Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#631 htz

htz

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Any of the backers get shipping info/confirmation yet?

I'm in the 1,000 range and haven't seen anything yet.

I'm backer #242, no shipping confirmation yet.

Edit: I received my shipping confirmation around 10PM yesterday. It's coming direct from the factory in Hong Kong via DHL Express.

Edited by htz, 29 March 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#632 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

http://www.kickstart...26f5f39a893ce23

Still no shipping yet, but again I'm backer #1,XXX so no big deal.

What is a big deal is the fact it looks like a credit card is going to be required prior to making any purchases from their store. Not cool. They should allow you to set-up, activate, and use your account to get any demo's/free to play games w/o requiring a credit card.

If they keep the whole credit card to use the store set-up, I can tell mine is gonna get rooted pretty damn fast.

#633 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Early review from the Verge.

http://www.theverge....242/ouya-review

Overall a 3.5 out 10.

It is a decent read and there is a video review. As many may have guessed the best feature is the ability to hack the thing. Many will be interested though that hacking is NOT going to be easy though (at least according to the reviewer).

"The Ouya is as hackable as promised. You can open up the console with an Allen wrench and four screws, and no corner of the OS is outside your reach. It's a remarkable developer plaything, a device with lots of potential and few true limitations.

But all the things you can do are things no normal user will ever figure out how to do. Here's how I sideloaded apps, a process I only figured out by accident after three days of fruitless Googling and searching through every inch of the Ouya's software: first, download an APK of a file manager. (At this point I've already confused my parents, most of my friends, and frankly myself.) Upload that APK to a website, ideally one with an easy-to-type URL. Go to the Ouya's browser, go to that URL, and download the file. Go back to home, then hit Manage, Advanced Settings, scroll down the Android menu to Storage, then click Downloads, then scroll to the APK you just downloaded. Click on it and install it. Once you have a file manager, it's just a matter of finding APKs for all the apps you want (often illegal, and usually pretty difficult), adding them to a USB stick or hard drive, plugging it into the Ouya, then going to Make, then Software, opening up your file manager of choice, then navigating through a million menus to get to your APKs. Once everything's installed, of course, it also lives in an entirely different place than the games you get straight from Ouya. Oh, and a lot of them don't work at all on the Ouya. Oh, and the ones that do often aren't compatible with controllers, or require a lot of tweaking to work properly.

Just because you technically can sideload apps onto the Ouya doesn't mean it's an open platform. The company opened a door, then hid that door on the other side of the world and burned the maps. Particularly enterprising developers may not have a problem with this process, but many of the 60,000 people who already bought an Ouya certainly will. They'll just want to turn it on and play some games. Boy, will they be let down.
"

At this point I would say it is a win just for the fact this thing was made less than a year after raising all that money. I should be interesting to see what happens in the next year.

#634 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

That review is awful. The "confusing" process described above is nearly identical to how you sideload apps on every Android device ever and makes it clear to me that whoever wrote it is not familiar with how the OS works. The wording makes it sound like he was looking to hate it from the outset, and the overall score doesn't even come close to reflecting his sub-scores.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#635 RedFoxCommando

RedFoxCommando

I Am Spartacus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Where do you find your backer number?

#636 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

I played one of these last week. Seemed to work OK but I was playing demos of indie games that looked like they could run on a calculator. I'm going to wait and see on this before diving in even though $100 is really cheap.

EDIT: it is tiny as hell. Like the size of an apple.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#637 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

I expected the stock OS to be crap as described in that review.

When the custom ROMs come, they will likely make this thing shine.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#638 htz

htz

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

The ouya console is going for crazy amounts on eBay right now.

#639 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Was not a fan of that review, overall I give it a 3.5/10. He picks on Yves design and rants on the letter choices used for the primary buttons, yet fails to mention the colors actually match the 360 controller he's obviously comparing it to as the norm, I'd hate to see how he'd review a Nintendo controller. How dare Nintendo change the format! :D

#640 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

i wanted one. now its less and less attractive as it gets closer to release date. still a maybe for me though...

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#641 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Anyone other backers receive their shipping info yet?

I'm backer #1,232 and I still haven't received any shipping info.

#642 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I have no idea what number I am but no nothing here yet either.

#643 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Got that email yesterday showing.the chart..they hope to ship them all by June. They had to change shippers to speed things up. I guess some early backers wouldn't have.gotten theirs on time. I'm 60--- so I know I'll get mine maybe the week.before retail launch. Way to go OUYA.

