Apple iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) -- Ongoing Sales

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4193 replies to this topic

#61 jimbach13

jimbach13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

is there a thread like this for Android gaming?

There is an android sales thread, but it isn't active at all. Don't even remember the last time I read the android thread

#62 Computersnacks

Computersnacks

All Snack Everything!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

Probably old news, but man does this ESPN Radio app situation suck. They originally charged 2.99 for the app which allowed live streaming of their radio stations. They recently "updated" the app, and now it's free to download but users have to pay 4.99 for live streaming.
That's really crappy, and as Apple doesn't seem to care, is this a possibility for other apps that have been bought and paid for? I know, for instance, Tetris was pulled and replaced by a new version, but this is the same exact app.

What's really odd is that you can stream most of the stations with other, mostly free, apps anyway.

Agreed. I didn't get it until it was free, but I feel for anyone who shelled out good money to have this bait and switch pulled on them!

#63 Dimsdale

Dimsdale

OpenFeint: Dimms

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:36 AM

Boom Town HD (Universal) is the main FAAD game right now.
"Boom Town is an original puzzle game in which you grow your town to make it as large as possible. Safe for the whole family to play - simple enough for children, challenging for adults!
The more clever you are at building your town, the more points you score. You build your city by matching three or more game pieces: combine three grasses to make a tumble weed, three tumble weeds to make a cactus... until you've got some saloons, hotels, and even captured a few villains along the way. When you run out of space you can use dynamite to create some room. Boom Town HD includes 20 dynamite bomb, but you can earn more dynamite."

#64 Kazuya

Kazuya

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

Probably old news, but man does this ESPN Radio app situation suck. They originally charged 2.99 for the app which allowed live streaming of their radio stations. They recently "updated" the app, and now it's free to download but users have to pay 4.99 for live streaming.
That's really crappy, and as Apple doesn't seem to care, is this a possibility for other apps that have been bought and paid for? I know, for instance, Tetris was pulled and replaced by a new version, but this is the same exact app.

What's really odd is that you can stream most of the stations with other, mostly free, apps anyway.

To be fair to everyone, this is basically a byproduct of the crappy Apple ecosystem (Apple was late to the game with in app purchases and subscriptions) and I expect to see this pop up more and more as time goes on, especially with legacy apps that pre-date in app purchases.

While I understand why people are upset, I can't imagine anyone would have a reasonable expectation that they could buy the app for $2.99 and use it FOREVER. Yet when this app came out in 2009, basically the only options available were to charge a one-time fee or make it free.

#65 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Flick Kick Football (aka soccer) has dropped to free for the first time.

http://appshopper.co...k-kick-football

Crunchewy.png

#66 Taren Fox

Taren Fox

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Has anyone used the AVID video editing app? How does it compare to iMovie?

#67 Dimsdale

Dimsdale

OpenFeint: Dimms

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Rabbids in regular and HD flavors are FREE for the first time.
From the HD (Universal) version:
"There is a Rabbid stuck in your device!
Get your fingers on the brand new version of the Rabbids app’ available this time for Ipad and enjoy yourself torturing and interacting with your very own Rabbid.
With the new Rabbids app’, discover new moves and interactive accessories to mess with your captive Rabbid to your heart’s delight; take memorable photos with him and share your raving pictures with your community through Facebook; get direct access to the latest news, videos, wallpapers, etc. directly on your device."

Simon Game HD
(Universal) is also FREE for the first time.
"Remember the legendary Simon Says game? Now enjoy it again just like you remember!
★★★★★ One of the top Games of 2012! ★★★★★
Fun and addictive, now for a special price!
Graphics are sharp and crisp (Retina for iPhone), and the Sounds are everything you've expected.
It's the BEST on the App Store, with the "Look and Feel" of a real game!"

MotoHeroz
(both iPhone and iPad versions) is FREE once again for those who may have missed it on sale previously.
"MotoHeroz takes the fun, fast gameplay of a Trials style game, adds it to a frantic rally race, and delivers a fresh new kind of side-scrolling, platform racing game.
Players race, chase, and rally their way through a brightly colored world, competing against their friends for the fastest times, entering daily races, and hunting for secrets and coins."

#68 fujishig

fujishig

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

To be fair to everyone, this is basically a byproduct of the crappy Apple ecosystem (Apple was late to the game with in app purchases and subscriptions) and I expect to see this pop up more and more as time goes on, especially with legacy apps that pre-date in app purchases.

While I understand why people are upset, I can't imagine anyone would have a reasonable expectation that they could buy the app for $2.99 and use it FOREVER. Yet when this app came out in 2009, basically the only options available were to charge a one-time fee or make it free.

When you buy an app, whether it's for 99c or 2.99 or whatever, why shouldn't you assume that you can use it forever? With that logic, the people that pay 4.99 for the in-app purchase now can expect to get screwed over in a year or two. I don't think they're advertising the 4.99 in app purchase as a sub that needs to be renewed (though I may be wrong, and if that's the case, I don't get why anyone would pay that).

#69 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

You have a terrible imagination then. When I buy something, I do expect to be able to use it whenever I want. I can understand that there are a certain number of licenses and if I replace my device, I may be forced to rebuy certain content..but I expect that app to be tied to my device/account from the moment I buy it until I decide not to use it anymore.

If ESPN decided to get rid of their Radio division altogether then I could understand. The content is no longer there to access. But the app itself should never need to be repurchased because you have owned it for a certain amount of time when that was not something they advertised when they sold the product.

