Console War 2012: Status of forces

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Console War 2012: Status of forces

This is a long and interesting article about the 3 hardware manufacturers' current strategies and what they have lined up for the future. I'll post an excerpt about each company:

Microsoft is probably looking at holiday 2013 for a new console launch. It may be more than one version, with perhaps a subsidy from a cable company or a payment-over-time plan as an option. The technical goal will probably be to get 60 fps games at 1080p resolution, with reasonable storage options for downloaded content. This may require expensive hardware, but Microsoft is probably prepared once again to lose hundreds of dollars on each unit if needed to get the price down far enough to drive rapid adoption.
Sony's ambition is similar to Microsoft's: gain control of the living room. Sony would love to see its TV line become a profit center instead of a huge albatross. (Sony's recently announced deal with Panasonic to create reasonably priced OLED TVsreasonably priced OLED TVs for late 2013 is a step in this direction.) Sony recently bought out Ercisson and now completely controls its smartphone destiny. Sony's Android tablets are in the market but not attracting much attention. Meanwhile, Sony still has an impressive music and movie business, with properties just waiting to be sent to an array of Sony and other devices.
Many aspects of the Wii U launch remain unknown or unsaid. Nintendo hasn't announced a price yet, perhaps evaluating reactions and hoping for a break on exchange rates. NintendoLand may be bundled in with the Wii U, or it may not. Will the Gamepad be the only controller in the box with the Wii U? We don't know. Will there be some digital content included as well? No one knows. We don't even know the technical specs of the machine, or the amount of storage for games that it comes with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article. I take exception to this quote, which they thought was clever enough they pasted it on the side of the article in a huge font:

Maybe we'll see an end to Microsoft Points, which can join Nintendo's Friend Codes in a special circle of hell hosted by Clippy

Friend codes, yes. But MS Points I love - if they get rid of them entirely and go to a direct pay CC-only type approach, then that means no discounts upon discounts (by buying sale games with sale MS points). I love MS points as I have been able to get some 1600 points cards for as low as $3 (Blockbuster clearance last year). A minor point in the grand scheme of the article, but since they chose to highlight that quote, I chose to disparage it ;).

Glad somebody read it, at least! yeah, I'm with you on the MS Points. The general public hates them, but deal hunters love 'em. Too bad we can't make the point about discounts better understood to the masses.

bread's done
Back