Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#571 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I don't know if Bowling's announcement is the booster shot this system needs... this is prequel content to Human Element, correct? That could mean anything... it could very well be something simple or not entirely related to Human Element, not unlike how some devs are releasing iOS apps as prequels or supplemental content to their big AAA releases.

Though, there are a lot of people here who support the idea. Can't we all just agree to disagree?

Well, yeah, we could... but it would basically undercut 99% of all message board discussion. As was said before (yet ignored), many people are here to share their opinions, not necessarily challenge the opinions of others. Hell, the person you quoted even says "this is just my opinion."

At least that's the postmodern textbook answer. In my book there are definitely opinions that are more correct than others.

#572 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

many people are here to share their opinions, not necessarily challenge the opinions of others.

Maybe some of you feel differently about this, but it seems the conversation at the moment is mainly people (myself included) simply re-stating opinions.

That's the best time to agree to disagree, because each side is highly unlikely to convince the other at that point, and the sharing aspect becomes a bit muted.

I guess I'm a bit at a loss on why I would buy this. It seems to me that indie developers would either make an indie game on xbox live or make a game for the pc or mac. Why build a game for this system?

The key is the hardware they're using and the growing impact of the mobile marketplace (Android, iOS, etc...). The hardware used is almost identical to a number of different phones/tablets out there, and using Android as a base means many developers will already be very familiar with development for the device when it's released. For many indie developers, targeting XBLA or XBLIG is less profitable than targeting Android and/or iOS for a number of reasons (XBLIG is often criticised for poor sales and visibility).

Creating a living-room console with higher visibility for indie titles is definitely something many developers want.

Whether Ouya will succeed in doing this is the question of the moment, but we'll have to wait awhile for a definitive answer.

Edited by Xaliqen, 24 July 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#573 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

I don't know if Bowling's announcement is the booster shot this system needs... this is prequel content to Human Element, correct? That could mean anything... it could very well be something simple or not entirely related to Human Element, not unlike how some devs are releasing iOS apps as prequels or supplemental content to their big AAA releases.

I'm still trying to figure out why this announcement was noteworthy. It doesn't sound like he was a major pillar at infinity ward (community manager/creative strategist isn't on par with lead designer or producer). His company hasn't made anything before, so we have no real reason to believe anything he makes will be good...just kind of feels like he's getting press for having a "first post" type thing on a trending console.

And indie dev's will make games for this thing if it's easier to profit from than their other major options. This thing proves popular enough to get in millions of homes...the Ouya legal team is good at crushing and identifying IP ripoffs...good games manage to get recognition above the rest of the crap that gets released without a ton of advertising...essentially make a better app store than Google or Apple.

#574 gokou36

gokou36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Ouya is going to flop. AAA titles my ass. They haven't even announced any big name publisher. Love how they announce EXCLUSIVE OUYA GAME from the people who hasn't made a damn game yet.

#575 htz

htz

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Ouya is going to flop. AAA titles my ass. They haven't even announced any big name publisher. Love how they announce EXCLUSIVE OUYA GAME from the people who hasn't made a damn game yet.

Well they just announced onlive partnership with ouya. I guess that is where the library of AAA games will come from. Plus they have unveiled the full design of the controller plus some more pictures of the console itself.

http://www.kickstart...le/posts/275869

#576 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

That dpad looks horrible.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#577 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Round touchpad...did not see that coming. Thought they'd make a rectangular one that mapped decently enough to the TV...allow any touchscreen based game to work with their system, although perhaps not perfectly. Now it only looks usable as a giant additional button capable of reading swipes.

Have they mentioned whether or not the controller will have any shoulder buttons?

Onlive...regular Android devices can install Onlive. I'm still waiting for a real killer app for their Ouya aspect, otherwise I'll be content waiting for someone to take the same idea and do it better (or wait for a good tablet designed for both on TV and portable operations).

#578 pseudonem

pseudonem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

I don't get the hype. It's a tegra tablet with a hdmi output and a usb controller connection. Oh wait, I already have a Android tablet with all of those features. Haha. Also, anyone here ever used Onlive? It's complete garbage. Old-school YouTube quality + input lag = headache.

Meh, enjoy your conversation. Good Day.

It'll be interesting to see if this (or any!) online roll playing game can dethrone Ultima Online. I also hear that Blizzard's working on something but I can't see that doing any better for them then Diablo has.

fs_overall.png

#579 RedFoxCommando

RedFoxCommando

I Am Spartacus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Square Enix on board with FFIII.

#580 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

Square Enix on board with FFIII.

What!? No FFVII remake? :lol:

#581 J7.

