Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#511 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

A PSP?!?! Please tell me where I can get a PSP with a Tegra 3 and 1gb of ram for $100. I'm pretty positive this thing blows away the Vita let alone the PSP.

in terms of power, The Vita wins I think(or ties?) but the ouya has more ram. For sheer value? yes it wins! I still think I'm going to wait and buy the final product for the same price. Its not that I don't think they will release it, I just think that it will be in the air on how the games turn out. Will we be seeing the EA mobile quality games, And stuff like Shadowgun and fieldrunners P v Z? or will we be seeing a lot of Gameloft and Zynga type stuff with the occasional indie hit??

If I have to use the touch screen for most the games because no one is making direct ports for the Ouya, it will be pointless for me.

Just becuase its possible, doesnt mean it will happen
EDIT: just watched the video and closer to buying in.
PS3, 360, Wii, DS,3DS, Vita
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#512 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

Many companies already make Android devices without crowdfunding...

I don't understand this project. I already have a Tegra 3 Android tablet with HDMI out and Xbox 360 wired controller support. This thing they are soliciting funding for already exists.

#513 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

No, you have a tablet, and I bet it's either lower specs than this, or cost at least 3 times as much.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#514 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

It costs more, but Tegra 3 devices have come down in price. See the Nexus Tablet for $200.

The point is, I'm already playing Madfinger Games' Shadowgun on my television with an Xbox 360 controller. You don't need crowdfunding to get the price of a product down. Companies already do that through competition. By the time this thing is out, Tegra 3 devices that do the exact same thing will probably be $100 everywhere. In January the Transformer Prime was $500. Nexus tablet just came out at $200 (though there are other differences that get the price down further).

#515 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

take the tablet screen out of the equation and you just made it 100$.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#516 J7.

J7.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

I don't think there'll be much cheating in Farmville or Maple Story.

Those won't be the kinds of games people buy this for. Seriously, how will they combat piracy and cheaters with this completely open console meant to be hacked?

#517 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

Those won't be the kinds of games people buy this for. Seriously, how will they combat piracy and cheaters with this completely open console meant to be hacked?

Ouya has it's own proprietary App store that all apps that you want to use must be purchased from. Can't use apps you already own through Google Play or Amazon. While the hardware itself is open, meant to be hacked, free to root, the software seems more closed than conventional Android software.

#518 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

They are probably working their butts off right now and getting thousands of emails, tweets, and phone calls, but please throw us a bone. I've already seen two independent forums for OUYA that aren't official. If they would answer some questions, I would be more satisfied and secure in giving them money.

#519 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

This will undoubtedly be the Phantom: Part 2 with the exception of it actually seeing a release. It's a nice, niche toy for a few months, then, poof, it'll vanish into thin air.

"Oh hey, Lars, what's this?"
"Oh, nothing. Just something I thought was neat at the time."

What the console aims to do is respectable, though, but let's take off the rose-tinted glasses.

#520 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

This will undoubtedly be the Phantom: Part 2 with the exception of it actually seeing a release. It's a nice, niche toy for a few months, then, poof, it'll vanish into thin air.

"Oh hey, Lars, what's this?"
"Oh, nothing. Just something I thought was neat at the time."

What the console aims to do is respectable, though, but let's take off the rose-tinted glasses.

What you mean to say is lets all think exactly like you do.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#521 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Nearing $4M wow!

I cancelled my pledge, will wait to see how it does after launch.
Have a good read of the awesome FAQ by AtlanteanMan.
Posted Image
Then post in the DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:
http://community.us..../thread/3416427
Show your support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!

#522 gmoneyftw

gmoneyftw

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

They tweeted me earlier and told me to check the main page.

My Randy Savage joke is on the front page of the testimonials now lol. Oooh Yeah!!! @sodoubleoggood

#523 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

They tweeted me earlier and told me to check the main page.

My Randy Savage joke is on the front page of the testimonials now lol. Oooh Yeah!!! @sodoubleoggood

@fourzerotwo... A new console, for $99, that is designed around a free-to-play open source model. I support everything about @playouya

Engadget... “Gamers are craving something different, and if the Ouya is a success, it could usher us into a new golden age of gaming...”

@Daddygamer... @playouya you're becoming the people's console. PC World... “Is the $99 OUYA the Video Game Console for the 99 Percent?”
@SoDoubleOGGood... What would Macho Man Randy Savage's favorite gaming console be? (if he were still alive) #OUYA oooh yeah!
Gamasutra... “People have been clinging to the same game consoles for several years, and are wanting something different.”
Cyathem from Reddit... “I’ve wasted $100 on stupid things. This actually looks cool.”
And more... Kotaku! The Guardian! Joystiq! Forbes! GameSpot! BusinessWeek! The Verge! Wired! IGN! The New York Times! Time!

Wow they are over $4 million dollars in 2 days, and they have the media talking about them everywhere right now.

#524 ihadFG

ihadFG

Adamustache

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Here's a good Ouya article by Ben Kuchera that's worth a read for anyone considering pledging money:

http://penny-arcade....u-should-be-ske

#525 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Kind of feel like a jerk, but once I really thought about it, I realized that I want a little more information on the system, like even a few games to entice me before I jump all the way in. I guess I shouldn't have been so impulsive, but I'm sure they'll be fine without my $99.00

#526 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Here's a good Ouya article by Ben Kuchera that's worth a read for anyone considering pledging money:

Good read that I agree with on all parts.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#527 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

Good read that I agree with on all parts.

