Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#481 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

I wonder if there's a point where they could actually start losing money as people donate...Kickstarter takes 5% right off the top, and Ouya needs to spend money on these rewards. As of right now, of the ~24k backers, ~21k are in the "Get a console + controller" tiers. If they're selling the hardware at cost (let's include shipping there), any money gained from those tiers goes right back out the door when the ship the units. They could in theory reach a point where Kickstarters fees take all the money earned from every other tier.

'Course, they are getting a ton of publicity out of this.

The thing is too that the more publicity and backers this gets the more they can raise money from other sources. The banks that told them they were not viable before are more likely to give them a loan now with 30,000-50,000 customers and $5+ million in hand(thats if they even want a loan). They also will have a much easier time finding investors that Josh seems to think they need for legitimacy. They have all the tools they need financially in front of them now, so its just a matter of do they have a smart team that manages both their money and the development wisely.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#482 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

What a ridiculous argument. You think "an open console would be great", even though you've posted:

Which clearly states you don't.
Not to mention, you followed that up by referencing Diablo 3 proving the PC isn't 'open', which just shows your lack of understanding of what open and closed systems are.

It's quite clear, based on all your posts, you also have an irrational dislike of Kickstarter. I mean, you state:
"My concern is mostly from the perspective that an open console would be great but I also want it to be done right. This company is basically asking US to fund their attempt at this."

Listen, that's the entire POINT of kickstarter. To get projects underway that have demand (we, the people) but not necessarily big name investors.

"If they fail do you think it will be tried again?"

Was it ever tried before? Kickstarter is part of the reason it IS being tried.

People keep saying you just piss on everyone else's parades, and honestly, it's absolutely true. You named yourself well, because you post as if you're a cancer.

And I haven't even bought into this system, mostly because I don't have a spare $100. But your negativity and vitriol throughout, combined with your misunderstanding of basic terms like 'open' and 'closed', is just a sad, sad, thing to read.

First off, my name is cancerman because I work on the development of cancer drugs...so unless you have saved a life shut the Fuck up.

Second my point of an "open" console is different from the "open" ecosystem I was referring to. They will have their own store. It will have to be managed. It will NOT be an open system. It cannot be. There will have to be rules in place to protect the developers investment. You may be able to do what you want with the hardware but their software will still be a closed system.

Third, this type of idea HAS been tried before. If you look back several people have pointed out products that are either on Kickstarter or in development like the Evo2.

Fourth, I have contributed to several Kickstarters. Double Fine and the Wasteland ones to be more specific. I do not have an irrational dislike of the concept. Launching a game and a console are completely different beasts. Microsoft spent 500 million on launching the Kinect and more on the original xbox...this is the kind of stuff this concept is up against.

Edit: I also never personally attacked anyone during my arguments so you may disagree with what I say and I may have a few facts wrong but I am at least not an ass like you taking swipes at my character.
Posted Image

#483 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Edit: I also never personally attacked anyone during my arguments so you may disagree with what I say and I may have a few facts wrong but I am at least not an ass like you taking swipes at my character.

I'm not taking swipes at your character. I'm telling you that you come off as constantly raining on people's parades throughout this thread.
I don't care what you do for a living, and I wasn't insulting that. I was telling you that your personality IN THIS THREAD is a complete downer to read.

Get over yourself. I referenced your username on a internet gaming site. That's not a criticism of you as a person, nor your job. It's is, however, saying that i find it ironic you sound like a cancer in this thread.

EDITED: and in case i need to be clear, by 'cancer' i mean the general definition of the word,not the biological one -- "a condition that spreads destructively' -- as in, you are consistently derailing this thread with your negativity. and i don't care what the hell you do for a living, 'saving lives' is not a pre-requisite to post opinions.

#484 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Is there any other situation in which you'd buy a new console, sight unseen, with only those who had a hand in its creation ever having access to it? No preview events , no review process, nothing. You only have an ideal and the creator's glowing remarks to go off of. I know it's only $100, but $100 is still $100. Imagine if you had bought Molyneux's recent games based only on his development commentary. Of course I'm not dictating how people spend their money, but this seems like a neat, if limited concept with a slick marketing angle that screams appeal to emotion of tired gamers in the midst of the longest console generation, yearning for anything different. But to each their own and it's not like it's failing. They already have 3 million and I see an Ouya defense force already forming in this very thread.

