Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#31 Auburn

Auburn

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

In for 1, 74 remaining. This is going ridiculously fast. I know it's frowned upon but it's possible to cancel your pledge if you change your mind within the month.

#32 El Toro Fuerte

El Toro Fuerte

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

In at $95

57 left right now.

#33 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

I said screw it, I wouldn't mind having a unique console. Even if it fails, maybe it'll be like a Sega Saturn and it'll be worth something in a few years haha.

I think it's cool, I actually have a droid phone, and outside of it driving me crazy because it's old, I like most of the games they have for it.

I think it'll give developers a real tangable reason to develop for Android, which may cause some developers that we see on Steam or iOS may decide to at least do a couple of games. I'm not expecting a Gears of War on it, but some cool indie games would be nice, I know that's all I tend to get on Steam anymore...

#34 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Interesting concept, and I wish it the best of luck, but I no longer purchase games without physical media so I'm afraid I won't be contributing.

#35 El Toro Fuerte

El Toro Fuerte

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Looks like they added another pledge of $99 dollars.

5000 open slots for the same reward of the $95

$99 +
GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Guarantee we will have one available for you, before it gets to stores. Plus the rewards above. We're figuring out how many we can make! (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.

(5000 of 5000 remaining)

Est. Delivery: Mar 2013

#36 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

They wisely added 5000 $100 tier buy-ins
Posted Image

#37 Auburn

Auburn

Oh wow, project release is March 2013. That's actually not too far away.

12 left~

#38 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Tempting.

For.any who don't know, the reason devs like iOS so much is because there is a set of unchanging specs. Every android phone is a little different to much different, so a set of in stone specs would help them know exactly what their game could do without a patch for a bunch of specific hardware configurations. And Tegra already has a dedicated developer base with Tegra only games.

#39 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

aaand $95 or more tier is officially sold out.

It went from four to five to four to sold out.

Oh, nice, $99 tier.. GO, OUYA, GO!

Wow, I've seen four people cancel their $95 order just by refreshing

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#40 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Seems a decent price but I know I have no use for ANOTHER version of my android games. However, I'm actually surprised that Google didn't launch this first.

EDIT: How long do you think it'll take for the hacking community to attach a kinect to this thing and make it work with all "touch" games?

#41 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

I said screw it, I wouldn't mind having a unique console. Even if it fails, maybe it'll be like a Sega Saturn and it'll be worth something in a few years haha.

I think it's cool, I actually have a droid phone, and outside of it driving me crazy because it's old, I like most of the games they have for it.

I think it'll give developers a real tangable reason to develop for Android, which may cause some developers that we see on Steam or iOS may decide to at least do a couple of games. I'm not expecting a Gears of War on it, but some cool indie games would be nice, I know that's all I tend to get on Steam anymore...

I'm guessing it'll have access to the Google Play Store for Android. If so, there should be some pretty good games available.

#42 thebert

thebert

In The Friend Zone

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

the $95 option is going fast. Just got in for one. This console can only be a good thing. You only get charged if they make their goal, so what the hell.

They just added a $99 option which seems the same as the $95. 5000 available, lol. They must not have anticipated all this support so quickly. This went live today? They're already over 15% of their goal.

#43 jaso

jaso

Requiesce in pace

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Impulse buy. Kind of irresponsible, since I got caught up in the dwindling numbers and committed before fully reading about the product. But I got in before they sold out of the $95 option.

#44 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

the $95 option is going fast. Just got in for one. This console can only be a good thing. You only get charged if they make their goal, so what the hell.

They just added a $99 option which seems the same as the $95. 5000 available, lol. They must not have anticipated all this support so quickly. This went live today? They're already over 15% of their goal.

Yeah it went live early this morning. I would also like to add that all games will be free (At least a demo for every game released) on this console for those who did not read the articles.

#45 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

I would, but I just pledged money to the Penny Arcade kickstarter so that Gabe would think of me during sex. They really do have the best rewards.

#46 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

My main issue with this is the storage. 8GB is fine for the apps that you would download for the first year or two. Most apps are rather small. All I am saying is it would be nice if it had a MicroSD expansion so you could add another 32GB of memory if you needed to.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#47 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

I would, but I just pledged money to the Penny Arcade kickstarter so that Gabe would think of me during sex. They really do have the best rewards.

I expect there to be a lot of really scared ducks after this project launches.

#48 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Yeah it went live early this morning. I would also like to add that all games will be free (At least a demo for every game released) on this console for those who did not read the articles.

