Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#181 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

So I understand if it gets funded we have to pay but does that guarantee you will get a console. What of they mismanage the money? Or underestate how much it costs to produce each console. I'm super interested but concerned that I won't get anything..

Kickstarter offers no protection for backers once a project has been funded. Should backers never get their pledge bonuses or whatever, it's up to them to pursue legal action. Link

#182 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

So I understand if it gets funded we have to pay but does that guarantee you will get a console. What of they mismanage the money? Or underestate how much it costs to produce each console. I'm super interested but concerned that I won't get anything..

It is the potential risk with any Kickstarter, and you should know going in that you may not get what you expect, or you may not get anything.

That being said, most successful Kickstarters do deliver products. It may not be timely, it may not be everything they said it would be, but most of the time you do get something.
Posted Image

#183 Schildkrote

Schildkrote

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

You're not guarunteed anything. If any of the situations you mentioned end up happening, it's up to you to lawyer up, otherwise you're on your own and your money is gone with nothing to show for it. You're going to have problems even after lawyering up because of the "donation" and "contribution" terminology that the site uses, which is extremely protective of the contribution recipient.

This is the main reason Kickstarter is questionable at best.

#184 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Kickstarter offers no protection for backers once a project has been funded. Should backers never get their pledge bonuses or whatever, it's up to them to pursue legal action. Link

My question is since Double Fine caused Kickstarter to become a huge avenue for video game "developers" to fund things how many products have been created?

I just know this whole trend is going to end up going bad. Double Fine has the resources to make the game they promised regardless of the Kickstarter but these start-ups are too much a risk for me. You know there is going to be A LOT of failures and some really really raging gamers out there.

#185 lwhitit

lwhitit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

It is the potential risk with any Kickstarter, and you should know going in that you may not get what you expect, or you may not get anything.

That being said, most successful Kickstarters do deliver products. It may not be timely, it may not be everything they said it would be, but most of the time you do get something.

Yep. I pledged for a cool product back in feb with a estimated shipping date of may 31st. I didn't get it till July but it did ship.

P.S. its now over 750k..

Backlog? What backlog?

Currently Playing:

Spoiler

#186 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

You're not guarunteed anything. If any of the situations you mentioned end up happening, it's up to you to lawyer up, otherwise you're on your own and your money is gone with nothing to show for it. You're going to have problems even after lawyering up because of the "donation" and "contribution" terminology that the site uses, which is extremely protective of the contribution recipient.

This is the main reason Kickstarter is questionable at best.

So, you won't buy any of the games that were funded by Kickstarter once they're released?

#187 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

I'm not clear on the SDK thing. Are they doing a forked modified version of Android like Amazon and Barnes and Noble did or are they developing their own app market? A non-standard proprietary controller?

In other words, why is there a need for an Ouya specific SDK since Android as of 4.0 officially supports controllers now.

steam_sig.png

#188 Schildkrote

Schildkrote

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

So, you won't buy any of the games that were funded by Kickstarter once they're released?

1.) Paying for a product that doesn't exist is not financially sound.

2.) Investing in a product when you won't see any return on your investment is not financially sound.

3.) Donating to a commercial cause is questionable when not only are there are charitable causes that need the money much more, but if and when they sell the resulting product you won't see any of the revenue you helped generate.

4.) The "it's basically pre-ordering" argument doesn't apply because pre-ordering comes with certain consumer protections that aren't afforded to you here.

So if a Kickstarter project did produce a game I wanted and I was able to pay for it and receive the product right then and there, bypassing all of the above issues, then yes, I might do that.

#189 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

1.) Paying for a product that doesn't exist is not financially sound.

2.) Investing in a product when you won't see any return on your investment is not financially sound.

3.) Donating to a commercial cause is questionable when not only are there are charitable causes that need the money much more, but if and when they sell the resulting product you won't see any of the revenue you helped generate.

4.) The "it's basically pre-ordering" argument doesn't apply because pre-ordering comes with certain consumer protections that aren't afforded to you here.