#485 Monkeydrummer

Monkeydrummer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Imagine if you had bought Molyneux's recent games based only on his development commentary.

Project Ego is going to be so sick!!!! Oh wait. :cry:

Somewhat not really related : True Fantasy Live Online Kickstarter. Make it happen!

#486 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Is there any other situation in which you'd buy a new console, sight unseen, with only those who had a hand in its creation ever having access to it? No preview events , no review process, nothing. You only have an ideal and the creator's glowing remarks to go off of. I know it's only $100, but $100 is still $100. Imagine if you had bought Molyneux's recent games based only on his development commentary. Of course I'm not dictating how people spend their money, but this seems like a neat, if limited concept with a slick marketing angle that screams appeal to emotion of tired gamers in the midst of the longest console generation, yearning for anything different. But to each their own and it's not like it's failing. They already have 3 million and I see an Ouya defense force already forming in this very thread.

The hardware specs and the OS make it easy to draw comparisons to hardware already in the market to get a very good idea of what this will be capable of. It's more like launching a spec-locked PC than launching a console in that regard.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#487 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Sorry, that JoshCohen999 guy was Flying Frog, who's in the temp ban house for trying to be king troll around here. Sent him packing as well. That's why the post count in the thread shrunk a bit.

#488 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Get over yourself. I referenced your username on a internet gaming site. That's not a criticism of you as a person, nor your job. It's is, however, saying that i find it ironic you sound like a cancer in this thread.

[/COLOR]

I love how a dissenting opinion is somehow a cancer now. Better toughen up buddy. In my line of work if someone is not disagreeing with you then you are doing it wrong. People are excited and that is great, but if you cannot listen to reasons why it might not be that excited there is the ignore button. This was never a "deal" thread to begin with so I never treated it like one. There can be debate without hurt feelings. I never called anyone stupid for spending their money. That is their choice. I am just expressing my reasons for not.

#489 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

$3M in 24 hr.

Makes me thinking I might just back out of my pledge... since they don't need me, and it's most likely it'd be cheaper and better later...

Have a good read of the awesome FAQ by AtlanteanMan.
weapon05.gif
Come checkout the DAISENRYAKU discussion thread.
Show your support to bring more of this awesome strategy title to North America!

#490 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

$3M in 24 hr.

Makes me thinking I might just back out of my pledge... since they don't need me, and it's most likely it'd be cheaper and better later...

Won't lie, I'm considering it since I'm not sure I have 100 bucks to just throw on this right now, but I feel like it would be kind of shitty to pull out of this at this point.

#491 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Won't lie, I'm considering it since I'm not sure I have 100 bucks to just throw on this right now, but I feel like it would be kind of shitty to pull out of this at this point.

Part of me feels I should pull out and play it safe but a big part of me also feels that this is an opportunity to put my money where my mouth is and as a consumer say something. I am not delusional and believe that it is likely this is a revolution, but for every million this project raises the better the chance the next gen of games wont run us $600 for the console and $80 for the games.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner

#492 htz

htz

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

Its not like they post your name in the public for everyone to see that you backed out. If your not feeling that its worth it, you will just be disappointed further down the road when you can't back out. They already have enough money to make this console a reality.

#493 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Its not like they post your name in the public for everyone to see that you backed out. If your not feeling that its worth it, you will just be disappointed further down the road when you can't back out. They already have enough money to make this console a reality.

Do they though? This supposedly gives them plenty to make a prototype, actually launching a console and putting it in stores costs way more than a few million. I really question this seemingly arbitrary goal, what is it based on in the first place? A few million for investment in something like this is chump change. Otherwise we'd probably have a lot more consoles than just the big three.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#494 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Plus just the idea of getting Steam to work on it sounds really cool.

I'd sooner put OnLive on this than Steam (I'm assuming you're talking rooting it -> installing Linux -> installing Steam for Linux). 1GB ram puts it at the minimum system requirement for many games....and well below the minimum for others (Bastion, for example, requires 2 GB). The internal flash storage is only 8GB too. Even indie games seem to start in the 150-200 MB range, with many additional needing over 1GB. Depending on how easy it is to expand the memory/flash storage, may or may not be worth it.

In terms of whether to back out or not...I see Kickstarter as a gamble. You lock your money in once the funding period is over, and can't get it back. If the specs get slashed or reviews come out unanimously calling it crap, you're screwed.

As far as "sending a message" is concerned...the real message gets sent whenever console makers/developers start losing money because of this.

#495 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

For those with an Android 4.0 device, are there any existing emulators for S/NES, N64, GB/C/A, Genesis? In any case, I'm thinking I can already play all the emulators I want on my computer or my PSP, why pay for a new way to do old thing?

At this point, I am worried that the specs of the OUYA doesn't seem that great especially with only 1Gb RAM. It is true that I don't care too much about graphics but then again, would the Ouya really going to have titles that would not be just as well ported to other consoles that I already have (Xbox live)?

I'd rather wait a year and pay a little more. I worried that the launch machine we'd get will very quickly be replaced by something that is more meaningful in the long run.. think iPAD#..

The more I think, the more I lean towards pulling out...

Have a good read of the awesome FAQ by AtlanteanMan.
weapon05.gif
Come checkout the DAISENRYAKU discussion thread.
Show your support to bring more of this awesome strategy title to North America!

#496 Schildkrote

Schildkrote

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

I stand by the idea I stated earlier that if you have faith in the project and are willing to watch your money disappear with no return, then backing is fine. It's your money, do what you want with it, right?

At the same time...three million dollars. Damn. How many people could be living in real homes eating real food instead of panhandling on the street if that had gone to an actual charity instead of an imaginary video game console? Blows my mind to think about it.

#497 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

The more I think, the more I lean towards pulling out...

This is a rule for life right there...sorry I know I know.

#498 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

For those with an Android 4.0 device, are there any existing emulators for S/NES, N64, GB/C/A, Genesis?

Do all the "-oid" emulators work on Android 4? I assume they do but I haven't been able to test, I'm stuck on 2.2.2 for the forseeable future (Fuck you, Metro PCS). SNesoid, Genesoid, NESoid, GBAoid, etc. They have performed well on my very average phone so I'd assume they'd work well on this console.
Posted Image

#499 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

At the same time...three million dollars. Damn. How many people could be living in real homes eating real food instead of panhandling on the street if that had gone to an actual charity instead of an imaginary video game console? Blows my mind to think about it.

Exactly. People are far too concerned with stuff that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really mean much of anything.

They are proud as peacocks because they have the biggest most obnoxious HDtv and the most expensive car, when the bare minimum would have sufficed.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#500 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

I stand by the idea I stated earlier that if you have faith in the project and are willing to watch your money disappear with no return, then backing is fine. It's your money, do what you want with it, right?

Shrike as long as we are banning trolling posters can we add this guy to the list ;) Even if he isnt trolling for the sake of trolling he is shitting on everyone for nothing other then personal amusement. Pretty damned similar.

#501 PopCall

PopCall

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

To answer your question - probably about 0. You simplify an overly complex problem with your mind blowing.

#502 PopCall

PopCall

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Exactly. People are far too concerned with stuff that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really mean much of anything.

They are proud as peacocks because they have the biggest most obnoxious HDtv and the most expensive car, when the bare minimum would have sufficed.

I love my big TV. Who wants to live the bare minimum? I work hard, so I'll take some upgrades in life.

It's all personal perspective regardless.

#503 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

I love my big TV. Who wants to live the bare minimum? I work hard, so I'll take some upgrades in life.

It's all personal perspective regardless.

True.

Posted Image

#504 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

$99 backers are slowing down in day 2 as compared to day 1. Nice to see that the elite developer special $1339 backers are increasing though. I may not be backing this project but I sure will be keeping an eye on its development.

My money will go into game deals for now.

