Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter: Ouya Video Game Console (Coming to Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy)

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#241 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Look what they were able to do with the PS3. Basically ripping the games to the HD and being able to play them disc free. Some will say there was an altruistic reason for it but we all know this was used to obtain games for free.

Speak for yourself. This is the kind of logic that brands curious minds as dangerous by default. Where would the world be without curiosity? Curiosity is at the core of what it means to be a hacker.

#242 cag1000

cag1000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

If the console is $99 and an extra controller is $30, and then the next pledge gives you a system and 2 controllers etched for $225. If my math is right it is costing you $129 for a console and an extra controller.....and $94 worth of etching...:-k

This project will make a good amount over their goal. So we should expect at least a few decent stretch goals here being announced, for IMO it to be a good thing for early adopters.

#243 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Speak for yourself. This is the kind of logic that brands curious minds as dangerous by default. Where would the world be without curiosity? Curiosity is at the core of what it means to be a hacker.

I develop cancer drugs...I have plenty of curiosity. That does not give me the right to infringe upon the work of my competitor.

#244 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

I decided to jump on this, seems like it will be something fun to play around with.

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#245 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

I develop cancer drugs...I have plenty of curiosity. That does not give me the right to infringe upon the work of my competitor.

You're assuming those who choose to hack (in the older meaning of the term) a console are pirates by default. I know many examples which counter that assumption. Many people choose to hack because they're curious, not because they wish to infringe upon the works of a competitor.

To put it simply, equating hacking with piracy is false.

#246 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

Or encourage it. A lot of people miss the days of crazy cheats. I mean yes you will get games where you are playing a Halo like game and then you face an invincible opponet, but you will also get games where everyone is rocket jumping around the stage and doing crazy things that make it so much more interesting and fun. If you want to play with non cheaters you just make a few friends you can trust and play purely with them. Easy squeezy.

Remember old command and conquer, with the instantly unlocked boming run. Super weapon. Let your opponent build up a massive army,and all you have it barracks, airbase, and construction yard. He comes over with a massive army, you blow 99% of the map to dust, except for your one unit hiding in the far corner.

#247 gmoneyftw

gmoneyftw

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

Talk about going viral.

http://www.kicktraq....eo-game-console

#248 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Haven't done android programming for 3 years now, maybe a good time to pick it up and brush up.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

My Lowball!

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#249 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

People will hack things in order to pirate them but in the end that's just piracy.

I'm far more interested in making devices do things which the manufacturers don't officially support and absolutely nothing I'm talking about infringes on any copyrights or the like. The tools, the apps, the operating systems, etc. = all freely available from the creators.

Right now I have my Kindle Fire partitioned with CM9 Nightlies and Jelly Bean that I'm building myself.

My interests with the OUYA involve similar outcomes of reworking internal storage partitions for use with running Ubuntu natively or turning it into a media center or a little bit of all that depending on how external storage is handled.

It's a $99 SFF PC which encourages me to hack it to bits basically.:whee:
sudo mklove

#250 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

Talk about going viral.

http://www.kicktraq....eo-game-console

If it ended up with $35 mill I think the "Big 3" might take notice. :lol:

#251 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

well damn, almost missed this. just got in on $99. awesome

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#252 Xaliqen

Xaliqen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

I think most of us are pretty excited to see where this project is headed. I'm hopeful it'll help the Android platform.

Edited by Xaliqen, 10 July 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#253 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

I wonder if this is at cost? An extra controller is $30 yet they plan on having a touch screen on each controller. I think it would be awesome but it seems like it is not enough to cover the cost. I hope it is though.
Posted Image

#254 pholly

pholly

Best In The World

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Suckers, this will not live up to expectations. Too bad it'll take so long for people to actually get one, I can't wait to say told ya so. Go ahead and flame away, I know I'm right.

#255 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

I already have an open gaming platform. It is CALLED A COMPUTER.

And isn't this the Zeebo?
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#256 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

Interesting idea. I dont know how revolutionary it is given the existence of things like the Raspberry Pi and the Mele A1000. It seems the real draw will be the unified marketplace but I imagine if its successful enough, itll just show up on other devices.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#257 Namerson

Namerson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

wow it reached it's goal in 8 hours and is still going.
3DS Friend Code: 1203 - 9542 - 1648 (Remember to PM if you add me!)

How not to review a video game: http://blogs.wsj.com...s-to-cross-ove/

I don't consider QTEs gameplay. This "game" is about as deep as the mini games on a disney DVD.

#258 Rockopotamus

Rockopotamus

My riffs are bottomless.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

From what I understand, $99 will be the retail anyway? So you're basically paying for the Founder tag. I just wonder if the controllers will be more than $30.

#259 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

I wonder if this is at cost? An extra controller is $30 yet they plan on having a touch screen on each controller. I think it would be awesome but it seems like it is not enough to cover the cost. I hope it is though.

Touch Pad, not a Touch Screen.

If anything, I'd think they're selling this at a loss. This is essentially a Nexus 7 ($199) with no screen, battery, microphone, GPS, and other little gizmos, but includes a controller.

