Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
Kickstarter Page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Frequently Asked Questions
News Articles:
http://kotaku.com/5924657/an-all+st...eo-game-console-requires-950000-of-your-money
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/10/ouya-android-based-hackable-game-console/

Well I pitched in $95, I love the concept of this console. Would go great with my PS3 or future PS4.

People behind Ouya:
ouya.png

For backers:
https://twitter.com/playouya
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts
http://www.ouya.tv/

Major Announcements:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/283782
NAMCO BANDAI Games and OUYA are currently in active discussions to bring some of the world's biggest gaming properties to the exciting new open gaming platform. NAMCO BANDAI brings with it a rich history of iconic gaming franchises, from classics like PAC-MAN and GALAGA, to seminal franchises like TEKKEN and Ridge Racer, and we're excited to explore how we can work with OUYA to bring some great titles to the forthcoming console."
-- Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing, NAMCO BANDAI Games America, Inc.
In response to a lot of the feedback we’ve received: OUYA will officially support up to four controllers. After all, what’s the point of playing in the living room if the other folks on the couch can’t join in?
So, while tons of you were super psyched yesterday to hear that we’d support XBMC, many Plex loyalists clamored for Plex support on OUYA. We think they’ll be happy to hear that OUYA will support Plex. Why not try to please everyone?
zappy-ouya-announce-282x300.png

image-145099-full.jpg

image-145100-full.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/283033
That’s right. The award-winning, open source media player and entertainment hub is coming to OUYA. We’ve heard many of you buzzing about a potential OUYA-XBMC hook-up since Day One of launch. (Something of a match made in open source heaven!) Now, with a few hours left in our drive, we’re delivering.

Believe it, friends: XBMC, on OUYA, on your TV, legit.
image-143849-full.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/280510
To that end, we’ve been overwhelmed by interest from developers eager to bring their titles to OUYA. Not all of them can act quickly enough (ahhh lawyers!) for us to announce their partnerships during our Kickstarter campaign. But that’s not slowing down the folks at U4iA. That’s right, the game industry vets who brought you Guitar Hero and Call of Duty will bring us OUYA’s first confirmed first-person shooter, Offensive Combat.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/278237
This morning, we are honored to announce that OUYA is partnering with Square Enix to bring you one of the most beloved franchises in gaming -- Final Fantasy. We will kick this off with Final Fantasy III, which will be a launch title on OUYA. This will be the first time gamers outside of Japan can play FFIII on their televisions through a console.
But that’s not the end of it: We’re promising to deliver Final Fantasy III like you’ve never seen it before – Hironobu Sakaguchi’s third installment in the role playing game franchise will be updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution in glorious graphic detail. For those of you who are new to Final Fantasy, we’ll offer a free demo so you can give it a go!
image-141145-full.jpg

image-141146-full.jpg

image-141147-full.jpg

image-141148-full.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/275869
We know you’ve been dying to see more of OUYA and its controller -- and today, you just might get lucky. ;)
But first, we have some big news... we have been telling you that OUYA can deliver a great gaming experience, and some of you asked about one app in particular. Well, we are proud to reveal...
OnLive is coming to OUYA!
Through OnLive, OUYA will offer hundreds of playable titles from great publishers. Hundreds of games, streamed right to you, on demand. Pretty sweet.
image-138620-full.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/270629
You might recognize Robert from his work with the Call of Duty franchise. Earlier today, from his Twitter account (@fourzerotwo), Robert hinted that he had some news.
Well here it is: OUYA gamers will get FIRST access to the ravaged world of his post-zombie-apocalyptic game, Human Element.
Robotoki is the first studio to commit to building a game exclusively for OUYA: an episodic prequel that will set the stage for his eventual release of Human Element in 2015.
Welcome to OUYA, Robert!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the project doesnt meet its goal, do you get your money back? Also, does supporting the project mean you would recieve one of the consoles once its released?

In for one. I love the concept. If everything else falls through, this will make one heck of an emulator system and even if it doesn't support Android Market, I'm sure there will eventually be a Netflix client and work arounds for loading APKs.