#505 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Don't feel shitty about pulling support; they've got plenty of cash coming their way. Regardless, you don't need to justify pulling support, because it's your money, use it when you need it.

This post brought to you by J.G. Wentworth.

#506 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

:lol: Guerrilla

Those are insane commercials and very memorable.

Posted Image

#507 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

My son and I read this thread last night when they were at $1.5M, thought about it, then went to bed.

I'm having my coffee this morning and my wife says to me, "Have you gotten into this OuYa thing yet?". I almost spit out my first sip. She read about it in the Christian Science Monitor this morning where there's a full write up about it. This is a woman who's played 2 games with me for the entire 18 years I've been married to her and she asks me about a videogame console first thing in the morning? The momentum must just be getting started on this thing.

I just looked at the Kickstarter page and it's DOUBLE what is was the same time last night. I promptly ordered myself $99 worth of tweakness bliss for my 50" HDTV. Screw paying $60 for new release games. Ive been burned too many times. Stop fooling yourselves that these games are the shiznit because they're on a Sony or an Xbox. They're the same games you've been overpaying for - for almost 2 decades.

As a developer, it makes sense to market directly to the consumer. No publisher, no licenser, no distributor, no retailer, no physical product - only $$$. The ability to take on smaller projects, to take more risks, and to make more games. I'm not seeing a downside here, except being left with a portable $99 box I can hook up to every TV in my house and play entire libraries of emulated games. Having AAA titles released for it is like a bonus, fringe benefit.

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#508 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

My son and I read this thread last night when they were at $1.5M, thought about it, then went to bed.

I'm having my coffee this morning and my wife says to me, "Have you gotten into this OuYa thing yet?". I almost spit out my first sip. She read about it in the Christian Science Monitor this morning where there's a full write up about it. This is a woman who's played 2 games with me for the entire 18 years I've been married to her and she asks me about a videogame console first thing in the morning? The momentum must just be getting started on this thing.

I just looked at the Kickstarter page and it's DOUBLE what is was the same time last night. I promptly ordered myself $99 worth of tweakness bliss for my 50" HDTV. Screw paying $60 for new release games. Ive been burned too many times. Stop fooling yourselves that these games are the shiznit because they're on a Sony or an Xbox. They're the same games you've been overpaying for - for almost 2 decades.

As a developer, it makes sense to market directly to the consumer. No publisher, no licenser, no distributor, no retailer, no physical product - only $$$. The ability to take on smaller projects, to take more risks, and to make more games. I'm not seeing a downside here, except being left with a portable $99 box I can hook up to every TV in my house and play entire libraries of emulated games. Having AAA titles released for it is like a bonus, fringe benefit.

This is CAG. What the Fuck are you doing buying games for 60$?

The downside? Have you looked at the specs? Its a PSP. You know that the PSP comes with an adapter that puts the screen on your TV? It also looks like complete ass because when you see those graphics blown up you see every jagged edge, every blurry texture, every half assed low poly model.

Smaller projects? Prepare for as much shovelware as every kid can throw at it.

Do you own a computer? You can already hook up a box to your TV and play entire libraries of emulated games.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#509 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

It shouldn't - people panhandling is not even remotely an issue of having vs. not having money. You can bet your butt they have a chance every day to get a free meal and a place to sleep, yet they chose not to. Consider that.

Truth is, that $3 million WILL feed and house many people - the hardware and software creators and developers, people who work for the manufacturing company and their families, and on and on. They could could give it all up, but they don't. Consider that, too.

#510 majorscud

majorscud

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

This is CAG. What the Fuck are you doing buying games for 60$?

The downside? Have you looked at the specs? Its a PSP. You know that the PSP comes with an adapter that puts the screen on your TV? It also looks like complete ass because when you see those graphics blown up you see every jagged edge, every blurry texture, every half assed low poly model.

Smaller projects? Prepare for as much shovelware as every kid can throw at it.

Do you own a computer? You can already hook up a box to your TV and play entire libraries of emulated games.

A PSP?!?! Please tell me where I can get a PSP with a Tegra 3 and 1gb of ram for $100. I'm pretty positive this thing blows away the Vita let alone the PSP.