Apple iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) -- Ongoing Sales

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4193 replies to this topic

#1621 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Pizza Vs Skeletons Full version, normally $2.99, is free for today.

https://itunes.apple...475212472?mt=8'> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pizza-vs.-skeletons/id475212472?mt=8

I toss my recommendation to this game. Funny and fun, was happy to pay for it a while back.

mqqgUvv.jpg   ECqYO0a.jpg
My action/scifi novel, Still Man Fights, is available in paperback and e-book form at Amazon.com.

My new travelogue, Japan Chronicles: of Rock Gods and J-Pop Idols, is also on Amazon.com.

#1622 io

io

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Heh - I didn't even have any idea there was a "new" iPad 3 that just came out. I bought one a few weeks back for my son's birthday and only found out later it was something new. I actually wanted to buy a Mini for him but Best Buy didn't have them in stock.

There's no way of even knowing you have the newest one except for model number, right? Mine is MD510LL/A which I'm pretty sure is the newest. It's not like they has the "old" new ones and the "new" new ones together at different prices to compare or anything (though Best Buy did run an online deal with $70 or so off the "old" new ones right after I got mine).

As it was I got a pretty good deal for it and I'm glad I got this over the Mini. I got it for $60 off with Best Buy's Black Friday preview sale, then I got $50 back from the Halo 4 AMEX promo and another $20 back from a different AMEX promo. So it cost me $370 brand new. Not too bad.

I have no idea what is better about it over the one that came out 6 months ago. I mean, I know it has a different processor but I don't see how that effects anything since all the apps have to run on the older one anyway.

#1623 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

There's no way of even knowing you have the newest one except for model number, right?

The most obvious way to tell is what connector it uses for the charging/sync cable. If it uses the new Lightning cable, it's the iPad 4. If it uses the old 30-pin iPod cable, it's the iPad 3.

And yeah, the biggest change is the new processor, which is supposedly twice as fast. It probably won't make a big difference right now (at least not with most apps), but in another year or two when the iPad 3 is starting to feel slow and obsolete with newer apps, it'll have a bit more life to it. That being said, I can see some overall performance difference between my iPad 3 and my iPhone 5 (which also uses the new processor), so I'm assuming that a similar difference would be visible between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4.

Edited by arcane93, 06 December 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#1624 LimeWire

LimeWire

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

I recently got the iphone 5 and i just realized i missed sooooo manyyyyy great sales from the app store. Is there any chance that the GTA games and the other good selling titles be on sale during Christmas?

#1625 Arcoril

Arcoril

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

You guys make it sound like apple has a secret plan to force people to upgrade. The only reason the iPad 1st gen never got iOS6 is it only has 256 megs of ram. That's it, no conspiracy theory or evil intentions. The iphone 4 has the same cpu and guess what? it has 512megs of ram and got ios6. Runs like shit, but it runs.

There's a reason most developers are requiring ios6, more memory makes it much easier to create the kickass games we take for granted.

Let's try to stay on topic, if you hate apple, go buy an android POS and enjoy the leftover IOS backports.

Your argument makes no sense. The 3GS got a subset of iOS 6. It has a slower CPU than the iPhone 4 and only 256 MB of RAM. There's no technical reason for dropping the iPad 1; Apple simply chose not to support it.

#1626 xplode427

xplode427

can't buy me love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

Lets try to stay on topic please.

Sonic jump on sale for $ 0.99

#1627 Stimes

Stimes

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Pizza vs. Zombies and Ski Safari are pretty great. Thanks again.

#1628 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

Vice City tomorrow bitches!

I recently got the iphone 5 and i just realized i missed sooooo manyyyyy great sales from the app store. Is there any chance that the GTA games and the other good selling titles be on sale during Christmas?

Possibly. Grand Theft Auto 3 came out roughly around this time last year, and was on sale for 99 cents by the end of December if I recall correctly... it's possible the same will happen with Vice City. There were other notable deals that hit around Christmas as well, though I can't remember them all at the moment.

#1629 envelopes

envelopes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

Your argument makes no sense. The 3GS got a subset of iOS 6. It has a slower CPU than the iPhone 4 and only 256 MB of RAM. There's no technical reason for dropping the iPad 1; Apple simply chose not to support it.

The iPad 1 was so fucking slow with iOS 5. It sucks, but the device just wasn't up to the task.

And comparing the 3GS to the iPad is no good - the iPad runs at a much higher resolution.

Also, I would phrase "There's no technical reason for dropping the iPad 1; Apple simply chose not to support it." in the opposite way - the only reason Apple supported the 3GS was because they DIDN'T have a choice. They were still selling it when iOS 6 came out!

But yeah, this definitely isn't a situation I would call "planned" obsolescence. (How could they have planned it this way? and why?) The iPad was a brand new product, no tablet had ever sold those kinds of numbers before, etc. Notice at this point they're still selling the iPad 2, and I expect that will have a much longer lifespan in terms of updates.

#1630 247

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

Trust me, you don't want iOS 6 on the original ipad. Can't imagine how slow apps would run on that thing :-# Be happy the ipad 2 and 3GS is still getting updates.

#1631 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

Trust me, you don't want iOS 6 on the original ipad. Can't imagine how slow apps would run on that thing :-# Be happy the ipad 2 and 3GS is still getting updates.

It's all a matter of perspective really. Like the other day when I met a guy to sell my ipad 2, he told me it was an early Christmas gift for his wife who was still using the iPhone 2! Text me later thanking me again and saying just HOW much of an upgrade it was for her.