[quote name='roedaniel19']Also, does supporting the project mean you would recieve one of the consoles once its released?[/QUOTE]

From the Kickstarter page:

PLEDGE $95 OR MORE

GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Plus the rewards above. This is for early birds -- we can only offer a limited number at this price. (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.

PLEDGE $225 OR MORE

Kickstarter exclusive. Reserve an OUYA plus two controllers -- each with your username ETCHED into it, so they're uniquely yours. (Same shipping costs, and you also get to reserve your username and get a founder emblem.)

Many more options available if you look on the page.

I pledged $95 for the system + controller, but wanted to pledge an additional $30 for an extra controller. Is it too late? Or can I manually just pledge another random $30 and have them notice and register me for a second controller as well?

[quote name='roedaniel19']If the project doesnt meet its goal, do you get your money back? Also, does supporting the project mean you would recieve one of the consoles once its released?[/QUOTE]
You would have to pledge at least $95 to get a console, but there is only 1000 available (currently half of them are gone). If the project does not meet its goal your money will be refunded. I don't think they charge you until the goal is met or the goal expires, they just put a pending hold on your card.
[quote name='ijustw1n']So the deal is....(please fill in the blank)[/QUOTE]
If you read the 2 articles I posted you will understand that this console is more than worth the asking price. Xbox co-creater Ed Fries is an adviser on the project.
[quote name='Kitoro']I pledged $95 for the system + controller, but wanted to pledge an additional $30 for an extra controller. Is it too late? Or can I manually just pledge another random $30 and have them notice and register me for a second controller as well?[/QUOTE]
Clicking on "Manage your pledge" should allow you to raise your pledge amount to $125.

Hmm, looks interesting. They're kind of building the rumored "Steambox" that Valve was working on. It says that the operating system is Android.

Are AAA games possible on Android? And I mean The Witcher 2, Max Payne 3, etc.

The fact that they're requiring that some of the game be free to play reminds me of the old ID shareware days, where you'd get to play the first act for free then pay for the other 2 acts if you liked it.

I'm not acute in technology jargon but the specs seem decent to me:

Specifications:
-Tegra3 quad-core processor
-1GB RAM
-8GB of internal flash storage
-HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
-WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
-Bluetooth LE 4.0
-USB 2.0 (one)
-Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
-Android 4.0

A concern I have already is will they support third party accessories? The controllers look good but until I'm holding it in my hands for an extended period I have no way of knowing if it'll be comfortable. Also I'm sure many gamers would prefer an option of using a keyboard + mouse to play games with.

I'll have to think about this. Thanks for the post OP.

Edit: 345 of 1000 remaining for the $95 early bird console option. I went ahead and took the plunge.

[quote name='Bosamba']Are AAA games possible on Android? And I mean The Witcher 2, Max Payne 3, etc. [/QUOTE]

It should be great for OpenGL games, so long as the hardware is decent.

[quote name='Bosamba']Hmm, looks interesting. They're kind of building the rumored "Steambox" that Valve was working on. It says that the operating system is Android.

Are AAA games possible on Android? And I mean The Witcher 2, Max Payne 3, etc.

The fact that they're requiring that some of the game be free to play reminds me of the old ID shareware days, where you'd get to play the first act for free then pay for the other 2 acts if you liked it.

I'm not acute in technology jargon but the specs seem decent to me:

Specifications:
-Tegra3 quad-core processor
-1GB RAM
-8GB of internal flash storage
-HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
-WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
-Bluetooth LE 4.0
-USB 2.0 (one)
-Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
-Android 4.0

A concern I have already is will they support third party accessories? The controllers look good but until I'm holding it in my hands for an extended period I have no way of knowing if it'll be comfortable. Also I'm sure many gamers would prefer an option of using a keyboard + mouse to play games with.

I'll have to think about this. Thanks for the post OP.[/QUOTE]
This console is not for everyone, it is not targeted for AAA games, that is what the Big 3 console manufactures are for.

