Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V4! Insert witty comment here.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11094 replies to this topic

#301 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I see you already own this as well as 3 other friends. Going through adding the free DLC to make my collection partial.

I will justify this purchase by convincing myself I will make the Trainz vs. Bad Rats Expansion and sell it for millions.

I'm totally picturing cartoon cats tied to railroad tracks in various fashions.

It needs dancing though, Revelations 2012 revealed that is a vital feature.

mdUFwSE.png

#302 DeusAtrox

DeusAtrox

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

It's a Bioware game. That's all you need to know. ;)

This holds true for the Bioware MMO also, only in that case "all you need to know" translates into "giant steaming pile 'o failure"! LOL

/bitterextorplayerrantover

><

#303 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I'll go on record as saying not everyone agrees with what you've just said. I'm one of them. It isn't an amazing game, no, but it's not as bad as that. It's interesting that people are willing to scoop up cheap indie games and look past poor production values, but a $5 DNF game gets scathing hate. I understand the bitterness from long-time fans and it isn't "what it could have been", but there are some genuinely good moments and it's a good eight to ten hours of reasonably acceptable shooting and goofy Duke stuff.

For those on the fence, be sure to listen to both sides of the argument and take into account the price.

DNF's dark secret revealed: IT'S ACTUALLY AN INDIE GAME

THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. THE HYPE. THE DEVELOPMENT TIME!

That said, I am helped in these situations by being consistent. I hate all bad games. Especially indie games.

#304 RobinYoHood

RobinYoHood

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Bought Limbo, been waiting a long time to play that.

#305 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

The game just did not appeal to the majority of the Steam crowd (and by extension I think you can safely say most US PC gamers) at all.

I keep trying to come up with reasons for it. You'd think a game where you play as a pirate would have appeal and it's not overdone either.

I think they did a piss poor job of marketing. Combat was somewhat broken at launch, they addressed this but the fixed version was not the one that got reviews.

No one is that familiar with this IP.

The difficulty curve is not balanced. It's too hard in the beginning and too easy in the end.

There's some subject matter in the game that could potentially be perceived as sexist or racist.

Not sure. I think it's a combination. More promotion would have helped but at this point they also need a better sale. Those low numbers I think in part represent lack of familiarity with the IP but also in large part the extremely meager discount.

I think they need to call a spade a spade and realize the game bombed at full price and try and get a good amount of sales by slashing the price.

it didn't get a lot of votes because it was only 33% off(i think?)
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#306 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Some people in this thread are acting like the Easter bunny just left them turds in their basket. I'm not really sure what everyone is expecting from this sale but there's 12 days of multiple deals. If you are like the average Steam CAG then you have a ton of crap so yeah 90% is not going to be for you. That doesn't mean it isn't for anyone. For someone somewhere and probably a lot of someones these are deals.

Oh and @ Pantsattack. I am really disturbed. That cannot be unseen! :shock:

Not going to quote it because seeing it once is enough.

That's a pretty big generalization. Other than a couple ID bundles, a couple Valve bundles, and some of the more recent Indie bundle games I came into this Summer sale with nothing. I've already reached past my spending limit and today looks to be the first day that I'm buying nothing at all. The only thing that even caught my eye was the GTA bundle, but I'm not a big GTA fan and $12 is still too much for me.
http://backloggery.c...p?user=rcerboss
Interested in trading Steam Games. I have extra keys for Ship, Machinarium, Sword and Sworcery, Cave Story +, and more Desura games tha I can list ;)

PM me to add me to PSN, Steam, WiiU, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!

#307 Poorleno

Poorleno

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Just downloaded Limbo and I'm encountering a problem. Whenever I hit the Esc key and bring up the menus, it scrolls through the options without stopping. Not sure what is causing this, any tips?
Posted Image

#308 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Duke Nukem Forever - "Hey, at least it's better than Limbo and Dear Esther!"

On that note, Ticket to Ride is a fun but simple board game. Couple that with Aaah as a value add and the indie bundle is a decent deal.

#309 omnicious

omnicious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

I love the old GTAs. I got the pack last sale and I enjoy them, especially seeing as Vice City can run well on old machines.

Arkham City DLC has been discussed quite a bit and I see no love for the Robin and Nightwing DLC. I personally love the combat and played a ton of the Challenge Maps.

If you plan to play the challenge maps and like the combat, get the Robin and Nightwing. If not just nab the Harley and Skins pack

What about the drm on the gta bundle?

#310 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

This holds true for the Bioware MMO also, only in that case "all you need to know" translates into "giant steaming pile 'o failure"! LOL

/bitterextorplayerrantover

><

Bioware post EA is a different animal from Bioware pre-EA though. KOTOR is way pre-EA, thankfully.

Railworks is an awesome game loaded with content even if you don't buy any extra DLC.

What are you talking about with "bad games"?

Okay to be totally serious for a second (I know, right?) I think railworks is loosely a game the way that Dear Esther or something like that is. There's just not a lot of game to it. It's mostly watching.

From what I understand they made it as sort of a virtual model train deal for people who want that hobby but don't necessarily have the space or time for it. Apparently, the amount those model train people spend is chump change compared to the amount they spend on the real hobby so it seems like a deal to them.

it didn't get a lot of votes because it was only 33% off(i think?)

Of course that was the primary reason. It's dumb of them to pit 30% against 60% etc. I was more talking on why the game in general did not do well on Steam and I think that also contributed some to the ultra low number of votes it got.

mdUFwSE.png

#311 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Railworks is an awesome game loaded with content even if you don't buy any extra DLC.

What are you talking about with "bad games"?

I think a lot of people here don't consider simulators (other than flight ones) real games. Not me, since I love them, but that's one thing. Two is the ridiculous amount of DLC makes Railworks a good running joke.