J7.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Is there a Kickstarter thread on CAG for the Oculus Rift? I can't find it. That seems like it will be better than the Ouya, no offense intended, but I'm shocked I can't find it on CAG.

#582 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

The Rift Kickstarter is $300 for hardware, and that hardware is only a developer prerelease version (not a consumer product), so it's not a huge surprise that there's no thread for it here.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#583 J7.

J7.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

The Rift Kickstarter is $300 for hardware, and that hardware is only a developer prerelease version (not a consumer product), so it's not a huge surprise that there's no thread for it here.

That's too bad because it sounds so awesome, already has big names supporting it including Id, Valve, Epic games. Doom 3 BFG and Doom 4 are going to support it and Epic is going to put the Unreal Engine on it.

I realize this is CAG and about game deals, but no thread for Oculus at all? I'd make one but I don't have the time to properly maintain it.

#584 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm extremely interested in the Rift but as Genocidal stated it's a dev/prerelease of the hardware so I didn't purchase one, although I did throw $5 at it. I would have grabbed a shirt if they weren't so ugly.

A bit more on topic, did you notice that Oculus supported Ouya? It'd be nice if this worked with the Rift, I suppose one of them would have to support some sort of audio that would work with headphones, optical, 3.5mm, for full immersion. Hell they could probably just stick both of them together in the headset.

#585 htz

htz

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

Posted Image

First: We’ve been hearing requests from all over the Internet for a media player. Well we’re proud to announce that we will be working with XBMC.
That’s right. The award-winning, open source media player and entertainment hub is coming to OUYA. We’ve heard many of you buzzing about a potential OUYA-XBMC hook-up since Day One of launch. (Something of a match made in open source heaven!) Now, with a few hours left in our drive, we’re delivering.

Believe it, friends: XBMC, on OUYA, on your TV, legit.

XBMC will be coming to ouya!

#586 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

This is a better idea than trying to roll their own media player. A customizable package like XBMC will allow them to optimize the existing software quickly, and then just add a customized skin for OUYA branding.

I wonder if we will see an OUYA-targeted media remote? Possibly getting ahead of myself with speculation like that, but I suppose it could be possible. It will be interesting to see how they customize XBMC to work for the OUYA controller.

#587 mig0

mig0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

This is a better idea than trying to roll their own media player. A customizable package like XBMC will allow them to optimize the existing software quickly, and then just add a customized skin for OUYA branding.

I wonder if we will see an OUYA-targeted media remote? Possibly getting ahead of myself with speculation like that, but I suppose it could be possible. It will be interesting to see how they customize XBMC to work for the OUYA controller.

There have been a number of people including me who've requested an IR port be added to the device. I'm fine with it not coming with a remote, as long as getting it to work with my harmony is possible. I'd expect with this and the iheartradio announcement, a remote will be available.

#588 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

There have been a number of people including me who've requested an IR port be added to the device.

I think IR unlikely. The general design of the console isn't conducive to an added IR panel in the front of the exterior. It would also require extra cutting, which would increase the production costs. Also, they are already going with a different wireless standard for the controller. Any remotes designed to work with the OUYA would probably use the same wireless standard as the controller.

#589 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Saw the update first thing today.

I always figured Plex would make an appearance, but XBMC was my one and only wish for Ouya.

Wish fulfilled!

#590 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

There have been a number of people including me who've requested an IR port be added to the device. I'm fine with it not coming with a remote, as long as getting it to work with my harmony is possible. I'd expect with this and the iheartradio announcement, a remote will be available.

It uses Bluetooth, so I suspect that the Harmony PS3 Adapter will probably be able to sync with it either out of the box or with some sort of update.

http://www.amazon.co...searchengi40-20

Regardless, I'm pretty sure there will be Bluetooth remotes for the device. The Roku 2 remotes are Bluetooth and they're only $10 direct from Roku. I'm pretty sure those would work.
Posted Image

#591 htz

htz

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

http://www.kickstart...le/posts/283782
The Ouya kickstarter ends tonight and with that, the ouya team has one last final announcement.

"NAMCO BANDAI Games and OUYA are currently in active discussions to bring some of the world's biggest gaming properties to the exciting new open gaming platform. NAMCO BANDAI brings with it a rich history of iconic gaming franchises, from classics like PAC-MAN and GALAGA, to seminal franchises like TEKKEN and Ridge Racer, and we're excited to explore how we can work with OUYA to bring some great titles to the forthcoming console."
-- Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing, NAMCO BANDAI Games America, Inc.

Yep Namco Bandai is supporting Ouya just like Square Enix.

In response to a lot of the feedback we’ve received: OUYA will officially support up to four controllers. After all, what’s the point of playing in the living room if the other folks on the couch can’t join in?

Ouya will support up to 4 controllers.

So, while tons of you were super psyched yesterday to hear that we’d support XBMC, many Plex loyalists clamored for Plex support on OUYA. We think they’ll be happy to hear that OUYA will support Plex. Why not try to please everyone?

Plex is coming to Ouya also!

#592 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'll definitely pick one of these up if/when they make it to market. No point throwing money at this since it's guaranteed funded. Can't wait to see what happens with this!!!

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#593 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

I'll definitely pick one of these up if/when they make it to market. No point throwing money at this since it's guaranteed funded. Can't wait to see what happens with this!!!

me too

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#594 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:10 AM

I ended up making my pledge... It's an interesting idea plus it's a weird new console for $100.
I paid $99 for the Roku 2 XS and the OUYA seems like it will be able to play much better games and be used as an IPTV device.
Posted Image

#595 Big McLargeHuge

Big McLargeHuge

CAG in Training

• Validating

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

This thing has the potential to easily fail badly. It seems to me most people backing it are expecting something to rival the 360 or PS3 THIS generation. So imagine their surprise when they actually realize what it is :lol:.

For the technically illiterate, this thing is using a Tegra 3 CPU... That's the same one from the Google Nexus 7 tablet. Now, I agree if you're looking for a streaming/media(besides gaming) box for $99 this is great. Netflix and everything. But this will not work for gaming.

They say in the video that gaming has gone mobile and they want to bring it back to the couch... by giving us a console only powerful enough to play tablet games? I don't understand their logic. Anyways, Mobile games are cheap and quick fun. They are bought to be played when you're NOT at home. And they're also cheap. Most going for $1-10. So i don't see how the system will survive as a gaming console.

But as a device to stream netflix and things like that, it's great. It's just that it seems to me that people are misunderstanding the consoles capabilities here. For home/console gaming this thing is not a 360 or PS3, and with the next gen upon us, it's definitely not an option when it comes to non mobile gaming. Which comes back to the point. Why play a Mobile game at home on a console when you can just play it on your mobile device? Outside?

And how much are they going to charge for these games? These are the same games that will probably cost $1-10 on the nexus 7, so that's about as high as they can go. I keep saying this, but again, why buy a home console to play MOBILE games. No sense whatsoever.

We'll see what happens. Don't hold your breath though. This thing has no angle when it comes to gaming.

#596 Big McLargeHuge

Big McLargeHuge

CAG in Training

• Validating

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Also don't do the whole, "Hey i play games on my phone at home all the time.".

Most gamers, if they were at home and in no rush, would pick up the 360 controller instead of their iPhone or Tablet. If they want a quick easy mobile game they fire up their iPhone. I've yet to see a Mobile game i can stand playing for long periods of time. They're designed for short quick bursts, perfect for on the go gaming.

When i game at home, i want the AAA experience. If i have the time i want to sit down with a nice single player game like Skyrim and spend a few hours at a time playing it. I can't do that on a tablet/iPhone.

#597 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

It's like you missed the last 600 posts in this thread, yet still wanted your opinion heard.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png

#598 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

I want this console to play "mobile" games on my TV, I have Shadowgun on my iPhone. It's decent, I'd much rather play it on my 3Dtv with a controller though. On my phone I'll probably never finish it, battery life, tiny screen. In my living room it has a better chance. If AppleTV actually played games and was more like a console, with a controller, I would have bought one of those already.

I supported Ouya for these and various other reasons, I already have an iOS device and I'd like to dabble in Android games, the Tegra3 is capable of 3D, etc. This isn't to replace my Wii, 360, or PS3 ... my 3Dpc did that already :lol: I jest ... this isn't to replace any of my other platforms spanning from NES to current gen, it's to compliment them. More platforms, more games, that's hardcore gaming ... not playing one game over and over, or playing on the hardest settings ... which if we're talking about modern games usually isn't that tough.

Anyway, you don't need current or next gen hardware to create a great game.

#599 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Ouya can now be preordered off of its website for $109 - http://www.ouya.tv/buyouya/

I'm content waiting until I see exactly how easy it is to put a stock Android OS on this. Hardware looks impressive enough, but I don't want to have to use their Ouya store and buy stuff again that I already have.

#600 ryuk1214

ryuk1214

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

How has nobody yet complain that the console is the size of a fuckcking fist? Because that might be a bit of a crapfest when I step on it or if it falls and makes a nuclear explosion when it splits in half because it's the size of an atom.