Barnes & Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale - 7/10-7/30

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 supershammy

supershammy

Hand-rolled and ice cold.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

Get ready, here it comes! B&N is having their bi(tri?)annual 50% off Criterion sale, starting 3AM on 7/10 (online, obviously), and at opening on 7/10 for B&M. It will end on 7/30.

Expect YMMV luck with utilizing coupons in conjunction with this sale, although 90% of the time members succeed. Coupons have come in all flavors during this sale in previous years, so it's up in the air what we are in for this go around. Coupons are said to be most frequently posted in this thread at DVD Talk.

Also expect to be able to use your B&N membership 10% off in-store discount in conjunction with this sale, or expedited shipping when ordering online.

Do not expect to be able to preorder movies using this discount (although I have been able to in the past, but only half the time).

So what are you guys looking for? I'm gonna get The Killing, Rushmore, The 400 Blows, For All Mankind, Anatomy of a Murder, Branded to Kill, Summer With Monika, Three Colors, Cul-De-Sac (maybe), Close-Up....

Edited by supershammy, 10 July 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#2 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

House
The Magician*
Solaris
Summer with Monika*
Summer Interlude*
World on a Wire
Smiles of a Summer Night*
Fanny and Alexander*
The Virgin Spring
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
Belle De Jour

That is my current plan, provided nothing comes up.

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#3 ChadThyJuggla

ChadThyJuggla

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

I will definitely be stopping by B&N this week to see what I can find. Last time I was there I saw they had a rather large selection of CC BLUs. I have a few titles that I'm interested in. Would love to get the Samurai Trilogy during this sale.

#4 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Why do they always do this sale 2 weeks before a new release I want?

#5 bizman316

bizman316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

For me the only definite thing I am getting is the Samurai Trilogy on blu-ray. Two other possibilities are Cronos and Last Temptation of Christ

#6 battra92

battra92

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Why do they always do this sale 2 weeks before a new release I want?

Yeah, I'm going to pass as the only thing I want at the moment is The Gold Rush. I also want Lonesome but that doesn't come out for a another month and a half yet.

#7 Turbojugend

Turbojugend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Wow, I had no idea The Samurai Trilogy was even released on Blu-Ray. Sounds like it's quite the upgrade from DVD as well. I may have to bite on this.

#8 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Wow, I had no idea The Samurai Trilogy was even released on Blu-Ray. Sounds like it's quite the upgrade from DVD as well. I may have to bite on this.

Review for the curious:

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/40561/#Review

For me, it's looking like Samurai Trilogy and World On A Wire so far. Not sure what else.

#9 Easystride

Easystride

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Getting the Late Ozu Eclipse set for sure. And then either House or The Gold Rush on blu-ray to get free shipping. Haven't decided which blu-ray yet since I like both movies.

#10 supershammy

supershammy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

I'm so fucking amped they are releasing Fincher's The Game! Too bad it's so far out (Sept 25th).

#11 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

I'll pick up Harakiri on Blu. I have the Kurosawa AK 100 Box Set, but I still might get Seven Samurai on Blu Ray.

Also, let me recommend The Hit. A really underrated gem and it's on the lower end in terms of Criterion pricing at 30 bucks MSRP, so 15 with this deal. One of my favorite movies ever. John Hurt is great, and Terence Stamp and Tim Roth are very good.

Hopscotch was also surprisingly very VERY good

#12 MacbethVII

MacbethVII

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

Heads up! A few titles have already dropped to the half off and are stacking with the buy 2 get 1 free deal!

#13 electricsleep

electricsleep

Prof. Hinsley

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

awesome just got an order in. Glad I checked this thread before I went to bed. thanks for the heads up

#14 Nesmaster75

Nesmaster75

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:01 AM

I also just placed an order for a few I wanted. Thanks for the heads up OP and MacbethVII!
Posted Image

The O.C Re-runs on Soapnet
Remember The Black Donnellys? How about Saved?

#15 MacbethVII

MacbethVII

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:08 AM

Sure! I grabbed the War Room, John Malkovich, and Samurai Trilogy for 55 bucks!

#16 electricsleep

electricsleep

Prof. Hinsley

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:13 AM

I picked up Branded to Kill, Tokyo Drifter and Sanbiki no Samurai all on blu-ray. Did they remaster the Samurai Trilogy for blu-ray? I remember the audio and visual quality of the DVDs was pretty bad for Criterion standards.

