Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#91 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Same exact price....no. But for $100 more you get the same exact specs but portable.

I am not saying this isn't worth the money, what I am saying is I don't see how this will revolutionize anything since the technology/market already exists.

In fact look at this

Lowering the cost of entry to create games and having all consoles also act as dev kits I think is revolutionary. Not so much for the consumer but for $100 you get a decent cool looking game console, plus your making it possible for more talent to enter the gaming industry(Sounds BS but I believe this machine if successful could entice more people to become game developers). I'm sure not the only one who believes in this since in less than 4-5 hours they already have 2000+ pledges about to reach $300,000 with 29 days to go.

#92 DarkZero104

DarkZero104

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Really, I'm having a hard time justifying not buying it. Android box, fully customizable hardware, if nothing else that makes it a full fledged computer where I don't have to settle like the recent usb stick kinds.

#93 Taneerian

Taneerian

Roll Dem Bones!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'm having a hard time believing that they can supply enough consoles for the masses with less than a million dollars. Seems fishy to me...

#94 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm having a hard time believing that they can supply enough consoles for the masses with less than a million dollars. Seems fishy to me...

That Million is to off-set development costs. When it goes to retail the retail sales will cover the masses. (and it will likely cost more than $100 at retail)

#95 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

I think the key to that mystery is the hardware they're using. If they're using standardized Tegra 3 hardware, then they can piggy-back on the economics of scale as other manufacturers produce Tegra 3-based tablets en masse. And, of course, the million dollars looks like it's just a seeder fund.

#96 RedFoxCommando

RedFoxCommando

I Am Spartacus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Not to mention potential for corporate sponsors. If they show that consumers are already willing to invest without the instant gratification of owning the device then the support will explode. I'm becoming very intrigued and will be watching closely. I'm only sorry I missed out on the $95 package.

#97 vherub

vherub

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

I wonder why they limited quantity of the $99 retail tier. Would have to think they are going to launch in march 2013 with eventually far, far more than 10,000 systems.

#98 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

I wonder why they limited quantity of the $99 retail tier. Would have to think they are going to launch in march 2013 with eventually far, far more than 10,000 systems.

They're probably going based off of what they know suppliers can deliver in a given time-frame in addition to estimates related to starting production and finishing development. I wouldn't be surprised if they add more slots into that tier if it looks like they'll reach their target and they've had a chance to adjust.

I guess we'll find out if the number of orders keep climbing...

#99 Lemarfanz

Lemarfanz

Video Games Are Art!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

pretty tempting for 100 bucks...can anyone convince me otherwise?
I LOVE INDIE GAMES!

I SUPPORT THEM WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

#100 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

pretty tempting for 100 bucks...can anyone convince me otherwise?

No, but you are paying now in full (assuming it funds) for something you won't get until March of next year at the earliest and you have very limited recourse if they delay or never deliver. This is also MSRP, so other than making a donation to support something you are interested in, there isn't a huge incentive to do this now.

#101 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

It is probably a kickstarter site limit or they just want to limit the amount of people having founder emblem next to there username.

#102 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

It is probably a kickstarter site limit or they just want to limit the amount of people having founder emblem next to there username.

You can have unlimited stock on kickstarter. I think they want to avoid over selling "first run" stock. It'd be a disaster to run out of them for backers. Basically, "We know we can make X by launch. So we cap it at X."

#103 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Got one. I think this has a lot of potential to be really cool but also a fair amount of potential to be completely useless.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
Id rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not - The Miz

#104 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

But the games have to be free, so we're talking ad supported versions of Angry Birds, Where's My Water, etc.

"We're handing the reins over to the developer with only one condition: at least some gameplay has to be free. We borrowed the free-to-play model from games like League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Triple Town, and many others. Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe."

Games have to at least be a playable demo, ie XBLA, not actually free.

#105 midloo

midloo

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

This is more than a game machine, since the developers allow root access to the OS(They even support hacking and will warranty the machine). This is capable of becoming a media center once hackers get there hands on it, which this console is targeted to in the first place. It is basically a game developer's console like they advertise.

So is a PC. I think I'll stick to using my HDMI cord to connect my desktop to my big screen and call it a day.

The philosophy is nice and the hardware is pretty, but I'm not sold. Seems like it's greatest asset will be in getting more people interested in development and hopefully generating some publisher interest.

Take a look through this site to see what devs are saying about the effort: link

Edited by midloo, 10 July 2012 - 05:00 PM.

Posted Image

#106 ijustw1n

ijustw1n

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Wow you people really like fruit ninja. Quickly this goes from cheap ass gamer to first adopter to accelerated commitment arguing and justifying gamers.
I was looking for a website for ass gaming, but I found this one instead.

#107 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Is the retail price going to be $100 too?

Link is asking the right question. What confirmation is there that the plan is not to sell this thing at retail for $50 and have the console price subsidized by the developer keeping 10% of app sales?

#108 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Link is asking the right question. What confirmation is there that the plan is not to sell this thing at retail for $50 and have the console price subsidized by the developer keeping 10% of app sales?

