Apple iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) -- Ongoing Sales

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4193 replies to this topic

#2881 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Summoner Wars is also on sale. The base game is free for 1 faction. You can unlock everything (8 factions in all) via IAP for $0.99. It's usually $8.99 I think. It's an awesome card/strategy game. I highly recommend it.

I like fluxx in real life, but the ios version is weird to play.

I'd also recommend buying ascension and it's expansions. It's a very good deck building card game.

And the Ascension base games and all the expansions are on sale for $0.99 each.

Workin on it

#2882 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Any opinions on iPad 2 vs the new one? Been rocking my 2 for awhile and was wondering if it was worth upgrading?

#2883 Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thanks. Grabbed FLUXX just because I have heard so much about the actual physical card version being good.

Anyone have an opinion on Penny Arcade or Nightfall? I'm into monsters so thinking bout burning some credit on Nightfall...

For $.99, you can't go wrong with either.

Penny Arcade has been getting a lot of my time lately. Like Ascension, it's not a game I enjoy in real life as much, but something about the way it works digitally makes the whole thing flow much better (and games go much quicker, too). Make sure you turn on the Randomizer after your first play, though.

Nightfall is a little more fiddly. And the tutorial is pretty terrible (unless they've fixed that). But the instructions aren't too complicated. If you read them, you'll figure out how to play. And gameplay can be a lot of fun once it gets going. This is actually a game I prefer IRL, though it's still not one I play very often. Part of it is that so much is focused on the combo system, yet I very rarely feel like I can pull off any interesting combos. Still, you'll get your $.99 out of it.

#2884 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Fluxx is like Munchkin or Monopoly or Risk. It's a mindless party game at best, and at worst a giant drag with its stupidly variable game length. Not a good game and a digital version removes the joy of playing with friends. For $1 on IPhone you could do a LOT worse though.

Ascension is a definite buy. You'd be silly NOT to buy it and all the expansions. I really hope the newest expansion hits iphone but hopefully not at the cost of delaying Playdek's Tanto Cuore and Agricola. If I could preorder iphone apps, I would be on these like white on rice. Shouldn't give Apple any MORE terrible ideas though.

Nightfall is hard to play async online because so much of it revolves around fiddly chain and defense plays in other people's turns. It tries to only pass the baton to people who CAN play but that's still a lot of passing or damage allocation. That said, it's a great game.

Summoner Wars is tough to figure out but it's a fun Chess-Magic hybrid without the CCG crap.

#2885 Chemosh013

Chemosh013

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

For $.99, you can't go wrong with either.

Penny Arcade has been getting a lot of my time lately. Like Ascension, it's not a game I enjoy in real life as much, but something about the way it works digitally makes the whole thing flow much better (and games go much quicker, too). Make sure you turn on the Randomizer after your first play, though.

Nightfall is a little more fiddly. And the tutorial is pretty terrible (unless they've fixed that). But the instructions aren't too complicated. If you read them, you'll figure out how to play. And gameplay can be a lot of fun once it gets going. This is actually a game I prefer IRL, though it's still not one I play very often. Part of it is that so much is focused on the combo system, yet I very rarely feel like I can pull off any interesting combos. Still, you'll get your $.99 out of it.

Thanks for this. I picked up Penny Arcade because I love ascension on my iphone / ipad. Ascension is just an amazingly well done game. The game and the expansions are well worth 99 cents each. I play that game multiple times a day against a group of opponents I found randomly through their matchmaking. I've had the same group of opponents for probably upwards of 3 or 4 months and we always rematch. The game's asynchronous multiplayer is just phenomenal and I'm hoping Penny Arcade is similar.

Just to chime in on Nightfall. I really like the game and the art style but it's terrible unless you're going to be playing with someone at the same time. Unlike Ascension, where each person can take their full turn without any input from the other player, Nightfall has a lot of back and forth within the turns. So it can take a very long time to get a single turn done, because you will play a card, then they have a chance to play a card, you attack, then they can block, then your next person attacks, then they have another chance to block. It makes the multiplayer really slog.

ach.png

#2886 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

the artist formerly known as pete not pete

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Any opinions on iPad 2 vs the new one? Been rocking my 2 for awhile and was wondering if it was worth upgrading?

