Apple iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) -- Ongoing Sales

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4193 replies to this topic

#3031 kellte2

kellte2

Powerful Stroke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I got to level 77 in Dungelot using the assassin. Started with 80 health and was over 1200 for several levels in the 40s. It's very fun but after a long game like this last one I feel exhausted and don't feel like replaying it. I also don't know how people at the top of the leaderboards get nearly 5 billion points. I only got 139,000 and I'm ranked 230.

I was formerly number one on the leader board (now 3). I didn't do anything to deserve that score, it is a complete glitch. But I'll gladly accept my celebrity status.

#3032 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

I waited...and waited...and waited for Carcassonne to go on sale. It's just too expensive for an iPhone game, no matter how good it is. Then, one day, in a fit of boredom and flush with extra cash (apparently) I just bit the bullet and bought it. It's definitely a great game. I don't know if it's worth the price they're asking, nor would I pay that amount again. Plus a LOT more people would pick up the game if it weren't so darn expensive. It's just like Square-Enix, single-handedly trying to change the pricing structure of the app market. They'd have a lot more sales if their games weren't priced so high. But apparently they're more concerned with trying to stubbornly get every other app maker to raise costs rather than bringing theirs down to at least the same stratosphere as virtually every other app on the market. Fine by me...I can continue not playing their games and they can continue operating in the red.

#3033 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Been trying to get answers about the jigsaw puzzle game Join It all over the place, and can't get any response/answers so I'm asking here.

Does anyone own Join It, and can tell me whether it supports listening to your own music in the background? I also want to know if you can load a custom photo in ipad retina high resolution.

Thanks.

#3034 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I presume they have considered the idea of a sale, and decided that it would not benefit them to do so. Otherwise they would have done it. The game is a lot less expensive than the real thing. See: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00005UNAX/ I think the real game is worth its asking price, so obviously I think the iOS version is worth it's less than half that price.

Crunchewy.png

#3035 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I presume they have considered the idea of a sale, and decided that it would not benefit them to do so. Otherwise they would have done it. The game is a lot less expensive than the real thing. See: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00005UNAX/ I think the real game is worth its asking price, so obviously I think the iOS version is worth it's less than half that price.

It's not necessarily a matter of what it's worth. It's worth what people are willing to pay for it. In the case of stingy developers, the numbers don't bear out that theory. Lower prices lead to higher sales...that's been almost universally proven (in the app store, I mean). Of course, it's a balancing act between devaluing your product and over-pricing it. But there's a lot of ground in between for a game like this...I'm not saying drop it to .99. But even if they were to cut it to $5 or $6, it would drive an increase in sales. The lower they price it, the higher their sales volume is likely to be. The game is already developed, so they just need to cover the ongoing costs of upkeep, improvements, etc. At this point I'd think higher volume would be a much higher priority than a larger margin of profit.

#3036 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Been trying to get answers about the jigsaw puzzle game Join It all over the place, and can't get any response/answers so I'm asking here.

Does anyone own Join It, and can tell me whether it supports listening to your own music in the background? I also want to know if you can load a custom photo in ipad retina high resolution.

Thanks.

Yes, you can listen to your own music (settings control to toggle Sound FX).

No, you can't load your own pics, you can select different backgrounds that are preloaded.

#3037 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Yes, you can listen to your own music (settings control to toggle Sound FX).

No, you can't load your own pics, you can select different backgrounds that are preloaded.

Thanks. I mean load pics to use as the puzzle image, custom puzzles. I would like to know if they display at high retina resolution or are they scaled down by the game.

#3038 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Thanks. I mean load pics to use as the puzzle image, custom puzzles. I would like to know if they display at high retina resolution or are they scaled down by the game.

They don't appear to be scaled down

#3039 envelopes

envelopes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Ok. Last time I looked was a month. What's it matter?

It doesn't. My original comment was just wondering if I had missed something.

It's just like Square-Enix, single-handedly trying to change the pricing structure of the app market. They'd have a lot more sales if their games weren't priced so high. But apparently they're more concerned with trying to stubbornly get every other app maker to raise costs rather than bringing theirs down to at least the same stratosphere as virtually every other app on the market. Fine by me...I can continue not playing their games and they can continue operating in the red.

Who is in the red? Square? I highly doubt that's something they could fix by selling FF Tactics for a dollar.

But there's a lot of ground in between for a game like this...I'm not saying drop it to .99. But even if they were to cut it to $5 or $6, it would drive an increase in sales. The lower they price it, the higher their sales volume is likely to be. The game is already developed, so they just need to cover the ongoing costs of upkeep, improvements, etc.

The game used to be $5. That's when I bought it. They raised the price and kept it there. They must be making money there.

Carcassonne is fundamentally a niche game. It's never going to sell even 5% of like tiny wings, even if it is free. They have to charge what it's worth to survive.

It's very fun but after a long game like this last one I feel exhausted and don't feel like replaying it. I also don't know how people at the top of the leaderboards get nearly 5 billion points

Cheating or glitches. :-)

#3040 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Who is in the red? Square? I highly doubt that's something they could fix by selling FF Tactics for a dollar.

Their mobile division is. And other developers in similar situations have actually shown that it DOES make a difference. Again, not $1, but if they bumped their games from $15.99 (or the even more absurdly priced Dimensions at $23 or something) down to $7.99, their sales would increase exponentially.

The game used to be $5. That's when I bought it. They raised the price and kept it there. They must be making money there.

Must they?

Carcassonne is fundamentally a niche game. It's never going to sell even 5% of like tiny wings, even if it is free. They have to charge what it's worth to survive.

Because survival is better than MAKING money. That's my point...rather than these developers just breaking even, they could actually make profit on these games by more volume. More volume = word-of-mouth = more sales. Selling 1,000,000 units at $2 profit is better than selling 100,000 at $8 profit every time.

#3041 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

I don't think you understand his point at all.

If you could sell 1M units at $2 vs 100k at $8, that'd be great. But he's saying that it's so niche that you're not gonna sell that amount. (or 10M or whatever number you want.)

Economic models aren't as simple as "lower price, sell more."

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#3042 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I don't think you understand his point at all.

If you could sell 1M units at $2 vs 100k at $8, that'd be great. But he's saying that it's so niche that you're not gonna sell that amount. (or 10M or whatever number you want.)

Economic models aren't as simple as "lower price, sell more."

I understand it, I just don't agree with it. The biggest problem with "niche" titles is name recognition. And my point is that they aren't going to get it when they've priced themselves out of the market. This game isn't any more niche than any other board-game-to-iOS-port (Catan, for example), but they aren't going to push into the market any more with their current price-point.

#3043 outphase

outphase

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Maybe they view it as 1. respecting the people who paid full price and 2. selling the game for what they feel it's worth. If you create a history of price drops, people are less inclined to spend full price in the future. In fact, that's why you're taking the stance you have taken.

#3044 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I understand it, I just don't agree with it. The biggest problem with "niche" titles is name recognition. And my point is that they aren't going to get it when they've priced themselves out of the market. This game isn't any more niche than any other board-game-to-iOS-port (Catan, for example), but they aren't going to push into the market any more with their current price-point.

You assume they will sell more units if they lower the price. But will they sell marginally more units to justify the price decrease? That's what isn't a given.

I bought NFSMW on android cause it was $1.49 or something. But I'm not sure carcasonne or catan has that type of elasticity.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#3045 mbrown3

mbrown3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

You assume they will sell more units if they lower the price. But will they sell marginally more units to justify the price decrease? That's what isn't a given.

I bought NFSMW on android cause it was $1.49 or something. But I'm not sure carcasonne or catan has that type of elasticity.

Yes, that is an assumption...though I'd say it's more of an "educated guess", based on other companies with similar apps that had that experience where lowering the price led to massive increases in sales. Again, Carcassonne doesn't need to drop to .99 or 1.99. But even halving what they do now would make a difference. There are some people (for right or for wrong) for whom that is their price ceiling for any app. There are folks that would be willing to bit at that price that won't at the current price.

Oh, and what is NFSMW? Need for Speed Modern Warfare?

#3046 The Linguist

The Linguist

.5 man + .5 bear + .5 pig

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Not a game, but might be fun: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies interactive ebook (free for ltd time)
https://itunes.apple...app/id473525433

#3047 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Yes, that is an assumption...though I'd say it's more of an "educated guess", based on other companies with similar apps that had that experience where lowering the price led to massive increases in sales. Again, Carcassonne doesn't need to drop to .99 or 1.99. But even halving what they do now would make a difference. There are some people (for right or for wrong) for whom that is their price ceiling for any app. There are folks that would be willing to bit at that price that won't at the current price.

Oh, and what is NFSMW? Need for Speed Most Wanted

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Wolfenstein  :ps4: Octodad   :360:    :ps3: Used for a 3D player now   :3ds:-Pokémon X, Zelda:ALBW (3DS FC: 0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/

#3048 Daviddenton3

Daviddenton3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

I always assumed that part of price drops is to gain ground on the top 100 list. More people download something at the dropped price it rises ranks and becomes more visible in the store even after the price returns to normal. Most people don't keep track of games like us.
Games with higher price points hit the charts when they first come out and then disappear when the early adopters have gotten theirs. If its not in the top 100 people tend to forget about it.

#3049 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

They don't appear to be scaled down

Thanks for the feedback, haven't been able to find these answers even after email and tweeting the official support. Gonna buy it tonight.

#3050 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback, haven't been able to find these answers even after email and tweeting the official support. Gonna buy it tonight.

Heh, no problem, your request actually made me play it, I installed it a while ago and hadn't tested it. Pretty cool!

Enjoy :D

#3051 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Heh, no problem, your request actually made me play it, I installed it a while ago and hadn't tested it. Pretty cool!

Enjoy :D

Yeah, I tried a free but very limited jigsaw app by the same developer and really like the functionality of it, better than the couple of other jigsaw apps I checked out. This appears to be the best one out there. It muted your background music and had low res puzzles so I wanted to make sure the full game doesn't have those limitations.

Played around with Join It, yeah it looks really great with my high resolution custom puzzles.

Edited by Solid-Snake-Eyes, 26 January 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#3052 joker______

joker______

Careful...Icarus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

i didn't see this posted but Ghostbusters came out for free:

http://appshopper.co.../ghostbusters-2
Posted Image

#3053 3check

3check

World Builder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

Worth it for the splash screen music alone. I was wigglin around in my bed for a while to that jam.
It cut off my podcast I was listening to though, so I never got past that first screen.
It's free to play so I'm sure you can spend real $ on more ghostbux or something

#3054 KenKeith

KenKeith

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

PLEASE NOTE: Ghostbusters™ is free to play, but charges real money for additional in-app content. You may lock out the ability to purchase in-app content by adjusting your device’s settings.

#3055 XClaude

XClaude

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

PLEASE NOTE: Ghostbusters™ is free to play, but charges real money for additional in-app content. You may lock out the ability to purchase in-app content by adjusting your device’s settings.

lol... I closed the window as soon as I see that.

#3056 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Noticed that Tiny Kingdom was "new" on AppShopper, but when I clicked there, it's actually FREE! for 1 day only. I guess launching the game will also add 50 free coins ... ???

70109.png
I don't always buy :360: points, but when I do, I click this CrazyGameTime affiliate link below
Cornelius's gamercard, so CGT will forward 2% of the proceeds so he can buy more points!

#3057 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Noticed that Tiny Kingdom was "new" on AppShopper, but when I clicked there, it's actually FREE! for 1 day only. I guess launching the game will also add 50 free coins ... ???

Good lookin out, I'll give it a try.

#3058 XClaude

XClaude

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Good lookin out, I'll give it a try.

Looks to be a pretty interesting game. With mechanics in game to obtain crystals.

Add me and I'll water your tree! Hotbread.

#3059 croqoa

croqoa

Turd Sandwich

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

"Build and Explain Your Land"

lol...
Posted Image

#3060 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Played a bit and like it, but then I minimized it, did something else and went back to it and it started me over at the character creation screen so I lost my progress! Frustrating.