#644 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Got that email yesterday showing.the chart..they hope to ship them all by June. They had to change shippers to speed things up. I guess some early backers wouldn't have.gotten theirs on time. I'm 60--- so I know I'll get mine maybe the week.before retail launch. Way to go OUYA.

According to their chart mine should ship today at the latest, so I'll believe it when I see it.

#645 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm 61941. I think I pledged in the last 10 minutes or so...

Right now it very much looks like a beta. I'm ok with waiting mainly because it was a impulse buy and if it sucks I'll still have a nice little Netflix player for my kitchen TV. Hopefully it doesn't suck, but we'll see.

I do like that it can work as a development kit. I've always wanted to try to make a video game. I made one in high school in computer class, but it was just a basic little horizontal shooter. I made it work for my PC, but when I put in on my teacher's PC it went way too fast and he died in like a second. Apparently I somehow timed it based on the computer's processor speed. :lol:
Posted Image

#646 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

Got my "Your OUYA has arrived at our distribution center" email this morning. Says I'll get a confirmation email with tracking number when it's picked up for delivery.

#647 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm somewhere in the 10,000 range. I have not received a shipping notice yet, so my OUYA has yet to be produced.

I'm not overly concerned, though. They have already begun shipping produced units. As of right now, they've managed to achieve what many people thought to be impossible. And I haven't begun in earnest to develop a game for the OUYA in particular. I could actually use a little help in that area.

What kind of game would you like to see me make for the OUYA? Right now I'm leaning toward a top-down action/RPG, along the same lines as the original Zelda. I like the exploration factor in games like that. I'm also going to be using Unity, and the built-in tools would make that style of game fairly easy.

#648 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Got my "Your OUYA has arrived at our distribution center" email this morning. Says I'll get a confirmation email with tracking number when it's picked up for delivery.

LUCKY, I still got nothing :lol:
Hopefully it comes before I leave for my internship :/
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#649 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Backer # in the 5500s, still nothing, even though they've claimed ~1/3 shipped (roughly 20k units going off backer totals).
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#650 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Well, I'm in the 42000s and just got a confirmation yesterday, so I guess going solely by numbers isn't the way to judge shipping.

Granted, I swiped one of the $95 early-birds after someone had dropped out. That might have something to do with it.

#651 oakafanforlife

oakafanforlife

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

I got one of the limited editions and supposedly it should be shipping this week.... my fingers are crossed
Posted Image

#652 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

I got the "Your OUYA is on the move. (order 12XX)" email today with tracking number. Tracking link isn't active yet though says to wait 24-48hrs, looks like it's shipping from HK.

#653 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

My OUYA is listed as being at the distribution center. Has anyone gotten theirs yet?
Posted Image

#654 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Finally got the first email saying mine is on its way.

#655 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Finally got the first email saying mine is on its way.

Same here, although they say it could still take 2 weeks to ship, and another 2 weeks of actual shipping time.

I have a feeling they will "ship" all of them before they hit retail shelves, but not everyone will actually have theirs in hand before they are available for the general public.

#656 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

I got the "Your OUYA is on the move. (order 12XX)" email today with tracking number. Tracking link isn't active yet though says to wait 24-48hrs, looks like it's shipping from HK.

The tracking link still says ...
"No result found for your DHL query. Please try again."

#657 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I got my tracking number today.
Posted Image

#658 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'm still waiting for shipping confirmation. Thankfully my overabundance of hobbies keeps me quite occupied in the meantime.

In other Ouya-news, it seems the launch date for the big commercial release is being pushed back to June 25th. The reason given is that they want to produce more units for their commercial partners. (retail) This could be good, as it indicates a strong demand from retail stores. At the same time, the end consumers are the ones who will ultimately be driving demand. It won't help anything if the retail chains stock too much initially.

Also, apparently the Ouya company has secured an additional 15 million dollars in funding. Not sure what that will mean in the long run.

#659 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Got my tracking number, but it never showed up on the tracking page.

Ouya just arrived 10 minutes ago.

#660 RedFoxCommando

RedFoxCommando

I Am Spartacus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

I got my shipping confirmation and tracking number 2 days ago on the 8th but I can't track it yet. At least I know it's coming now.

They should put as much into marketing as possible so people know about it. People need to see it when they walk into an electronics section, not have to ask an employee like it's some kind of speakeasy.

"Excuse me, but do you know where I can find a YOUHA?"