[quote name='Xaliqen']From the Kickstarter page:

Many more options available if you look on the page.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Im at work and dont have the time to read the details.

Do kickstarters take your money right away or only when it reaches it's goal? Because I probably can't afford it until next paycheck, but I don't want to miss out on the early bird system.

I put in for one @ $95. Seems like an awesome project that can't fail since it's open. I don't expect AAA games on it, but it's possible.

android sucks. if it were running a true gnu/linux os like debian (mint, ubuntu) or red hat (centos, fedora) then i'd be all in.

[quote name='ijustw1n']So the deal is....(please fill in the blank)[/QUOTE]

The console is supposed to be $99, so the deal is save $4. ($95 gets you the console, plus a reserved username and unique emblem next to your name) That's of course if you're overlooking the potential of supporting a possibly very revolutionary home console.

I chipped in at the $95 price. I have until the beginning of August to mull it over.

It went from 223/1000 to 175/1000 as I typed this reply. Now it's at 170. 167. 165. Wow.

[quote name='Bosamba']

[/QUOTE]

You can already use PS3 controllers with many Android devices. If they don't work with this out of the box, I imagine that the community will add support.

[quote name='htz']This console is not for everyone, it is not targeted for AAA games, that is what the Big 3 console manufactures are for.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely more powerful than a Wii, probably about equal to a 360 (I don't know the Tegra specs extremely well).

Chipped in at the $95 mark. Seems like an interesting little project. My only concern is that it will just be ports of mobile games, but it could be fun to see what the community comes up with!

I'm not sure how to feel about this one. A console port for mobile games? And are all of the mobile ones free, or do I have to pay extra for future ones?

I like interesting ideas like this, but this is something I'll have to wait and see. If I had to pay more for a console, than so be it.

[quote name='PublikDefender']android sucks. if it were running a true gnu/linux os like debian (mint, ubuntu) or red hat (centos, fedora) then i'd be all in.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you'll be able to run Ubuntu on the hardware unless they have it locked down (and it sounds like they're not going to lock it down).

Especially this part:

Hackers welcome.

Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!

spent 95 bucks...it is going fast, but I think that once the free systems are gone, the funding is going to slow down FAST!!!

[quote name='htz']This console is not for everyone, it is not targeted for AAA games, that is what the Big 3 console manufactures are for.[/QUOTE]

Not to be cynical here but why do we need this then if most of us already have a gaming PC, PS3 and/or 360?

[quote name='tuffguycore']Do kickstarters take your money right away or only when it reaches it's goal? Because I probably can't afford it until next paycheck, but I don't want to miss out on the early bird system.[/QUOTE]

You only get charged if the project makes its goal and when the Kickstarter ends, which means you won't get charged until Aug 9.

Looks like they will need a lot of people to buy in at the $225 level for this to work. Personally, I have my doubts about an Android-based console unless they can convince developers to write directly for it.

[quote name='kab030']I put in for one @ $95. Seems like an awesome project that can't fail since it's open. I don't expect AAA games on it, but it's possible.[/QUOTE]
This is more than a game machine, since the developers allow root access to the OS(They even support hacking and will warranty the machine). This is capable of becoming a media center once hackers get there hands on it, which this console is targeted to in the first place. It is basically a game developer's console like they advertise.

In for 1, 74 remaining. This is going ridiculously fast. I know it's frowned upon but it's possible to cancel your pledge if you change your mind within the month.

I said screw it, I wouldn't mind having a unique console. Even if it fails, maybe it'll be like a Sega Saturn and it'll be worth something in a few years haha.

I think it's cool, I actually have a droid phone, and outside of it driving me crazy because it's old, I like most of the games they have for it.

I think it'll give developers a real tangable reason to develop for Android, which may cause some developers that we see on Steam or iOS may decide to at least do a couple of games. I'm not expecting a Gears of War on it, but some cool indie games would be nice, I know that's all I tend to get on Steam anymore...

Interesting concept, and I wish it the best of luck, but I no longer purchase games without physical media so I'm afraid I won't be contributing.

