Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V4! Insert witty comment here.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11094 replies to this topic

#10081 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

I got an e-mail in response to my question to Indie Gala.

I asked them why we were only allowed to use a certain number of points. I also said that I was disappointed because I have so many points and likely will not spend them because I was hoping to get free games, not discounts that matched Steam sale prices. This is the reply:

Hello Josh,

First of all, the games belong to the developers, not ours, we don't set the price as we want, and second, at the moment we're the cheapest store of this kind that will maintain this price full time, not for a week or for a month. I'm sorry we can't make it cheaper but that's the way the world goes around.

It's weird to me that an indie bundle group would charge $2 and $3 for some games that have been offered previously bundled with other games for a minimum of $1 and blame it on developers.

By the way, the Indie Gala store is down. :lol:

#10082 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:28 AM

I think it could use a bit of a UI overhaul but overall I really like it. And I say this as someone who was very resistant to using another client at first. I like the idea of an optional client that you don't necessarily need to run to be able to play the games but it's there if you want them organized and updated. I also like that they are very supportive of, ahem, the I word and are not all high and mighty about not wanting to let this that or the other game in.

As much as I like Steam, sometimes their decisions baffle me. They've turned down some games that imho were quite good. Now if all of the games in their store were of the utmost quality I maybe could see it but they have quite a number of stinkers in there like Bad Rats. Once you let Bad Rats in you have no excuse for turning anyone's game down.

I agree about Desura. In fact, I like the way Desura works with Steam. It makes installing mods for games on Steam incredibly simple in a way that I would have murdered a nun for in the late 90s when Star Wars CTF, Action Quake 2, Team Fortress, etc. ruled my life. I realize that Steam Workshop may make it unnecessary in the future, but right now there's no easier way to play The Stanley Parable, Dear Esther (okay, now there is an easier, better way, but it costs money), and others.

Game of the year is here folks: http://www.desura.co...e-young-century

It's no Stay Dead. Now that's GOTY material available from Desura.

-vmePCPNKxA

#10083 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

My retail list is mainly PC. But, yeah - it's pretty extensive.

It probably goes as far back as Thief 2: The Metal Age (from Thief: Platinum Collection - Retail Box)...

EDIT:
Some untouched and/or unfinished stuff from Retail includes:
Warcraft 3 Battlechest; WOW Battlechest; Starcraft Battlechest;
Homeworld 1 & 2;
Gal Civ 1: Ultimate;
C&C Anniversary X; C&C 3 + Kane's Wrath; C&C: Red Alert 3;
Brothers in Arms: Bound in Blood + Hell's Highway;
Civilization Chronicles Box (Civ 1 + 2 + 3 + 4);
Contract JACK;
Blur;
Split Second;
DIRT 1;
Company of Heroes + Op Fronts;
Suffering: The Tie That Binds;
Lost Planet: Colonies Edition;
DMC3: Special Edition;
Overlord 1 & 2;
SimCity 4: Gold + SimCity Societies;
Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space (AKA Season 2);
Dawn of War 1: Gold Edition;
Age of Pirates 2;
SWAT 4 + Expansion;

Bah, that ain't even tipping the iceberg here of Retail games...

I'd give Lost Planet a play through if I were you. It's not the greatest game of all time, but it's a lot of fun, fairly unique, and the story isn't bad. I haven't played the second one, but the first is definitely a fun little game that has aged pretty well I think.

The multiplayer scene is probably pretty sparse. Single player is where it's at though (although the Akrid Hunter MP mode is a lot of fun).

Now I want to compile my backlog... I've easily got over 100 games to play, physical and digital. >_<

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#10084 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

I asked them why we were only allowed to use a certain number of points. I also said that I was disappointed because I have so many points and likely will not spend them because I was hoping to get free games, not discounts that matched Steam sale prices. This is the reply:

It's weird to me that an indie bundle group would charge $2 and $3 for some games that have been offered previously bundled with other games for a minimum of $1 and blame it on developers.

Knowing that this is the purpose of gala points, I've got no reason to ever buy a gala bundle on my own again. It's all happy hours for me from now on.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#10085 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:38 AM

In case anyone missed the Thief Collection during the Summer Sale, it's on sale on GamersGate right now for the same price: $6.74 (not sure if this has been mentioned).

Weird thing is that it says Thief Gold and II activate on Steam, but Deadly Shadows is Securom. Does that mean it's Steam + Securom, or just Securom? Kinda odd.

http://www.gamersgat...llection-bundle

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#10086 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

In case anyone missed the Thief Collection during the Summer Sale, it's on sale on GamersGate right now for the same price: $6.74 (not sure if this has been mentioned).