#17 Nesmaster75

Nesmaster75

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

I picked up The Great Dictator, The Gold Rush, and The 39 Steps. I'm REALLY thinking about also ordering 12 Angry men, Rushmore, and Charade.
Posted Image

The O.C Re-runs on Soapnet
Remember The Black Donnellys? How about Saved?

#18 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

Quick question, is anyone getting confirmation emails from them? I'm not. i never ordered from them before. I created an account and the order I placed doesn't even appear under order status. I did get a Paypal confirmation e-mail, but nothing from them and order doesn't show up under My Orders or Order Status. I would like to place one more, but just want to make sure this isn't out of the ordinary

And thank you MacBeth

#19 gojiboy

gojiboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

I just got a "Your order is scheduled to ship" email for each of my orders.

#20 The Questyen

The Questyen

formerly gothamcentral79

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

Stuff I plan on getting:
The 39 Steps
And Everything is Going Fine
Bottle Rocket
Gray's Anatomy
Harold and Maude
The Last Days of Disco
Metropolitan
Sweetie
Tiny Furniture
Traffic

Now Playing: Bioshock Infinite (replay) (PS3) / Shovel Knight (Wii U) / To the Moon (PC)

Recently Finished: Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS4) A / Entwined (PS4) B- / Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS4) A- / Kentucky Route Zero Act III (PC) A-

#21 rapsodist

rapsodist

My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

The B2G1 stacking has ended. I managed to nab 15 titles just before B&N corrected their mistake:

The 39 Steps
Being John Malkovich
Breathless
Close-Up
The Double Life of Veronique
For All Mankind
The Gold Rush
La Jetee/Sans Soleil
Last Year at Marienbad
Late Spring
The Magician
Pale Flower
Summer with Monika
Vivre sa vie
Yi Yi

I got their standard "scheduled to ship" e-mail; tomorrow will tell whether this actually goes through!

#22 supershammy

supershammy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

You lucky motherfuckers.

#23 UNDERSTAR

UNDERSTAR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hope my 3 orders for that B2G1 doesn't get cancel. Did get the email that about the order confirmation.

#24 bizman316

bizman316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Yeah I got in on the buy 2 get 1 free. I got the samurai trilogy, cronos, and last temptation of christ. I also was able to get a visa 15% off the highest priced item to work. Not a bad deal!

#25 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

I put in 9 orders(!) last night on the B2G1. If they go through, they should cover most of what I want from this sale, other than the Samurai Trilogy (there weren't any other similarly expensive titles that I wanted, so holding out in hopes of a coupon for that one) and a few titles that aren't out yet which are being released during the sale. Got "scheduled to ship" messages for all of them, but no shipping notices yet, so we'll see...

#26 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Oh, you lucky bastards if you had the 50% off sale and B2G1 stacking on numerous orders and they don't get cancelled. :wall:

#27 Turbojugend

Turbojugend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Did they remaster the Samurai Trilogy for blu-ray? I remember the audio and visual quality of the DVDs was pretty bad for Criterion standards.

Based on what I've read, they did remaster it and it is a great improvement.

#28 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Oh, you lucky bastards if you had the 50% off sale and B2G1 stacking on numerous orders and they don't get cancelled. :wall:

Realistically, it wasn't a lot cheaper than it will be if they offer up a 20% off member coupon (+ member discount, of course) at some point during the sale, which they likely will. It was a whole lot less effort/time/gas, though, so that was nice. :D

#29 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Realistically, it wasn't a lot cheaper than it will be if they offer up a 20% off member coupon (+ member discount, of course) at some point during the sale, which they likely will. It was a whole lot less effort/time/gas, though, so that was nice. :D

I have a 15% coupon that they sent me via BN Buzz, though not sure if it's in-store or online. Have to check and see and use it in the appropriate location. ;)

I think my wants this time around are a bit less than previous sales, mainly since I think I have everything I wanted from the Criterion 50% off sale, plus some random sales on Amazon.

#30 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

I think my wants this time around are a bit less than previous sales, mainly since I think I have everything I wanted from the Criterion 50% off sale, plus some random sales on Amazon.

Heh, yeah, I specifically held back on those other sales because I knew that waiting for the B&N sale would be a better deal. :) Means that I had a lot to pick up this time, though, since they seem to have really ramped up the blu-ray release schedule. Surprising too how few of them this time are complete blind buys, and how many are titles that I really specifically want.

There's some rumor over on blu-ray.com that there will be another "mystery coupon" promotion later this week (rumored dates are 7/12 to 7/15). So it might be worth holding off on buying too many for now. (Though if my B2G1 orders go through, I don't really mind having paid a bit more for them, because of the effort/time/gas saved.)