Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V4! Insert witty comment here.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11094 replies to this topic

#9841 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

Why not just try it and see if it stacks? You can always back out if it won't allow you to apply the credit. In my experience with GMG, trade-ins, credits, and coupons all stack (though you can't always stack two coupons)

I suppose you have a point, though I wanted to be sure before signing up for "yet another Digital Download service."

GMG has a good reputation, though, so I'm not too concerned.

#9842 Chalk

Chalk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Dude, I'm totally having the same problem. Many people simply didn't enjoy the game, while others support it heavily; Feedback is very mixed. Plus, I really do like the idea of having a meaty JRPG on my PC.

If nothing else, I'm just glad I have 11 hours to decide.

:wall:I broke.

#9843 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Old Doom and Heretic and Hexen aren't really worth it these days. Doom is still the best though.

Heretic = fantasy doom.

Hexen = heretic with classes, only 4 weapons per class, kinda open levels.

#9844 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Really glad Steam did another QuakeCon sale this year. Wasn't able to pick the pack up last year. :bouncy:

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#9845 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

In terms of sequels within franchises with previously excellent games, Wolfenstein is a masterpiece when compared to Duke Nukem Forever (Which I just beat.........).

It's better than Duke, yes. I'm not sure that's a bar most games would struggle to top. :)

I suppose you have a point, though I wanted to be sure before signing up for "yet another Digital Download service."

GMG has a good reputation, though, so I'm not too concerned.

I've bought lots of games through GMG and have yet to download their client. I stick to Steam games and grab the occasional freebie that they give out.

76561197971332172.png

#9846 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

I got an additional dilemma for myself - Darksiders is currently $4.98 at GMG. (Steamworks, of course.) Using "PCGMR-ALLIN-GREEN" as the coupon code, it's $3.74.

Now, I don't have a GMG account. Would I be able to stack that coupon code with the $2 credit one gets by signing up with a CAG's referral? (A few CAG's have that $2 thing in their signatures.)

If it's a "Yes," I'll sign up for GMG using the $2 link that the next CAG provides, thus giving that person an extra $2 too.

Make sure you follow the steps and you'll get your credit after the purchase. Of course, this means that you won't be able to apply that credit for this purchase.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#9847 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

:wall:I broke.

Quite all right. You still got the game for the lowest price the PC version has ever been offered for. As for me, I'm still deciding; I had it in my cart, but then I decided to think about it a little more.

Man, it takes me so long to make a decision.

#9848 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

I've bought lots of games through GMG and have yet to download their client. I stick to Steam games and grab the occasional freebie that they give out.

I do the same thing. If the free game doesn't activate on Steam then I trade it in for credit and wait for a sale on something that does. They have a lot of good prices on games that look interesting but I wish more of them did activate on Steam.

#9849 EarthBoundX5

EarthBoundX5

Chef Jesus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Speaking of that, does anyone ever happen to fap thinking about sex with an ex? I had one with a great body...I mean, tight in all the right ways. Great, soft ass, extra smooth legs...cute asian knee-high stockings, too. Yes, she was a super cute asian. Last one I slept with since I only sleep with people I'm dating. Been six months and I still think about it.

Spoiler

APPROVAL!

Must have been an... 8-) ...impulse buy.

:lol:

I've seen Dexter do it too - references are there to events from the book, and then there's a hard left turn away from what you thought was going on.

lol, Dexter TV/Book comparison...just can't be done when the books have his "Dark Passenger" being, well, literal.

EDIT:
Spoiler

Mmk, I got kicked from the Coconut Queens group =(

It's probably because you look like shit ;)

75% off Commander Keen woohoo! AFAIK this is the cheapest it has been, at least in recent years.

*Edit: Double Ninja'ed

Too bad Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter aren't in the pack :cry:

Looks alright. Does anyone have anything else to add on the game to help me decide whether to get it or not? :P

It used to be like, THE game to play...also in general its just a fun and very odd platformer. Way worth $1.24 for most of em.

I don't like having a sig, but for CAG, I figured I'd sheep along.

163177.pngfs_pc.png
http://gamercard.xbo...een/ChefJesusX5 eebeta-badge-small.png
GAP - Since 2003
CAG - Lurked well before current join date

#9850 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

It's probably because you look like shit ;)

That's Mr. Stinky Poo to you!

Bought Commander Keen and the Hexen pack. I never played Commander Keen much when it first came out, but I do always remember level 32 of Doom 2.

Spoiler

elessar123.png

#9851 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

The newer Wolfenstein felt like a lot of great ideas badly implemented to me. I remember digging the attempt at open world FPS, but not enjoying the game.

#9852 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Probably gonna pass, would like to grab the wolfenstien pack, or the Hexen games. But my backlog is just sitting there yelling no at me and making me sad.

#9853 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

To be more specific. hal's Wolfenstein review:

Poor-------Average-------Excellent
Wolfenstein--------^

8-)

I'd agree with that played like 2 hours of Wolfenstien and sent it back to gamefly when it first came out. However only like on the 2nd mission of Return to Castle Wolfenstien and already love it. I wish I knew how amazing it was earlier.

It's like a classic shooter all I have to do is run around find secrets and shoot things. Don't have to worry about cover or sneaking or anything else.
Posted Image

#9854 Mr. Sax Appeal

Mr. Sax Appeal

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

I don't own any of the id games on sale today. I would buy the Doom collection if it wasn't for the BFG edition coming out later this year. I'll probably buy the Hexen collection and Commander Keen. Maybe the Wolf Pack also.

#9855 iSerra

iSerra

With the new day comes new thoughts

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

Should I get the Quake Collection + Quake 4 or just Quake 4 alone? Any opinions guys?

#9856 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Quick question - giveaways for games that were in previous indie bundles are now allowed on steamgifts, correct? (I believe those games can be identified by a '*' next to them on the dropdown list, right?)

Thanks

#9857 steamgifts

steamgifts

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

Quick question - giveaways for games that were in previous indie bundles are now allowed on steamgifts, correct? (I believe those games can be identified by a '*' next to them on the dropdown list, right?)

Thanks

Yep, you're more than welcome to give them away, and you're right, the asterisk means they were once in a bundle.

#9858 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

So what was the final word on being able to activate the Darksiders given away by Gamestop on Steam. There are tons on SteamGifts, but can they actually be activated on Steam?

Thanks for alerting me to that. I was lucky enough to win a copy through the GameStop giveaway too and I didn't realize I could do that. :-#

The Last Remnent is back to $3.75 at GamersGate. it's Steamworks. If you had any blue coins, you could probably pick it up for free.

http://www.gamersgat...last-remnant-tm

Thanks for the heads up! Amazon had that game on "sale" for $14.99 IIRC not too long ago, and even at that price tons of people were saying it was worth it. For $3.75? Easy purchase. :D

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#9859 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for alerting me to that. I was lucky enough to win a copy through the GameStop giveaway too and I didn't realize I could do that. :-#

Thanks for the heads up! Amazon had that game on "sale" for $14.99 IIRC not too long ago, and even at that price tons of people were saying it was worth it. For $3.75? Easy purchase. :D

tsk tsk, still having trouble keeping up with deals eh? :p
it was $3 on greenmangaming when it was on sale for $3.75 and you could use a coupon ;)
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#9860 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Should I get the Quake Collection + Quake 4 or just Quake 4 alone? Any opinions guys?

All of the Quake games are worth having. I can't think of a reason not to own them.
Quake + expansions = awesome
Quake 2 + expansions = great
Quake 3 = tons of mods and levels, bots work and it has a nice ladder. I'm guessing a lot of the MP action moved to Quake Live. But still awesome.
Quake 4 = not too bad. Not much MP action afaik, but the singleplayer experience is classic id (not deep but good action)

76561197971332172.png

#9861 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

So the only difference being that you don't receive full credit for the price on steam?

Thanks!

Yep, you're more than welcome to give them away, and you're right, the asterisk means they were once in a bundle.