Nothing. If you don't think you want it for $100, then don't pledge.

#109 midloo

midloo

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

They've committed thoroughly to the $100 price point and have been courting consumers and developers alike with that information. They couldn't possibly pull the rug out from under all the interested parties at this point and magically charge less for a retail launch.
Posted Image

#110 windsmere

windsmere

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

So is a PC. I think I'll stick to using my HDMI cord to connect my desktop to my big screen and call it a day.

The philosophy is nice and the hardware is pretty, but I'm not sold. Seems like it's greatest asset will be in getting more people interested in development and hopefully generating some publisher interest.

Wow you people really like fruit ninja. Quickly this goes from cheap ass gamer to first adopter to accelerated commitment arguing and justifying gamers.

Agreed. I don't get it honestly. I don't see the cool in this thing (mostly). To me it seems like a 'console' for Soccer moms and hackers. I personally love indie games but that being said, Android and iOS games in generally suck ass.

#111 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

I figured the Revolution would already be televised when Assassins Creed III comes out, no need for this..
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#112 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Agreed. I don't get it honestly. I don't see the cool in this thing (mostly). To me it seems like a 'console' for Soccer moms and hackers. I personally love indie games but that being said, Android and iOS games in generally suck ass.

They key word here is in general. Yes in general IOS games and android games suck ass. However there are some really really good experiences shining amongst all those turds. There are also a ton of games that were not that great but only because they lacked a controller. If I had a dollar for every game I have played on my IPad and thought "this game is ass, but only because I have to use the touch screen" id be a rich rich man. I mean platformers alone I have played tons and tons and tons of games that I could tell were great but just did not want to play on the Ipad. I also think that people are just comparing this to IOS too much. I think the potential is just as high to see things like Binding of Issack, Minecraft and Super Meat Boy that blew up on Steam.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
Id rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not - The Miz

#113 RedFoxCommando

RedFoxCommando

I Am Spartacus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

But do you realize how many soccer moms there are? You'll find one sitting in a mini van in front of every gamestop waiting for their kid and in every Target across america. If they made this thing a Target exclusive they they'd be on to something haha!

#114 Carlanga

Carlanga

Fishing for deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

As far as I'm aware the tech specs are the same as the Google Nexus Tablet; which for house gaming is subpar, even less quality than the Wii.
Maybe if the console + controller as $50, but $99 is too much to ask of an android system for home use.
Hell, just buy a Nexus Tablet and run games from it to your TV.

#115 midloo

midloo

I'm in agreement with a number of other devs on this: It all depends on the appstore. There are challenges to developing new hardware, but I'm assuming they can solve those and deliver at the promised price point without breaking their own bank. The real challenge will be in creating an appstore that clearly highlights the best new experiences on the console. That's something no current distribution service is doing well. If they can successfully draw consumers attention to the good experiences and not the mountain of trash that will be deployed daily to the service at the hands of the everyman-programmer, then it could be a success.

The second biggest hurdle will be in the review process for new applications. It's tough to find the right balance. Again - each service currently has their drawbacks.

I'll wait and see before I develop for it.
Posted Image

#116 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

They key word here is in general. Yes in general IOS games and android games suck ass. However there are some really really good experiences shining amongst all those turds. There are also a ton of games that were not that great but only because they lacked a controller. If I had a dollar for every game I have played on my IPad and thought "this game is ass, but only because I have to use the touch screen" id be a rich rich man. I mean platformers alone I have played tons and tons and tons of games that I could tell were great but just did not want to play on the Ipad. I also think that people are just comparing this to IOS too much. I think the potential is just as high to see things like Binding of Issack, Minecraft and Super Meat Boy that blew up on Steam.

This, exactly this! Instead of looking at currently available games that require touch (Fruit Ninja) look at the potential the market could have if the market were opened up to include a controller. If this gets funded I fully expect to see new IPs that can compete with AAA titles from Indie guys.

#117 blcklblskt

blcklblskt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

I would love to support this, but just like OnLive, no physical media = no go for me.

#118 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

As far as I'm aware the tech specs are the same as the Google Nexus Tablet; which for house gaming is subpar, even less quality than the Wii.
Maybe if the console + controller as $50, but $99 is too much to ask of an android system for home use.

It's pretty clear the specs on this are superior to the Wii (Tegra 3 quad-core processor w/1 GB of RAM compared to overclocked Gamecube-derived hardware in the Wii with 64 MB of RAM). So, yeah, pretty clearly superior.

#119 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

^They posted a video of the graphics capability of the ouya. Looks impressive for a $100 device.

$400,000+ currently, looks like they will hit half a million soon. Probably will meet its goal of about 1 million by tomorrow.

#120 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

You're a bit off in comparing a Wii favorably to ANYTHING, much less a device with a quad-core 1.2 to 1.6ghz Cpu, 1gb ram, and far superior graphics capabilities built into the Tegra 3. The Wii is nothing more than a cheaply upgraded Gamecube, in terms of pure specs it is a joke compared to this or almost anything else produced in the last 7 years.