Us tech savvys on the other hand like our new toys. This ipad 3 is doing me wonders, but yea, I'd like to have a 4th gen, just because I'm thinking of the long run big picture. Might as well try to sell the 3 now while its value is still holding, than a year or two down the road where it MIGHT be lucky enough to fetch $200
Posted Image

#1632 bsmiff

bsmiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Hoping it'll drop early tonight. It's already up on the NZ store apparently.

#1633 guessed

guessed

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hoping it'll drop early tonight. It's already up on the NZ store apparently.

Available now @ $4.99: Appshopper / iTunes
Will 'watch Family Guy with you and explain the pop culture references you don't understand' for food.

#1634 bbedwards

bbedwards

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

wtf is going on in this thread? Mods, can you please clean up all the ot discussion? It's super annoying.

There are plenty of other places to bitch about apple's business practices people.

#1635 thundarr

thundarr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

^butthurt^

#1636 bsmiff

bsmiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

Available now @ $4.99: Appshopper / iTunes

:bouncy:

#1637 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

$5 gone ... back to the 80's we go ... these are the nights I'm glad to be an iPad owner ...

#1638 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

Are any of the GTA remake apps worth it? Even on my ipad now, I find any game with a joystick to just be a real PITA. Especially games like Dead Trigger...it doesn't feel fluid enough and I feel like I have to keep stopping to swipe my finger.

Played a bit of 9mm today, the first time since I played it on my iPhone when I bought it, and while it was cool, I still felt a bit of the same as I stated above...the layout of the run button, the look swipe, etc etc..
Posted Image

#1639 kitara91

kitara91

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

wow GTA VC and Modern Combat 4 in a day. gonna wait till the price drop though

#1640 bsmiff

bsmiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

Are any of the GTA remake apps worth it? Even on my ipad now, I find any game with a joystick to just be a real PITA. Especially games like Dead Trigger...it doesn't feel fluid enough and I feel like I have to keep stopping to swipe my finger.

Played a bit of 9mm today, the first time since I played it on my iPhone when I bought it, and while it was cool, I still felt a bit of the same as I stated above...the layout of the run button, the look swipe, etc etc..

GTA 3 and VC both play really well on iOS, even the phone. Customizable control placement makes it even better. Easily worth the money.

#1641 NaiveCynic

NaiveCynic

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

The Sims Medieval has gone free. It looks and feels pretty dated, but the price is right.

#1642 n00bie

n00bie

Grazing for cheap games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

^butthurt^

I don't blame him. You're not helping.

#1643 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Snapseed got an update and went free
https://itunes.apple...439438619?mt=8'> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/snapseed/id439438619?mt=8

#1644 Junpei

Junpei

Think big. Start small. Move fast.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Into the Dead is the new freemium game by PikPok: a blend of endless runner, FPS and everybody's beloved zombies which is actually quite cool, and it comes with a nice sub-missions system to gradually unlock power-ups without dishing out real bucks.
Protip: don't even try to attempt your distance record before Mission 5, or else you'll be in a world of trouble since it requires to set your best distance without killing a single zombie.

Oh, and Pizza vs. Skeletons went free too for the first time IIRC... you know you want this game, so download it NOW!!! :bouncy:
Posted Image

Check your PMs. I left that one out of the group that went under my pits.

#1645 Shimrra

Shimrra

Hello Ladies !!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Into the Dead is the new freemium game by PikPok: a blend of endless runner, FPS and everybody's beloved zombies which is actually quite cool, and it comes with a nice sub-missions system to gradually unlock power-ups without dishing out real bucks.

Link for the US release of Into The Dead.
https://itunes.apple...d535609266?mt=8

A beautiful 35-year-old ain’t as as good lookin’ as an ugly 19-year-old. Women expect us to like them but they don’t even like each other” Patrice O’neal

Shimrra74.png2rfy52g.jpg

#1646 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

The iphone 4 has the same cpu and guess what? it has 512megs of ram and got ios6. Runs like shit, but it runs

On the contrary, iOS 6 breathed new life into my iPhone 4. It does not "run like shit". Not at all. It runs much better than iOS 5 did, in fact. With iOS 5 I had to manually quit apps all the time to get it to run reasonably well. With iOS 6 it runs smooth as butter without any effort on my part.

#1647 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Holy mess...Into the Dead is insanely fun and addictive. They implemented the upgrade system of temple run perfectly, just making it where you actually have weapons now. I can see myself playing this one for a while!
Posted Image

#1648 guessed

guessed

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Smash Cops Heat is new, and free: http://appshopper.co...smash-cops-heat

Not sure if it will remain free, or if that is just an intro "price". But I had a lot of fun with the original Smash Cops, so picked this up.
Will 'watch Family Guy with you and explain the pop culture references you don't understand' for food.

#1649 Junpei

Junpei

Think big. Start small. Move fast.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Smash Cops Heat is new, and free: http://appshopper.co...smash-cops-heat

Not sure if it will remain free, or if that is just an intro "price". But I had a lot of fun with the original Smash Cops, so picked this up.

I suppose it's just a freemium version of the first one, as it feels and play exactly the same with only a few "additions"... namely, some graphical improvements and power ups that are now fully tied to IAPs.

I'd love a full fledged (and full priced, even though the first wasn't exactly easy on IAPs) sequel, but this one is a pass... :bouncy:
Posted Image

Check your PMs. I left that one out of the group that went under my pits.

#1650 EvilIA

EvilIA

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I liked the first smash cops, thanks for the heads up.