#9862 Arben

Arben

notArtist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

How is return to castle wolfenstien? Was thinking about the Doom pack but with the new edition coming out.

I thought it was pretty fun back in 2001 or so. I recall having a roommate that tried to play it with a gamepad and moaned so much about what a difficult game it was that I ran back through it on hard out of spite.

lol, Dexter TV/Book comparison...just can't be done when the books have his "Dark Passenger" being, well, literal.

Well, specifically in S1, when the plot followed the first book for the most part, they did things like go to that shipping container that was a major event in the book and just full of bananas in the show. Little fake-outs for the readers to enjoy.

#9863 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Well ended up buying myself Quake 4 and Commander Keen. After going to a very small comic con and not spending much, I decided to pick those two up. I just hope Commander Keen is not going to be a bitch to get working.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#9864 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

So the only difference being that you don't receive full credit for the price on steam?

Thanks!

Yeah, I think it's like 20% of the value of the game.

Now that they've done that, they should probably restore the value of the Ironclads Collection. The steam price of the collection is $50. But since it was in one of the recent Indie Gala bundles and you could get the key for $1, people were spamming giveaways for that collection to up their contributor value. So in a reaction to that, they gimped the contributor value of the collection to reflect the $1 cost that people were actually paying for the key. But now that they've gimped the contributor values of all bundle games to 20%, they should probably restore the Ironclads Collection to it's $50 base price (which would work out to $10 contributor value).

57j.gif

#9865 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

re: Legend of Fae

For being a cute little game it's pretty difficult. The sad thing is is that I'm playing on easy mode. I use the pause button a lot. Doing that helps slow everything down. I went in expecting a relaxing fun little match game with a cute story, not the case. I was raging last night playing Legend of Fae.

Sidenote: The worst is when the screen pulls me up to the action screen to inform me it's raining then I have to click the match screen again. Don't waste my time to tell me it's raining- I have eyes!

The horizontal only movement part doesn't bother me. At first I was expecting vertical movement but once I got used to the mechanics I was fine with it.

I do agree though that it get significantly harder as you progress. I will confess that sometimes I just go nuts and spam moving blocks around randomly at a frenzied pace. And you know what? It works!

It's a lame cheesey thing to do but gotta do what ya gotta do what do sometimes.

steam_sig.png

#9866 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

Quakecon weekend has certainly brought back some memories of my early game playing days but I finally settled on Commander Keen and ROCW as two highly recommended games that I have never played.

#9867 Killbomb

Killbomb

Waiting for Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'm considering getting Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, but I can't decide if I should get it for PS3 (as I did War for Cybertron) or PC.

I went with the 360 version for FoC mainly because I imagine the console's online communities will be more active. Another reason was I got for console was Newegg's $10 off any pre-order deal which ends today. The PC version is MSRP everywhere I've seen.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9868 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

re: Legend of fae

I will confess that sometimes I just go nuts and spam moving blocks around randomly at a frenzied pace. And you know what? It works!

It's a lame cheesey thing to do but gotta do what ya gotta do what do sometimes.

That's exactly what resort to once I lose my chain. Random block movements seems to work great. Also, I think if you just sit there for a bit,
blocks disappear and generally create a nice chain reaction.

#9869 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Well ended up buying myself Quake 4 and Commander Keen. After going to a very small comic con and not spending much, I decided to pick those two up. I just hope Commander Keen is not going to be a bitch to get working.

I just downloaded CK and fired up a session. While it was strange to see a game start up in DOS mode everything seemed to work fine. I'm using a laptop with HD3000 integrated graphics and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I did get a "not optimal resolution" message after exit but nothing actually changed from my settings before starting the game.

Edited by Palinn, 06 August 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#9870 Crizume

Crizume

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Hard to keep up with thread especially since just moved and had no internet for 3 days.

BTW is anyone else steam acting weird? I can access everything from client and browser except the community page. Can't see my groups or anything else their.

Wondering if its a glitch or new internet. (BTW FIOS is beast) If anyone had a similar problem help appreciated