Same here, gave the article a read and I agree mostly on it. I still have a whole month to decide if this is worth it though. Its only been 2 days, hope they will be able to give more info before the kickstarter ends.

#528 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Yeah he is saying (with actual other people's quotes) what many of us dissenters have been saying. No way this thing see the light of day by March.
Posted Image

#529 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I liked the article and it made some good points though I have to disagree with the Indie developer. If you have a closed platform like a console and have something like the Ouya the higher percentage and a platform they can optimize helps them compete graphicswise more favorably with a bigger company. This is the better choice as opposed to them looking at ensuring compatibility across the general PC platform.
All this being said, for all of you so excited, where the Fuck were you in pledging money to see the Indrema get out instead? Yeah that's what I thought. That had a better model as far as I'm concerned since you could get games on physical media as well.
edit: I wouldn't be surprised if most of the money being pledged here was used by Kickstarter to fund the development costs of "Shadowrun Returns".
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#530 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Things have simmered here but the Kickstarter is at 4.2 million. I believe that makes it the largest one ever.
Posted Image

#531 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

I thought the largest was ~7mil for some sort of watch thing.

fs_overall.png

#532 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

Things have simmered here but the Kickstarter is at 4.2 million. I believe that makes it the largest one ever.

I thought the largest was ~7mil for some sort of watch thing.

http://www.kickstart...one-and-android

Momouchi is correct, but it raised over 10 million.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#533 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

http://www.kickstart...one-and-android

Momouchi is correct, but it raised over 10 million.

I stand corrected...still has a chance at that though.
Posted Image

#534 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

I'm a bit concerned about their games survey. Less than half the games could be considered indie games, while the others are mostly AAA titles from major publishers. I don't mind major publishers (for the most part), but I thought the emphasis here was on indie, hacking and retro gaming? Besides that, and pardon the skepticism, but why are Skyrim and similar system-intensive games listed as suggested games to bring to OUYA? Those would be great goals, but how feasible is it given current system specs?

I admire their enthusiasm, but worry about the hype. Also, the standard "GET AN OUYA" level doesn't have any special kickstarter bonus, and is stated to cost the same as retail... I might have to reduce my pledge and see what actually comes of this. If it fails, I'll save $90 and put it toward a custom-built media center.

#535 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

I'm a bit concerned about their games survey. Less than half the games could be considered indie games, while the others are mostly AAA titles from major publishers. I don't mind major publishers (for the most part), but I thought the emphasis here was on indie, hacking and retro gaming? Besides that, and pardon the skepticism, but why are Skyrim and similar system-intensive games listed as suggested games to bring to OUYA? Those would be great goals, but how feasible is it given current system specs?

I admire their enthusiasm, but worry about the hype. Also, the standard "GET AN OUYA" level doesn't have any special kickstarter bonus, and is stated to cost the same as retail... I might have to reduce my pledge and see what actually comes of this. If it fails, I'll save $90 and put it toward a custom-built media center.

Since the survey was open to everyone, not just people who kicked in money, I'm not sure how seriously you can interpret the results. I can see people who don't understand what this thing really is buying into the hype, taking the survey, and asking for the latest AAA games on a $100 console.

I would probably buy GTA 3 for it if they ported the android version, since I can't stand touch controls, and also would like to see Leisure suit Larry ported over.

#536 MrPiggles

MrPiggles

Better Call Saul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

Judging by the system specs, I think I can safely say that the Ouya will not be able to support PS2 or Gamecube emulators. I don't understand why anyone would buy an Ouya, besides those fooled by their pretty deceptive marketing strategies, since a normal laptop can do pretty much everything an Ouya can and more.

#537 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:03 AM

Ouya's going to be making most of it's money off of it's own storefront. If Squaresoft or Activision wants to put a game on it, turning them away would be like turning away money. Their Indie emphasis was more about how this would be the easiest way for an Indie developer to get their game on a console that hooks up to a TV. Given their competition for that claim is the Wii/360/ps3, it's likely accurate.

And the list...wouldn't be surprising if they just parsed the entries, removed any IP's that are first-party titles for a rival console, and applied some kind of thesaurus to merge entries of the same series. Not much more than a crowdsourced wishlist.

#538 gatornate1503

gatornate1503

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:07 AM

I am really looking forward to this console. App development is something I am wanting to get into. Can't wait till March. I took the $99 plunge!

#539 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

I think that game list demonstrates their deceptive strategies, it makes uninformed people think that the AAA titles might get ported to the OUYA.
Have a good read of the awesome FAQ by AtlanteanMan.
Posted Image
Then post in the DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:
http://community.us..../thread/3416427
Show your support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!

#540 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

The most recent Epic Battle Axe Podcast talked a lot about the Ouya. It was a really good discussion that covered the pros, cons, potential to lose money and every other subject you can imagine. I think they did a very good job of not being over positive or negative and are a shining example of what the discussion SHOULD be on the Ouya vs the bickering in the forums.

http://epicbattleaxe...t-isnt-dubious/

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen