Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V4! Insert witty comment here.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11094 replies to this topic

#9811 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

Woo! Commander Keen! Can't wait to play those games (in like, 15 years when I remember that they're in my backlog!)

I remember playing them as a wee boy. Have no clue which one, or how far I got, but I remember them being fun and charming, if not more than a bit difficult at times. Is it just me, or do they not make them like they used to anymore?

#9812 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Doom Complete Pack $8.74 75% off includes below
Doom 3 $4.99 75% off
Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil $2.49 75% off
Doom 2 $2.49 75% off
Final Doom $2.49 75% off
Master Levels for Doom 2
Ultimate Doom $2.49 75% off

Damn, that's more than a bit tempting. I still have a copy of the Doom II Totally Unauthorized Guide sitting on my bookshelf with the rest of my strategy guides.

Still, not sure I'd actually play them again - I played through Doom 3 on the 360 (or was it the original XBox?) It was alright, but nothing worth doing again. And I'm not sure I'm up for the original two games at this point in time - as someone mentioned above, they do tend to induce motion sickness these days.

#9813 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Interested in DOOM 3?

Keep in mind that the BFG Edition is coming out October 16. It features an "HD revamp" and The Lost Mission and comes with DOOM and DOOM 2.

Who knows if an upgrade path will be available or if you'll be forced to re-buy?

76561197971332172.png

#9814 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

How is return to castle wolfenstien? Was thinking about the Doom pack but with the new edition coming out.
Posted Image

#9815 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

How is return to castle wolfenstien? Was thinking about the Doom pack but with the new edition coming out.

Unlike its sequel, Wolfenstein, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is excellent

76561197971332172.png

#9816 lydon

lydon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Commander Keen looks great, going to pick that up!

JoeGazi.png

#9817 kennyb324

kennyb324

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

ive looked around but it seems like you will have to re-buy doom 3 to get the bfg edition

which to a point makes it pointless to buy it now (unless you really want it)

i would love to get it, but it seems to be better to just wait until the bfg edition comes out

#9818 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

as someone mentioned above, they do tend to induce motion sickness these days.

A lot of people found that games that did not cause motion sickness on CRT monitors started to nauseate when played on LCDs. Anyone who experiences this may be out of luck unless they have some antiquated hardware sitting around.

#9819 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

The new Wolfenstein was pretty damn good
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#9820 nekromantix

nekromantix

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

Contemplating the Hexen pack.

It was the first game my brother and I got for our PSX, and we had no memory card to save games to. Not sure if we ever beat it once we finally got a memory card... damn thing took all 15 blocks of memory for one save.

#9821 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Contemplating the Hexen pack.

It was the first game my brother and I got for our PSX, and we had no memory card to save games to. Not sure if we ever beat it once we finally got a memory card... damn thing took all 15 blocks of memory for one save.

What's the Hexen + Heretic games like? Look like a supernatural Doom? Looks fun. For $2.49 I'll probably bite.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#9822 crzyboy88

crzyboy88

This is a witty title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

The Doom games make me motion sick as well. Does any one know why this happens?

#9823 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

The Doom games make me motion sick as well. Does any one know why this happens?

A lot of people found that games that did not cause motion sickness on CRT monitors started to nauseate when played on LCDs. Anyone who experiences this may be out of luck unless they have some antiquated hardware sitting around.

As I said last page, differences in modern monitors may be to blame for people who didn't experience motion sickness back in the day but do now.

#9824 nekromantix

nekromantix

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

What's the Hexen + Heretic games like? Look like a supernatural Doom? Looks fun. For $2.49 I'll probably bite.

Sort of. From what I remember, it wasn't really level based, but different areas that you traversed back and forth whilst finding keys to progress farther. Guess that's like a really big level of Doom? Also remember getting stuck and not remember where to go often, but maybe that was because I was a child.

It was class based game. There was a long distance mage and melee range fighter, and I forget what the third class was.

Couldn't really tell you about Heretic or Hexen II though.

#9825 Zipomatic2

Zipomatic2

Really, Really Cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

From what I remember playing Hexen all of those years ago, that pretty much describes it...
Posted Image

If it's not 75% off, or less that $10, I ain't buying it!

#9826 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

The new Wolfenstein was pretty damn good

Yeah, it isn't a horrible game. It's an above average shooter, I'd say. It just isn't as good (I called it excellent) as RTCW.

76561197971332172.png

#9827 iSerra

iSerra

With the new day comes new thoughts

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I am really tempted to get the Doom Complete Pack, but I guess I may pass on this deal and wait for Doom 3 BFG instead.

#9828 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Kay I'll pick it up then. I recall Return to Castle Wolfenstien being a beloved game. Plus there is a unoffical patch that adds widescreen and other improvements according to the fourms so :applause:
Posted Image

#9829 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Agreed. It was fine at first, but then they started adding extra mechanics that had me clicking all over the place while all in real time. The game would be infinitely better if you could swap any adjacent blocks.

For being a cute little game it's pretty difficult. The sad thing is is that I'm playing on easy mode. I use the pause button a lot. Doing that helps slow everything down. I went in expecting a relaxing fun little match game with a cute story, not the case. I was raging last night playing Legend of Fae.

Sidenote: The worst is when the screen pulls me up to the action screen to inform me it's raining then I have to click the match screen again. Don't waste my time to tell me it's raining- I have eyes!
Posted Image

#9830 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Yeah, it isn't a horrible game. It's an above average shooter, I'd say. It just isn't as good (I called it excellent) as RTCW.

I thought the new Wolfenstein was alright, not above average and not terrible, but an ok game.

#9831 lachrymoses

lachrymoses

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hexen was the second pc game I ever played on our home computer as a child of eleven or twelve. I played it a bunch and really liked it at the time. It is like Doom except you can pick from three classes and there is a hub with some smaller maps connected to it that you have to travel between to complete the level. It was easy for me to get lost back when I played it but then I just enabled cheats and screwed around. If you really want to play an old school game I would recommend it but both the gameplay and graphics are very dated at this point.

#9832 Chalk

Chalk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

The Last Remnent is back to $3.75 at GamersGate. it's Steamworks. If you had any blue coins, you could probably pick it up for free.

http://www.gamersgat...last-remnant-tm

Oh lordie... I'm so tempted by this since I kind of want to try this game... I do have a bad backlog, but that's not a terrible price. What do? :cry:

75% off Commander Keen woohoo! AFAIK this is the cheapest it has been, at least in recent years.

*Edit: Double Ninja'ed

Woo! Commander Keen! Can't wait to play those games (in like, 15 years when I remember that they're in my backlog!)

I remember playing them as a wee boy. Have no clue which one, or how far I got, but I remember them being fun and charming, if not more than a bit difficult at times. Is it just me, or do they not make them like they used to anymore?

Looks alright. Does anyone have anything else to add on the game to help me decide whether to get it or not? :P

75% off Quake 4 / DOOM 3 today
DOOM3 Pack and DOOM Complete Packs are 75% off as well[/COLOR]

Interested in DOOM 3?

Keep in mind that the BFG Edition is coming out October 16. It features an "HD revamp" and The Lost Mission and comes with DOOM and DOOM 2.

Who knows if an upgrade path will be available or if you'll be forced to re-buy?

Wow thanks for that save. I was on the brink of just buying it, but I have no problem waiting till Christmas for it. It should be in the winter sale.

#9833 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

I thought the new Wolfenstein was alright, not above average and not terrible, but an ok game.

To be more specific. hal's Wolfenstein review:

Poor-------Average-------Excellent
Wolfenstein--------^

8-)

76561197971332172.png

#9834 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

At $1.24, I'm wondering if I should grab the Commander Keen pack. I recall having one of the shareware episodes back in the day, but, sadly, I don't remember much else.

A penny saved is a penny ready for a different game deal. Is Commander Keen worth 124 pennies?

EDIT:

Oh lordie... I'm so tempted by this since I kind of want to try this game... I do have a bad backlog, but that's not a terrible price. What do? :cry:

Dude, I'm totally having the same problem. Many people simply didn't enjoy the game, while others support it heavily; Feedback is very mixed. Plus, I really do like the idea of having a meaty JRPG on my PC.

If nothing else, I'm just glad I have 11 hours to decide.

#9835 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Heretic is ok. IIRC, it had multi-floors, which Doom didn't have. I remember liking the crossbow.

Hexen was fun in co-op, but the deathmatch was pretty crappy.

#9836 Ryan_gf

Ryan_gf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Does RTCW have an active online community still?

#9837 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

I got an additional dilemma for myself - Darksiders is currently $4.98 at GMG. (Steamworks, of course.) Using "PCGMR-ALLIN-GREEN" as the coupon code, it's $3.74.

Now, I don't have a GMG account. Would I be able to stack that coupon code with the $2 credit one gets by signing up with a CAG's referral? (A few CAG's have that $2 thing in their signatures.)

If it's a "Yes," I'll sign up for GMG using the $2 link that the next CAG provides, thus giving that person an extra $2 too.

#9838 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Why not just try it and see if it stacks? You can always back out if it won't allow you to apply the credit. In my experience with GMG, trade-ins, credits, and coupons all stack (though you can't always stack two coupons)

76561197971332172.png

#9839 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

In terms of sequels within franchises with previously excellent games, Wolfenstein is a masterpiece when compared to Duke Nukem Forever (Which I just beat.........).

#9840 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'm considering getting Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, but I can't decide if I should get it for PS3 (as I did War for Cybertron) or PC.

Anyone have WfC for PC and how it compared to the console versions or what to expect with FoC for PC?

Edited by icedrake523, 05 August 2012 - 08:23 PM.