Not true. They are saying that this is why social games are working so well. It gives people the full game up front with the ability to add in more via micro-transactions. Since this is using Android I assume it is just going to be the equivalent of a tablet with a wireless controller and HDMI out. Not a bad price for $100, but it will still be limited in what Android ICS can do.

There are free games on Android for sure, but not every one of them has a demo and not everyone of them is free with a micro-transaction model.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#49 Dormin

Dormin

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

95 Sold Out :/

Kamagii.png

#50 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

My main issue with this is the storage. 8GB is fine for the apps that you would download for the first year or two. Most apps are rather small. All I am saying is it would be nice if it had a MicroSD expansion so you could add another 32GB of memory if you needed to.

I think that is what the USB port is for...;)

Not true. They are saying that this is why social games are working so well. It gives people the full game up front with the ability to add in more via micro-transactions. Since this is using Android I assume it is just going to be the equivalent of a tablet with a wireless controller and HDMI out. Not a bad price for $100, but it will still be limited in what Android ICS can do.

There are free games on Android for sure, but not every one of them has a demo and not everyone of them is free with a micro-transaction model.

It is probably going to be a highly customized version of Android like what amazon did with the kindle fire. If you look on the kickstarter page, the UI for ouya looks nothing like android, it looks more like the dashboard on the xbox 360. (Not surprising since the co-creater of Xbox is working for them).

#51 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

USB port for expansion memory to me is useless. I would need to use a USB stick which is more expensive and adds to the "bulk" of the system. Or I would need to use a external HDD which adds even more bulk plus runs slower than flash memory.

I believe the USB port is more for a keyboard or to charge the controllers (if they are rechargable) or for other unknown accessories, not memory.

532919.pngsig.gif

My Trade List

#52 adamical

adamical

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

I'm thinking this will have a hard time reaching its goal.

Even if they sell all 6000 console preorders, that's only $600,000 out of $950,000. They've had a couple of generous $10,000 pledges, but realistically, how many of those are they going to get?

Not that you shouldn't pledge. You get charged nothing, not even a hold, unless and until the project is funded.

#53 blindinglights

blindinglights

Have they said that the retail price will be $99?
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#54 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

It is probably going to be a highly customized version of Android like what amazon did with the kindle fire. If you look on the kickstarter page, the UI for ouya looks nothing like android, it looks more like the dashboard on the xbox 360. (Not surprising since the co-creater of Xbox is working for them).

I hope they're also thinking of releasing something close to a basic AOSP package for the kit, it would definitely help with customization.

#55 Smashbro29

Smashbro29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hmmm... I'm a little on the fence about this. I don't see the advantage in jumping in early. If it fails it's pretty bad but if it succeeds they'll make more and I could get one of those.

The Comfort Zone

Live/Recorded

#56 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Eh, I guess the idea is neat, but it's way too idealistic to work. The games will either have to be free or have some free to play component. So you are going to basically have an HTPC that can only play free games. So basically, a bunch of demos and freemium and free games. I can already play any of those on a PC and I can build my own HTPC if I really wanted to game on the TV.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#57 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

android sucks. if it were running a true gnu/linux os like debian (mint, ubuntu) or red hat (centos, fedora) then i'd be all in.

If it's really fully hackable then it could run it couldn't it ...

I was seriously considering kickstarting this and then I found out that the Tegra 3 supports 3DTVs.

#58 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

I'm thinking this will have a hard time reaching its goal.

Even if they sell all 6000 console preorders, that's only $600,000 out of $950,000. They've had a couple of generous $10,000 pledges, but realistically, how many of those are they going to get?

Not that you shouldn't pledge. You get charged nothing, not even a hold, unless and until the project is funded.

Even if they don't meet there goal, it will send a clear message to the Big 3 that we are tired of rip off DLCs, $60 games, and the same FPS every year.

#59 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Eh, I guess the idea is neat, but it's way too idealistic to work. The games will either have to be free or have some free to play component. So you are going to basically have an HTPC that can only play free games. So basically, a bunch of demos and freemium and free games. I can already play any of those on a PC and I can build my own HTPC if I really wanted to game on the TV.

The hardware looks pretty standard for the Android platform (there are already a number of Tegra 3 tablets). It would be pretty trivial in many cases to port games already developed for those devices over to this one.

#60 Markew001

Markew001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hmm.. I'm not sure this is for me. I don't see anything that this can do that my phone/tablet/laptop won't also be able to.

I'm sure when it releases I'll want one though. :-P