Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#211 Chemosh013

Chemosh013

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

And it's funded. Dang that was quick! I think they should keep taking orders on this. Assuming that they can actually deliver these consoles, it will only help their installed base to ride the hype.

ach.png

#212 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

I believe very strongly in this. I'll be kicking myself later for not forking over the $95 but I just can't afford it right now. I wish these developers all the success they deserve. What they are doing it pretty awesome.

#213 DarkZero104

DarkZero104

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

They got 950,000 before 5pm. I think that was 8 hours?

#214 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

We also don't know how they plan to handle previous Google Play purchases: As it stands now any one of my purchases can be sent to any of my compatible Android devices and it'll even spit-out a different version depending on said device. (Plants vs. Zombies comes to mind)

Putting something like OUYA in that light, it could be a supplemental and backwards compatible experience for existing Android games/apps already on your Play account.
sudo mklove

#215 Devulture

Devulture

Scavenging the Earth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Well, I bit it and paid a bit of my college grant for this project. Still not 100% on this system, but I can change my mind before Aug 9th if I want to.

#216 meta460085

meta460085

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Well after much deliberation I jumped in at 99 bucks though if I didn't just dropped 4 grand on home remodeling I woulda put down for the 225 deal. I was wondering what the hold up was on an android based game console. Hope it has a long tail.

#217 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

While I think this has potential to provide games that otherwise might not find a broad market (or any market), all the talk on the web about competing with the "Big 3" is ludicrous.

#218 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

I placed my pledge an hour after it went live this morning. Never thought they will hit there goal until maybe near August, but they did it in 8 hours and moving toward 1 mill soon.

Us gamers have together introduced a new console onto the market today, 11 years right after the original xbox.

#219 DarkZero104

DarkZero104

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

It won't compete in the traditional way to mainly because they all have to be very aware of what just happened. People gave a mil to this in under half a day. Know where it's screwed? At fending off the idea being jacked.

Google though is gonna have to get involved though.

#220 meta460085

meta460085

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

I placed my pledge an hour after it went live this morning. Never thought they will hit there goal until maybe near August, but they did it in 8 hours and moving toward 1 mill soon.

Us gamers have together introduced a new console onto the market today, 11 years right after the original xbox.

+1 internets to all of us who voted with our wallets today ;-)

#221 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

I was pretty excited about that a well. I put my money down right after you posted basically. I hope this really does live up to the preconcieved notions I have in my head haha

#222 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

The ability to hack this thing (which is encouraged) will pretty much eliminate any solid MP experience.

#223 wEEman33

wEEman33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

I bet these things start going for well over $100 once they start getting shipped out and people start putting them up on eBay.

#224 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

The ability to hack this thing (which is encouraged) will pretty much eliminate any solid MP experience.

Or encourage it. A lot of people miss the days of crazy cheats. I mean yes you will get games where you are playing a Halo like game and then you face an invincible opponet, but you will also get games where everyone is rocket jumping around the stage and doing crazy things that make it so much more interesting and fun. If you want to play with non cheaters you just make a few friends you can trust and play purely with them. Easy squeezy.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
Id rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not - The Miz

#225 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Hack can mean different things and it's not being used in the sense you're thinking of.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#226 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Either I'm misunderstanding your comment, or you might be misunderstanding what they mean by "hack."

They probably shouldn't have used that word, since the older definition is rarely used now.

#227 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hack can mean different things and it's not being used in the sense you're thinking of.

No I am. The ability to root the device gives you control over the device. Having control over the device makes it much easier to write protocols to control software on that device.

#228 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

Rampant cheating has completely destroyed today's PC, Android, and iOS gaming markets.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#229 tankyroo

tankyroo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

I really want this, but sadly, I don't have a way to "pledge" with kickstarter. Maybe I can order it another way when it launches. I'm really interested in game programming, and I think this would be a lot of fun.

#230 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

No I am. The ability to root the device gives you control over the device. Having control over the device makes it much easier to write protocols to control software on that device.

Sure, but that's true for every home PC.

#231 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

This console will absolutely not survive in this day and age. It does not matter that it's not a direct competitor with Sony or Microsoft.