Looks like they added another pledge of $99 dollars.

5000 open slots for the same reward of the $95

$99 +
GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Guarantee we will have one available for you, before it gets to stores. Plus the rewards above. We're figuring out how many we can make! (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.

(5000 of 5000 remaining)

Est. Delivery: Mar 2013

Tempting.

For.any who don't know, the reason devs like iOS so much is because there is a set of unchanging specs. Every android phone is a little different to much different, so a set of in stone specs would help them know exactly what their game could do without a patch for a bunch of specific hardware configurations. And Tegra already has a dedicated developer base with Tegra only games.

aaand $95 or more tier is officially sold out.

It went from four to five to four to sold out.

Oh, nice, $99 tier.. GO, OUYA, GO!

Wow, I've seen four people cancel their $95 order just by refreshing

Seems a decent price but I know I have no use for ANOTHER version of my android games. However, I'm actually surprised that Google didn't launch this first.

EDIT: How long do you think it'll take for the hacking community to attach a kinect to this thing and make it work with all "touch" games?

[quote name='tuffguycore']I said screw it, I wouldn't mind having a unique console. Even if it fails, maybe it'll be like a Sega Saturn and it'll be worth something in a few years haha.

I think it's cool, I actually have a droid phone, and outside of it driving me crazy because it's old, I like most of the games they have for it.

I think it'll give developers a real tangable reason to develop for Android, which may cause some developers that we see on Steam or iOS may decide to at least do a couple of games. I'm not expecting a Gears of War on it, but some cool indie games would be nice, I know that's all I tend to get on Steam anymore...[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it'll have access to the Google Play Store for Android. If so, there should be some pretty good games available.

the $95 option is going fast. Just got in for one. This console can only be a good thing. You only get charged if they make their goal, so what the hell.

They just added a $99 option which seems the same as the $95. 5000 available, lol. They must not have anticipated all this support so quickly. This went live today? They're already over 15% of their goal.

[quote name='6er']Tempting.

For.any who don't know, the reason devs like iOS so much is because there is a set of unchanging specs. Every android phone is a little different to much different, so a set of in stone specs would help them know exactly what their game could do without a patch for a bunch of specific hardware configurations. And Tegra already has a dedicated developer base with Tegra only games.[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm hoping. I'm really hoping that they make emulation possible on it like they do on Android phones too with Android approved aps for it.

I know the roms would be the trick, but it would be neat nonetheless.

Impulse buy. Kind of irresponsible, since I got caught up in the dwindling numbers and committed before fully reading about the product. But I got in before they sold out of the $95 option.

[quote name='thebert']the $95 option is going fast. Just got in for one. This console can only be a good thing. You only get charged if they make their goal, so what the hell.

They just added a $99 option which seems the same as the $95. 5000 available, lol. They must not have anticipated all this support so quickly. This went live today? They're already over 15% of their goal.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it went live early this morning. I would also like to add that all games will be free (At least a demo for every game released) on this console for those who did not read the articles.

My main issue with this is the storage. 8GB is fine for the apps that you would download for the first year or two. Most apps are rather small. All I am saying is it would be nice if it had a MicroSD expansion so you could add another 32GB of memory if you needed to.

[quote name='windsmere']Not to be cynical here but why do we need this then if most of us already have a gaming PC, PS3 and/or 360?[/QUOTE]

Most of us have a PC, but it's not convenient to hook it up to the TV in our livingrooms. Most of us have a PS3 or a 360, but they're closed systems. This is a system that is open and we can play free or pay games on from the comfort of our couch. Plus, it's small, quiet, and only $100. It's also geared towards games that many of us actually prefer over the big AAA titles...games like those found on XBLA and XBLA Indie section. Basically, it will usher in a new era of $1-$5 games. May even revitalize the sidescrollers and 2d games in general.

And, for $100, people will buy something like this just to tinker around with and hack. ALSO, emulator box w/ hacked on Netflix support for $100 :)

bread's done
Back