Weird thing is that it says Thief Gold and II activate on Steam, but Deadly Shadows is Securom. Does that mean it's Steam + Securom, or just Securom? Kinda odd.

http://www.gamersgat...llection-bundle

I'm guessing just Securom, which would mean I would rather wait for the next Steam sale to have them all on Steam. Of course, there is the fact that it seems to take a bit of tweaking to get the Steam versions of Thief and Thief 2 to play nicely with Windows 7, unlike the GOG versions :roll:

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#10087 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

I'd give Lost Planet a play through if I were you. It's not the greatest game of all time, but it's a lot of fun, fairly unique, and the story isn't bad. I haven't played the second one, but the first is definitely a fun little game that has aged pretty well I think.

The multiplayer scene is probably pretty sparse. Single player is where it's at though (although the Akrid Hunter MP mode is a lot of fun).

Now I want to compile my backlog... I've easily got over 100 games to play, physical and digital. >_<

http://backloggery.com/ Is a great game I've found for tracking backlogs. Takes a bit to set up if your backlog is large, but it's been so handy since i set it up last year. http://backloggery.com/jugglenaut There's my backlog if you want an example of it all set up.

#10088 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

http://backloggery.com/ Is a great game I've found for tracking backlogs. Takes a bit to set up if your backlog is large, but it's been so handy since i set it up last year. http://backloggery.com/jugglenaut There's my backlog if you want an example of it all set up.

Compiling my backlog has been in my backlog for awhile now.

bZ2g3eF.png

#10089 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

If there was a button that scanned my Steam/Gamtertag/PSN ID I'd use it in a heartbeat. Without that I just see hours of work adding my games ahead of me.

#10090 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

Oh good lord, I don't want to even think about this :lol:. Not the amount of work involved but the sheer amount of games.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#10091 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

I can triple confirm me and Mr. Bard went halfsies on the Supreme Commander Gold and both got gold with the keys (he got SC and FA and I got SC since I already had SC).

Awesome. Good to know. I just did this as well and used one of the two keys on Steam and it activated both games.

Edited by Necrotron, 07 August 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#10092 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

I agree about Desura. In fact, I like the way Desura works with Steam. It makes installing mods for games on Steam incredibly simple in a way that I would have murdered a nun for in the late 90s when Star Wars CTF, Action Quake 2, Team Fortress, etc. ruled my life. I realize that Steam Workshop may make it unnecessary in the future, but right now there's no easier way to play The Stanley Parable, Dear Esther (okay, now there is an easier, better way, but it costs money), and others.

It's no Stay Dead. Now that's GOTY material available from Desura.

-vmePCPNKxA

:-s That looks extremely terrible. Some of the action sequences are cringe worthy. I think it is a good premise, but poorly executed.

As for Desura- it's a terrible site to navigate. I have no idea how to find the games I own on my web browser. It takes me 5-10 minutes to find out where to enter a key. I tried to find out if they had a WL to add that game RS recommended only to gave up after 10 mins. Every page looks super clustered and too busy. I do like having a place to store games that aren't on steam, but other than that the place is too wild for me.
Posted Image

#10093 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

If they were going to use the discount system they have now, they should've chose different games. Most people interested in the Indie Gala store already have games from all of their previous bundles, so it makes no sense to make most of the selection on their store the same games they put in their bundles, or whats been in other bundles (like Groupees and Indie Face Kick). There are very few games in the store that weren't in any other bundles.

#10094 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

I would say over all: wii, ps3, ps2, ds, and psp I probably have around 75 games in my retail backlog.

Lol, I wish mine was that small, try 281 after I just found I have Indiegala IV, (forgot I bought in a group pack), downloading now.

Man, I am liking Desura more and more the more I use it.

Speaking of which, is this off topic? Sure. Any worse than the rest of the thread? Hell no.

Game of the year is here folks: http://www.desura.co...e-young-century

They had me at buxom :bouncy:
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#10095 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

I clicked this page and was like:

"Wait, did I click the indie gala thread?"

"Desure? Must be the Indie Royale Thread"

"Nope, definitely Indie Gala."

"Wait, what's gamersgate doing...oh, it's the steam thread..."

