Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V4! Insert witty comment here.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11094 replies to this topic

#10141 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

I feel like Payday is always on sale.

Because it is lol

I probably notice it so much because I have zero interest in it but I keep seeing it over and over and over. I almost feel like they are trying to wear me down to the point where I just go 'OH ALRIGHT ALREADY I'LL BUY IT! HAPPY!?'

I don't know, maybe if it were sinister evil real clowns instead of of just some bank robber guys dressed up in clown masks it would interest me more.

#10142 Guest_ne_zavarj_*

Guest_ne_zavarj_*

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

CS:GO is out, selling for $14 (10% off).

http://store.steampo...d.com/app/1800/

$12.28 in here .

#10143 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

I probably notice it so much because I have zero interest in it but I keep seeing it over and over and over. I almost feel like they are trying to wear me down to the point where I just go 'OH ALRIGHT ALREADY I'LL BUY IT! HAPPY!?'

I don't know, maybe if it were sinister evil real clowns instead of of just some bank robber guys dressed up in clown masks it would interest me more.

Haha, I have no idea if there's even a modding community (or even if Payday is mod-able) but ... there might be a mod for that? :P

I feel the same... they're wearing down my resolve with the sheer amount of times it's gone on sale... this time I might just pull the trigger.

#10144 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hotswapping would be best for those situations most likely.

Sounds like I'll look into picking one up to replace my sidewinder wheel with game port that I can't plug in or get drivers. How's the compatibility for PC racing games, if one works natively with a regular 360 controller should it work with this?

I hotswap controller/KB+mouse all the time for driving segments in GTA-like games, most recently SR3. In some FPSs, most notably Borderlands, I play with mouse in one hand and left-half of controller in the other (for analog movement).

A hassle-free alternative to the 360 controller that I like is the Logitech F510 or F710. It has a PS3 layout. On the bottom of the controller is a switch to set it in Xinput (360 native), or DirectInput (common pre-360 windows API). So no hassle with emulation software and better support for old games (and support for easy game-specific remapping with Logitech Profiler). I also really appreciate that the button below the start button togges strong/weak/no-vibration (some games really abuse vibration, my hands can't handle constant rumble). The button below select swaps left-stick and D-pad, which has been nice for some retro games. It has a solid rubberized feel.

Sorry it that was kinda rant-y, I have a grudge against the 360 layout going back to the OMG-too-big original X-box controller.

Also if you have a PS3 controller, the free motioninjoy drivers work well. You can hook it up to your computer by USB (any old micro-USB cable) or Bluetooth (some $2 amazon bluetooth controller works well for me).

#10145 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Has anyone else found the combat in Alan Wake to be a profound source of frustration?

i was disappointed with the combat in alan wake. after playing shooters like new vegas and borderlands and left 4 dead 2, the not being able to aim in alan wake is just really disappointing.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#10146 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

Annnd Arma II sales suddenly drop 10,000%.

Is there a point to doing this? You won't get the credit for it because obviously the winner won't click off that they received it. I'm sure there's some idiotic reason they do it but I'll be damned if I can make sense of it.

I feel like Payday is always on sale.

There was a week back in February where Payday The Heist was NOT on sale. 8-[
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#10147 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

A hassle-free alternative to the 360 controller that I like is the Logitech F510 or F710. It has a PS3 layout. On the bottom of the controller is a switch to set it in Xinput (360 native), or DirectInput (common pre-360 windows API). So no hassle with emulation software and better support for old games (and support for easy game-specific remapping with Logitech Profiler). I also really appreciate that the button below the start button togges strong/weak/no-vibration (some games really abuse vibration, my hands can't handle constant rumble). The button below select swaps left-stick and D-pad, which has been nice for some retro games. It has a solid rubberized feel.

Sorry it that was kinda rant-y, I have a grudge against the 360 layout going back to the OMG-too-big original X-box controller.

I have the F510 and really like it, it's a great gamepad and I've had zero problems with compatibility.

#10148 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

There was a week back in February where Payday The Heist was NOT on sale. 8-[

To be fair, Payday went a while without being on sale at all. I know because I had my eye on it for a while. Then in like February or March was when it first hit 75% off. Since then it's hit it every month and was even the free game of the month on IGN Prime. But it is a great little game if you like L4D style coop shooters.

#10149 gentlyporking

gentlyporking

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

i was disappointed with the combat in alan wake. after playing shooters like new vegas and borderlands and left 4 dead 2, the not being able to aim in alan wake is just really disappointing.

My thoughts exactly. I was holding off on playing Alan Wake forever (even though my anticipation was high), bought it during the steam sale and played it for about 30 minutes. The controls ruined it for me.

#10150 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Has anyone else found the combat in Alan Wake to be a profound source of frustration?

Absolutely not. It's very kinetic. You have to be constantly dodging and have good awareness of your back, tagging people with light where you can. Dropping flares when you get overwhelmed.

I loved it. One of my favorite shooters.

#10151 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

My thoughts exactly. I was holding off on playing Alan Wake forever (even though my anticipation was high), bought it during the steam sale and played it for about 30 minutes. The controls ruined it for me.

Absolutely not. It's very kinetic. You have to be constantly dodging and have good awareness of your back, tagging people with light where you can. Dropping flares when you get overwhelmed.