So if a Kickstarter project did produce a game I wanted and I was able to pay for it and receive the product right then and there, bypassing all of the above issues, then yes, I might do that.

It sounds like you just don't get Kickstarter, which is fine.

But, if you end up benefiting from a Kickstarter project at some point, just remember it's because others made it possible.

#190 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

My question is since Double Fine caused Kickstarter to become a huge avenue for video game "developers" to fund things how many products have been created?

There really hasn't been all that much time to create much of anything from Kickstarter in the video game world, so kinda hard to say.

I just know this whole trend is going to end up going bad. Double Fine has the resources to make the game they promised regardless of the Kickstarter but these start-ups are too much a risk for me. You know there is going to be A LOT of failures and some really really raging gamers out there.

Actually, the majority of VG Kickstarter attempts don't meet their funding goal. That tells me that there is likely to be a lower percentage of failures than you suggest.

Now, are all of these going to be great games? Doubtful. Then again, you can say that about what the majors produce, which many buy sight unseen.
Posted Image

#191 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

I have backed 17 projects on Kickstarter and have yet to have an issue. My wife and I also work as reviewers in the board game industry and have worked directly with numerous other developers through Kickstarter and have yet to find someone that seemed out to just make a quick buck. I think there is a fair risk at hand for a project(especially a HUGE project like this one)to be mismanaged and go belly up. However, in general Kickstarter is a very reliable site that is mainly used by smaller developers and project owners who just want to make their dream a reality.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#192 Schildkrote

Schildkrote

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

It sounds like you just don't get Kickstarter, which is fine.

There's a difference between not understanding the concept, which is what you appear to be implying, and not agreeing with the concept.

I don't think there's any problem with supporting projects if you have faith in them. I just think that it's difficult to have that kind of faith in a commercial organization that's essentially panhandling online.

If you believe in a project enough that you're willing to kiss that money goodbye and see nothing in return, then there's nothing wrong with that - if the project works out, then consider it a bonus. :)

#193 Byakurai

Byakurai

CAG Busta

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I foresee Gameloft sticking their fingers into this pie.

#194 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

There's a difference between not understanding the concept, which is what you appear to be implying, and not agreeing with the concept.

I don't think there's any problem with supporting projects if you have faith in them. I just think that it's difficult to have that kind of faith in a commercial organization that's essentially panhandling online.

If you believe in a project enough that you're willing to kiss that money goodbye and see nothing in return, then there's nothing wrong with that - if the project works out, then consider it a bonus. :)

I wasn't implying you don't understand it on an intellectual level. It just seemed like you don't believe in exchanging capital for ideas, maybe you do.

Just remember, if one of those ideas comes to fruition and you benefit, it's because of people who believed in it and were willing to make it happen.

#195 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

I foresee Gameloft sticking their fingers into this pie.

Only on the game developers side of things...

#196 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

I was looking for a micro pc just today! This thing doing 1080p, with WiFi, and a controller is a better deal than other $50-100 boards. The others I found are slower, lower resolution, no WiFi, no case!, and no Google Play store. If you can run any hard drive, keyboard, or mouse out the USB port this thing sounds just right.

I bet the launch price will be closer to $225 than the $99 tier. Hmm, 437 left.

#197 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

I was looking for a micro pc just today! This thing doing 1080p, with WiFi, and a controller is a better deal than other $50-100 boards. The others I found are slower, lower resolution, no WiFi, no case!, and no Google Play store. If you can run any hard drive, keyboard, or mouse out the USB port this thing sounds just right.

Even before the Kickstarter thing started, Ouya has been advertising this as a $99 box.

The Double Fine thing only occurred this year. That doesn't really leave a lot of time for a game to get funded and get made. There have been non-gaming failures though. Look up ZionEyez for a quick example. Raised over 300k back in July '11, promised deliver in the winter, still no sign of anything.