My experience has been no, it's not worth it. Hold out until the next round of upgrades and it'll hopefully feel like you're getting something new as opposed to a minor upgrade.

MildObstruction.png

#2887 biocat

biocat

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

I love Ascension and Nightfall but I have question about them. How do you check a finished game? Sometimes I'm playing a game with others and then suddenly the game just disappears without any kind of notification. I would like to see how I did and who won, but it seems like you can't? Maybe I'm just missing something.

#2888 croqoa

croqoa

Turd Sandwich

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Was just going to come post about the Summoner Wars bundle for $0.99 instead of $8 but looks like you all beat me to it. Game is very simple but has a lot of strategy to it and I'd highly recommend it for this cheap.
Posted Image

#2889 Multicron

Multicron

Extreme OCD Victim

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Summoner Wars is an absolute must-buy at $1.

#2890 crookshow

crookshow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

My experience has been no, it's not worth it. Hold out until the next round of upgrades and it'll hopefully feel like you're getting something new as opposed to a minor upgrade.

Sorry, but anyone who says this has obviously never used an iPad 3/4. The Retina display alone is a massive upgrade over the 2, not to mention the substantial performance increases. Non-retina Apple screens look noticeably bad to me now, even on the iPad mini.

That being said, after the short release window between iPad 3 and 4, I would only buy a new iPad around launch going forward if you don't want to risk being burned.

#2891 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

I still don't feel that the difference between the iPad 2 (which I own) and the iPad 4 (or whatever you want to call the current gen) is as significant as the jump between the iPad 1 and the iPad 2. The 1 to 2 jump literally felt like a reasonable upgrade all around. I've had the opportunity to use a current gen iPad at length and while the display is nice, I'm personally holding out for the next or even the next-next model. I'm not a power user by any means; I play games, surf the net, work on documents/spreadsheets,etc. So, until I feel like the upgrade is worth the $400+ or until the iPad 2 is app-wise kicked to the curb, I'm content waiting.

#2892 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

I would like to see the exact same performance as the iPad 4, but much lighter. If they can make a full size iPad that is lighter than the iPad 2, then I'd be way more inclined to buy it. As it stands the 4 is heavier than the 2, and the 2 is already a bit too much on the heavy side, IMHO. For now the iPad 2 performs great for me.

Crunchewy.png

#2893 3check

3check

World Builder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the summoner wars heads up.
I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on all the playdek games.
It's a new scene to me and I think they are all worth the .99

#2894 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I still don't feel that the difference between the iPad 2 (which I own) and the iPad 4 (or whatever you want to call the current gen) is as significant as the jump between the iPad 1 and the iPad 2. The 1 to 2 jump literally felt like a reasonable upgrade all around. I've had the opportunity to use a current gen iPad at length and while the display is nice, I'm personally holding out for the next or even the next-next model. I'm not a power user by any means; I play games, surf the net, work on documents/spreadsheets,etc. So, until I feel like the upgrade is worth the $400+ or until the iPad 2 is app-wise kicked to the curb, I'm content waiting.

You make several valid points, and as far as what I use my ipad 4 for, it's pretty much the same as you; casual web browsing and some games here and there.

But I'm not sure what everyone is expecting in the "new-new" ipad. Considering Retina is practically "super-HD", and that's what next gen game consoles are aiming for...I doubt you see any improvement over the Retina screen for a good while. Which is fine, because current gen Apple specs/hardware already trump anything Android sends out.

Next big step for Apple will probably be a Retina mini, and even then, it'll pretty much be the same specs as the ipad 4, just in a smaller version...which some may like more, while others don't because they prefer a larger display. So even then, the retina mini won't be 100% confirmed to be "better" than the ipad 4.

I think everyone watches too many movies and expects the new ipad, game console, phone, WHATEVER it may be, to be like Tony Stark's devices in Iron Man with the futuristic in-air layout and see-through plexi glass, etc. I think it'll be some time before anything like that hits shelves and even then, you better have a Tony Stark spending budget...
Posted Image

#2895 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

the artist formerly known as pete not pete

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Sorry, but anyone who says this has obviously never used an iPad 3/4. The Retina display alone is a massive upgrade over the 2, not to mention the substantial performance increases. Non-retina Apple screens look noticeably bad to me now, even on the iPad mini.

That being said, after the short release window between iPad 3 and 4, I would only buy a new iPad around launch going forward if you don't want to risk being burned.

I actually swapped out my 2 for a 3 on release week, so I've definitely used it. The retina display, while certainly pretty, just feels like a shinier coat of paint and good marketing over the same product that I had previously. I'm sure that for those that spend hours playing high end 3d graphics games on the ipad the hardware specs make a difference, but in my experience (as a casual user/gamer - think PvZ) the two devices behave virtually identically for me. As with all things opinion of course ymmv.

Strangely, the retina display has done absolutely nothing to my perception of displays - I understand logically that it's really pixel dense but it doesn't 'feel' much better to me than the display I'm working on at my job right now. Never occurred to me that it probably should have. *shrug*

MildObstruction.png

#2896 illennium

illennium

Systems Analyst

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Would any of these card games appeal to someone who has never played a collectible card game?

#2897 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Next big step for Apple will probably be a Retina mini, and even then, it'll pretty much be the same specs as the ipad 4, just in a smaller version...which some may like more, while others don't because they prefer a larger display. So even then, the retina mini won't be 100% confirmed to be "better" than the ipad 4.

I will be getting an iPad mini with Retina once it comes out (if it ever does - I think I read somewhere that it is actually going to be quite difficult to implement due to resolution or something). I have an iPad (first gen) and I'm looking to upgrade but I don't want to spend $500. $300 is pricey but still more in the "sweet spot" for something like this. Besides, my iPad works just fine for everything although I would like to play "The Room". I wish I could pull the trigger on a Nexus but I have so much "invested" in those damn apps.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#2898 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hunters 2 looked like a cool XCOM-style game for iPad. I picked it up but haven't played it.
Its predecessor Hunters: Episode 1 is currently free! iPad only.
AppShopper: http://appshopper.co...-episode-one-hd
iTunes: http://appshopper.co...-episode-one-hd

EDIT:
There's an iPhone version, too, that's also free: http://www.appshoppe...ers-episode-one

Actually, Hunters 2 is back down to $0.99, universal app: http://appshopper.com/games/hunters-2

Edited by ViolentLee, 18 January 2013 - 07:32 PM.

mqqgUvv.jpg   ECqYO0a.jpg
My action/scifi novel, Still Man Fights, is available in paperback and e-book form at Amazon.com.

My new travelogue, Japan Chronicles: of Rock Gods and J-Pop Idols, is also on Amazon.com.

#2899 dfo

dfo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

To join the chorus: at $.99, Ascension and expansions are a must-buy, Summoner Wars w/ all expansions for $.99 is a must-buy. I would categorize Nightfall and expansion as a must-buy as well, but haven't done multiplayer so if that's your only interest the asynchronous play issue ID'd above might give you some pause. If you like playing against AI though I would absolutely buy it at this price.

Haven't tried Penny Arcade yet (was waiting for a sale) but really looking forward to it given how excellent Playdek's other games are. 75%+ of my iPhone gaming time has been spent on Playdek games.

As to those asking if you have to like CCGs to play these, I don't think you do. These games don't involve any pre-game deck building (you do modify your deck as part of the game play). If you like strategy or tactics card and board games I think you will enjoy these. The rules can seem intimidating but give them a read and a few play-throughs and you'll be up and running in 15 mins.

Edited by dfo, 22 January 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#2900 CrossFireXT17

CrossFireXT17

Aka: RevolutionJ12

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

For all these games that have IAP, after I purchase them, do they just show up or is there something else I need to do?

I got Ascension a while ago, but wasn't sure what I had to do for the IAP.

Trade List: Looking to trade a Flatout steam key :pc: and a Defense Grid: The Awakening steam key for... anything on steam! See what I already have at: http://steamcommunit.../games/?tab=all -- Just send me a PM!

Posted Image

#2901 outphase

outphase

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks. Grabbed FLUXX just because I have heard so much about the actual physical card version being good.