Yes it has 8,000 backers - but beyond those folks it will not last long at all. It is very difficult for game companies (console, PC, or mobile) to be successful and stay successful today. Just look at the amount of studio closings and sales struggles over the past year.

Please don't be naive and think that this will actually be relevant beyond 'Teh haxxor' community. I give it a year post launch - at most.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#232 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Sure, but that's true for every home PC.

Right and most of the pirating happens there. I will be interested in figuring out how "free games" will benefit a developer.

My nephews (11 and 15) have jailbroke iOS devices and never pay for any apps.

#233 RedFoxCommando

RedFoxCommando

I Am Spartacus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

Left for a few hours when it was at $460k, come back and its at well over a million with 29 days to go...I'd say this is going to happen. Also, every dime they have over, thats better features they can add to it. Do I think it will have it's own press conference at E3 next year, no. But is there a niche for it in the gaming community, absolutely. I'm hoping this thing does well.

#234 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

Right and most of the pirating happens there. I will be interested in figuring out how "free games" will benefit a developer.

Piracy is a topical MacGuffin if you ask me, statistics point to more people than ever willing to pay for games at a decent price.

That's just my opinion, though, I guess we'll have to wait about 9 months for an answer in this case.

#235 outphase

outphase

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Zynga seems to be doing well for itself for having all free-to-play games.

#236 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

This console will last absolutely not survive in this day and age. It does not matter that it's not a direct competitor with Sony or Microsoft.

Yes it has 8,000 backers - but beyond those folks it will not last long at all. It is very difficult for game companies (console, PC, or mobile) to be successful and stay successful today. Just look at the amount of studio closings and sales struggles over the past year.

Please don't be naive and think that this will actually be relevant beyond 'Teh haxxor' community. I give it a year post launch - at most.

Those are large studios closing because the cost of game development is too high. That's the beauty of this thing, it encourages the lone wolf indie programmer to create content and even gives small teams of weekend warriors an outlet.

My only concern is that they're using the 30% off the top system that Apple made standard. That 30% off the top isn't all that bad when you're talking $1-$5 games, but you're looking at a $6 charge on a $20 game. Hopefully they work out a decreasing charge for developers with popular game. The 30% fee is an archaic model from back in the days when digital distribution wasn't a proven model. 15-20% is much more reasonable, especially if OUYA is actively trying to cultivate a new community of developers. They need all the money they can get.

Also (unrelated to quoted text), the whole "free-game" thing: They're just requiring part of every game to be free, even if it's just a demo. They're certainly not suggesting all games should follow the F2P model that many MMOs have taken up.

#237 M3wThr33

M3wThr33

Batman with a gun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Hahahahahah. As a developer with a game on the top grossing list, you are delusional if you think Zynga is doing well.

#238 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Well except that more and more these days it's the 360 version's torrent which pops-up first.

Having a closed system never stops pirates or hackers as is evident by the continual ban-waves on Xbox Live and in various 360 games not to mention the DRM cat-and-mouse game between pirates and Microsoft. (Sony contained pirates to certain firmware and Nintendo just plain gave-up entirely)

The open nature of something like this at least gives the users a way to see what the hackers are doing and devise solutions rather than rely completely on the developer/platform holder. And just think of all of the games on closed systems which get abandoned in terms of stopping hackers. (playing any Wii game online ever would be a good example with Gecko Codes and the like running rampant)
sudo mklove

#239 Rockopotamus

Rockopotamus

My riffs are bottomless.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

I don't understand all the concerns about cheating/pirating. That stuff will always exist regardless of how much something is locked down. It will be no more prevalent here than anywhere else. If anything, increased restrictions usually result in higher piracy.

#240 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

What I meant is not F2P. I worded that poorly. Not all games on this system will be F2P model but rather a part will be free to try (demo really). I just do not see how you are going to control the ability to break those games and distribute them for free on a system like this. It is being done now and it will be rampant on a system like this. Look what they were able to do with the PS3. Basically ripping the games to the HD and being able to play them disc free. Some will say there was an altruistic reason for it but we all know this was used to obtain games for free.

I hate the shit Sony and MS pulls but there is some protection needed for an open source game console.