andrew Garfield as an actor[/QUOTE]

I was pretty worried about him in the role. My only previous exposure was a Dr Who episode where he was beyond horrible. Did well in Spidey though.

"Japanese Internet is too fast for America to handle" is nonsense. Never had Cheapy's problem on my 100mb connection in California. I routinely download games that are 6GB or larger and even bluray rips that are 8-20GB in only a few minutes. Only thing I can think of is that Cheap's ISP initiated IP Flood Protection. They probably thought Amazon saturating the connection was a Denial of Service attack.

Personally for me, Episode 289 is a fond one an instant classic, and one of the best episodes in a long time. Excuse me while I nerd out.

There were multiple things I had knowledge of in this cast and it’s great because I responded to everything you guys talked about; nothing more so however than the spectacular/ultimate spider-man discussion. Ultimate is geared towards children ‘lighter’ as Wombat said, while this is all fine and dandy, we should find a balance between being ‘lighter’ and being a kiddy show. Spectacular was way more reminiscent of the 1992 animated series (which both kept violence at a minimum while being of a very high quality of work.) As such when this stronger (or ‘darker’ by Wombat’s standards) there is a wider interest than something that is quite literally directed towards children. The reason we cry foul when talking about Ultimate is that Marvel takes way to many liberties with its animated shows, and not just with Spider-man (ie. Avengers: EMH getting canned for one more in line with the films, and Wolverine and the X-Men)

War for Cybertron, and Fall of Cybertron are both intended to begin a sort of renaissance for the transformers series. Along with the most recent television show (On Netflix Transformers Prime), the creators of Transformers intend on creating a more orderly or ‘cleaner’ cannon, with these games and shows (the next film is also set to be created in this vain.) This is being done to fix-up the notoriously difficult canon of the Transformers universe, perpetuated by comic books, movies, a multitude a shows & games, and of course toys.

Fan-boy aside, I agree with Shipwreck 100% about the Vita. Everything on PSN, the original PSP, all the minis, and PS1 classics should all be playable from day one. Not having those features literally leaves the system bare. 3DS on the other hand has really bounced back. Between the lack of focus on 3D and the avalanche of games that are soon to be available ONLY ON 3DS, is what’s making the system.

My Condolences to you Shipwreck for your Grandmother.
Honor her memory by getting a couple 40's and bumping some NWA in your new Caddy.

Also one margarita? Mrs. Shipwreck sounds like a lightweight XD lol

I agree with Wombat regarding the feasibility of getting an iPad for educational purposes when they are so expensive but I also agree with Cheapy that they are a great educational resource.

However, the majority of schools will not be able to afford a fleet of iPads and a child using one to aid their early cognitive development could well be detrimental to their fine motor skills (e.g. how to hold a pen and how to control their hand to form letters whilst using it) if it is not supplemented with other more manual activities.

There is a huge amount of time invested into research and theories on learning styles within the current educational climate and although the theories do differ from each other, the general consensus is that each child will learn best in differing ways to each other.

There is a place within a child's learning for both, but developing an early adoption of technology would be a of benefit to the child. In the UK children as young as 3 years old have their ability to control a mouse and type monitored.

However the counter effect of this dependency of technology is the number of pupils aged 10 that do not know how to use a library or how to find information within a book because of their reliance on search engines to find the information for them.

bread's done
Back