That said, it does look awesome and the trains look cool. I assume people who used to or still collect model trains love this game.

I'm totally picturing cartoon cats tied to railroad tracks in various fashions.

It needs dancing though, Revelations 2012 revealed that is a vital feature.

That's a good plan, definitely dancing too. My scenario is the train is passing in x amount of time and you need to tie x amount of cats to the railroad tracks before then or else the world will end and the mayans will come and murder your train.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#312 shortyman920

shortyman920

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yeah today's sale is a little disappointing. I totally understand when some of you say that Valve blew their steam early. It's been repeats for past 2 days now and a lot of big names earlier on. But hopefully things end with a bang for the end :)

#313 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

What about the drm on the gta bundle?

I honestly never really pay attention to the DRM of stuff so I would not be the person to ask.

I have not encountered any difficulties or problems if that helps?

#314 Taboner

Taboner

Let's Go Rangers!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Just bough the old GTA pack. They're still really fun games that will run really well on any modern machine.

#315 ctclements

ctclements

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Duke Nukem Forever - "Hey, at least it's better than Limbo and Dear Esther!"

On that note, Ticket to Ride is a fun but simple board game. Couple that with Aaah as a value add and the indie bundle is a decent deal.

Aaah and Ticket to Ride are the 2 games I don't have in this bundle, you're really tempting me now. I wish they would have done a 50-75% off TTR sale, I would have bought the game and all the DLC.

#316 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Is it just me, or could anyone else think that lil "heartwarming" story in the Railworks video had the potential to take a seriously aweful turn when he was talking about the memories of his father taking him off alone to look at the trains? God, society has seriously warped my mind......
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#317 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

I still can not believe 1k for all the dlc for Railworks is with it being 50% off. Plus like Motoki said people actually buy it as the cheaper alternative. to real model trains I am so glad I am not a train junkie...Though if they ever came out with a Bunny simulator...
Posted Image

#318 dracula

dracula

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

so I bought Train Simulator 2012 and the Trains vs zombie dlc instead of GTA Collection...... am I doing it right? and stop recommending bad games, I am starting to buy them since they are cheap.

the gta franchise is an excellent series so I would have suggested picking that up instead. I recently played through gta 4 on the xbox 360 and was horrified when i saw how much the dlc cost. It's a lot cheaper on the PC. in fact I am tempted to get the PC versions except that I cant imagine playing gta without a controller. it would just feel wrong at this point.

edit it says it is optimized for the xbox 360 controller, hmm

Posted Image

#319 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

I'll echo the others saying the Skin Pack is very nice. There's quite a variety and, let's face it, you're going to be looking at Batman for quite a while and a change of pace can be pleasant. It's purely cosmetic though and doesn't affect the game in any way.

According to the site, you can't use the skins until after you finish the main story. Then what's the point? With the backlog I've got, getting through a game ONCE is an achievement, so replaying just to enjoy the fashion show doesn't seem likely.

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#320 LazyTriangle

LazyTriangle

flashbang dance

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

I really wish the Quantum Conundrum DLC was sold separately. I got the base game and really enjoyed it, and now I can't upgrade my version.

the DLC isn't on sale because it hasn't come out yet, I'm sure you will be able to upgrade QC once the dlc has been released.

O6d6OER.jpg

#321 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

the gta franchise is an excellent series so I would have suggested picking that up instead. I recently played through gta 4 on the xbox 360 and was horrified when i saw how much the dlc cost. It's a lot cheaper on the PC. in fact I am tempted to get the PC versions except that I cant imagine playing gta without a controller. it would just feel wrong at this point.

It has controller support for the PC.

#322 phantom4

phantom4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Just picked up gta iv complete edition to complete what i was missing. On a side note, i was looking at the id bundle and realized quakes are in that and i own the original quakes from years back. If i were to install the quakes from disc would i be able to associate them with steam?

#323 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Annoying checkpoint saves and wonky vehicle controls (helicopter, I'm looking at you) killed GTA IV for me.

#324 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

yoooo... this thing just popped up on my signature... weird...

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#325 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

According to the site, you can't use the skins until after you finish the main story. Then what's the point? With the backlog I've got, getting through a game ONCE is an achievement, so replaying just to enjoy the fashion show doesn't seem likely.

Nope. I guarantee that's not true because I played through Arkham City using several different skins. The Neal Adams (aka "70s Batman") is my favorite.

#326 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Input the following once you load your save file and are still in the main menu:

Left, Left, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down

You will here an audio cue and then when you continue the main story or play the challenge maps you can choose your costume.

*You can obviously only pick your costume in single player once you get your suit back.* What I did was go back to the main menu once I did, input the code and then chose.

I beat it on the 360 so I felt like I had already earned it : P

#327 Symphonix

Symphonix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Thinking about getting Arkham City, but I already have Asylum, is Imposters worth $4 extra dollars? Do the games still fill up?

#328 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

the DLC isn't on sale because it hasn't come out yet, I'm sure you will be able to upgrade QC once the dlc has been released.

But I want to do it noooowwwww.....

Actually I know that, I just wish I could use my GMG credit and 20% off coupon right away with something that interests me.

#329 dracula

dracula

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yeah today's sale is a little disappointing. I totally understand when some of you say that Valve blew their steam early. It's been repeats for past 2 days now and a lot of big names earlier on. But hopefully things end with a bang for the end :)

yeah, this was sort of inevitable, they had some sweet deals on the first few days.

Posted Image

#330 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Limbo is an okay game I guess (just about to finish it after getting it in a bundle a while ago) but after about a 1/3 of the way through I felt like I'd seen everything the game had to offer, and am now just going through the motions to have it done with.