And yes, Gala points suck. Not that I had any, but still to use them as a coupon is just ughhhhhhh... I would have even prefered stupid stuff:

1. Indie Gala Swag
2. Exclusive Indie Gala In Game Items (Indie Gala TF2 hats anyone?)
3. Old indie gala bundles

Just a ton of other stuff they could have done with it. I mean a site that lets users buy complete bundles of games for less than two dollars can't really expect anyone to use their store.

"Passed on Ironclads or $1? Get it here for $40!"

It's just so ass backwards, anyone who has gala points likely has bought all the bundles. So why not at least offer newer/different games?

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#10096 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

If there was a button that scanned my Steam/Gamtertag/PSN ID I'd use it in a heartbeat. Without that I just see hours of work adding my games ahead of me.

That would be amazing, kinda like DLCQuickplay for game titles instead of song titles across all of your music games/systems.

Easy peasy, create ID, enter Gamertag/PSN ID and RB/GH site info and viola! Master library of songs across all platforms and game IPs.

If only....:applause:

TMG
http://dlcquickplay....ser/themadgamer

#10097 EarthBoundX5

EarthBoundX5

Chef Jesus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

Oh and on a totally unrelated note, if anyone besides me and Fox actually cared, the 360 wireless driving wheel controller does work with Rig 'N Roll. :lol:

Seriously, stop making me want stuff.

WHY MUST I KEEP WANTING MORE STUFF!!!

That is way too much work. There is a go to first new post since last visit button to the left of the thread title in the forum and a view first unread button by the thread tools.

I don't trust such things!

10 years ago I would have been all over this. Now, I just have no motivation to get wrecked all day by people with far more spare time than me.

On that similar note, a friend of mine got banned from 3 CS:S servers because they claimed he was using hacks...but he wasn't just that damn good!!

Man, I am liking Desura more and more the more I use it.

I've recommended it to alot just for the ease of installing mods with it.

I clicked this page and was like:

"Wait, did I click the indie gala thread?"

"Desure? Must be the Indie Royale Thread"

"Nope, definitely Indie Gala."

"Wait, what's gamersgate doing...oh, it's the steam thread..."

Ya, clearly even the act of talking about Steam has taken over everything.

I don't like having a sig, but for CAG, I figured I'd sheep along.

163177.pngfs_pc.png
http://gamercard.xbo...een/ChefJesusX5 eebeta-badge-small.png
GAP - Since 2003
CAG - Lurked well before current join date

#10098 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Okay, here's what you need to do. Throw Contract JACK away. If you have played NOLF2, you're set. If not, what the flying hell is wrong with you? NOLF1 and 2 are amazing.

Haha. Wholeheartedly agree!

76561197971332172.png

#10099 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Asked this yesterday and didn't get anything. Is there an alternative to steam mover that doesn't link the directories? I don't want my steam looking for an external drive when I move games away.

#10100 Rehykja

Rehykja

Diggles Gonna Dig

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Asked this yesterday and didn't get anything. Is there an alternative to steam mover that doesn't link the directories? I don't want my steam looking for an external drive when I move games away.

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V? The whole point of something like Steam Mover is to be able to play games that are on different drives then your Steam installation. If you just want to move the files for an installation why don't you just either back them up via the Steam client backup feature (probably preferred since it compresses them and saves space) or copy and paste them?
Wubwubwubwub.

#10101 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Knowing that this is the purpose of gala points, I've got no reason to ever buy a gala bundle on my own again. It's all happy hours for me from now on.

But you can get Penguin's Arena for 99 cents! :lol:

As for Desura- it's a terrible site to navigate. I have no idea how to find the games I own on my web browser. It takes me 5-10 minutes to find out where to enter a key. I tried to find out if they had a WL to add that game RS recommended only to gave up after 10 mins. Every page looks super clustered and too busy. I do like having a place to store games that aren't on steam, but other than that the place is too wild for me.

As far as I know, the closest thing they have to a wishlist is "Track this game" which is more like a RSS feed of news about the game, but I don't think they have an actual wish list.

As for activate, what I do is in the client click on the blue Desura icon in the upper right left (the other right :-P) corner, then from the drop down click Tools, then activate a game CD or gift. That keeps it really simple for me since I had been doing it that way. I know The End uses a bookmarked web link so that's possible too.

The old way was sort of a meta game for me where I would hunt and peck around through their UI and see how long it took me to find it. ;-)

I agree it needs work but nobody else really has a decent client for all of the indie games and mods that aren't on Steam.

WHY MUST I KEEP WANTING MORE STUFF!!!

FWIW the wireless 360 wheel actually does work well in the handful of games I tried it out in. For anyone who plays any sort of driving games I would really recommend it. It's not cumbersome at all unlike most wheel controllers.