#70 Alcedes

Alcedes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Anyone try Fieldrunners 2 yet? I'm disappointed it's not universal, so i'll probably wait till the inevitable HD version to come out and maybe pickup the iPhone version when it drops to .99 cents. Looks amazing though.

#71 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'm a HUGE Dragon's lair/Laser Disc gamefan, and this is just about as good as it gets. It takes the original memorized game play of the early 80's, and adds in actual gameplay elements. Due to it's nature, it is still limited and some what basic, but much more interactive than earlier efforts.

Finally got around to play it and you nailed it. The Act is an evolved take of the dragons lair gameplay. You're able to adjust the control choice on the fly. So if you go too far in one direction you can pull back some and still keep going. Much better than having to wait for a reload

And while short, I had fun with it save for the choking man scene. Still not sure how I got thru that. Ended up with 23 retries and almost all of them were due to that one part

#72 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Finally got around to play it and you nailed it. The Act is an evolved take of the dragons lair gameplay. You're able to adjust the control choice on the fly. So if you go too far in one direction you can pull back some and still keep going. Much better than having to wait for a reload

And while short, I had fun with it save for the choking man scene. Still not sure how I got thru that. Ended up with 23 retries and almost all of them were due to that one part

Yeah ultimately it is incredibly short, maybe 15 minutes if you never fail (it probably took me 20-25 minutes), but it has alot of charm and the gameplay's not nearly as frustrating as the "guess, die and try again" pattern that Dragon's Lair popularized. It's alot easier to figure out what they're expecting you to do in each scene. As for the choking man:
Spoiler

#73 Dave4282

Dave4282

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Anybody know what the difference is between Great Little War Game HD & the regular version? Are the graphics just a little more crisp? Is the HD version for iphone 4S, or just ipad?

#74 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Anybody know what the difference is between Great Little War Game HD & the regular version? Are the graphics just a little more crisp? Is the HD version for iphone 4S, or just ipad?

HD version is optimized for the screens on iPhone 4/4s and iPad. Doesn't support new iPads resolution but still runs perfectly on it
Posted Image

#75 Dave4282

Dave4282

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Gotcha..any idea why there are two HD versions?

#76 guessed

guessed

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Gotcha..any idea why there are two HD versions?

You mean the full version and the lite version?
Will 'watch Family Guy with you and explain the pop culture references you don't understand' for food.

#77 Dave4282

Dave4282

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

Probably, I didn't realize there was a full and lite version, as they both looked the same. Is there much difference between the free and lite versions?

#78 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

The full version is free, the lite is a demo and is always free. You want the full version
Posted Image

#79 CH82

CH82

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Been waiting forever for Chaos rings to go on sale. I don't understand why SE prices their stuff sky high.

#80 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Been waiting forever for Chaos rings to go on sale. I don't understand why SE prices their stuff sky high.

Not only that, there are no demos

Chaos Rings II is the only game ive ever pirated for iOS. And its a piece of garbage
Posted Image

#81 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

treasures of montezuma 2 is free and universal, good gem matching fix

#82 locashcrimering

locashcrimering

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Anyone try Fieldrunners 2 yet? I'm disappointed it's not universal, so i'll probably wait till the inevitable HD version to come out and maybe pickup the iPhone version when it drops to .99 cents. Looks amazing though.

I decided to pick it up, having spent hours on the original back around when it came out. I'm not regretting the purchase at all. It improves on the 1st game in every area. The touch controls are spot on, the art style is fantastic, there's a lot of new environments/enemy types/towers/power-ups etc and the individual soldiers have rag doll like physics when they fall off a motorcycle, sidecar etc. So yea I'm really liking it. :D

#83 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good drawing/doodle app? I'll pay for one rather than have annoying ads if I need too. Looking for a native iPad app, and Doodle Buddy is not great.
Posted Image

#84 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

I decided to pick it up, having spent hours on the original back around when it came out. I'm not regretting the purchase at all. It improves on the 1st game in every area. The touch controls are spot on, the art style is fantastic, there's a lot of new environments/enemy types/towers/power-ups etc and the individual soldiers have rag doll like physics when they fall off a motorcycle, sidecar etc. So yea I'm really liking it. :D

Agreed, I'm enjoying it a lot. Nice break from Kingdom Rush (even though I think that's still the best TD game on iOS).

#85 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good drawing/doodle app? I'll pay for one rather than have annoying ads if I need too. Looking for a native iPad app, and Doodle Buddy is not great.

Draw something. Basically pictionary with friends. There are both free and paid versions.

#86 Ginger Junk

Ginger Junk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

Arcadroid and Arcadroid HD are free for the first time:

http://appshopper.com/games/arcadroid
http://appshopper.co...es/arcadroid-hd

#87 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:17 AM

Does anyone know what "painting" app it is that they're advertising in the new ipad commercial? In the commercial there's a brief clip of a person making their own watercolor-esque painting and it's piqued my curiosity

#88 Slayerfaith1982

Slayerfaith1982

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

Yea I have like 6 or 7 square games on watch on appshopper waiting for them to drop. Hope they do soon

#89 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

Draw something. Basically pictionary with friends. There are both free and paid versions.

I have that, I'm looking for something to just draw or let my daughter draw. Not a game but an app.
Posted Image

#90 blk00civicsi

blk00civicsi

Pillsbury Island

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:16 AM

@iamsmart - I believe it's ArtRage.