#198 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

You can always cancel a pledge later. I backed knowing I 90% want to back this. If I decide against it I can always back out later and I wont feel bad because I know someone else will snap up my pledge. Better to get in and cancel later then to miss out after deciding you want in.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#199 boneless

boneless

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Well, there's 5000+ available at the $99 price range now. I hope they're prepared for the production.

#200 jaso

jaso

Requiesce in pace

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Well, there's 5000+ available at the $99 price range now. I hope they're prepared for the production.

Seems like a Catch 22 - the more they sell, the higher likelihood the Ouya becomes a real thing. But the higher production numbers mean it's going to take longer to get this thing in our hands - probably not before the end of the world, anyway, if you subscribe to that sort of idea.

But if their promises are fulfilled, I can wait.

#201 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

$99 pledge is now 5,000+ out of 10,000. They probably reach the goal within the hour or so.

#202 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

This has the potential to be one of the most revolutionary and disruptive happenings in the console space ever given the price-point and, more importantly, the open nature of the hardware/platform.

OUYA could be a giant leap towards the one-console future if not just a great place to play indie games. (which is the majority of what interests me these days)
sudo mklove

#203 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Seems like a Catch 22 - the more they sell, the higher likelihood the Ouya becomes a real thing. But the higher production numbers mean it's going to take longer to get this thing in our hands - probably not before the end of the world, anyway, if you subscribe to that sort of idea.

But if their promises are fulfilled, I can wait.

In this case I won't have use for that $99 so I'll take my chances. Besides we already know the earliest we'll get them is March '13. Probably closer to Sept '13 would be my guess.

#204 Rockopotamus

Rockopotamus

My riffs are bottomless.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

I have a PC with free and indie games. I can use a controller on it and hook it up to the TV. I also already have an Android. Why would I want this? (This isn't a sarcastic, rhetorical question. I'm genuinely trying to understand what the selling point is here.)

#205 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

this thing looks pretty cool--- its everything the apple TV could and should be but for android.

I think that this is the anti-deal though---paying up front for a product that may never even materialize or be a shadow of what its supposed to be.

I think the growth of kickstarter is absolutely terrible for consumers. When you give an entity a huge chunk of money without any real accountability there is a serious danger of abuse and exploitation or just flat out failure. As far as I know these companies aren't really vetted like they would be if a real investor with a stake was involved. Just cause somebody has a great idea doesn't mean they have what it takes to bring it to market and succeed on their own.

#206 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

I have a PC with free and indie games. I can use a controller on it and hook it up to the TV. I also already have an Android. Why would I want this? (This isn't a sarcastic, rhetorical question. I'm genuinely trying to understand what the selling point is here.)

Your computer isn't hooked up to the TV unless you're in the minority and have a HTPC or hook up your laptop. $99 isn't much to spend on something that's a permanent fixture. Also, your phone or tablet probably doesn't have a Tegra 3 chip unless you JUST bought it and you also probably don't want to constantly have it hooked up to your TV. It also isn't basically rooted out of the box.

The key here is that a) it's a small, permanent livingroom device and b) it's only $99. The price point puts it in the realm of impulse buy and it's the only decent Android device (save Google TVs, which are crap for games) designed for use with a TV.

#207 Chemosh013

Chemosh013

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Most of us don't have PCs that are hooked up to the TV with controllers. And even if we wanted to it would be tough to find one with the functionality this has for $99.

ach.png

#208 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

For me the selling point is being not only able to but rather fully encouraged to hack it to bits.

I'd only caution those dismissing tablet games that Spiderweb Software is releasing tablet games, the Baldur's Gate remakes will be tablet games, Legend of Grimrock will eventfully be a tablet game, and so on and so forth.

The space is changing as the hardware becomes more capable and that's without hardware specs with official controllers.
sudo mklove

#209 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

Maybe you don't want it and that's ok. I don't have any box for the TV at the moment so for the same price as a roku the ouya has all the same streaming content, an app store, games and a nice looking controller. And I should be able to play all my old SNES games.

#210 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

Made it! This is exciting.