Note that you do need the wireless dongle so you will either need to have one from the wireless 360 controller for pc pack or else see if you can get one by itself on Amazon or eBay.

#10102 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V? The whole point of something like Steam Mover is to be able to play games that are on different drives then your Steam installation. If you just want to move the files for an installation why don't you just either back them up via the Steam client backup feature (probably preferred since it compresses them and saves space) or copy and paste them?

But you can get Penguin's Arena for 99 cents! :lol:

As far as I know, the closest thing they have to a wishlist is "Track this game" which is more like a RSS feed of news about the game, but I don't think they have an actual wish list.

As for activate, what I do is in the client click on the blue Desura icon in the upper right corner, then from the drop down click Tools, then activate a game CD or gift. That keeps it really simple for me since I had been doing it that way. I know The End uses a bookmarked web link so that's possible too.

The old way was sort of a meta game for me where I would hunt and peck around through their UI and see how long it took me to find it. ;-)

I agree it needs work but nobody else really has a decent client for all of the indie games and mods that aren't on Steam.

FWIW the wireless 360 wheel actually does work well in the handful of games I tried it out in. For anyone who plays any sort of driving games I would really recommend it. It's not cumbersome at all unlike most wheel controllers.

Note that you do need the wireless dongle so you will either need to have one from the wireless 360 controller for pc pack or else see if you can get one by itself on Amazon or eBay.

Which wheel is this the old discontinued force feedback one or the new motion controlled one?
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#10103 erequena

erequena

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Reminder!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10104 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

I've been using the steam backup feature until I saw people talking about how it can destroy the entire steam install. I'd also like something more automated that will actually grab the files not in the common folder, specifically save files if anything would do that as well. So while I could just copy paste it's not what I'm looking for.

#10105 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

For those who are fans of Pendulo Studio's Adventure games, they are having a kickstarter (different site, same idea) for their new game.

Day One

Maybe it is just me, But doesn't 360k+ sound like a huge amount of capital to just make a adventure game.
Posted Image

#10106 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Maybe it is just me, But doesn't 360k+ sound like a huge amount of capital to just make a adventure game.

Double Fine asked for 400K minimum and they got over 3 million (and counting because they are continuing to take funds after the Kickstarter ended).

FWIW Pendulo games do have high production values. They're a bit more than your average indie bundle adventure game.

Which wheel is this the old discontinued force feedback one or the new motion controlled one?

The motion one I think but it does have "rumble feedback" it says.

It's the one here: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B0050SY0L2

#10107 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Has anyone else found the combat in Alan Wake to be a profound source of frustration?

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#10108 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Double Fine asked for 400K minimum and they got over 3 million (and counting because they are continuing to take funds after the Kickstarter ended).

FWIW Pendulo games do have high production values. They're a bit more than your average indie bundle adventure game.

The motion one I think but it does have "rumble feedback" it says.

It's the one here: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B0050SY0L2

I seem to recall that being $60 at launch, surprised it's $30. How comfortable is it though, it looks like it could get rather annoying quickly like any other sort of motion controller that doesn't have a mount.

#10109 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

I seem to recall that being $60 at launch, surprised it's $30. How comfortable is it though, it looks like it could get rather annoying quickly like any other sort of motion controller that doesn't have a mount.

I haven't played an all day gaming session with it yet or anything really long in one sitting but I played for a while and was fine with it. I never felt like I needed to put it down or anything like that.

For games that have sort of non-driving portions as well as driving it's a little odd but I can work with it. With the Rockstar stuff that has a lot of non-driving segments I'll have to give it a go for a longer test. I am thinking I might want to hot swap out to the regular controller then back to the wheel for driving. I don't want to do all controller in those games though because I'm terrible at the driving segments and the wheel controller does seem to help me a bit with that.

#10110 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

True, Then again Double Fine seems to have a lot of fan's for some reason. Just seems with Pendulo all their main fans will end up buying the game this way as a "pre order" and then once that is done they can easily offer the game up in bundles and in sales to make even more money .......I really need to become a indie developer time for me to acquire the rights to Bad Rats to make Bad Rats 2: Ratz in the Hood 8-)

"We are well aware of how we could have done a better job in Bad Rats 1. But I think with the funding we could really make the Bad Rats we wanted to complete with HD missions and different cats one can kill. We plan on adding in achievements and co-op multiplayer complete with cat killing upgrade paths you can unlock after killing enough kitty's"
Posted Image