It's official, I suck at Alan Wake. :drool:
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#10152 iSerra

iSerra

With the new day comes new thoughts

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

$12.28 in here .

$12.28 from where?

#10153 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

EDIT: does anybody know whether it's possible to change the difficulty without starting a new game?

If it isn't in the pause menu, you can do chapter select. Chapter select checkpoints happen usually at peace->night transitions so you'd have to do the whole lovers peak hike from the start.

For what it's worth, the cinematic dodge is vitally important as is expecting when the enemies start their attack animations.

#10154 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Standalone DayZ game officially announced, with development to continue in parallel on the mod version.

Ill wait for that then. yay! hopefully its much cheaper.

#10155 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

I feel the same way. No interest but feel like it is wearing me down a little bit lol

#10156 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

I've always been tempted by Payday and may end up picking it up this time around. My backlog is just huge right now though - not sure if I would jump in on it now, or wait a while. I just can't see buying it now if I am not going to play it right away (since you all say it goes on sale so often).
On the other hand, with a game like this, isn't it better to jump in while the community is still strong?
Decisions, decisions...

#10157 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

I've always been tempted by Payday and may end up picking it up this time around. My backlog is just huge right now though - not sure if I would jump in on it now, or wait a while. I just can't see buying it now if I am not going to play it right away (since you all say it goes on sale so often).
On the other hand, with a game like this, isn't it better to jump in while the community is still strong?
Decisions, decisions...

If you want to do MP right now would probably be the best time to jump in. The new DLC will bring back some players and this is a game you can pick up and play for a map or two and then go do something else, so you shouldn't be worried about it being too much of a time sink.

#10158 HuntingNoob

HuntingNoob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Standalone DayZ game officially announced, with development to continue in parallel on the mod version.

I'll skip Arma DayZ then :D

#10159 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

I've been playing some Stacking today and I have to say this might be the best PC adventure game I've played (note, I really dislike the adventure genre even though I want to like the games). I'm only at the Zeppelin but I definitely recommend it.

#10160 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

If it isn't in the pause menu, you can do chapter select. Chapter select checkpoints happen usually at peace->night transitions so you'd have to do the whole lovers peak hike from the start.

For what it's worth, the cinematic dodge is vitally important as is expecting when the enemies start their attack animations.

So how does this work again? I've been holding SHIFT down to run; are you supposed to tap SHIFT and move? I'm also not sure if I'm shooting enemies when I'm supposed to (so I might be wasting a lot of ammo).

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#10161 HuntingNoob

HuntingNoob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

CS:GO is on my wishlist but suddenly I'm not that eager to play it.

#10162 FakeKisser

FakeKisser

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Arg...I can't decide if I want to pay $37.50 for the Darksiders II pre-order. I still haven't played the first. So, I basically have to decide if I want to play the first and second back to back in order to be "part of the conversation" soon after the second game comes out, or if I just want to wait until a sale in 2-4 months...

#10163 pcktlnt

pcktlnt

(vD ' ' )vD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

That explains why people were interested in Arma. I was interested in DayZ but not from purchasing a game to play. Happy news indeed.
2014 Completed ... Games
2014 Spending ... Games ... Movies

#10164 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

I've been playing some Stacking today and I have to say this might be the best PC adventure game I've played (note, I really dislike the adventure genre even though I want to like the games). I'm only at the Zeppelin but I definitely recommend it.

I wouldn't call Stacking an adventure game, for me it's more of 3rd person puzzle game. It's quite charming and I like it, but I finished the 2nd level and have yet to get back to it. I made a decision early on to only finish a level only after I've found every solution for each puzzle, and ended up playing the levels for too long.

#10165 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Arg...I can't decide if I want to pay $37.50 for the Darksiders II pre-order. I still haven't played the first. So, I basically have to decide if I want to play the first and second back to back in order to be "part of the conversation" soon after the second game comes out, or if I just want to wait until a sale in 2-4 months...

I got the first one near release and I absolutely loved it.

That being said I am waiting for a sale on this new one.

#10166 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

I got the first one near release and I absolutely loved it.

That being said I am waiting for a sale on this new one.

Yeah I mean the first one is a good game and all but it has been $5 a bajillion times now and THQ and Gamestop even gave 10,000 copies away free recently.

I want the second one but I don't $40+ want it. Hell I don't even think I $20 want it at this point. With THQ you're pretty much guaranteed the price will sink like a rock in not too much time.

Unless you have to have the collector's edition with the mask (don't think I didn't think about it, but the Dishonored whale oil lamp tempts me more) then I would wait.

#10167 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Chicks dig whale oil lamps

#10168 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Chicks dig whale oil lamps

And Coconut Queen. My girlfriend told me it was time to sleep last night and when I went into the bedroom she was playing it on her laptop and didn't stop for another 30 minutes. Dammit, Motoki....

#10169 FakeKisser

FakeKisser

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

Just found out the THQshop includes a "Season Pass" for the Darksiders II DLC. That's the stuff that makes pre-orders so enticing. Because the whole game with all the DLC will have to be below $50. Like you said, Motoki, it is likely it will get down to that relatively soon after, though.

I have enough in my backlog, I'll probably just hold off, as well. I'll just try not to feel too left out when I listen to podcasts discussing it. :P

#10170 dejeckt

dejeckt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Anyone know if Sniper Elite V2 on gamefly can be activated through steam? It's currently on sale for $24.99.