#260 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Interesting concept. Weird name though.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#261 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Touch Pad, not a Touch Screen.

If anything, I'd think they're selling this at a loss. This is essentially a Nexus 7 ($199) with no screen, battery, microphone, GPS, and other little gizmos, but includes a controller.

Ok that makes more sense. So a touch pad to play touch games on the tv vs. on an actual touch device? I would like to see a demo of that actually.

#262 WafflesPlox

WafflesPlox

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Well I threw my $130 in there, decided to fund this instead of my new hats.

Posted Image

#263 orcishlad

orcishlad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

The wonders of cellphone gaming brought to the big screen.

I'll pass.

#264 Nesboy43

Nesboy43

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

How is this revolutionary at all? Anyone with a desktop computer or the millions of android devices can already play "indie" games. The open development stuff, that is cool but only for a small minority, the average person who would want a game console does not care about something like developing or being able to program the console. Yeah there is some iOS and Android games that make good money but to be honest most of them suck. As to people saying how just cause of specs it will have better graphics than the Wii, that is ludicrous. It's always funny to hear someone with an Android device tell me how "it's actually better than Apple because it has higher specs". The specs don't matter, it's how you use them. Nintendo's Wii produced some amazing looking content, while I have yet to see anything of a Mario Galaxy, Brawl, or even New Super Mario Bros. caliber on any tablet/phone device with "good specs".

As for "indie games" they are nothing more than a developer's inflated ego shown through cutscenes, storytelling, and new grounds flash animation. I like INDEPENDENT games, but this whole "indie scene" is a complete joke. I know real, quality, non-gimmicky independent games can be developed. I dont care if it took 3 people or 500 people to make a game, I just want something that's fun and doesnt insult the player with tutorials and cutscenes. Lots of great games came from small teams, I dont understand why these developers feel the need to rely on stupid looking animals, animation, and Jr. High humor to sell their games. They always have these begging acts going "please support our small independent team" blah blah blah, the good independent developers dont try to put guilt or some gimmick on the consumers to get money.

Also, the average mobile phone game purchaser isn't going to want to spend more money on a new device to use controls when they can get the same experience on their phone. I love real controllers and despise touch controls personally, but most people dont care.

#265 11440

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

So, this platform is being designed specifically for "freemium" games, where revenue comes from in-game purchases, paid unlocks, and subscriptions. Isn't this exactly the business model that has been criticized in the mobile gaming space?

#266 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

^kickstarter just confirmed ouya is there 8th, million dollar project and the biggest first day project ever on the site. Posted Image

#267 wEEman33

wEEman33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

I'd buy one if they got Stuart Scott to scream OUYA on the system startup screen.

#268 DarkZero104

DarkZero104

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

specs definitely don't make the system, that's absolutely true, but it helps a damn lot. PS2 was technically, by hardware, outclassed out the door by PCs easy and spent its career outclassed by the Gamecube and 360, but it still managed to look almost as good due to developers pushing hardware. 1GB of RAM is still plenty to run an operating system like Android, though we don't know how customized it'll be. worse, the timing is going to be a really big problem because Wayne (NVIDIA chip, Tegra 3/Kal-El's sequel) is out in half a year and its rehaul is heavy on the GPU. there's some definite problems that are going to be seen, known, and difficult to overcome from a hardware perspective.

with that said, the indie game scene isn't one i'd compare with movies. on that level, games are simpler to make and enjoy, with less problems, people, and issues. it's a saturated market, especially with all the bundles, but there's some real, legitimate quality in there in sizable quantities that can appeal to just about anyone. we know that smaller devs can, and have, created a lot of impressive games and the idea is that there are more out there worth reaching, especially if they're doing games that aren't regulated to phone/tablet design, but focused more on a desktop (which tablets will also double for as that market gets absorbed into laptops and phones). nobody's investing in this thing to play Angry Birds on their TV, they want some games that don't insult the player or are these 2 minute and put down games. it's something that developers are interseted in, but there's no clear market for it; tablets? not there yet, ask again when the x86 architecture laptop/tablet hybrids (in that order) are out. phones? that's a joke, right?

but this? this shows what a lot of people want.
you CAN make a successful game like this for Android. if for no other reason, there's a successful system behind it and people will want it. the project makes it pretty clear that they want to bring console gaming (hell, handheld) to the system.

#269 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

Ok that makes more sense. So a touch pad to play touch games on the tv vs. on an actual touch device? I would like to see a demo of that actually.

In theory, should work like it sounds. Press the upper left of the touchpad, it corresponds to a "touch" on the upper left of your TV. Given they're fitting this on the controller, it can't be that big, so the precision can't be that good. Might be good for clicking quadrants or gestures.

#270 meta460085

meta460085

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

Suckers, this will not live up to expectations. Too bad it'll take so long for people to actually get one, I can't wait to say told ya so. Go ahead and flame away, I know I'm right.

No reason to flame, your opinion is a valid one your attitude though is less than desirable.