Anyone have an opinion on Penny Arcade or Nightfall? I'm into monsters so thinking bout burning some credit on Nightfall...

Penny Arcade is fun if you like Ascension or Dominion. In fact, it's kinda like Ascension and Dominion had a gamer lovechild.

Nightfall is good, but online play is a bit time consuming given the amount of chaining involved.

All Playdek apps are well made if that's a factor.

#2902 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Gave Demons' Score a shot at $.99 and would not recommend it, even at that price. In under 30 mins I had beaten the included content and it was trying to get me to do IAP. Also, flying talking teddy bear, monsters spewing nonsense to out of sync lips, cliched plot... I'm fine with all that. But scantily clad girl speaking with strong male demon's voice creeps me the Fuck out. They really need an option to keep your female voice.

-Edit-
Played some more, and there is more content than I thought. Read a few posts down.

Edited by lilman, 19 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#2903 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Would any of these card games appeal to someone who has never played a collectible card game?

The Playdek games are not "collectible card games". Magic and Pokemon are collectible card games. Ascension, Nightfall, etc, are called "Deck Building" games. The difference is that in Magic you can buy additional cards that other people don't have access to, and you build your deck ahead of time and then play with it. In Ascension everyone starts with the exact same personal deck, and there is a main deck that everyone buys cards from as the game progresses to add to their own deck. You buy cards with "runes", which come from cards in your deck. I would recommend you try Ascension first. Certainly don't start with Nightfall. Nightfall is confusing. Ascension is pretty easy to pick up on and is a great game. I haven't tried Penny Arcade yet so can't comment. Fluxx is an entirely different sort of game. I don't really like Fluxx to much, but some do.

Crunchewy.png

#2904 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Puzzle Quest 2 is down to $1.99 for the weekend, appears to be as cheap as its ever been according to Appzapp.

Does anyone have an opinion on this game? I read about a glitch that results in a hint arrow always being shown, sounds like that could ruin the game.

Dungelot is going to drop to .99 before he submits the upcoming update, FYI. I think that's happening next week.

Edited by Solid-Snake-Eyes, 18 January 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#2905 mrsamsa

mrsamsa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

totally off topic, but might be on interest to some of you:
Ikaruga released outside Japan for Android today: https://play.google....runtime.gg_1638 9$, but it's ikaruga. Runs great on my Nexus 7

related to iOS: Ascension is fantastic. If you like card/board games on ios get it and the 2 expansions.

#2906 langdon_alger

langdon_alger

Phlebitis!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Puzzle Quest 2 is down to $1.99 for the weekend, appears to be as cheap as its ever been according to Appzapp.

Does anyone have an opinion on this game? I read about a glitch that results in a hint arrow always being shown, sounds like that could ruin the game.

I'm only a few hours in, but I freakin' love it. No real issues so far on my iPad2. Sunk a lot of time into PQ1 and plan on doing the same with this one.

#2907 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Beat it on my iPad 1 as an assassin. The original PQ is better since you don't waste so much time with world navigation, but PQ2 is still a must get for match three fans. I had to disable the hint arrow every time I launched the app. A pita, but not a deal breaker.

#2908 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Having to disable it every time is better than not being able to disable at all, which is what I had imagined. I'm going to give the free version a shot and then probably buy it, I like what I've seen on youtube. Thanks guys.

#2909 NaiveCynic

NaiveCynic

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

Gave Demons' Score a shot at $.99 and would not recommend it, even at that price. In under 30 mins I had beaten the included content and it was trying to get me to do IAP. Also, flying talking teddy bear, monsters spewing nonsense to out of sync lips, cliched plot... I'm fine with all that. But scantily clad girl speaking with strong male demon's voice creeps me the Fuck out. They really need an option to keep your female voice.

I'm gonna have to call foul on finishing all the content in under 30 minutes. Maybe you finished easy mode in 30 minutes, but normal and hard mode have additional stages and hard mode is a lot more difficult. It's a pretty decent value at $0.99, though the IAP isn't really worth it.

Totally agree about the voice thing though.

#2910 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Has anyone played Slender Rising, and is it any good?

Can't tell exactly what type of game it is..point & click or what?

All I know is it looks creepy, and I'm all for that!
Posted Image